hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think what needs to be taking into consideration with how far Jack Ross can take us, is the impact that Ron Gordon will have on things. Just as Stubbs was able to deliver the Scottish Cup and European football, and Lennon our highest placing in modern history under Dempster/STF's charge, those achievements were attained in a period where the financial goal of the club was to break even.

We now have an owner who has higher ideas for the club, he wants us to be profitable and has set out his plans to achieve this (increase revenue through sponsorship, better player trading through shrewd signings (as evidenced with Nisbet and Magennis, for example) and a plan to double the playing budget within a few years.

The background support that Jack Ross is getting/going to get gives him an opportunity to push past a regular 4th with the odd 3rd and occasional 5th monotony.

Considering the cuts to the squad that Ross has had to make this season, to have us where we are is a good achievement, there shouldn't be any doubt about that.

As Andy mentioned above, we are well placed to push ahead of Aberdeen. We're already well ahead of Hearts at this moment in time.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think your last paragraph is why I don't think Ross will be eulogised. Alan Stubbs achieved the remarkable and is still treated with disdain by a noisy minority. There is no precedent for a manger to be universally lauded by the Hibs support.

I think that is largely down to the fact that the expectations of Hibs fans doesn't always tally with how humdrum supporting us can be. 4th place finishes are actually somewhere north of average for us (I think we are 6th in the all time Premier table). I'm as guilty of that as anyone, I want better than 4th but I grudgingly accept it's a good outcome for us. Perhaps that's why my earlier post suggested banality. I know 4th is good, I want it to be better and I'm frustrated it's probably not consistently going to be.
    Just been having a look and Hibs finished 4th the season that I was born in, and I had finished sixth year at school in 1995 when we finished 3rd - we hadn't matched 4th in in any of the intervening years. Since then we've been 3rd twice and 4th three times. So seven times we've been in the top 4 in my lifetime. Spent five years in the First Division in the same time period.

Pretty much wishing I hadn't looked now.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I think what needs to be taking into consideration with how far Jack Ross can take us, is the impact that Ron Gordon will have on things. Just as Stubbs was able to deliver the Scottish Cup and European football, and Lennon our highest placing in modern history under Dempster/STF's charge, those achievements were attained in a period where the financial goal of the club was to break even.

We now have an owner who has higher ideas for the club, he wants us to be profitable and has set out his plans to achieve this (increase revenue through sponsorship, better player trading through shrewd signings (as evidenced with Nisbet and Magennis, for example) and a plan to double the playing budget within a few years.

The background support that Jack Ross is getting/going to get gives him an opportunity to push past a regular 4th with the odd 3rd and occasional 5th monotony.

Considering the cuts to the squad that Ross has had to make this season, to have us where we are is a good achievement, there shouldn't be any doubt about that.

As Andy mentioned above, we are well placed to push ahead of Aberdeen. We're already well ahead of Hearts at this moment in time.
    Very much agree with this, Matty. Whilst it's frustrating that the pandemic has curtailed Ron's ambitious plans for the club (for the moment, at least), we are still in a very strong relative position thanks to the fact that he bought us.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I know you're not being entirely serious but it's actually quite an accurate assessment.

We finally caught up with the Queens Park in the number of major honours won in 2016... about 120 years after their last Scottish Cup win.

We had one period of relative 'dominance' in Scottish Football (alongside Rangers) that lasted about 7 or 8 years. Even then, we couldn't win the Scottish or League Cup.

Outside a couple of spells (e.g. 1950s, early 1970s), our home attendances against teams other than Rangers, Celtc and Hearts have mostly been below the 10k mark, with long spells where we would have around 4-5k at home games.

In the above regard, we've under achieved just as much as Hearts or Aberdeen in regards to our potential (probably even a bit more), given the population of the city we play in.

Makes you wonder why we bother
    It's grim, eh?

There's tons of potential at Hibs, we saw what the Scottish Cup win did for the club, imagine if we could hit that kind of success regularly?!

Hibs have a massive support, a lot of it inactive, but we see from Hampden trips etc what the potential is when those inactive fans mobilise.

Obviously Easter Road is too small for this as it is at the moment, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a successful Hibs could attract 40k on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    When you think of how often we finish 4th or better, he's doing very well. Give the bloke time ffs, stop being unhappy at 4th place and give him time to build a better team that might challenge 3rd.
    Is this you advocating the fact we should show a little patience? 😉

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Just been having a look and Hibs finished 4th the season that I was born in, and I had finished sixth year at school in 1995 when we finished 3rd - we hadn't matched 4th in in any of the intervening years. Since then we've been 3rd twice and 4th three times. So seven times we've been in the top 4 in my lifetime. Spent five years in the First Division in the same time period.

Pretty much wishing I hadn't looked now.
    Mad isn't it, yet get a manager in who dare's to give us a 5th place finish and the hordes will want him out.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    This is in no way a dig at ross as I think on the whole we’ve done well under him.

However, how far can people believe he can take us? I think 4th/5th will be the ceiling as I think we struggle in big games.

His results against the rest though are (usually) very good and seems to be building a settled side.

The style is one thing that concerns me, but I think a few more transfer windows and we may play a lot more positively?
    I'll share my opinion at the end of the transfer window...

Agree with the rest but bolded is surely false? Mowbray is recent history.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    I think we need to leave him alone other than support him, and let him build Rome

It's grim, eh?

Very!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Agree with the rest but bolded is surely false? Mowbray is recent history.
    I stand corrected, i should have said highest points tally.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It is a bit needlessly depressing really.

No reason to believe we should do anything other than build from here.

In a difficult environment we’ve shown we can go out and buy good local talent - Ron’s plans are ambitious to grow further.

Hearts are run habitually by idiots and remains to be seen what happens when fans get more involved. More financial issues there can’t be ruled out given the way their stand project went and still overpaying for their squad.

Aberdeen still have to find their way through funding a stadium.

With good coaching I don’t think we will be sitting behind these 2 in the pecking order. This is a good point to pushing to get ahead of them.

Anyway, Hearts have a bit to go before they can show they can get back in and stay in the league before thinking about 3rd.

I much prefer this way of looking at things.

For me Jack Ross is performing how he should. He’s had a bit of money to spend but challenging circumstances to contend with. I think as time goes on Ross will have more of an opportunity to develop the squad hopefully with fans behind him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk