hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only time we see you on here during a Scotland game is to have a go at any Scottish central defender bar Paul Hanlon. I think it's a bit odd.
    Great goal from SJM. Good point based on the game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Enjoyed that a lot, which is something I'm finding increasingly common under Clarke. Can't wait for the fans to be back in there.
    I’ve got very into watching the Scotland games the past 5 or 6 games or so. The team is on the up and is improving. We’ve got lots of good players now and have finally qualified for a tournament. The mood is much better at the moment and rather than play it down, it’s good to get excited about it.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    McGinn is the best midfielder i’ve seen play for Hibs.
    Keeps adding a few million to his value as each season goes by.........scoring against good international opposition keeps his value soaring

Thought we were unlucky not to win that. Austria are no mugs and I didn’t think we were as bad as some people were making out, other than a bit of a slow start.

Good point. Showed bags of character to come from behind twice. A poor start but I thought we grew into the game and played well for long spells. Austria are a good side.

I like this Scotland team under Clarke. There are obvious limitations and there is a sizable gulf between our best players and some of the others we have starting. However there is a growing sense that it's a fairly settled squad and one which wants to pay for the shirt, the manager and each other.

Good point for Scotland and a great goal by McGinn for the equalizer. I still hate listening to McCann though, he's an annoying twat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Great goal from SJM. Good point based on the game.
    I'm not so sure.
    I think we looked every bit as good as them - even better for a fair bit of the game. I'm not overly disappointed with the draw but feel we could've beat them.
    I thought young Jack Hendry looked a wee bit out of his depth. Didn't follow his man into the box for the 1st goal and didn't get tight enough to his man for the 2nd. We'd have been better sticking with McKenna or Gallagher (or even Porto for that matter)

As I’m always slagging of Scotland CBs both will not be happy with the 2nd goal. Hendry is on the wrong side and Hanley has too much space behind. Communication key in that area. Hopefully they learn if we are going with that 2. It’s a very well taken goal by the striker.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    As I’m always slagging of Scotland CBs both will not be happy with the 2nd goal. Hendry is on the wrong side and Hanley has too much space behind. Communication key in that area. Hopefully they learn if we are going with that 2. It’s a very well taken goal by the striker.
    You forgot to mention how Hanlon would have cleared the ball easily while farting the national anthem.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    You forgot to mention how Hanlon would have cleared the ball while farting the national anthem.
    He can do that! Wow

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    I'm not so sure.
    I think we looked every bit as good as them - even better for a fair bit of the game. I'm not overly disappointed with the draw but feel we could've beat them.
    I thought young Jack Hendry looked a wee bit out of his depth. Didn't follow his man into the box for the 1st goal and didn't get tight enough to his man for the 2nd. We'd have been better sticking with McKenna or Gallagher (or even Porto for that matter)
    We’re not even convinced Porteous should be starting for Hibs!

You forgot to mention how Hanlon would have cleared the ball easily while farting the national anthem.
    Paul Hanlon doesn’t fart.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    No need to mention it. It goes without saying.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I'm not so sure.
    Jack Hendry has been going very well this season by all accounts. Presuming that’s correct then he’s most likely streets ahead of Gallagher.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    We’re not even convinced Porteous should be starting for Hibs!
    I know he's one that is regularly debated but I think he'd have fared better against that big Austrian striker than Hendry did.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    McGinn is the best midfielder i’ve seen play for Scotland.
    😉👍

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Jack Hendry has been going very well this season by all accounts. Presuming that’s correct then he’s most likely streets ahead of Gallagher.
    Can't say I've seen even 1 game he's played in so my opinion on his current form is really non existent.
    I'm just calling it as I seen it tonight and think that McKenna or Gallagher would have been more solid. He looked pretty weak to me. I get it's all about opinions as to who should be in the squad and who shouldn't and I'm not saying my knowledge of football is better than Steve Clarke's but on tonight's showing I don't think Hendry is ready for international football at this level

There is real potential in this squad now tbh. We do have quality in most areas. But we need to start going after teams and not let them dictate us.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Gallagher has been excellent for Scotland though. Bit more physical than Hendry

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Keeps adding a few million to his value as each season goes by.........scoring against good international opposition keeps his value soaring
    Totally intrigued about this.Do we know for sure there is a sell on clause.If so do we know what the percentage is .Even if we have a sell on clause who is to say John is going to leave Villa.Read an article recently in a Brummie paper and if you take him at his word he is totally settled there .My point being best not to speculate on what if any furture fiscal value he will be to Hibs but just appreciate what a great wee player he is who still loves Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Changing the central defence has cost us although I can see why he's done it. Have to say Robertson has been really poor.

Robertson,poor........again.

I know he's one that is regularly debated but I think he'd have fared better against that big Austrian striker than Hendry did.
    Fair enough - I was surprised to see Hendry involved too and definitely
    not convinced he’s a long term solution, but hadn’t realised he’s been showing great form out on loan. Gallagher is the one I would have went with but again didn’t notice he hasn’t been starting for Well recently. I’ve never been a McKenna fan to be honest. Tough playing against that big boy and his header was excellent.

I’d have been comfortable with Mctominay continuing at the back too but he was really good in midfield tonight. Surprised to see both Hanley and Hendry coming in but wasn’t complaining as I’ve been calling for McGregor to be dropped from the midfield for a while.

It’s a decent enough point. I reckon we just drew with the best team in the group and a win on Sunday would make it a positive start.

And I love John McGinn.

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Thought he was good in the second half pushed us on and put a few decent balls in.

With a 6 foot 7 centre forward you need to stop the cross. Tierney makes an arse of giving the ball away trying to be too smart and then McGregor doesn’t do nearly enough to stop the cross.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thought he was good in the second half pushed us on and put a few decent balls in.
    Having a right back that isn’t anywhere near good enough doesn’t help. It means teams can pin Robertson back and leave O’Donnell on the right hand side. That’s what happened first half tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Fair enough - I was surprised to see Hendry involved too and definitely
    not convinced he’s a long term solution, but hadn’t realised he’s been showing great form out on loan. Gallagher is the one I would have went with but again didn’t notice he hasn’t been starting for Well recently. I’ve never been a McKenna fan to be honest. Tough playing against that big boy and his header was excellent.

I’d have been comfortable with Mctominay continuing at the back too but he was really good in midfield tonight. Surprised to see both Hanley and Hendry coming in but wasn’t complaining as I’ve been calling for McGregor to be dropped from the midfield for a while.

It’s a decent enough point. I reckon we just drew with the best team in the group and a win on Sunday would make it a positive start.

And I love John McGinn.
    Can't really argue with any of that - particularly the point about MacGregor.
    I also love John McGinn lol

Testimonial Due
    That goal, better than Zidane.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    With a 6 foot 7 centre forward you need to stop the cross. Tierney makes an arse of giving the ball away trying to be too smart and then McGregor doesn’t do nearly enough to stop the cross.
    Agree to an extent though still think the centre halfs should have been much more physical with the scorer. Hendry didn't cover himself in glory for either goal.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    As noted during the game. Lainer pinned Robertson back into his own half.

Alaba was poor too, because we did the same. This is the problem with having an out-and-out star of the show...he's very easy to stop. In the Liverpool & Bayern teams the opponents have to worry about 11 of them (or at least did last season!!).

That said, Robertson had a great second half when Clarke allowed Tierney to get up the park on the left hand side to release Robertson from his defender which worked a treat.

When you look back on the game, it’s a bit **** from a Scotland perspective.

We’re at home. We’re starting off a new campaign. We’re playing a team higher than us in the fifa rankings, sure, but not exactly a leading world nation. We play with one striker 6 midfielders and are battered for large chunks of the game, surrender most of the possession and emerge with a point thanks to McGinns magic. But it’s still a poor result against a team we’ll have to finish above and fundamentally Clark’s tactics are so negative, I thought there would be a new optimism and positivity after euro qualifying and maybe a taking off of the handbrake. Doesn’t seem that way.