hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on Andy Doidge is bang average at best.
    He’s actually excellent at his best, which he has shown many times. In this league he is well above average

2. Log in to remove the advert

Doidge is part of a group of players who are well clear in 3rd. Calling him average at best is unfair. He's a nightmare for defenders and even when he doesn't score he's making chances for others. We were screaming out for a player like him for years.

Doidge is average yet he keeps getting picked to lead the line. 😂

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    And would get picked at every team outside the top 2.

@hibs.net private member
    I wish we had more bang average players like Doidge. If some Hibs fans can’t see what he brings to the team maybe Yogi was right when he said “fitba folk ken”

Left by mutual consent!
    He doesnt even approach average if we're talking natural goalscorer. I haven't been his biggest fan but now accept his other talents talked about here make him a very important part of our current side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    He doesnt even approach average if we're talking natural goalscorer. I haven't been his biggest fan but now accept his other talents talked about here make him a very important part of our current side.
    Yes, his 133 careers goals in 344 games, better than 1 in 3 shows he is a hopeless goalscorer.

He is an above average goal scorer and a quality player. Vital in our season so far.

Coaching Staff
    No, he's not.

He's played a bit of a different role this year with Nisbet getting a bigger share of the goals, but last season he scored 19 goals in 39 games for us.

A quick look at prominent Hibs strikers shows Fletcher's best was 14 in 35 games, Kenny Miller got 13 in 38, Garry O'Connor got 20 in 45. Mixu's best was 12, Killen got 16 and Archibald got 15 in 44 total games.

He does a lot more but even on goal scoring he is doing fine overall.

Newell would have signed by now if he was going to.

I reckon he will be away back down to England.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Newell would have signed by now if he was going to.

I reckon he will be away back down to England.
    Not necessarily, he could be just waiting to see how the season progresses and if he gets any better offers in from Championship clubs. If we come third we may be in a position to offer Newell, Marciano, Irvine improved terms to what is currently on the table.

Doidge has been miles from his best this season but even at his current level he's a hugely important player for us.

If he gets back to doing what he's capable of then he's one of the best in the league.

I'm critical of him but it's only because I rate him.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Irvine has brought a real difference to the midfield and others have benefited from it. I’m glad our game against Ross County was postponed as it gives him some extra time to recover from the last game.

Really looking forward to seeing how Joe benefits from Irvine in the team. Having a midfield 3 of Irvine, Gogic and Newell, with Cadden and Doig running the flanks sounds pretty solid to me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Yes, his 133 careers goals in 344 games, better than 1 in 3 shows he is a hopeless goalscorer.

He is an above average goal scorer and a quality player. Vital in our season so far.

It would be interesting to see how many of his goals have come off his shoulder instead of head, his shin instead of foot, off a defender instead of missing the goal. Look I now rate the job he's doing at Hibs as I've said and won't comment any more as its not the right thread but I'll maintain he cannot be classed as a natural goalscorer.

It would be interesting to see how many of his goals have come off his shoulder instead of head, his shin instead of foot, off a defender instead of missing the goal. Look I now rate the job he's doing at Hibs as I've said and won't comment any more as its not the right thread but I'll maintain he cannot be classed as a natural goalscorer.
    He’s an all round striker who also scores goals. Couldn’t care less what part of his body he scores with, he scores them. He misses loads of chances, but creates far more, and scores his fair share. GOC, Fletch etc none of them were ‘natural goalscorers’ and all missed plenty chances. They still scored loads and their all round game was what made them outstanding players. Doidge not quite at their level but he’s definitely in the same mould.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Only the uglies have scored more than us therefore we must be doing something right. This wouldn't be the case if one half of our strike force was as useless as some make out.

I dont think it matters if anyone is categorised as a natural goal scorer. I'm all for strikers who score 20 goals off their shins etc.

I dont think it matters if anyone is categorised as a natural goal scorer. I'm all for strikers who score 20 goals off their shins etc.
    Me, and everyone else saying Bruno scored a peach yesterday, even though it was off his shin. A goal is a goal, whether a yard out off your arse or a 45 yard lob.

I'm glad the Ross out/Doidge is pish brigade aren't in charge of our football club

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I'm glad the Ross out/Doidge is pish brigade aren't in charge of our football club
    Oh, I dunno... you should hear Wee Ron when he's got a drink in him.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Oh, I dunno... you should hear Wee Ron when he's got a drink in him.
    I have a very funny mental picture in my head now !

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Would it be interesting? I couldn’t care less how they go in.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    Irvine has brought a real difference to the midfield and others have benefited from it. I’m glad our game against Ross County was postponed as it gives him some extra time to recover from the last game.

Really looking forward to seeing how Joe benefits from Irvine in the team. Having a midfield 3 of Irvine, Gogic and Newell, with Cadden and Doig running the flanks sounds pretty solid to me.
    I'd much rather see Allan or Murphy in there over Gogic against most teams in the league.

Gogic is great for games when we need an enforcer (against Aberdeen or the old firm, or when the pitch is terrible), but I wouldn't be starting him every week.

In most games I'd much rather see a hibs midfield where every player has good technique, can take players on and play defence splitting through balls a la McGeouch-McGinn-Allan. Think with Newell-Irvine-Allan/Murphy we're close to having that again.

I wonder how many Robertson or McCoist scored in similar fashion? Two players who are hailed as fantastic goal scorers in Scotland’s history often scalfed and scuffed balls in to the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    I'd much rather see Allan or Murphy in there over Gogic against most teams in the league.

Gogic is great for games when we need an enforcer (against Aberdeen or the old firm, or when the pitch is terrible), but I wouldn't be starting him every week.

In most games I'd much rather see a hibs midfield where every player has good technique, can take players on and play defence splitting through balls a la McGeouch-McGinn-Allan. Think with Newell-Irvine-Allan/Murphy we're close to having that again.
    Midfield has been perfectly balanced the last few weeks with Gogic, Irvine and Murphy. Getting the best players on the pitch doesn’t necessarily add up to the best balance IMO.

It’s Gogic, Irvine and one other for me. Newell has a battle to get back in the team for me, as I don’t think he’s the one to play that bit further forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post

Funnily enough I think the team looks much more balanced when Gogic is in there irrespective of who we're playing.

Every team carries a threat against us of some sort, often on the break. Having someone like Gogic in there to win the ball back quickly will stop weaker teams from getting any sort of foothold in the game.

When we play badly as a team he tends to stick out like a sore thumb but I think he's had a cracking few games of late, and he had a few good games at the start of the season when we were playing well too.

At the moment it is looking to me like it is seriously stiff competition for that third midfield place between Murphy, Allan and Newell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I wonder how many Robertson or McCoist scored in similar fashion? Two players who are hailed as fantastic goal scorers in Scotland’s history often scalfed and scuffed balls in to the net.

McCoist 584 games 290 goals, 1 in 2,

Robertson 570 games 229 goals around 1 in 2.5

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    McCoist 584 games 290 goals, 1 in 2,

Robertson 570 games 229 goals around 1 in 2.5
    yes but how many of them were sclaffed !

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    McCoist sclaffed loads in a team that created loads of decent opportunites. Robbo was an excellent finisher in a Hearts team that had Neil MacFarlane. His hight was an issue or he'd have had many more caps.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I'll be back in a fortnight while I look at every goal they scored.
    Both were excellent poachers who did all their work inside the box, Linekar was another, if you ask them to do more you take away their scoring ability, being the right positions is how they scored so many.
    Shearer was a different type, he worked harder and scored many from outside the box.

Back to Newell, being reported that we may be struggling to tie down both Newell and Rocky, I must admit that if they were signing I think they'd have done it by now. Maybe both want to be nearer family as it has been a very tough year for everyone.