hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Boyle

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Martin Boyle

Boyle speaks about his off field issues.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...erdeen-3127089

Great to see him recovering his form and hopefully his Dad will do the same.

This is why I was out of the team for Rangers'
    Hibs forward Martin Boyle opens up on off-field scare after downing Aberdeen

After a testing time on the pitch and a horrendous time off it, Martin Boyle has reason to smile again.

The disappointment of the recent Betfred Cup semi-final defeat was acute but it was put into perspective for Boyle.

“My father fell unwell which was a shock and I went in to see [manager Jack Ross] and he has been brand new and allowed me to have a day off training. I then came back and had to put it to the back of my mind. That is why I was out of the team for Rangers but I know that he would kill me if I wasn’t playing so, thankfully, I have managed to pick up and I am just putting in a shift at the moment. Hopefully, that can continue.

“It is tough but I felt the best place for me was to come into training and not just stay at home and pace about the house. But, at the same time, trying to juggle football with the off-field issues has obviously been hard. The club have been brilliant, and my wife, and I have my daughter’s company to help but, at the same time, I know my father would kill me if I allowed it to affect my performances on the pitch and, thankfully he has come through this bad spell and hopefully he is on the mend.”

Recuperating from a stroke, his dad Graeme has been watching his son’s exploits on tv and, with four goals and three wins from the past three games, they have proved more uplifting than Hallmark’s finest greetings card.

“I always phone him after the games and he texts me. He is chuffed at the moment and I have been able to see him in these tough times which is good but I am happy to be out there doing my business and glad he is on the mend.

“It has been a good week. I’ve hit a bit of form which has been good. I have been a bit patchy this season...so, to pick up and help my team-mates as much as I can is good.”

It is payback for the support they have offered him during a tough time.

“My team-mates know all about it and have been there for me. Thankfully he is coming through it.

“Usually the boys look to me to be the clown in the dressing room so it was good to see the other side of them for once. We actually do have some jokers in there!

“It was good. They all helped pick me up and I now feel I’m back to myself. I’m getting back to my best, which is good.”

That could be said about several of the Leith squad. The wins against Dundee United and St Mirren lifted morale but it was the performance as well as the outcome that elevated Saturday’s triumph over their Pittodrie rivals.

On a day when play was fairly even, it was Hibs who were the more incisive in possession and the more defiant in defence.

Against a team they tend to struggle against and who had recorded two wins out of two in the previous head to heads this term, there were even opportunities for the home side to ensure a more empathic scoreline. A couple of them fell to Boyle but, like his team-mate Chris Cadden, he was foiled by the visiting goalkeeper Joe Lewis.

“Yeah, I could have had four, maybe,” admitted the Aussie international striker. “But I’m happy with one and two is a bonus. There have been multiple times this season when I could have had three but I have been putting in a shift and, look, Joe is a top goalie and a big boy so I have to be happy. I am happy.”

Of the two he did score, the first came in the 27th minute from the penalty spot after Jamie Murphy had been clipped by Connor McLennan.

The second came as Hibs played to their counter-attacking strengths. Just on the pitch, substitute Lewis Stevenson played a ball in behind the Aberdeen rearguard, Boyle who had been astute in beating offside and getting beyond the defence, once again slipped the leash and was able to send an angled drive beyond Lewis and into the far corner of his goal.

If they maintain their grip on third place and finish that high in the league for the first time in 16 years, Europe awaits. With competition for places in the starting line-up heightened in recent weeks and such lofty incentives on offer, Boyle says it is up to the players to deliver.

“We know what is at stake at the end of this season and we want European football. At the same time we also had an opportunity to win a trophy and that wasn’t given to us and we didn’t show up on the day and we got punished.

“The semi-finals weren’t good enough and we had to come out in this [game against Aberdeen] and show that we have a fighting spirit in this team and give the fans what they deserve.

“We know that we have the capability to finish [third] but we need to earn the right.

“There are still some massive games and I'm sure there will be twists and turns to come. We have a big game next week [Ross County]. They turned us over here last month so we have a full week to prepare and get ready for it.”

2. Log in to remove the advert

Get well soon Mr Boyle Snr.

Family is everything eh

@hibs.net private member
    Best wishes to Mr Boyle senior - the fruit of who's loins is a source of great pleasure to all Hibees

Martin Boyle = Hibees STAR

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    Yet again - football put in perspective.

I's very easy for us fans to cast judgement and criticise players off days but forget they are human and can have issues outside of football that affect their game.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Especially important during lockdown to keep in mind like is all players are human with all the stresses and strains we have. Amplified when your loved ones are sick.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Really pleased that there is now an awareness of mental health in football at both clubs and from fans. It's really important.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Especially important during lockdown to keep in mind like is all players are human with all the stresses and strains we have. Amplified when your loved ones are sick.

If you could tell that to the idiots on social media who like to throw abuse at our players, manager and club after every defeat that would be great.

The match day thread on Hibs.net is a fine place to let off some steam and I’ve no problem with that. But direct abuse is too much.

Get well soon Boyle snr. Your son is doing all of us proud.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Get well soon Boyle snr. Your son is doing all of us proud.

Wishing his father a full and swift recovery, good to know that he's making progress. Brave of Martin to open up too, fortunately the Boyle family is so full of character and will rally round each other. 💚

Best wishes to Mr Boyle Snr

On the subject of Mr Boyle Jnr, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but every time I watched the series The Vikings and I saw the character Ubbe, all I could see was Martin Boyle !

Attachment 24332Attachment 24332
    Attached Images Attached Images

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aljo7-0 View Post
    Yet again - football put in perspective.

I's very easy for us fans to cast judgement and criticise players off days but forget they are human and can have issues outside of football that affect their game.
    Totally agree. Just goes to show what can be going on off the pitch. Boyler is getting better and better this season and thought Saturday was his best performance of the season. Long may it continue.

Perfect example of how players just don’t become rubbish overnight and that they are human and have things going on in there personal life

Our players or any player in Scotland don’t have the luxury of having someone who can sort everything for them which allows them to live in a football bubble like the premiership stars do

Hopefully mr Boyle senior is on the mend and this is a great chance for fans to realise placeyers are people too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    I really hope that when people read this thread they take time and reflect that everyone has a life and we are all human , we all have family and friends , and deserve some respect . Fortunately ,Martin isa chip of the old block and will bounce through this , but it’s not every kid who can so take time and think .

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Wish him all the very best. Good to hear his team mates have his back, as well as the manager.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    I really hope that when people read this thread they take time and reflect that everyone has a life and we are all human , we all have family and friends , and deserve some respect . Fortunately ,Martin isa chip of the old block and will bounce through this , but it’s not every kid who can so take time and think .
    Great point ...sometimes on here you sense fans think the players are robots, and should be on top form every game ..they are humans , with the same ups and downs we have on our jobs and lives. We just don’t have 20000 people commenting on us each day ....

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Great interview from Martin Boyle. Echoing what others are saying here about how players are only human and also wish his Faither a positive recovery.

I think the switch of formation and introduction of Cadden and Irvine has been great for Boyle. He is no longer the only real creative outlet. He’s got a right hard worker playing behind him in Cadden, then there is Irvine’s passing and ability to spot Boyle’s clever runs.

Boyle’s never shirked the hard work, he’s a fine Hibernian. I just wish we could all get behind him and roar him on just now

Here's hoping Martin's dad makes a good recovery. Thankfully it sounds like he's past the worst of it and is on the mend. 💚

'nuff said!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    'nuff said!

They say a picture can speak a 1000 words, but it can also mask many more!

Boyle is a character and when training, playing, etc he is the class clown... seeing this from him is a great sign but it doesn’t mean that all is well underneath or at home.

I know this post wasn’t intended to trivialise his personal hardships but let not judge a book by its cover. All the best to Boyle Snr and Martin and his family are all doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    They say a picture can speak a 1000 words, but it can also mask many more!

Boyle is a character and when training, playing, etc he is the class clown... seeing this from him is a great sign but it doesn’t mean that all is well underneath or at home.

I know this post wasn’t intended to trivialise his personal hardships but let not judge a book by its cover. All the best to Boyle Snr and Martin and his family are all doing well.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    'nuff said!

How have Hibs managed to get all that snow off a grass pitch and make it playable, yet Livingston cant clear an all weather pitch to do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    How have Hibs managed to get all that snow off a grass pitch and make it playable, yet Livingston cant clear an all weather pitch to do the same?
    Think that is an AstroTurf pitch similar to Livingston however your point is absolutely valid. The snow in Livingston was bad however to say they couldn't clear the pitch as they had nowhere to put it is a nonsense. They clearly never tried to and wanted a break after losing at the weekend imo. They should have been getting questioned by the authorities about the reason especially when they would have had empty stands where the snow could have been piled up.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Problem with social media and the general public, we don't know what's going on in footballers lives and some folk are quick to jump in with 2 feet and dish out unnecessary abuse at times.

Hope Mr Boyle senior makes a full and speedy recovery 💚

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think that is an AstroTurf pitch similar to Livingston however your point is absolutely valid. The snow in Livingston was bad however to say they couldn't clear the pitch as they had nowhere to put it is a nonsense. They clearly never tried to and wanted a break after losing at the weekend imo. They should have been getting questioned by the authorities about the reason especially when they would have had empty stands where the snow could have been piled up.
    Ah right, i never knew we had outside astroturf pitches. I agree with all you said, but i would just ban the bloody things anyway, it gives teams an unfair advantage, and the main reason for Livinston football club should be their 1st team, and clearly an all weather pitch is not that if you cant play football on it when you want.

Its not as simple as filling up the empty stands with snow. I don’t think that would be recommended. There is access to the stadium in one of the corners though and they could have cleared the snow via that entry/exit if the desire had been there. I’m surprised the league haven’t quizzed them on it. Who knows, maybe they have but we’ve just not heard.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Its not as simple as filling up the empty stands with snow. I don’t think that would be recommended. There is access to the stadium in one of the corners though and they could have cleared the snow via that entry/exit if the desire had been there. I’m surprised the league haven’t quizzed them on it. Who knows, maybe they have but we’ve just not heard.
    What would be the issues with putting snow in the seating areas of the stand given the snow will melt anyway ?

What would be the issues with putting snow in the seating areas of the stand given the snow will melt anyway ?
    I think it would be physically difficult to do.

There would also be the question of where the water would go once the snow melted (trackside?).

They could definitely have tractored it out the gate in the corner.

I think it would be physically difficult to do.

There would also be the question of where the water would go once the snow melted (trackside?).

They could definitely have tractored it out the gate in the corner.
    Exactly. How would you get the snow there in the first place and where would it end up when melted.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Exactly. How would you get the snow there in the first place and where would it end up when melted.
    Put it over the wall into concrete areas short of the seats there will be drains where the snow melt will go. Snow shovel it over the small wall. Just don't buy they couldn't have found a way to do it especially when they rescheduled a game earlier in the season at a days notice.