hibs.net Messageboard

2016 and Yesterday.

Aside from the oppposition and the team what were the main differences in approach between 2016 and yesterday? In no particular order I'm thinking:

- An inspirational pre match team talk from the manager.

-Team named the day before, not the week before.

-A man of the match performance from our striker.

-Targetting the opposition's weak point. Tavernier. Cross balls.

-A team full of leaders able to react when going behind.

-Good use of substitutes.

-Set about the opposition from the off. Stokes tackle/foul, McGinn, Fyvie.
    Last edited by Crab apple; 23-05-2021 at 10:12 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The manager recognising that we needed to change something when we went behind. Not just a like for like sub, but actually changing the shape of the team.

An unplayable Anthony Stokes - supported by many others at the top of their game.

No Hibs player stepped up yesterday.

Close the thread.

Anthony Stokes played the match of his life that day. We had no-one on the pitch yesterday who even came close to putting in that sort of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An unplayable Anthony Stokes - supported by many others at the top of their game.

No Hibs player stepped up yesterday.

Close the thread.
    Easy to forget that we were losing with 10 minutes to go in 2016. They had a belief about them though. And the manager did something to try and change things.

depth in the bench is a big factor. Stubbs was able to change it because he had options. Boyle and Marv never even got on the pitch that day. yesterday we're bringing on hallberg a player many were ready to punt a few months back, to save the game. there's been many baffling decisions but the choice to go with a small squad and not sign a striker in Jan is up there big time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

John McGinn in midfield.

A player who actually left every ounce of himself on the park every single time. A player who actually won 1st and 2nd balls in midfield.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    2016 we had guys who were prepared to go the extra mile, yesterday we had guys who weren't prepared to go the distance

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We lost, that is the only difference.

If one of the two Hibs players had stopped Wotherspoon getting the cross in for the goal there is every chance, penlty aside, that this turgid encounter would have petered out to a nil nil draw and penalties. We might even have won, and who would have cared about approaches and performance then?

This game followed the pattern of nearly all Hibs St J games this year. Tactical wars of attrition with strong, nullifying tactics from St J with the right amount of ability to take rare opportunities that came their way and a lack of creativity and purpose from Hibs with our big players not showing up then getting dispirited.

Crap game to watch for the neutral, extremely disappointing for us but no doubt St J won’t give a ******.

Best midfield trio around in Fyvie, Mcgeouch and McGinn.

Star player turned up. Stokes and McGinn vs Nisbet and Boyle

I'm actually so raging at Nisbet. Utter crap yesterday. ****ed the Hearts semi as well. Yesterday was his chance to redeem himself. Zero effort and a **** shot not even on target start of 2nd half.

*Fyvie.

I’m not going to get into what was different as I’ve no ideas about the team talks and how they compared.

I’d imagine having better players back then is the main thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    Aside from the oppposition and the team what were the main differences in approach between 2016 and yesterday? In no particular order I'm thinking:

- An inspirational pre match team talk from the manager.

-Team named the day before, not the week before.

-A man of the match performance from our striker.

-Targetting the opposition's weak point. Tavernier. Cross balls.

-A team full of leaders able to react when going behind.

-Good use of substitutes.

-Set about the opposition from the off. Stokes tackle/foul, McGinn, Fyfie.
    The difference for me was the intensity. There just wasn't any yesterday [for me it seemed like a pre-season friendly] . The Macey penalty save could have been the spark but it made no difference. That is pretty much unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    The difference for me was the intensity. There just wasn't any yesterday [for me it seemed like a pre-season friendly] . The Macey penalty save could have been the spark but it made no difference. That is pretty much unforgivable.
    I was jumping about like a dafty when Macey saved the penalty because I thought that gave us a chance. We had the best part of 20 minutes after that and did absolutely nothing. I really thought we’d waken up and give it a go. I was wrong.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurry Face View Post
    A bit unfair to say apart from the opposition when that was probably a massive difference.
    Rangers play was far more open and attacking allowing space for a flow to the game.
    St Johnstone built their success on a rigid defence and attack on the break.

We weren’t able to get past their defence, that isn’t the only time it has happened nor are they the only team that has played that way.

If it was easy to get past that style of play , St Johnstone wouldn’t have made it to the final.
    They put out a team who went undefeated in the league this season. They’re a very good team.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    They put out a team who went undefeated in the league this season. They’re a very good team.
    St Mirren beat Rangers as well, and we took 9/9 points from them.

To try and put things in context. Rangers have swept away almost every team at Ibrox domestically and in Europe and couldn’t beat St Johnstone in the cup at Home. I think we need to give some credit to St Johnstone and how they set up against attacking teams. The Nesbit interview maybe gave away or mentality for the game “ if we take the lead we will win the games” kind of implies if we go behind we wouldn’t win?

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Many factors but here’s another. In 2016 it felt like the team had the same passion, hunger and desire as the support. Yesterday they looked like they were playing with the passion, hunger and desire of someone doing the weekly Tesco shopping.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Many factors but here’s another. In 2016 it felt like the team had the same passion, hunger and desire as the support. Yesterday they looked like they were playing with the passion, hunger and desire of someone doing the weekly Tesco shopping.
    I put more effort into picking Mothers Pride or Hovis Seeded Batch in the weekly shop at Tesco than they did yesterday.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Bottle and passion.

2016 team had a wonderful attitude and so much desire. From watching Time for Heroes it was clear they simply weren’t losing that game. They simply weren’t going to allow it to happen. This team just feel completely flat tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Bottle and passion.

2016 team had a wonderful attitude and so much desire. From watching Time for Heroes it was clear they simply weren’t losing that game. They simply weren’t going to allow it to happen. This team just feel completely flat tbh.
    Everything felt completely flat with no crowd in the stadium and the Time for Heroes banner looked particularly sad draped across some empty seats.

Perhaps if fans had been there they might have given the team the rocket they needed, but on the flip side they might have sent the players even further into their shells.

Ask the question, who from yesterdays starting 11 would have made the 2016 starting 11. The answer is Paul Hanlon(*) - and only because he was in both teams.

(*) A case could be made for Macey as well

Bottle, passion and a manager that actually knew what the fk he was doing.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Best midfield trio around in Fyvie, Mcgeouch and McGinn.

Star player turned up. Stokes and McGinn vs Nisbet and Boyle

I'm actually so raging at Nisbet. Utter crap yesterday. ****ed the Hearts semi as well. Yesterday was his chance to redeem himself. Zero effort and a **** shot not even on target start of 2nd half.
    Yep I can hardly remember him showing once in the 2nd half. Hence all these aimless long balls. Anyone looking at him for the first time would be incredulous if they were told he was in the Scotland squad.

This thread really does prove the phrase “History is written by the victor”

The week before the 2016 final the majority of posters couldn’t have cared less if we didn’t see any of those players ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I agree NB but I just thought our approach was flat and uninspiring this time compared to 2016 regardless of the opposition. We know St Johnstone are well organised and difficult to beat but we follow the same failed approach each time. The Sheep are unbeaten in four games against them and relegated Hamilton have beaten and drawn with them so they're not unbeatable.