hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Jordan Holsgrove

Seems like one that got away...

The under 21 Scotland international was born in Edinburgh while his dad Paul played for us (98-99 season?) but he came through Reading's academy. Now seemingly establishing himself at Celta Vigo. Ah well!

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-yeah-im-going

2. Log in to remove the advert

Didn't realise he was Paul Holsgrove's son, blast from the past that!

He seems to have done well for Scotland U21s. He was on loan at a lower league Spanish side before then going to Celta Vigo. They play Atletico Madrid in Madrid tonight. Looks like he hasn't started a game yet but has come off the bench a few times.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't realise he was Paul Holsgrove's son, blast from the past that!

He seems to have done well for Scotland U21s. He was on loan at a lower league Spanish side before then going to Celta Vigo. They play Atletico Madrid in Madrid tonight. Looks like he hasn't started a game yet but has come off the bench a few times.
    One for the "You know you're old" thread.

I remember his Granda playing for Wolves 😆

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Seems like one that got away...

The under 21 Scotland international was born in Edinburgh while his dad Paul played for us (98-99 season?) but he came through Reading's academy. Now seemingly establishing himself at Celta Vigo. Ah well!

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-yeah-im-going
    His dad played for 17 clubs including Hibs so not sure his son was ever likely to rock up at Easter Rd
    Perhaps he could be the next Hornby and end up here on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    His dad played for 17 clubs including Hibs so not sure his son was ever likely to rock up at Easter Rd
    Perhaps he could be the next Hornby and end up here on loan.
    Think he had his most productive spell at Reading and I know a few of their fans who rated him highly. Holsgrove senior that is.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Think he had his most productive spell at Reading and I know a few of their fans who rated him highly. Holsgrove senior that is.
    Definitely, 17 clubs with only a little over 200 career appearances including 70 for Reading over 4 seasons with 17 appearances for Hibs in his one season here.

@hibs.net private member
    Always get Holsgrove and Justin Skinner mixed up, did they play for us at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Always get Holsgrove and Justin Skinner mixed up, did they play for us at the same time?
    Yes they did. And both did a very decent turn for us.

@hibs.net private member JoeT_WasTheBest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Yes they did. And both did a very decent turn for us.
    Did Holsgrove not come with a reputation like ‘the fittest player and the hardest shot outside the top English league’ or something like that??

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    I always thought Skins was a decent player, think he went on to play for Dunfermline?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Cant remember if it was Holsgrove or Skinner but was one of them not really ***** at first?

Seemed to remember thinking we’d signed an absolute dud only for them to turn out really good in the end?

Might have been both of them actually.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT_WasTheBest View Post
    Did Holsgrove not come with a reputation like ‘the fittest player and the hardest shot outside the top English league’ or something like that??
    I’m sure the Evening News stated that he was considered one of the best passers of a ball in the Football League.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Cant remember if it was Holsgrove or Skinner but was one of them not really ***** at first?

Seemed to remember thinking we’d signed an absolute dud only for them to turn out really good in the end?

Might have been both of them actually.
    Skinner was excellent from the start. McLeish recognised that we had no midfield to speak of when he arrived, and immediately signed Skinner and a Brebner, both of whom were very good.

Holsgrove was signed in the close season after we’d been relegated. He gave away a crazy handball penalty to gift Stranraer their first goal when they beat us 2-1 at ER in the second game of the season, and didn’t really recover from that.

You could tell he was a sound player technically, just looked the sort that needed a lot of time on the ball - and was therefore doomed in the Scottish First Division. Only made 9 league starts and most of them would’ve been when we struggling early doors.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I’m sure the Evening News stated that he was considered one of the best passers of a ball in the Football League.
    It was one of the best volleyers of a ball in Britain.

Justin Skinner was a player in the mould of Scott Parker if I remember correctly.

I don’t remember him being an ever present though. Think he was in and out of the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Justin Skinner was a player in the mould of Scott Parker if I remember correctly.

I don’t remember him being an ever present though. Think he was in and out of the side.
    A quick check shows that he was pretty much ever present the season we were in the first division - I was clearly drunk at games back then!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    A quick check shows that he was pretty much ever present the season we were in the first division - I was clearly drunk at games back then!
    Skinner played a handful of games in the top flight before we went down I remember. He played more games in the Championship winning season than I recall too. Holsgrove's only goal for Hibs was a diving header at ER in a comfortable Championship win I'm pretty sure. No idea who the opposition were though.

Edit: just looked it up. 3-0 v Airdrie.
    Last edited by Baader; 09-02-2021 at 10:13 AM.

I loved Skinner.

He had an immediate impact when he joined pre-relegation, sadly we were too far gone to stay up.

In the First Division he was a bit of an unsung hero and played a big part in hauling us back up, scoring an absolute peach iirc at Airdrie in a big win there - may have been knocked back to him from a corner and he hammered it in from outside the box.

He seems to just drift out the picture once we got promoted and I've never really understood why as he never let us down. The same seemed to happen with Paul Lovering who was a cracking player in the First Division. I guess McLeish knew deep down that these were probably players good enough to get us out the First Division but not good enough to get us up the Premier, and you can't really argue that they were better than the likes of O'Neil or Laursen who he eventually signed to play in their positions.

Re Holsgrove - I remember hearing an interview with him where he compared himself to Glenn Hoddle and I thought he sounded like a bit of a knob. Looked elegant enough on the ball at times but he was in our team when we were stinking out the First division over the first few games so it's hard to argue that he didn't need moved on.
    Last edited by Smartie; 09-02-2021 at 10:22 AM.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I loved Skinner.

He had an immediate impact when he joined pre-relegation, sadly we were too far gone to stay up.

In the First Division he was a bit of an unsung hero and played a big part in hauling us back up, scoring an absolute peach iirc at Airdrie in a big win there - may have been knocked back to him from a corner and he hammered it in from outside the box.

He seems to just drift out the picture once we got promoted and I've never really understood why as he never let us down. The same seemed to happen with Paul Lovering who was a cracking player in the First Division. I guess McLeish knew deep down that these were probably players good enough to get us out the First Division but not good enough to get us up the Premier, and you can't really argue that they were better than the likes of O'Neil or Laursen who he eventually signed to play in their positions.

Re Holsgrove - I remember hearing an interview with him where he compared himself to Glenn Hoddle and I thought he sounded like a bit of a knob. Looked elegant enough on the ball at times but he was in our team when we were stinking out the First division over the first few games so it's hard to argue that he didn't need moved on.
    Lovering I really liked. He was brilliant in the First Division. After we went up I remember he had a shocker at ER one game. He cost us a goal and very nearly another and just seemed to go to pieces. Rarely featured after that, McLeish obviously thought the step up for him was too much and it would seem he was right.