hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First Team Breakthrough
    Our record in cup finals is both depressing and shocking. Played in 25 and won 6.
    St Johnston played in 4 and won 3
    Hearts played 23 won 12
    Aberdeen 31 won 13

Only Dundee Utd come close having played 17 and only won 4.

Probably down to the fact that finals are often very cagey affairs and as we never seem to have a solid defence we very rarely come out on top. Still cannot believe Ross went with Porteous over Mcgregor he should have been the first name on the team sheet.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Dobosz83's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dobosz1983
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure where I’ve said anywhere that today was ok or that we should be ok with losing it?

We were ****ing brutal, the team shat the bed and never turned up. I’m as pissed off as I’ve ever been at a performance.
    You’ve basically suggested in this thread that we should be happy that we can get to the lofty heights of losing big games as other clubs in this country can’t.

Quote Originally Posted by ED Hibee View Post
    Our record in cup finals is both depressing and shocking. Played in 25 and won 6.
    Hearts played 23 won 12
    Aberdeen 31 won 13

Probably down to the fact that finals are often very cagey affairs and as we never seem to have a solid defence we very rarely come out on top. Still cannot believe Ross went with Porteous over Mcgregor he should have been the first name on the team sheet.
    Absence of Darren made no difference today

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobosz83 View Post
    You’ve basically suggested in this thread that we should be happy that we can get to the lofty heights of losing big games as other clubs in this country can’t.
    No I’m not. I’m saying that the fact we get to those stages shows that mentality isn’t the issue. If our mentality is bad, imagine how ***** the other teams who don’t reach those stages must be.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by ED Hibee View Post
    Hearts played 23 won 12
    Aberdeen 31 won 13

how many of ours are against the old firm? genuine question.

saints 2 are this season and 1 was 2014, stats are easy to skew when you're a top cup side one season and win both finals. it's not sustained success.

Aberdeen, I'm guessing, but I bet their successes will be around Ferguson time? I'm 35 and I don't remember them winning much.

hearts... apart from 98 and against us I can only think of Gretna. league cup ... hahahaha

we always get there we just forget to turn up, maybe we should pretend the final is a semi final

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough Dobosz83's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dobosz1983
    No I’m not. I’m saying that the fact we get to those stages shows that mentality isn’t the issue. If our mentality is bad, imagine how ***** the other teams who don’t reach those stages must be.
    Who are those other teams though? Since the turn of the millennium we’ve lost to Celtic, Livingston, Hearts, Celtic, Ross County and now, St Johnstone. 3 of those clubs shouldn’t be in the chat, and I’m not including the diabolical semi final matches against Aberdeen, Falkirk, Dunfermline and also, St Johnstone.

This club, despite its resources, underachieves on steroids. Its a embarrassment. Sadly, besides 2016, it’s got its own phrase ‘Hibsed it’ - unfortunately, it seems despite a new owner, mediocrity is ok.

Yeah Stranraer East Fife etc must be kicking themselves 😂 please don’t shirk thiis Jibs for 50 years or more have had a budget advantage over all but four teams. Motherwell, St J and others have regularly finished above us can’t be a coincidence

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Yeah Stranraer East Fife etc must be kicking themselves 😂 please don’t shirk thiis Jibs for 50 years or more have had a budget advantage over all but four teams. Motherwell, St J and others have regularly finished above us can’t be a coincidence
    Sound.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Who are those other teams though? Since the turn of the millennium we’ve lost to Celtic, Livingston, Hearts, Celtic, Ross County and now, St Johnstone. 3 of those clubs shouldn’t be in the chat, and I’m not including the diabolical semi final matches against Aberdeen, Falkirk, Dunfermline and also, St Johnstone.

This club, despite its resources, underachieves on steroids. Its a embarrassment. Sadly, besides 2016, it’s got its own phrase ‘Hibsed it’ - unfortunately, it seems despite a new owner, mediocrity is ok.
    Hearts, Airdrie, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Clyde

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar

That's a great post.....despite our resources, we consistently fall short.....its infuriating.

Why are we so weak ?
    25 finals 6 wins !!...Holy ****.....that's not this team, that's hibs over the years!....

We clearly don't have a winning mentality....all very well having these quotes on the walls, but it's on the park we need drive, desire, steel.
    Paul Hanlon must be the most insipid captain in our history....
    This was a day for Mcgregor....
    Nisbet, JHC...selected for the euros !
    Boyle, brutal again....500k release clause, please.

No cohesion, 3 Separate units, with the main tactic, play it across the back, then shell it up the park...fantastic

Hibs man, they don't make it easy.

St johnstone have got our number....my god, 4 in a row....st johnstone, 4 in.a.row.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

It was an example to counter the list of defeats, it doesn’t forget anything. It’s called balance.

We beat Hamilton 0-2 in the relegation play off. How strong must the mentality have been that night!!
    Really, really strong. Until the second leg...of a play-off we should never have been in. Still, never mind, we can pick and choose our "mentality" when it suits us, eh?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    Really, really strong. Until the second leg...of a play-off we should never have been in. Still, never mind, we can pick and choose our "mentality" when it suits us, eh?
    That’s exactly the point I’m making. Neither were about mentality on its own.

To label the whole club as forever mentally weak is wrong, and demonstrably so. That’s the point. Picking one or two wins as evidence of mental strength is as ridiculous as picking defeats to show mental weakness.

@hibs.net private member

Is 3rd place mediocre? Or is cup wins the measure now?

It’s obviously easier to win 5 games in a row rather than achieve consistency over 38 games so maybe we should target that.

That’s exactly the point I’m making. Neither were about mentality on its own.

To label the whole club as forever mentally weak is wrong, and demonstrably so. That’s the point. Picking one or two wins as evidence of mental strength is as ridiculous as picking defeats to show mental weakness.
    Far easier to demonstrate Hibs weakness have a wee peak at our Derby record especially our home Derby record.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Is 3rd place mediocre? Or is cup wins the measure now?

It’s obviously easier to win 5 games in a row rather than achieve consistency over 38 games so maybe we should target that.
    Hibs seem to find it difficult to win 5 games in a row look at our cup record. We also seem to find it difficult to finish third In recent years we have found it easier to be relegated.

This was a poor league (Rangers unbeaten) and yes I know you can only beat what is in front of you. We lost so many home games Livvy Ross C Motherwell 7-0 on aggregate. Yet still comfortably finished third don’t know what that says about Hibs or the league.

I do know Aberdeen sacked their manager when finishing fourth.
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 23-05-2021 at 07:46 AM.