hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Character

Character

What has changed over the last few games? Has the semi been a kick up the arse? Has the penny finally dropped? We're a good side there's no disputing that but felt we were sometimes guilty of not being able to be nasty enough and win ugly. The last four games, including an undeserved loss to Rangers, has seen a different side to us. Has there been a wake up call?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    New midfielders + Daz.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What has changed over the last few games? Has the semi been a kick up the arse? Has the penny finally dropped? We're a good side there's no disputing that but felt we were sometimes guilty of not being able to be nasty enough and win ugly. The last four games, including an undeserved loss to Rangers, has seen a different side to us. Has there been a wake up call?
    We went through a rough 3/4 weeks, prior to that and since that we have been very good. It’s understandable in a season like this that we will have a spell of poor form, with so many games and mentally very tough for the players.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    A settled shape and McGregor coming back into the fold has definitely helped matters. The new additions bring a lot of running into the team as well which hopefully creates more energy in others. Think it has been a lot of little things coming together that has put together this mini run and long may it continue. The carrot of third place is firmly in our sights and this should be enough for JR to be demanding big performances of the players in every game left now.

As pointed out in other threads though we haven’t seen (outside of Rangers) how we react to going a goal behind but certainly not in any rush to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    A settled shape and McGregor coming back into the fold has definitely helped matters. The new additions bring a lot of running into the team as well which hopefully creates more energy in others. Think it has been a lot of little things coming together that has put together this mini run and long may it continue. The carrot of third place is firmly in our sights and this should be enough for JR to be demanding big performances of the players in every game left now.

As pointed out in other threads though we haven’t seen (outside of Rangers) how we react to going a goal behind but certainly not in any rush to find out!
    Yeah totally agree with that. The shape and balance to the team is very good right now.

Didn’t really see too much difference in the last two games compared to previous against the same opposition.

Today was night and day in comparison to previous Aberdeen games. Midfield the difference for me.

First goal remains crucial for us. Every league game we’ve won we’ve scored the first goal and we’ve not won any when we haven’t.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Didn’t really see too much difference in the last two games compared to previous against the same opposition.

Today was night and day in comparison to previous Aberdeen games. Midfield the difference for me.

First goal remains crucial for us. Every league game we’ve won we’ve scored the first goal and we’ve not won any when we haven’t.
    I’d imagine majority of teams in the league have similar records when scoring/conceding first in the league. It’s very difficult to break teams down in our league when they get in front and make it very stuffy. Would be interesting to see the stats and could be wrong, just always feel the team that scores first wins most of their games.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Before the transfer window our squad was depleted and running on empty. We never had many options at all from the bench. Signing Cadden and Irvine has been exactly what we needed and they’ve brought energy and versatility to the team as a whole. Moving Boyle up front and Cadden right is a master stroke.

There is a better balance in the team now and he’s found a system the last few games that suits our better, more creative players.

Coaching Staff
    Good management of the transfer saga of Nisbet and Porteous as well I'm sure they will both get there heads down but more importantly I hope both seek better guidance and counsel - Nisbet especially seems to have had his head turned and I put that down to very poor agent dealings.

Darren coming in has absolutely got the defence doing the basics right and provided much needed leadership in there. Cadden has introduced more energy, and Irvine is an all-rounder. Rather then character, I think the side looks more balanced. With the introduction of Cadden and Irvine, Murphy and Boyle look more relaxed and focused on what they do well and that's attacking.

Got to give Jack Ross a lot of credit for the recent turnaround in my opinion - no panic, but has shown Kevin and Ryan that they need to work harder for the team and not take things for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    I’d imagine majority of teams in the league have similar records when scoring/conceding first in the league. It’s very difficult to break teams down in our league when they get in front and make it very stuffy. Would be interesting to see the stats and could be wrong, just always feel the team that scores first wins most of their games.
    Would be interested to see if that is the case. It doesn’t feel as if it’s been as apparent, with us, as it is this year.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Agree with that too. First goal against Aberdeen especially is massive

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    Before the transfer window our squad was depleted and running on empty. We never had many options at all from the bench. Signing Cadden and Irvine has been exactly what we needed and they’ve brought energy and versatility to the team as a whole. Moving Boyle up front and Cadden right is a master stroke.

There is a better balance in the team now and he’s found a system the last few games that suits our better, more creative players.
    Yup. Cadden and Irvine have been very good signings.

Irvine and Cadden have made a difference and McGregor has been an upgrade on Porteous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    [QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6458702]Irvine and Cadden have made a difference and McGregor has been an upgrade on Porteous.

That’s about it...with Irvine being the main difference.

He covers every blade off grass on the pitch, does the unspectacular things well, wins headers and releases impeccable through

Pretty basic really. We had a bad patch. Now we're having a good patch.

@hibs.net private member
    Look at the way we were over run in midfield in our blip, in particular the RC and Livi games, this wouldn't have happened if we had Cadden and Irvane in the team then IMO, also as has already been mentioned the no nonsense defending of McGregor makes a difference at the back, the upturn in form is due to these three in the team, and how good is it to think that we still have Newell and Allan to come back from injury, this could be a very good end to the season

First Team Breakthrough jingler1954's Avatar
    When our midfield was being touted as the best in the league with Dylan SJM and Scottie there. Dylan would track back and collect the ball from the defence and start the move forward on the deck. For me Jackson is of a similar ilk he falls deep and does the same. The difference is Jackson will score more goals than Dylan did. Really excited to see us play more football on the deck instead of big punts up the park with a 50% chance of winning the ball. GGTTH

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    We struggled for a large part because the central midfield was ravaged with injuries and uncertainty. We also made constant defensive errors that led to goals.

Irvine plugged the massive midfield hole we had and now we have actual depth as injured players come back, and McGregor has been simple and effective at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Absolutely no doubt one of the big things which has changed is having a player on the park who sets the example, a genuine leader who plays for the badge and the most influential player we have in that respect, big Daz. It’s also interesting to note that Hanlon has looked more assured as well knowing Daz is there, again the sign of who the boss is and perhaps the only reason not to take the armband off Hanlon is an obvious confidence issue, and does it actually matter ? As long as we are defending better and everyone is well aware of who is actually the captain on the park, I don’t care who wears a wee orange band, but what it does actually demonstrate is just how important a player with that standing amongst the players is on the park, players play, leaders lead !

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    New midfielders + Daz.
    Close the thread.

Irvine and Gogic in the middle for me have been brilliant, good balance with both full of energy with Irvine giving you that quality also.

Fair play to Ross for getting some sort of reaction, again sometimes the football isn't pretty past few games but results matter most.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It's just a case of giving the manager time to actually build something over a period of time, not slagging him off or wanting him sacked after such a short period of time in the seat.

We really need to start giving him time, yes we will lose some games, but it is not the end of the world when we do.

We are improving week on week, month on month, give him time and i'm very confident it will be year on year too.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    New midfielders + Daz.
    Yup. McGregor and Irvine especially have given us something that has been sorely missing this season. Cadden has improved us as well.

I don’t think we would have been capable of dominating Aberdeen like we did yesterday earlier in the season when Daz wasn’t playing and Irvine wasn’t here.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quite happy to give a lot of the credit to Daz for re-setting the standards. Heard in Jack Ross's post match comments that he thought many of the players had a dip in form at the same time, and how big an impact scoring first can have. That's not too far away from many comments on here.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    All of the above plus Gogic raising his game.

@hibs.net private member
    I think some of our core players were running on empty around the turn of the year as we'd started the season with quite a thin squad, and with a few out injured, some had played almost every minute of every game. The signings of Cadden and Irvine look to be inspired though - adding quality options and improving the balance of the side at a stroke. The League Cup Semi came just too early for them I think but we've made strides forward as a team since then and are looking in great shape now with the new signings bedding in and the long term injured coming back to full fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I think some of our core players were running on empty around the turn of the year as we'd started the season with quite a thin squad, and with a few out injured, some had played almost every minute of every game. The signings of Cadden and Irvine look to be inspired though - adding quality options and improving the balance of the side at a stroke. The League Cup Semi came just too early for them I think but we've made strides forward as a team since then and are looking in great shape now with the new signings bedding in and the long term injured coming back to full fitness.
    This is right, we signed players to go into the first 11 in positions they are comfortable in and better than the players they replaced.

Our midfield are now stronger, which has allowed Boyle to play further forward and he's scoring goals again.

Football is quite a simple game, the more better players you have, the better your results will normally be.

Jack Ross has in the main brought in players better than we had each window, which in return has seen us improve again and again.

Look at our bench yesterday, when did we last have that type of quality available to us that could come off the bench?

I think we simply went through a bad run of form. It happens to teams and it would be naive to suggest we should win every game. Of course it hurts at the time but as long as we get through it and start picking up results that's the main thing

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    I think we simply went through a bad run of form. It happens to teams and it would be naive to suggest we should win every game. Of course it hurts at the time but as long as we get through it and start picking up results that's the main thing
    We did, but there were reasons like players playing a lot of football, players injured and new players getting up to fitness.

We've clearly strengthened the team and the squad, we only need to look at who we've sent out on loan, then look at our bench yesterday.

This is how its done, this is how we improve, and with a bit of luck, we make Europe, make a good bit of money and improve the team again.

New midfielders + Daz.
    Succinctly accurate