hibs.net Messageboard

English Referee Receives Death Threat

Mike Dean, the Referee in Saturday's West Ham v Fulham game and the recent 9-0 mauling of Southampton, has apparently received death threats through social media and asked the FA for a break this weekend.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...or-weekend-off

I realise the guy has made a couple of bad mistakes recently but this is ridiculous.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    It’s terrible really is, guys trying to do his job and should never have to deal with that after making an error, however, don’t you think if there was less of a reaction on social media to these types of things then it would soon fade out? It’s almost a badge of honour type thing for the saddos doing this, showing off to their mates how many ‘bites’ there ‘bants’ has got from behind anonymous accounts.

I’m by no means suggesting things like this and the racism other people have been subjected too recently goes unpunished, it most definitely should be and social media platforms should be pushed to take measures to tackle this also, but I think the same approach that was used in the 80s to hooliganism when the papers banned reporting on the violence as it was glorifying what was going on and encouraging hooligans to out do each other for headlines could be used in these instances as well

Shocking.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It must take a bizarre blend of idiocy and self confidence to type out soemthing like that, think 'this is definitely a good idea' then send it.

What a moron.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Shocking. No need for pish like that it's only a game

Not the first time this has happened in England.

He oughtn't to have asked for the week off. He's shown weakness to his employers and tormentors.

I see he’s not going to referee a game this weekend, all very sad 😔

Quote Originally Posted by GreyJammies View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He oughtn't to have asked for the week off. He's shown weakness to his employers and tormentors.
    What a ridiculous comment to make, the guy has had his life threatened by an obvious total lunatic, he has a family who will be frantic with worry and you reckon he is the guy who has done the wrong thing. Referees are under enough pressure on any Saturday but wondering if some nut job is going to try to take your life over something as insignificant as a ****** football match ? Not only Dean but every single referee in the country should down tools this weekend in solidarity with the guy, utterly vile !

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It must take a bizarre blend of idiocy and self confidence to type out soemthing like that, think 'this is definitely a good idea' then send it.

What a moron.
    That's the thing. It's clearly just some 30 year old virgin sitting in his parents spare room, with a load of empty beer cans looking to provoke something. Yes, take it seriously, and investigate, and punish. But the chances of this death threat actually happening is very very low. It just doesn't happen. The referee should jolly well crack on, cos you're letting Emo McGhee get a little victory there.

There's no fans in the grounds at the moment anyway. I think. I don't watch English football.

@delbert.
    Last edited by GreyJammies; 08-02-2021 at 09:04 PM.