hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mathie

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You think Kevin Nisbet stepping up to take a penalty in a huge game, days after his father passing, is signs of a bottler? He missed, it was utterly ***** to lose but it was very close.

Sport at the professional levels does some down to extremely slim margins. Guys spend years training for the 100 meters to lose by 0.01 seconds. Is that a bottling?
    Personally that laddie shouldn't have played never mind take a penalty, but hats off to him for taking the field. His head was not in the right place. When stepping up to take the penalty, I'm just submising he has been saying to himself " I'm going to do this for you dad"

Do these compare? the chances we had to beat them, with a swimmer missing out by 000.1 second.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    But we still got beat, I think that's what some are saying, we gave no ruthlessness, why accept doing alright and getting beat, why not be angry the we played well and got beat. For too long now we've had this mind set of top 6 is good, 4th is very decent but top 2 is beyond us because it's always Rangers and Celtic that get top 2. We've given both these teams bloody good games, even beaten Sevco in that cup final, we have to change or psyche at the club and start challenging more often.
    We will only challenge the top 2 if we spend serious money, Gerrard has spent millions in the last couple of seasons to get that squad, we simply don't have the money to compete for top 2 over the course of a season, nothing to do with changing mindset or psyche, it's just facts. Money talks. Our aim has to be 3rd/4th and a cup win consistently, curre tly sitting 4th and in the semi final of a cup, surely we are on track to where we should be

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    Personally that laddie shouldn't have played never mind take a penalty, but hats off to him for taking the field. His head was not in the right place. When stepping up to take the penalty, I'm just submising he has been saying to himself " I'm going to do this for you dad"

Do these compare? the chances we had to beat them, with a swimmer missing out by 000.1 second.
    If he scores first half then yes it looks an inspired decision. Slim margins.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    [QUOTE=gorgiegreens;6406338]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He was right

We bottled it, nothing to do with fine margins. Its not the only time he has used that strap line.
    Because it’s ****ing true.

Fine margins are the width of a crossbar; a goalkeeper playing out his skin (Gordon in the SF, Seigreist for DU); players missing chances (Doidge guilty of plenty of misses this season); the cross fro the Rangers goal taking a nick off a Hibs players before it reaches Hagi.

Yesterday was poor no question, but it wasn’t bottle that lost us that game. 2 in a row we have been beaten in the middle of the park, 2 games in a row that prove what we were all agreeing with earlier this season; that the midfield needs improving. That’s it, it’s not a question of bottle, it’s a question of signing quality in the right areas.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    But we still got beat, I think that's what some are saying, we gave no ruthlessness, why accept doing alright and getting beat, why not be angry the we played well and got beat. For too long now we've had this mind set of top 6 is good, 4th is very decent but top 2 is beyond us because it's always Rangers and Celtic that get top 2. We've given both these teams bloody good games, even beaten Sevco in that cup final, we have to change or psyche at the club and start challenging more often.
    Jack Ross said after Ibrox that he wasn’t happy that we lost and that nobody at the club could be happy at not winning.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    We will only challenge the top 2 if we spend serious money, Gerrard has spent millions in the last couple of seasons to get that squad, we simply don't have the money to compete for top 2 over the course of a season, nothing to do with changing mindset or psyche, it's just facts. Money talks. Our aim has to be 3rd/4th and a cup win consistently, curre tly sitting 4th and in the semi final of a cup, surely we are on track to where we should be
    I know money talks but it's more about mentality, why just be happy to get a draw or play well against them, why not be pissed off we didn't come away with a win. That same piss poor mentality also means we struggle against Livi, Ross Co, etc. So instead of hoping for top 4, let's make 3rd/4th a must and get as close as we can to the top spot. It happened with Lennon, 2 games to get 2nd then 2 crap games against Aberdeen and Hearts, we ended up 4th with Lennon questioning himself and us.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I know money talks but it's more about mentality, why just be happy to get a draw or play well against them, why not be pissed off we didn't come away with a win. That same piss poor mentality also means we struggle against Livi, Ross Co, etc. So instead of hoping for top 4, let's make 3rd/4th a must and get as close as we can to the top spot. It happened with Lennon, 2 games to get 2nd then 2 crap games against Aberdeen and Hearts, we ended up 4th with Lennon questioning himself and us.
    If we went absolutely mental about losing there do you think it would negate the £65m (using the figure quoted earlier) that Rangers have spent to get their squad where it is?

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Jack Ross said after Ibrox that he wasn’t happy that we lost and that nobody at the club could be happy at not winning.
    Did he, I honestly can't remember him saying that.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Did he, I honestly can't remember him saying that.
    More or less the first thing he said.

Edit, from the BBC website:

Hibernian manager Jack Ross: "We are trying to grow and foster a mentality at the club where we are not happy to lose matches, so we are disappointed we have not taken anything from the game.

"But it's a day for tempering that with pride in large parts of our performance. I thought we were excellent in how hard we made Rangers work for their victory in a stadium where they have been relentless this season."

Left by mutual consent!
    Nisbet had bottle in abundance to take that penalty.
    To be fair and its easy with hindsight he shouldn't have been taking that penalty.

Paul Hanlon should have stepped up and put his foot through it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    To be fair and its easy with hindsight he shouldn't have been taking that penalty.

Paul Hanlon should have stepped up and put his foot through it.
    Hanlon, who missed his last penalty when he put his foot through it?

If we went absolutely mental about losing there do you think it would negate the £65m (using the figure quoted earlier) that Rangers have spent to get their squad where it is?
    Not always about going mental, I still think we have a very soft centre going through our players, we seem to have a lack of belief at times, looking at the players coming out the tunnel for the 2nd half didn't instill confidence, Livi came out jogging and looking up for it and it showed.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Who says the players weren't/aren't pissed off? Pretty sure their mentality is fine or they would be playing Premier league football or even sitting 4th in the league currently. They are having a bad spell, all teams go through it at some point, it's now up to the management team and players to sort it out. Again rangers have spent millions since that season which is why they are miles ahead again, nothing to do with mentality

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Not always about going mental, I still think we have a very soft centre going through our players, we seem to have a lack of belief at times, looking at the players coming out the tunnel for the 2nd half didn't instill confidence, Livi came out jogging and looking up for it and it showed.
    Did they display that at Ibrox?

More or less the first thing he said.

Edit, from the BBC website:

Hibernian manager Jack Ross: "We are trying to grow and foster a mentality at the club where we are not happy to lose matches, so we are disappointed we have not taken anything from the game.

"But it's a day for tempering that with pride in large parts of our performance. I thought we were excellent in how hard we made Rangers work for their victory in a stadium where they have been relentless this season."
    👍

I remember it now, cheers.

I have no problems leaving Ibrox or Parkhead if we put in a performance but unfortunately we lose or even draw and if he was unhappy fine. It's the sloppy disinterested games like yesterday that annoys me, there have been too many for my liking.

Did they display that at Ibrox?
    See my reply below, yes they did but then we revert back to the rubbish against Ross C and Livi. The question has to be why do we go from looking really good at Ibrox to a bunch of no hopes within days

Even Celtic and Rangers need that extra bit of quality at times to overcome the likes of Ross County and Livingston when they are proving to be stubborn opposition. When you are paying millions for players that usually results in composure,consistency, better decision making and a stronger mindset, they also have bigger squads. We have players with potential, a much smaller squad and a management team who are trying to get the balance correct which takes time. There is no short cuts.

@hibs.net private member
    I couldn’t care less about how we perform in Glasgow, results/performances in Glasgow won’t define our season it’s the results against Aberdeen, big cup ties and consistently beating teams below us that will. So far, and being aware that there has been an improvement in the latter example, Jack Ross and his team have got much work to do. The loss to Hearts/beat twice of Aberdeen and getting humiliated at home by the footballing giants of Ross County and Livingston is a worry.