Longbangers 84: What Happened Next?

Longbangers 84:What Happened Next?
    🐑@aberdeenfc view
    ⚽️@hibernianfc win
    🤬what makes @rangersfc Allan McGregor angry?
    🥅@martinboyle9 as a striker (and get well soon Martin's dad)
    ✅Noel Edmonds, Brian Harvey and much more

Apple:
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...6-4188d6f19749

Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/5gt...Q1uypm2c4CdiFg

Anchor:
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episod...ed-Next-eq4qjj

YouTube will be up later.

Really enjoyed that show lads.

Great discussion, especially on the Cadden / Boyle thing.

Love the Angry McGregor stuff and the reaction to John's spreadsheet was brilliant 😂

Matty - I appreciate the effort on the beer front, but 6% stuff on a Monday night I cannot support. Especially for a lightweight 🙂 Save the beer for Saturday quick bangs.

It did improve your input to the programme though...

Well done. A very enjoyable 75mins.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post

Love the Angry McGregor stuff and the reaction to John's spreadsheet was brilliant 😂

Matty - I appreciate the effort on the beer front, but 6% stuff on a Monday night I cannot support. Especially for a lightweight 🙂 Save the beer for Saturday quick bangs.

It was just a wee 330ml can so no damage done - the Earl Gray IPA was nicer than the tropical fruit one that followed it.

John's spreadsheet - WTF?? "Things John has a spreadsheet for" might replace the Angry McGregor item next week...

Cheers for listening and for the feedback - hugely appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post

The spreadsheet was chosen because it was an easy medium to input Wins, Losses and Draws into columns. I don't think I'm that nerdy and yet...

I wanted to see over a period of about 20 years (1999/2000 - 2020/2021) whether there was any truth to the idea that Hibs were stinking over Christmas and New Year. After chatting about it with a mate who also listens to Longbangers, I extended it from the beginning of January to the beginning of December.

The number of games throughout that period has changed due to winter breaks but a reasonable comparison could be drawn with Neil Lennon's team (Neil Lennon has often been held up as a "winner" and what we should be aspiring towards).

Neil Lennon -

Dec 2W, 2L, 3D
    Jan 2W, 1L, 0D

Jack Ross

Dec 3W, 2L, 1D
    Jan 1W, 1L, 1D

Neil Lennon edges it by virtue of one extra point via one additional game.

All this being said, the squad has changed and the opposition's squads have changed so about all I can really point to from that data is - we're having a decent season and the winter period results reflect that just about the same as any other decent season. Interestingly, we had one fewer victory and one more loss in season 2013/2014 so I'd imagine the record books will say we were absolutely stinking thereafter and were relegated.

I can't remember what our league position looked like at the end of January 2018 - we had a decent shift in momentum when Stokes and Murray were emptied in favour of Kamberi and Maclaren and something clicked among the team that left us a corner kick and a header away from possibly snatching

There's a possibility of something similar happening now. Had we not beaten Aberdeen we'd have been on 46 points and they'd be up to 47 with that advantageous game in hand.

Because Hibs won, we've got 49 points, Aberdeen are on 44 and their game in hand is Celtic - who they have to play twice in their final six games. Suddenly we're looking ahead at a stretched ambition of 2nd place while Aberdeen have Livingston snapping at their heels.

If we can learn the lessons of our recent games against Ross County, St. Johnstone and Livingston (three of our last five games before the split) and reverse those results, we've got an incredible opportunity after the split to improve upon Hibs and Neil Lennon's record points total.

Quote Originally Posted by LongJohnBanger View Post
    The spreadsheet was chosen because it was an easy medium to input Wins, Losses and Draws into columns. I don't think I'm that nerdy and yet...

I wanted to see over a period of about 20 years (1999/2000 - 2020/2021) whether there was any truth to the idea that Hibs were stinking over Christmas and New Year. After chatting about it with a mate who also listens to Longbangers, I extended it from the beginning of January to the beginning of December.

The number of games throughout that period has changed due to winter breaks but a reasonable comparison could be drawn with Neil Lennon's team (Neil Lennon has often been held up as a "winner" and what we should be aspiring towards).

Neil Lennon -

Dec 2W, 2L, 3D
    Jan 2W, 1L, 0D

Jack Ross

Dec 3W, 2L, 1D
    Jan 1W, 1L, 1D

Neil Lennon edges it by virtue of one extra point via one additional game.

All this being said, the squad has changed and the opposition's squads have changed so about all I can really point to from that data is - we're having a decent season and the winter period results reflect that just about the same as any other decent season. Interestingly, we had one fewer victory and one more loss in season 2013/2014 so I'd imagine the record books will say we were absolutely stinking thereafter and were relegated.

I can't remember what our league position looked like at the end of January 2018 - we had a decent shift in momentum when Stokes and Murray were emptied in favour of Kamberi and Maclaren and something clicked among the team that left us a corner kick and a header away from possibly snatching

There's a possibility of something similar happening now. Had we not beaten Aberdeen we'd have been on 46 points and they'd be up to 47 with that advantageous game in hand.

Because Hibs won, we've got 49 points, Aberdeen are on 44 and their game in hand is Celtic - who they have to play twice in their final six games. Suddenly we're looking ahead at a stretched ambition of 2nd place while Aberdeen have Livingston snapping at their heels.

If we can learn the lessons of our recent games against Ross County, St. Johnstone and Livingston (three of our last five games before the split) and reverse those results, we've got an incredible opportunity after the split to improve upon Hibs and Neil Lennon's record points total.
    You made a spreadsheet for this, John.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    You made a spreadsheet for this, John.
    I did, aye...

AND I'D DO IT AGAIN 😏

Had this on Spotify as I went to bed, I'm blaming the weird dreams I had on you guys.

This is one of the funniest episodes yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Had this on Spotify as I went to bed, I'm blaming the weird dreams I had on you guys.

This is one of the funniest episodes yet!
    Just be grateful you only listened to it, the dreams you’d have had if you’d watched the YouTube video world have been off the scale.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    You were speaking about people having nose bleeds due to excitement - it happened to me!

It was 1980/81ish and I'd been in town with my mates one Saturday morning. We were getting the 44 bus home, probably to have lunch before heading back out to Easter Road for the match.

The entire Hibs 1st team got on the bus in Princes Street, sat upstairs where we were, and eventually got off on Slateford Road not far from the Caledonian Brewery. To this day I've no idea why or where they were going about 3hrs before a match.

They were all there - Gordon Rae, Benny, Jim McArthur, Jackie Mac, Ralph Callachan, Arthur Duncan, etc. - all my heros.

I couldn't believe my eyes and apart from an "alright" or 2 never struck up the courage to speak to them. 2 minutes after they got of the bus my nose started pishing with blood for no apparent reason and carried on for a good 10-15 minutes.

So there!

Great show chaps! Really cheered me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    You were speaking about people having nose bleeds due to excitement - it happened to me!

It was 1980/81ish and I'd been in town with my mates one Saturday morning. We were getting the 44 bus home, probably to have lunch before heading back out to Easter Road for the match.

The entire Hibs 1st team got on the bus in Princes Street, sat upstairs where we were, and eventually got off on Slateford Road not far from the Caledonian Brewery. To this day I've no idea why or where they were going about 3hrs before a match.

They were all there - Gordon Rae, Benny, Jim McArthur, Jackie Mac, Ralph Callachan, Arthur Duncan, etc. - all my heros.

I couldn't believe my eyes and apart from an "alright" or 2 never struck up the courage to speak to them. 2 minutes after they got of the bus my nose started pishing with blood for no apparent reason and carried on for a good 10-15 minutes.

So there!
    This is an amazing story!

Just been chuckling away there, the wife was in the middle of talking to me (let me rephrase that, my wife saw me pick up my phone to have a look so started talking at me) so I literally only saw the first line of your post.

No idea what the mrs was talking about but now I'm in the bad books for laughing at it...

Great story anyway - you mind if we use it on Longbangers? (if I remember, which I probably won't!)

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Great show chaps! Really cheered me up.
    Cheers! Think we all enjoyed recording this one - definitely helps when there's a Hibs win to discuss!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    This is an amazing story!

Just been chuckling away there, the wife was in the middle of talking to me (let me rephrase that, my wife saw me pick up my phone to have a look so started talking at me) so I literally only saw the first line of your post.

No idea what the mrs was talking about but now I'm in the bad books for laughing at it...

Great story anyway - you mind if we use it on Longbangers? (if I remember, which I probably won't!)
    No problem. I've posted about it on here before. Even though it was 40 years ago I remember it like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    No problem. I've posted about it on here before. Even though it was 40 years ago I remember it like it was yesterday.
    Magic, cheers.

I remember when my mate told me, we would only have been 13 or 14, i think, and I thought it was so funny. The body's self-defence mechanism against over-excitement was to have a slow but steady stream of blood come out the nose.

There must be a scientific reason for it, that I might look up now. John might have a spreadsheet for it.

Magic, cheers.

I remember when my mate told me, we would only have been 13 or 14, i think, and I thought it was so funny. The body's self-defence mechanism against over-excitement was to have a slow but steady stream of blood come out the nose.

There must be a scientific reason for it, that I might look up now. John might have a spreadsheet for it.
    I don't have a nosebleed spreadsheet however I did suffer from nosebleeds as a kid. Partly because A) Bairns pick their beaks B) Abusive parents and C) Coming on for no apparent reason.

I was in the pool at the Dalmahoy on some kind of summer holiday / children of staff arrangement when I had to get hauled out before I, completely obliviously, turned it into something out The Shining.

Quote Originally Posted by LongJohnBanger View Post
    I don't have a nosebleed spreadsheet however I did suffer from nosebleeds as a kid. Partly because A) Bairns pick their beaks B) Abusive parents and C) Coming on for no apparent reason.

I was in the pool at the Dalmahoy on some kind of summer holiday / children of staff arrangement when I had to get hauled out before I, completely obliviously, turned it into something out The Shining.
    My daughter threw up in the pool at swimming lessons and the whole lesson (and the following ones) had to get cancelled.

Colin Cameron from off of the 6-2 game had his bairn in the same lesson.

Mon the Hibs. Ruining derbies and swimming for him.

Cheers! Think we all enjoyed recording this one - definitely helps when there's a Hibs win to discuss!
    100% mate.

My daughter threw up in the pool at swimming lessons and the whole lesson (and the following ones) had to get cancelled.

Colin Cameron from off of the 6-2 game had his bairn in the same lesson.

Mon the Hibs. Ruining derbies and swimming for him.
    🤣🤣

Not too much Hibs content in this week’s Shortbangers so not starting a new thread for it

Available on all the usual podcast outlets and on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/1vBVn11qcnA