hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 423 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously? Do I have to on every thread?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    McGrath will be a good signing for someone either this summer or next year when his contract expires.
    Agreed with others on this. He’s not even a standout in the st Mirren team in general play.

@hibs.net private member

Summer 2021-22 transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    McGrath will be a good signing for someone either this summer or next year when his contract expires.
    Yes he will, good player...two footed and good passer...like him a lot

And does he not have 15 goals this season ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigwheel; 28-04-2021 at 10:18 AM.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    I'd prefer Ali Mccann at St Johnstone

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    I'd prefer Ali Mccann at St Johnstone

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    We can’t afford him. They want £2m

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    We can’t afford him. They want £2m
    I’d imagine Jason Kerr won’t be far off £1m/£2m as well. No chance we can afford them.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I’d imagine Jason Kerr won’t be far off £1m/£2m as well. No chance we can afford them.
    Don’t think he will be, McCann is an international player now

Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    Jason Kerr
    Alan Campbell
    Declan gallagher
    Leigh Griffiths
    Get it done and we will be third next year too.
    To be a better team the players we bring in have got to be an improvement on the current incumbents, or at least their equal but giving us a better shape or team togetherness. So who in your eyes Jammy drops out from our usual starting line-up to accommodate each of the above? (Can't see us forking out the necessary in fees/wages just for them to be squad players.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Jason in final year of contract i think?

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    I’m wondering about how the club will approach ins and outs of transfers if we win the SC.

I say that with the monetary rewards, the need to have a ‘settled and familiar’ with each other team, and the increased number of games Europe would bring on top of everything else in mind.

Also, I think Ron Gordon has mentioned having a smaller squad. I trust Hibs to do what they think is the right thing but I personally think we will need more in than out, but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    I’m wondering about how the club will approach ins and outs of transfers if we win the SC.

I say that with the monetary rewards, the need to have a ‘settled and familiar’ with each other team, and the increased number of games Europe would bring on top of everything else in mind.

Also, I think Ron Gordon has mentioned having a smaller squad. I trust Hibs to do what they think is the right thing but I personally think we will need more in than out, but what do I know.

I agree, if we get group stage European football, I think we need to increase the squad size

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    To be a better team the players we bring in have got to be an improvement on the current incumbents, or at least their equal but giving us a better shape or team togetherness. So who in your eyes Jammy drops out from our usual starting line-up to accommodate each of the above? (Can't see us forking out the necessary in fees/wages just for them to be squad players.)
    I think nisbet may be off so griffiths ideal replacement on a free.
    Gallagher/Kerr walk into the starting line up infront of mcginn imo. Although chance Porteous leaves anyway.
    Alan campbell replaces gogic, or Irvine if he doesn't extend his deal.

Coaching Staff
    Gallagher/Kerr walk into the starting line up infront of mcginn imo. Although chance Porteous leaves anyway.
    Campbell replacing Gogic would be a huge waste of £400k or whatever his compensation is. Gogic is one of our best players and Campbell has been anonymous pretty much every time I’ve seen him.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Campbell replacing Gogic would be a huge waste of £400k or whatever his compensation is. Gogic is one of our best players and Campbell has been anonymous pretty much every time I’ve seen him.
    They could probably play together tbf, but I don't think I'd have Campbell in over Newall or Irvine.

They both do just about as much defensive work as Campbell and are both better in possession at passing and dribbling imo.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    The same McGinn that has been one of our most consistent and best performers?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    They could probably play together tbf, but I don't think I'd have Campbell in over Newall or Irvine.

They both do just about as much defensive work as Campbell and are both better in possession at passing and dribbling imo.
    I’d take Campbell (If we can’t keep hold of Irvine)

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    The same McGinn that has been one of our most consistent and best performers?
    Can Gallagher or Kerr bomb forward from centre half? We depend on McGinn and Hanlon supporting the wingback, and part of the reason Boyle has had such a good season is because McGinn can switch between defence and attack so easily.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Think Campbell will improve and would potentially net us a big fee in the future. I’m not sure Gogic has much more development in him, although think he’s quite inexperienced at this level and also iplaying in midfield so he might well do.

I know there’s more to a defensive midfielder than just tackles and interceptions and a lot of the good stuff like tracking your man, holding up the opposition etc is unquantifiable. However I’m sure Campbell had better tackling and interception stats than Gogic when someone posted those stats the other week. He has also scored more goals than any of our midfielders in a struggling Motherwell side. Not a sleight on Gogic but I think Campbell would be an upgrade and make our midfield collectively better.

My spider senses seem attuned to any Campbell or John Collins debates to weigh in on 😀

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Think Campbell will improve and would potentially net us a big fee in the future. I’m not sure Gogic has much more development in him, although think he’s quite inexperienced at this level and also iplaying in midfield so he might well do.

I know there’s more to a defensive midfielder than just tackles and interceptions and a lot of the good stuff like tracking your man, holding up the opposition etc is unquantifiable. However I’m sure Campbell had better tackling and interception stats than Gogic when someone posted those stats the other week. He has also scored more goals than any of our midfielders in a struggling Motherwell side. Not a sleight on Gogic but I think Campbell would be an upgrade and make our midfield collectively better.

My spider senses seem attuned to any Campbell or John Collins debates to weigh in on 😀
    If Gogic was to be replaced, I don't think Campbell is much of an improvement, if at all. Based on his performances against Hibs this season.

We need to set the bar higher, or we're simply replacing for the sake of replacement.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I think Gogic has improved as the season has gone on. He was definitely the combative defensive player we needed but I think his passing and overall positive contribution has got better as the season has gone on. Campbell has always seemed to me to have a better reputation than the reality has shown. He may become a better player though with a better team with better players like Gogic has.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I think Gogic has improved as the season has gone on. He was definitely the combative defensive player we needed but I think his passing and overall positive contribution has got better as the season has gone on. Campbell has always seemed to me to have a better reputation than the reality has shown. He may become a better player though with a better team with better players like Gogic has.
    For this reason I'd rather we signed players that are ready to go, rather than might be ready sometime in the future. I think we are now at the stage to kick on, and we dispense with experiments. I'd like to see us sign players that are an immediate improvement to what we have, bearing in mind there are no guarantees.

One way we can improve for me is cutting out defensive errors. Maybe the likes of mcginn bombing on etc and supporting wing backs is part of the reason why we get sucker punched..if we just have 3 centre halfs doing the jobs they're supposed to which is defending it may make us a more solid outfit..campbell can play a bit more than gogic and can also do the combative side of things, and like previous posters he has a potential sell on value which fits into our model.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    For this reason I'd rather we signed players that are ready to go, rather than might be ready sometime in the future. I think we are now at the stage to kick on, and we dispense with experiments. I'd like to see us sign players that are an immediate improvement to what we have, bearing in mind there are no guarantees.
    Yeah, maybe didn't make it clear but I agree. I think we already have our long term improvement player in Magennis. If we are looking to make more signings then for me they need to be guaranteed starters who0w immediately improve the 1st XI.

Campbell would be my first signing. I think he's top quality, and the main reason we almost ignored the middle of the park v Motherwell.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Campbell would be my first signing. I think he's top quality, and the main reason we almost ignored the middle of the park v Motherwell.
    McInnes said on Premier sports, that his agents 1st choice was to get him a club down south

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    One way we can improve for me is cutting out defensive errors. Maybe the likes of mcginn bombing on etc and supporting wing backs is part of the reason why we get sucker punched..if we just have 3 centre halfs doing the jobs they're supposed to which is defending it may make us a more solid outfit..campbell can play a bit more than gogic and can also do the combative side of things, and like previous posters he has a potential sell on value which fits into our model.
    I'm sure it might have happened once or twice, but I can't think of any goal we've conceded this season from a counter attack as a direct result of Hanlon or McGinn stepping forward to support the attack and getting caught out of position. They both choose when to step forward carefully, and have Newall and/or Gogic covering the space they vacate.

If you want to play a back 3 and be a side that's comfortable having a lot of possession then you need at least one but preferably two of your centre backs to be good at stepping forward and playing the ball out from the back. McGinn and Hanlon are great at this and that's been a big part of our success in recent weeks.

Hanlon and McGinn are perfectly good at "doing the jobs they're supposed to" while also stepping forward when required. Hanlon is in the who scored team of the season due to him having comparatively more tackles, headers, interceptions, clearances and blocks per game than most other centre backs in the league.

Coaching Staff
    I don’t understand your last sentence.

If he is top quality he does an excellent job of hiding it when they play us, or any other game I’ve seen him in so far.

Defending is a team game for me and we defend from the front. Doidge has been superb in games chasing back.

What I would say though is if a defender or even the keeper makes a mistake they are the last line of defence and you can be punished by this.

Also I don’t get this Campbell thing! He ok but not a player we should be breaking the bank for. I’d look to get Gogic signed up on a longer deal and a new contract for Irvine.

Campbell will cost a development fee and whilst I’m not sure what that is I’m sure I read £400k? I maybe wrong. Unless we get him for a low fee with sell on I wouldn’t sign him!

We could use the money to sign a CH that would enhance/improve our current set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    I'm sure it might have happened once or twice, but I can't think of any goal we've conceded this season from a counter attack as a direct result of Hanlon or McGinn stepping forward to support the attack and getting caught out of position. They both choose when to step forward carefully, and have Newall and/or Gogic covering the space they vacate.

If you want to play a back 3 and be a side that's comfortable having a lot of possession then you need at least one but preferably two of your centre backs to be good at stepping forward and playing the ball out from the back. McGinn and Hanlon are great at this and that's been a big part of our success in recent weeks.

Hanlon and McGinn are perfectly good at "doing the jobs they're supposed to" while also stepping forward when required. Hanlon is in the who scored team of the season due to him having comparatively more tackles, headers, interceptions, clearances and blocks per game than most other centre backs in the league.
    How do you think we can improve? I always see us as being weak mentally and physically defensively compared to some other teams, St.Johnstone for example. We clearly have a better midfield and forwards, so surely it's something we are doing defensively that's losing us big games. Hopefully we can win this cup, but if we fail with the midfield and attack we have then there's something far wrong. Mcginn isn't the biggest attacking or defending set pieces either. Putting a solid centre half in would make us stronger in that department.
    Last edited by JammyDoidger; 28-04-2021 at 04:50 PM.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Jason in final year of contract i think?
    Nope , His contract is up May 2022