hibs.net Messageboard

Qualifying for Europe through the cup

With the new European conference coming into play for next season, I think it is time for the scottish football authorities to revisit the pecking order of the european qualification.

Clearly it is a quirk this year, however, as it stands, if the Scottish cup is played to a finish this season, the winner is guaranteed group stage european football. So there is the potential for a smaller club to get this huge prize.

Surely the authorities should want teams representing scotland with a realistic chance of contributing to the coefficient.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any european qualification on offer to the cup winner, but it seems short sighted to offer the only direct route into the Europa League to a team that only needs to win 5 games.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Agree. The "first" EL place should go to the team that finishes third.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    I'm not 100% but I'm sure all domestic cup winners get into the Europa league. Certainly looks that way on Wiki so it might not be up to the SFA/SPFL.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not 100% but I'm sure all domestic cup winners get into the Europa league. Certainly looks that way on Wiki so it might not be up to the SFA/SPFL.
    I think it’s UEFA that insist on it, they want to recognise the importance of national cup competitions.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I think it’s UEFA that insist on it, they want to recognise the importance of national cup competitions.
    If thats the case, then fair enough I guess.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    This has reminded me of the Brondby games. Cummings onside "offside" goal and the McGinn pen miss that sent us out...we were superb over two legs, especially away.

I won £2000 from a £1 bet as I had Gray and 1-0 Hibs in 90 mins.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Rumours that the Cup will be finished next season, wonder where that leave the eventual cup winner

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Rumours that the Cup will be finished next season, wonder where that leave the eventual cup winner
    No European place on offer again I would imagine.

It'll go to the team finishing 3rd this year. No chance we are finishing the cup this season.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    It'll go to the team finishing 3rd this year. No chance we are finishing the cup this season.
    If UEFA allow it

@hibs.net private member
    If UEFA allow it
    Then it should go to the last team to win the scottish cup....which is Celtic. Celtic will already qualify so it should go to the last team outside of Celtic to win the scottish cup!

Hibs as previous cup winners or hibs for finishing third!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    Then it should go to the last team to win the scottish cup....which is Celtic. Celtic will already qualify so it should go to the last team outside of Celtic to win the scottish cup!

Hibs as previous cup winners or hibs for finishing third!
    👍🏻

High and dry!
    Given the pandemic UEFA have bigger things to worry about.

What’s the chat with Europe if we finish third? How many games do we play until we get to the group stages?

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    What’s the chat with Europe if we finish third? How many games do we play until we get to the group stages?
    I believe if the Scottish Cup is scrapped, we go into the Play offs of the Europa League - if we win that round we go into the group stage of the Europa League and if we lose we go into the group stage of the inaugural Europa Conference League.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    If we get the place intended for the cup winners we will be in the Europa league play-off round. Win that and we are in the Europe league group stages. Lose and we drop into the conference league group stages instead.

If we finish fourth or someone else wins the cup and gets that place we will enter the 2nd qualifying stage of the conference league and need to win in three rounds to get to the group stage

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I believe if the Scottish Cup is scrapped, we go into the Play offs of the Europa League - if we win that round we go into the group stage of the Europa League and if we lose we go into the group stage of the inaugural Europa Conference League.
    That’s a fantastic opportunity for us, either way we get European group stage football.

Thanks folks 👍

Absolutely no chance the Scottish cup is finished this season. Whoever finishes 3rd will get guaranteed group stage European football.

Being logical about the situation that suits us best.

Better 3rd place prize up for grabs and then we can win it twice next yer.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Absolutely no chance the Scottish cup is finished this season. Whoever finishes 3rd will get guaranteed group stage European football.
    Is this Europa league group stages or the new European competition group stage? Or in simple terms if cup cancelled does 3rd give us what the cup winners would have got?

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Is this Europa league group stages or the new European competition group stage? Or in simple terms if cup cancelled does 3rd give us what the cup winners would have got?
    Guaranteed the group stages of the new conference league but would also play in the play offs of the regular Europa League beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    For selfish reasons I hope you're right, but I'm not too sure just yet

At the end of the day it's only 5 rounds of fixtures which need to be played and apparently the SFA are determined to finish it before summer

Could Uefa dictate that a national cup winner should still be put forward, if there is one?

Like is there any chance of them switching it to the league cup winners if the scottish isn't played?

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monts View Post
    Could Uefa dictate that a national cup winner should still be put forward, if there is one?

Like is there any chance of them switching it to the league cup winners if the scottish isn't played?
    In theory UEFA can do whatever they want – it's their competition so they make the rules.

However, with the precedent set last season when the place from the delayed Scottish Cup reverted to the league placings, it seems pretty unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Yes if the cup is scrapped or postponed until next season, based on what happened this season, 3rd place will take the Scottish Cup place, 4th will take 3rd place and 5th will take 4th place.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Guaranteed the group stages of the new conference league but would also play in the play offs of the regular Europa League beforehand.
    Cheers! Really huge incentive. And with sheep in free fall real chance to drive home opportunity and extend gap.