hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately Ross's industrial style football doesn't allow creative midfielders like Allan and Mallan.

Mallan never got punted off to Turkey, he like Gullan wanted more game time and the opportunity came up. BTW 14 games and 2 goals isn't a bad return for a 4 month loan for Mallan..
    It allowed Allan last season and begining of this season so thats just completely made up.

Mallan has never done enough and Ross still tried to play him and give him a chance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    They're really not. He was in great goalscoring form when he first joined, and still scores an above average amount. His general play is just very poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It allowed Allan last season and begining of this season so thats just completely made up.

Mallan has never done enough and Ross still tried to play him and give him a chance.
    The original post stated that Mallan and Allan would have offered a different dimension on Saturday. Given the state of our bench, then that is 100% true.

Rather than just admit that Mallan is a better option than the likes of Drey Wright or Magennis, you've used the thread as yet another platform to repeat your lazy imbalanced negative over the top critique of him. Your general analysis is just very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    The original post stated that Mallan and Allan would have offered a different dimension on Saturday. Given the state of our bench, then that is 100% true.

Rather than just admit that Mallan is a better option than the likes of Drey Wright or Magennis, you've used the thread as yet another platform to repeat your lazy imbalanced negative over the top critique of him. Your general analysis is just very poor.
    You keep saying that, but its not true. Your problem seems to be more with me than what I'm saying.

Its impossible to know if Mallan would've offered more. If it was anything like his performance in the 2-2 draw with St Johnstone, he would've made it worse. Wright and Magennis did offer nothing, I agree there. Maybe all 3 aren't good enough? Mallan certainly isn't. Allan would've offered something, but I don't blame Hibs for loaning him out.

My analysis isn't lazy or imbalanced. I've given him plenty of good reviews, especially when he first joined. But he just isn't a good enough all round player to play for Hibs consistently. He isn't at the level of Scott Allan at all

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    It is amazing how absence enhances his reputation, next we will be calling for him to be in the Scotland squad this summer. He got punted off to the Turkish leagues for a reason.

Decent player, good dead balls and can hit a long shot, but nowhere near as dynamic a midfielder as we need, already we have a midfield of statues with no movement and energy and Mallan makes that worse.

We should be building a formation / system / option that gets the best our of Scott Allan.
    A Dynamic midfielder like Joe Newell? He was totally anonymous on Saturday and offered nothing. I’m beginning to the think there’s a touch of the emperor’s new clothes about him. He plays the occasional decent ball but more often than not he slows it down and plays a short pass to Hanlon. Either Mallan or Allan would have been an improvement on him at the weekend. Not that the rest of the midfield was much better though.

And I agree that we should be building the midfield round Allan for next season.

Basically that's all I am saying, that even on paper Mallan and Allan would have potentially gave us better of the bench, especially when there was very little evidence to suggest the others could pop up with an assist never mind a goal.

Finally, the rest of the midfield could have benefitted by being more balanced, the threat was always provided by the right hand side of the team and the opposition were well aware of that, we played a succession of right footed players on the left side who have never been comfortable and it has slowed us down and made us predictable more often than not.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    A fit Scott Allan in my opinion is a certain upgrade in our midfield, he's not fit though and cant be judged as so. Mallan on the other hand gets better the longer he's away, not my favourite player, and i wouldn't have him in the team.

Saying that, i'd play him before Newell, a player i really don't understand how he gets a game.

Testimonial Due
    I'm not convinced either would have made any difference on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    I'm not convinced either would have made any difference on Saturday.
    Mallan might have scored a 30 yards screamer tbf.

That's the only way either of them would have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    A Dynamic midfielder like Joe Newell? He was totally anonymous on Saturday and offered nothing. I’m beginning to the think there’s a touch of the emperor’s new clothes about him. He plays the occasional decent ball but more often than not he slows it down and plays a short pass to Hanlon. Either Mallan or Allan would have been an improvement on him at the weekend. Not that the rest of the midfield was much better though.

And I agree that we should be building the midfield round Allan for next season.
    Mallan would be lost in the midfield as usual a d Allan could have made a difference of course has circumstances been different and I thought Newell did ok on Saturday getting on the ball and taking it forward with him on a few occasions. He needs movement and options in front of him who move, we wern't doing a lot of that on Saturday.

He is a good player who can look after the ball better than our other midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Mallan would be lost in the midfield as usual a d Allan could have made a difference of course has circumstances been different and I thought Newell did ok on Saturday getting on the ball and taking it forward with him on a few occasions. He needs movement and options in front of him who move, we wern't doing a lot of that on Saturday.

He is a good player who can look after the ball better than our other midfielders.
    I read this a lot, when has turning round in circles with the ball and passing it sideways or backwards looking after the ball well?

All it does is let the opposition get back into their shape, and lets our centre backs launch it forward aimlessly. For some balance, Newell has in the past drove forward and had shots at goal, or put people in, but for way too long in my opinion he has been a passenger.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I read this a lot, when has turning round in circles with the ball and passing it sideways or backwards looking after the ball well?

All it does is let the opposition get back into their shape, and lets our centre backs launch it forward aimlessly. For some balance, Newell has in the past drove forward and had shots at goal, or put people in, but for way too long in my opinion he has been a passenger.
    I like Newell, but agree with this. Mikey Stewart on commentary highlighted the particular problem Newell's slow play was causing us in an attacking sense.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    I like Newell, but agree with this. Mikey Stewart on commentary highlighted the particular problem Newell's slow play was causing us in an attacking sense.
    Newell was playing well before he picked up an injury. Since then he's been blowing hot and cold.

I was a fan before but the sight of seeing him jogging around the park on Sat with 15 mins to go in a SC final done it for me.

He wasn't alone in that respect though.

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    Newell was playing well before he picked up an injury. Since then he's been blowing hot and cold.

I was a fan before but the sight of seeing him jogging around the park on Sat with 15 mins to go in a SC final done it for me.

He wasn't alone in that respect though.
    What injury?

What injury?
    He had a groin injury not long ago.

It wasn't anything major and i'm not making excuses for him either. We started to pick up results in his absence but he got his place back automatically when he was fit again. I didn't think at the time he should have walked back into the team.

He had a groin injury not long ago.

It wasn't anything major and i'm not making excuses for him either. We started to pick up results in his absence but he got his place back automatically when he was fit again. I didn't think at the time he should have walked back into the team.
    Was this the injury he got a couple of weeks ago, as i think he's been missing for a lot longer than that?

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Was this the injury he got a couple of weeks ago, as i think he's been missing for a lot longer than that?
    He's had a few injuries this season that seemed minor but seemed to keep him out for a lot longer.

It's genuinely frustrating watching now negative he can be.

I actually think Gogic and Irvine formed a good partnership when Joe was out injured at the start of the year. Wasn't the same after he came back.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    He's had a few injuries this season that seemed minor but seemed to keep him out for a lot longer.

It's genuinely frustrating watching now negative he can be.

I actually think Gogic and Irvine formed a good partnership when Joe was out injured at the start of the year. Wasn't the same after he came back.
    I agree, think we went on a decent run did we not with Gogic, Irvine and Murphy? I was looking forward to Newell coming back in but I dont think he's been great since he has.

That's fair enough, you don't rate him but the general consensus on here until fairly recently was that he's had a good season.

First Team Breakthrough
    What’s not really been addressed on this thread is if Mallan and Allans futures lie elsewhere can Hibs supply sufficient funds to replace like with like.Such as :-

A creative midfielder who can split an opposing defence with a single pass thus creating a goal scoring opportunity.Also taking his ow goal tally into double figures for the season.

Also an industrious midfielder who’s delivery of set pieces is far superior to those of the current midfield.Also taking his goal tally to double figures.

Does anyone have an answer ?

David Wetherspoon type player🤔

Looking forward to seeing Mallan and Allan in Hibs shirts next season.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Why would we send a fit Stevie Mallan out on loan if we planned to use him in future?

I cant see him playing much, if at all. Likely to be moved on.

That's fair enough, you don't rate him but the general consensus on here until fairly recently was that he's had a good season.
    Was it?

Maybe we should have a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Mallan left to get game time but as he wasn't in Ross's plans I can't see him getting game time, I think there's an option to buy on his loan deal.

Interview with Stevie as he went out on loan. States that Ross didn’t want him to go but he felt it was the best for him to get more game time. Similar to Allan I suppose.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.d...m-23454823.amp

Blog Entries
    I don’t think anyone should hold their breath waiting for Mallan coming back to ER. I suspect his Turkish team will take up their option to buy and get him for a nominal fee.

Happy to see them both back in training today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I don’t think anyone should hold their breath waiting for Mallan coming back to ER. I suspect his Turkish team will take up their option to buy and get him for a nominal fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Happy to see them both back in training today.
    Well I got that one wrong. I’m happy with that.

Mallan should stay.