hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Darren McGregor

First Team Breakthrough

Darren McGregor

What a colossus of a man , plays with his heart and soul for the jersey , good management from Ross , Porto needs to learn from him what it means to play for the club , was outstanding against Aberdeen you could tell that they knew they were in for a battle upfront against him which I think Hanlon also looked more comfortable along side him

2. Log in to remove the advert

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by dastardly8 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a colossus of a man , plays with his heart and soul for the jersey , good management from Ross , Porto needs to learn from him what it means to play for the club , was outstanding against Aberdeen you could tell that they knew they were in for a battle upfront against him which I think Hanlon also looked more comfortable along side him
    Totally agree. McGregor makes a big difference and Hanlon is a better player when he is paired with him. McGregor’s experience and attitude rubs off on those around him.

Left by mutual consent!
    He played brilliant when he came in before too and got dropped again. One of Jacks biggest regrets must surely be not playing him in either Semi's.

@hibs.net private member
    He's a class defender...

Did he ever get a testimonial ? His current form has taken me by surprise only because if he has been showing up in training like that why wasn’t he used earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He never gives the ball away

Leads by example.

So good he has two threads talking about the same things on the go. Legend and great to see him rolling back the years.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    This is the guy who was supposedly finished, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This is the guy who was supposedly finished, yeah?
    Ffs, here we go again!

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Ffs, here we go again!
    It’s a fair point though, lost count of the number of comments complaining about the length of the contracts given to him and DG.

@hibs.net private member
    Hope Porto is watching closely

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    It’s a fair point though, lost count of the number of comments complaining about the length of the contracts given to him and DG.
    Yet another positive thread potentially spoiled by someone having a sly dig, you'd think we'd all be chuffed after yesterday's game.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Yet another positive thread potentially spoiled by someone having a sly dig, you'd think we'd all be chuffed after yesterday's game.
    Pretty sure we are.

I’m not interested in trying to prove anyone wrong either but I thought a lot of the comments about DM and SDG earlier in the season were totally out of order. Posters criticising the length of their contracts without knowing anything about the details was really poor IMO, especially about two players who never give less than 100% for us.

Pretty sure we are.

I’m not interested in trying to prove anyone wrong either but I thought a lot of the comments about DM and SDG earlier in the season were totally out of order. Posters criticising the length of their contracts without knowing anything about the details was really poor IMO, especially about two players who never give less than 100% for us.
    I think having guys like DM and SDG around is important, even if they aren't getting a game. You need guys like them, Hanlon and Lewis too, to make sure there is harmony in the dressing and that all round morale is good and to help new players settle in quickly. Numerous players in the last few years have mentioned how good a groups of lads the squad is and how quickly they've been welcomed in. These guys will be playing a massive part in that. Also, SDG played a massive part last year when it came to postponing part of the players salaries whilst keeping the squad/management/club united. Compare it to the reports that were coming out of Hearts about players revolting and at loggerheads with their club.

When George Craig announced SDG and Daz's contracts he made it clear that at some point they'd move from being players over to being coaches/ambassadors. Some people managed to overlook the fact that it wasn't just 4 years contracts as players, just so they could have a grumble about it. I have no doubt that when they do hang up their boots, they'll more than earn their salaries in whatever role they're performing. I'd be happy if Lewis and Hanlon got something similar however I can see how it'd be hard to justify having 4 coaches/ambassadors.
    Last edited by 007; 07-02-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Thank goodness everything aligned and he got back in the team. Alongside the fact that Irvine has been brilliant it's really turned the fortunes around.

@hibs.net private member
    McGregor and Hanlon always strike me as a pairing that trust one another. Trust each other to be there covering should one have to over commit positionally etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I think having guys like DM and SDG around is important, even if they aren't getting a game. You need guys like them, Hanlon and Lewis too, to make sure there is harmony in the dressing and that all round morale is good and to help new players settle in quickly. Numerous players in the last few years have mentioned how good a groups of lads the squad is and how quickly they've been welcomed in. These guys will be playing a massive part in that. Also, SDG played a massive part last year when it came to postponing part of the players salaries whilst keeping the squad/management/club united. Compare it to the reports that were coming out of Hearts about players revolting and at loggerheads with their club.

When George Craig announced SDG and Daz's contracts he made it clear that at some point they'd move from being players over to being coaches/ambassadors. Some people managed to overlook the fact that it wasn't just 4 years contracts as players, just so they could have a grumble about it. I have no doubt that when they do hang up their boots, they'll more than earn their salaries in whatever role they're performing. I'd be happy if Lewis and Hanlon got something similar however I can see how it'd be hard to justify having 4 coaches/ambassadors.
    Great post. Agree with every word.

Lot of revisionism going on here. Our defence was fine for the majority of this season and Porteous and Hanlon were excellent. They had a dip (like McGregor has had himself), thats all. They will still be first choice long term.

Great post. Agree with every word.
    Thanks jeffers. I'd also add in that Boyle deserves a mention too. Having characters that like a laugh and keep the banter going are hugely important as well. He obviously loves the club too and is brilliant with the fans, as are SDG, Daz, Hanlon and Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Great post bud and bang on with what SDGs / Daz contracts were all about.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Big Daz, he’s one of our own.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Hope Porto is watching closely
    I’m sure he is. It should be remembered that at Porto’s age, McGregor was working in a clothes shop. Porto needs time to develop, could be potentially one of the best defenders we have produced.

Nothing to do with playing for the club , all to do with how to read & play the game

Every team need a DM. Such an inspirational guy to have on the pitch and you can see that his experience really helps settle that back 5. Plays the game like a true fan

My favourite ever Hibs defender.

Dazs interview after the win at tannadice showed how much he love playing for us and appreciates every second. Plus he’s still a damm fine player. I can see him playing for another 18 months. Indeed he is a fan living the dream.