hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Irvine Welsh

For those discussing the huns watching last night's game on illegal streams - the match was live on Sky Sports!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those discussing the huns watching last night's game on illegal streams - the match was live on Sky Sports!
    Irvine Welsh wasn't though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    But Irvine Welsh wasn't - he was on Hibs TV, which wasn't on PPV.

First Team Regular
    Irvine Welsh being Irvine Welsh on hibs in house tv channel is getting people offended?!

Hun is not sectarian, it has never been sectarian. It is a term used to describe the fans of one club, not a religion, a sect or any other ethnic or minority group.

It really is that simple- anything else is just noise.

I hope no huns read any of his books, they might really find something to be offended about 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    And if they apologise?
    I don't see why that would make any difference.

It wouldn't matter if it was a racist remark.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    What does the word 'hun' mean and what is its place in today's society?
    (Irish Post June 7th 2016)

https://www.irishpost.com/news/what-...-society-91001

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S View Post
    The girl? Wow
    Yes offended by non existent sectarianism but not by casual misogyny

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I don't see why that would make any difference.

It wouldn't matter if it was a racist remark.
    I give up!

Nobody can stop Hibs TV inviting Irvine Welsh on to the pre match programme. Tell me who can legally force them not to and I'll accept your answer.

He still didn’t say Hun

I could grudgingly accept that the Morelos comment might have been a bit ott or unnecessary.

No way should Hibs be acknowledging any drivel about the phrase “sticky bun”.

I give up!

Nobody can stop Hibs TV inviting Irvine Welsh on to the pre match programme. Tell me who can legally force them not to and I'll accept your answer.
    I've never once said that anyone could legally force Hibs to not invite Irvine Welsh (or anyone else for that matter) onto Hibs TV, I think you've confused what I've said.

Anyway life's too short for this. I give up too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Like it or not the world is very PC now and Hibs could face criticism for this as its the clubs official TV Channel.

See it the world over TV channels distancing themselves from comments made by people on them and apologising.

@hibs.net private member
    But Irvine Welsh wasn't - he was on Hibs TV, which wasn't on PPV.
    Hibs officials won’t want the club caught up in situations like this morning. Therefore, IW won’t be invited back by the club.

FWIW, I enjoyed listening to IW more than any other guest so far and would have him back on every week.

Left by mutual consent!
    I give up!

SPFL / SFA

Comments could be seen to cause an issue between two member clubs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rhoades View Post
    Hibs officials won’t want the club caught up in situations like this morning. Therefore, IW won’t be invited back by the club.

FWIW, I enjoyed listening to IW more than any other guest so far and would have him back on every week.
    Spot on.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I could grudgingly accept that the Morelos comment might have been a bit ott or unnecessary.

No way should Hibs be acknowledging any drivel about the phrase “sticky bun”.
    I think if there was ever time for a Peter Lawell style 'sorry, not sorry' reply from Hibs then this could be it about his Morelos comment. Something like: 'Celebrated author and Hibs fan, Irvine Welsh, was invited on to Hibs TV to give his unique take on proceedings at the recent home game vs Rangers. Hibs understands that some people have raised concerns around comments made by him in relation to the Rangers player, Alfredo Morelos. Irvine is known for his down to earth style in his best-selling novels and those familiar with his prose will have recognised his words were part of the colourful hyperbole which permeates his work. However, Hibernian FC apologise if anyone was offended by any comments during Wednesday's programme.'

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    I think if there was ever time for a Peter Lawell style 'sorry, not sorry' reply from Hibs then this could be it about his Morelos comment. Something like: 'Celebrated author and Hibs fan, Irvine Welsh, was invited on to Hibs TV to give his unique take on proceedings at the recent home game vs Rangers. Hibs understands that some people have raised concerns around comments made by him in relation to the Rangers player, Alfredo Morelos. Irvine is known for his down to earth style in his best-selling novels and those familiar with his prose will have recognised his words were part of the colourful hyperbole which permeates his work. However, Hibernian FC apologise if anyone was offended by any comments during Wednesday's programme.'
    If they were clever they'd add in why he made those comments and highlight the appalling refereeing standards when playing the old firm.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    If they were clever they'd add in why he made those comments and highlight the appalling refereeing standards when playing the old firm.
    I did think of adding 'acknowledged cheat' 'Alfredo Morelos!

Blog Entries
    They were also saying earlier that Welsh’s reference to cutting Morelos up with a machete and spreading his body parts to the four corners of the earth was a threatening matter requiring police attention.
    Not quite as threatening as ‘watch your back going up a dark Glasgow close, ya Fenian barsteward’.

Irvine was good fun last night, need to get him back on.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    That's very nicely worded tbh.

Those non apologies are normally a pet hate of mine too, but I can see the sense in that approach.

"False equivalence" is something that should be tackled as the battle to stamp out all sorts of bigotry takes place and I'd take a very dim view of Hibs apologising for the use of the phrase "sticky bun" by a guest on a tv channel designed to be for home support subscriptions only.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    When the festering hun cesspit went belly up I remember having a conversation with other supporters of a few different clubs in the pub that the tribute act would be even worse.

They are the most obnoxious, bigoted easily tiggered mob of throwbacks and I long for the day they are outside the crumbling Ibrox greeting into their sashes again when Newhun goes pop.

Delighted Irvine Welsh has got to them...job done.

I ****ing hate huns.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Irvine was good fun last night, need to get him back on.
    Is “fun” rhyming slang for anything? You better watch or the police will be knocking on your door soon...

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rhoades View Post

Other than a headline and a few words on their Twitter feed from The Sun, some angry Rangers fans on Follow Follow there doesn’t seem to have been any “situations” as such which would cause Hibs any problems.

Perhaps Irvine Welsh’s remarks have indeed been taken in the spirit intended.

I hope Hibs get him on for the game against Celtc, so he can mention 'Soap Dodging Plastics', 'That Cheating Scrote, Scott Broon' and 'The Biscuit Tin Mentality that Blew 10IAR'

Far from complaining about Irvine Welsh you would have thought our Sevco supporting friends would recognise they owe him a debt of gratitude. After Trainspotting 2 how many of them realised that having 1690 as your cashcard or credit card pin code was insecure and changed their number ... how ungrateful can you get FFS

Is Jam Tarts sectarian or is it only certain baked goods?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Far from complaining about Irvine Welsh you would have thought our Sevco supporting friends would recognise they owe him a debt of gratitude. After Trainspotting 2 how many of them realised that having 1690 as your cashcard or credit card pin code was insecure and changed their number ... how ungrateful can you get FFS
    Good point, how many giros have remained safely in bank accounts due to the stellar work done by Irvine Welsh? They should be thanking him.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    He still didn’t say Hun
    True, but if John Terry had called Anton Ferdinand a 'silvery moon' instead of what he actually said, he still wouldnt have avoided trouble. Rhyming slang isnt some sort of clever legal loophole

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    True, but if John Terry had called Anton Ferdinand a 'silvery moon' instead of what he actually said, he still wouldnt have avoided trouble. Rhyming slang isnt some sort of clever legal loophole
    A James Blunt like you would say that.