hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This year was our best chance at silverware I can remember in 50 years of Hibs.
    Including the 4 times we actually did win major silverware?

I can't believe the outpouring of angst on here, people do actually realise that in order to lose a cup final you have to get to a cup final, yes?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongJohnBanger View Post
    CJ, this genuinely isn't directed at you, I've just seen "accepting mediocrity" too many times now and I've ripped my knitting.

What does "accepting mediocrity" even mean when there is next to nothing we can tangibly do to influence the outcome of a Hibs game?

Secondly, for the people who throw that line around, what are they doing that those who "accept mediocrity" aren't? Demanding success? How do they propose delivering that success they demand? I'm really going to need more than "erm, get a new manager in, ken?".

Callum Davidson lost 7 out of his first 10 games in charge of St. Johnstone. I can only imagine the outrage the Hibs support would display if Hibs new manager had those results given that we finished 3rd in the league, have shown a demonstrable improvement on the season before and there are people wanting the manager who's spearheaded that gone.

It isn't accepting mediocrity to point to the fact that St. Johnstone have outperformed us in the league more often than not in the last ten years. Whatever they're doing with their smaller budget we should be trying to emulate and better rather than being a bunch of snobby ***** looking down our noses because we're seemingly a bigger club than them. How very Club 1874 of us.

St. Johnstone have had four managers since November 2007, Hibs have had TEN. That works out at less than 17 months in charge on average for a Hibs manager to deliver silverware - and I say silverware because as we've seen this season, 3rd in the league is "Not Good Enough".

Guess what? They've won three trophies during that spell, we've won one. And we have the audacity to behave like the spoiled bairns in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory thinking we're due something.

Our support needs to change. We are due nothing, we are guaranteed nothing, we should expect nothing and we build from there. That's not accepting mediocrity, that's the first step in building towards something better and responding to the disappointments along the way in a mature, adult fashion.
    Very good post.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    CJ, this genuinely isn't directed at you, I've just seen "accepting mediocrity" too many times now and I've ripped my knitting.

What does "accepting mediocrity" even mean when there is next to nothing we can tangibly do to influence the outcome of a Hibs game?

Secondly, for the people who throw that line around, what are they doing that those who "accept mediocrity" aren't? Demanding success? How do they propose delivering that success they demand? I'm really going to need more than "erm, get a new manager in, ken?".

Callum Davidson lost 7 out of his first 10 games in charge of St. Johnstone. I can only imagine the outrage the Hibs support would display if Hibs new manager had those results given that we finished 3rd in the league, have shown a demonstrable improvement on the season before and there are people wanting the manager who's spearheaded that gone.

It isn't accepting mediocrity to point to the fact that St. Johnstone have outperformed us in the league more often than not in the last ten years. Whatever they're doing with their smaller budget we should be trying to emulate and better rather than being a bunch of snobby ***** looking down our noses because we're seemingly a bigger club than them. How very Club 1874 of us.

St. Johnstone have had four managers since November 2007, Hibs have had TEN. That works out at less than 17 months in charge on average for a Hibs manager to deliver silverware - and I say silverware because as we've seen this season, 3rd in the league is "Not Good Enough".

Guess what? They've won three trophies during that spell, we've won one. And we have the audacity to behave like the spoiled bairns in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory thinking we're due something.

Our support needs to change. We are due nothing, we are guaranteed nothing, we should expect nothing and we build from there. That's not accepting mediocrity, that's the first step in building towards something better and responding to the disappointments along the way in a mature, adult fashion.
    Agree with this. Certainly don't want any sort of apology however the manager should imo have recognised in his after match comments how disappointed the fans would be. Bottom line is we have done well in the league no doubt however the mentality of players and probably coach does need to be be recognised as no way that was anywhere near good enough for a final. Jason Kerrs interview at the end he clearly said they wanted it more than Hibs and to be honest he was 100 per cent right.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree with this. Certainly don't want any sort of apology however the manager should imo have recognised in his after match comments how disappointed the fans would be. Bottom line is we have done well in the league no doubt however the mentality of players and probably coach does need to be be recognised as no way that was anywhere near good enough for a final. Jason Kerrs interview at the end he clearly said they wanted it more than Hibs and to be honest he was 100 per cent right.

Has perhaps Jack taken one for the team in this respect?

One misplaced line in the heat of the moment could have undone much of what had been achieved - he’s talked about building a culture - a lot of that will be behind the scenes the fruits of which may appear only further down the line.

However losing was a scenario that you can have some words prepped for to counter. Maybe he just couldn’t figure out what he’d just seen.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Can you imagine our reaction if Sevco had apologised to their fans for letting Hibs beat them in a one off game?

Condescending in the extreme.

Please close this thread.
    At least they made a game of it , I don’t think it’s too much to ask our captain on the day to apologise for what we all agree was an abject performance . I can’t think of a performance like that from any team I’ve ever watched in a cup final

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This has probably appeared elsewhere, but, Jackson Irvine on Twitter:

“After a tough and emotional couple of days I think it’s important to recognise the achievements of the team this season despite the overwhelming disappointment of Saturday. I wish we were able to give the fans and everyone at the club the day we all so desperately wanted.”
    That’s the best thing I’ve seen from Irvine since he joined. Thinks he’s better than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Very good post.
    Agree 100% 👍

It’s too late for an apology, you would like to think that a harsh but basic lesson was learned in that you have to work as hard as your opponents in an era where football has become much more scientific and eventually comes down to percentages and moments. We don’t have the quality just to turn up or not turn up as was the case on Saturday.

I think saying sorry would have been more apt than repeating the 'fine margins' line. After the Hearts semi defeat, I agreed with JR's response but we weren't close to winning that game Saturday. As many posters say, we accept mediocrity too easily as Hibs supporters. This year was our best chance at silverware I can remember in 50 years of Hibs. Can we expect any better soon?
    I say when Fletcher scored our 5th goal against Kilmarnock we had a higher chance

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Absolutely fantastic post.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Great post, well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Cracking post.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

Outstanding post.
    Thank you.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Very good post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Absolutely fantastic post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    Great post, well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Cracking post.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Outstanding post.
    Thank you.

HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Brilliant post

Still have my doubts about Jack Ross though and the players need their backsides booted into next week

Spoilt brat or not 😃

Ten out of ten Sir!

Left by mutual consent!
    Ridiculous thread.

Really?

Can I get an apology from Lothian Buses for my bus being late?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I think saying sorry would have been more apt than repeating the 'fine margins' line. After the Hearts semi defeat, I agreed with JR's response but we weren't close to winning that game Saturday. As many posters say, we accept mediocrity too easily as Hibs supporters. This year was our best chance at silverware I can remember in 50 years of Hibs. Can we expect any better soon?
    You don't understand the fine margins thing then.

As I've posted before, I think that had Irvine scored with his chance in the first half we would have went on to win. He didn't and ultimately St Johnstone merited the victory.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

Has there been much about "accepting mediocrity"? Sorry, I may have missed that because each thread is getting quite long with posts on a similar topic.

Our support is honestly not that different to any others. Fans are fickle, they are emotional and passionate. Football dies without that.

I genuinely think our fans get a really tough time: media agenda, club flattering to achieve and phrases like "Hibsed it". Adding to that, we also get grief and in-fighting between fellow fans while people are emotional.

I was brought up to be prepared to witness Hibs failing, not from external media. From Hibs supporting relatives. So, I don't think it's about people accepting mediocrity, it is more that some people are more fed up with witnessing mediocrity. That's not a dig at anyone, that's just the way it is. Some people are more emotional, some are more analytical with spreadsheets and graphs, and some are just mental.

People are different. Acceptance of that is the greatest problem in our support.

We are Hibs isn't We are the Borg.
    Last edited by madhatter; 26-05-2021 at 08:22 AM.

@hibs.net private member

Amazing. Close the thread.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

What a ****in great post.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbytheHibby2 View Post
    That’s the best thing I’ve seen from Irvine since he joined. Thinks he’s better than he is.
    Lol

'thinks he's better than he is' falls right in with 'accepting mediocrity'

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar

What a great post. You should be on a podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I couldn’t care less about apologies. And you can be sure that any statement the club put out would have been ripped apart anyway. Let lessons be learned behind the scenes and action taken to ensure we never see a performance as poor as that in a final again.
    What tangible action could be taken to ensure better performances? New players? New manager? New club mentality? If that latter, how do you instill it? When you consider that as a club we've lost 19 of the 25 major cup finals we've reached throughout our history, it seems that failing at the final hurdle is a deep-rooted affliction no matter who's in the team or who the manager is. The explosion of sheer euphoria and relief which greeted the 2016 cup win was accompanied (I think) by a sense that we've finally cracked how to handle these occasions. Last Saturday was so utterly demoralising that, for me at least, it stripped a lot of that belief away.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Lol

'thinks he's better than he is' falls right in with 'accepting mediocrity'

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    I know, although i'm guessing he must know Jackson and how much he rates himself.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I couldn’t care less about apologies. And you can be sure that any statement the club put out would have been ripped apart anyway. Let lessons be learned behind the scenes and action taken to ensure we never see a performance as poor as that in a final again.
    What action could be taken?

In the last 10 years, some big sides have taken batterings or not turned up in finals.

Italy lost the Euro 2012 final 4-0. Juventus lost the 2017 CL final 4-1.

We made massive strides from 2012 to 2016. We've now had a setback. There is no need for this nonsense. Progress has been made, a setback has happened, more progress is needed.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    What action could be taken?

In the last 10 years, some big sides have taken batterings or not turned up in finals.

Italy lost the Euro 2012 final 4-0. Juventus lost the 2017 CL final 4-1.

We made massive strides from 2012 to 2016. We've now had a setback. There is no need for this nonsense. Progress has been made, a setback has happened, more progress is needed.
    Yep, good perspective. You could also add Brazil in the 2014 WC semi to the list!

Let's not forget that St Johnstone have only EVER won three major honours. Two of them happen to have been in the last 12 months. Does this mean they're doing things way better than everyone else? Or have the stars just aligned this season? Did they plan for their keeper to go up the field and score a last minute equaliser against the Huns? Or did they just get lucky?

For comparison, I remember many on here a few years back bemoaning why Scotland were so far behind Iceland, Iceland clearly had the right strategy etc etc. Where are we today? Euros about to start, Scotland in them, Iceland not. Scotland 8 places above Iceland in the world rankings. Nobody much mentioning Iceland as an example for others any more.

Everyone likes to create a narrative around events. Let's see where St Johnstone are next season, and let's see where Hibs are.

To all those calling for the manager's head since Saturday: had we scored first, and held on in a dire game and won the cup, have a think about how you would be feeling about Jack Ross now. Still calling for his head?