hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    If Ron Gordon seriously values success and wants to the club to be successful then this transfer window is his chance to prove his intentions. We have a real good chance at winning a cup all he needs to do is invest in serious quality. Its not all down to the fans to shell out. Its time the club started to be ambitious and now is the time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aberdeen will pay VAT (and Corporation Tax) on their income, as it's linked to goods and services.
    Thanks. What are Hibs scared of in doing the same as Aberdeen have then?

It seems kind of self-limiting not to put the full commercial weight of the club behind its own scheme, much as the efforts of HSL are widely commended.

I keep wanting this new(ish) owner to be everything Farmer and especially Petrie weren't, in terms of pushing the club on beyond its owner and his factor's personal wee fiefdom horizons, but to be honest I'm beginning to hae ma doubts that he's very similar in his outlook as they were.

A couple of decent much needed signings in January might dispel that, and might encourage me to make a donation over and above my monthly D/D, but having watched the last two half-@rsed performances at home, and the lacklustre, timid comments of our Sporting Director post-match, I might just not bother.

@hibs.net private member
    It is.

And has been said many times, on here and elsewhere.
    Is the Hearts one the same as ours or Aberdeen’s?

Are we being ultra cautious (similar to when they wouldn’t let you buy direct shares without an IFA) or is it a legitimate concern?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We spent decent fees on players in the summer despite knowing we were facing a long spell without fans and a huge cut in income.

We secured Martin Boyle when many thought he was on his way out.

Gordon already revealed plans for the club at the AGM (pre-Covid) that outlined that he wanted to double the wage bill.

Yet despite this, on the back of two admittedly horrendous performances, we get a thread like this putting a damper on an attempt by HSL to raise some finance to improve the club.

With friends like these, eh?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Dempster leaving. A poor run of form. Knocked out the Scottish Cup semi final by Hearts. Not looking promising.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    It is.

And has been said many times, on here and elsewhere.
    I know, you know, it was kinda rhetorical but no matter how many times it’s mentioned seems to pass folks by for whatever reason.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    I know, you know, it was kinda rhetorical but no matter how many times it’s mentioned seems to pass folks by for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Who said that? The point was that he cleared the debt and made a cash injection to the club, spending millions in doing so. If that's not 'ponying up' I don't know what is.
    I'm still none the wiser what his reasons were for doing so to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetDreams View Post
    Dempster leaving. A poor run of form. Knocked out the Scottish Cup semi final by Hearts. Not looking promising.
    It’s 4 games ffs. One against Rangers away, one against United that we should have won by a long way but for poor finishing. There’s not much defence for the RC game and none for today’s but come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    It’s 4 games ffs. One against Rangers away, one against United that we should have won by a long way but for poor finishing. There’s not much defence for the RC game and none for today’s but come on.
    4 games is quite a few when your pushing for third..

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    4 games too many we need to be aiming high

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We spent decent fees on players in the summer despite knowing we were facing a long spell without fans and a huge cut in income.

Gordon already revealed plans for the club at the AGM (pre-Covid) that outlined that he wanted to double the wage bill.

Yet despite this, on the back of two admittedly horrendous performances, we get a thread like this putting a damper on an attempt by HSL to raise some finance to improve the club.

Wow...a thread is started asking why the club aren't being more visible in their backing of HSL, or indeed setting their own fan-backed scheme to bring monies into the club, and that's conflated into "putting a damper on an attempt by HSL to raise some finance to improve the club".

In a thread that I've stated that I already make a monthly contribution through HSL, but would like our owner to potentially match what HSL are manfully trying to do?

Even by your historic grovelling standards of successive Boards at ER being able to do no wrong that really takes the cake.

With @rse kissers like these, eh?
    Last edited by Scotty Leither; 03-01-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Of all the stated aims of Ron Gordon at the AGM this was by far the biggest and most important. Clubs like us don't achieve success paying massive transfer fees, we do it by offering better wages than our direct competitors .... If we could reach the level of an average of £5,000 a week for 16 first team players we would need to raise just over 4 million quid a year to do it. We could be paying selected players around £7,000 a week on a wage budget like that. If we could match the likes of Aberdeen for wages that's when a very nice city to live in and great training facilities do come into play if it just becomes a toss up between two clubs offering the same money.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    Wow...a thread is started asking why the club aren't being more visible in their backing of HSL, or indeed setting their own fan-backed scheme to bring monies into the club, and that's conflated into "putting a damper on an attempt by HSL to raise some finance to improve the club".

In a thread that I've stated that I already make a monthly contribution through HSL, but would like our owner to potentially match what HSL are manfully trying to do?

Even by your historic grovelling standards of successive Boards at ER being able to do no wrong that really takes the cake.

Matty is pretty balanced. I think you’re second last sentence is uncalled for. Maybe you can share experiences of direct in-person engagement with the club? Maybe you have, maybe you haven’t.

Matty is sharing insights some of which may be based on his volunteering on LWT. He’s interviewed folks at the club. You come across as bitter towards him for whatever reason.

You do realise that for tax purposes the club cannot be seen to get directly involved with HSL right? The penny doesn’t appear to have dropped.

Maybe not as it could have saved a bit of time and energy? It was CWG that clarified the position re Tax he added ithas mentioned on many occasions.
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 03-01-2021 at 07:44 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Matty is pretty balanced. I think you’re second last sentence is uncalled for. Maybe you can share experiences of direct in-person engagement with the club? Maybe you have, maybe you haven’t.

Matty is sharing insights some of which may be based on his volunteering on LWT. He’s interviewed folks at the club. You come across as bitter towards him for whatever reason.

You do realise that for tax purposes the club cannot be seen to get directly involved with HSL right? The penny doesn’t appear to have dropped.

Maybe not as it could have saved a bit of time and energy? It was CWG that clarified the position re Tax he added ithas mentioned on many occasions.

You need to revisit your third paragraph.

The HSL board had two Hibernian football club appointed board members.
    I would call that being directly involved.
    Wouldn't you?

Ron Gordon has ‘ponied up’, he cleared all of the club’s debt when he came in and added something like 1 and a half million of cash when he arrived. Suggesting that he should just solve all of our problems is absolutely ridiculous. He is under no obligation at all to just start pumping his own money in and has always said that he wants the club to function like a well run business, generating profits and reinvesting them. Some reality needed if anyone thinks it’s time for Ron Gordon to just start throwing millions in to the fire.

Good post. How do people think we managed to sign Nisbet and Macgennis?
    They are two players we would have struggled to get under Petrie

He is investing significant sums into the club. But doing it sensibly and with a long term plan.

Jambosplashing cash about is fun for a while but doesn’t achieve his long term goal of growing the club to eventually be spending a considerable amount on players consistently and with sustainability

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I donate what I can afford to donate. How much Ron Gordon or anyone else "ponies up" is irrelevant.

Blaming someone else's lack of contribution for keeping your own hand in your pocket seems rather convenient.

I think the key point here is Hibernian Supporters have taken the initiative to try and raise some funds for the football club during an important month of the season.

£100k is a huge amount of money and a very ambitious target but we aim to raise that with or without any additional input from Ron Gordon. If we can do that then we’ll give a real boost to the football budget at a time when I think many agree we could do with a couple of fresh faces in the squad.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Are folk forgetting that we’re almost a year into a pandemic that has seen no fans attend games and a massive reduction in turnover for the club? Frankly, Ron keeping the club in existence, with the budget we currently have and having us compete for Europe and the latter stages in the cups tells me he is ‘ponying up’. I’m also pretty sure he will somehow find the funds to bring in 2 or 3 players in January to ensure we push on from what is actually a pretty strong position, despite the last few results.

Let’s not forget, we are not out the woods yet. If there’s still no fans in stadiums come the end of the season, how do we think season ticket sales will go? Financial forecasting will be a scary process.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 03-01-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The manager has been backed. He and the players are not performing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    The manager has been backed. He and the players are not performing.
    Yes, agreed - but for only the first time this season in a few matches in a row.

Let’s see them change that in the coming weeks. At Ibrox we were excellent, we haven’t become a bad team overnight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Yes, agreed - but for only the first time this season in a few matches in a row.

Let’s see them change that in the coming weeks. At Ibrox we were excellent, we haven’t become a bad team overnight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree. Apologies, previous post read a bit harsh!

I’m really not that desperate for any extra expenditure on the team. It’s just not sensible in the current economic climate. It wasn’t that long ago we were all excited about the Macgennis and Boyle news, some more depth at CB and striker might be a good idea but on paper we have the 4th best squad in Scotland, we need to stabilise with the squad we’ve got which should be enough to maintain our current league position and win the league cup.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishJohn View Post
    You need to revisit your third paragraph.

The HSL board had two Hibernian football club appointed board members.
    I would call that being directly involved.
    Wouldn't you?
    No they were acting in a different individual capacity and not as members of a collective Hibs Board. Subtle but important distinction just as they would be free to be non-exec directors of other organisations/institutions. No longer applies to Leeann of course even if she is still in directorship of HSL
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    These threads always end up in a kind of chicken and egg debate: who should act first and to what extent. Everyone can make their own decision. Those who can afford to donate to HSL and wish to, can; those who cannot afford it or don't wish to donate, won't. There is no compulsion and no shame in not donating. When it comes to owners, the fact is that, unless we miraculously find a Mansoor or an Abramovic, a club our size will have to try to achieve most bang for the buck, and a scheme like HSL can help us do that. We can't force an owner to put in more.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Nothing is passing me by.

Legal separation of the two entities does not and should not prevent a better working relationship. Yet again another initiative is launched with zero coordination between the two. It’s so frustrating.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    These threads always end up in a kind of chicken and egg debate: who should act first and to what extent. Everyone can make their own decision. Those who can afford to donate to HSL and wish to, can; those who cannot afford it or don't wish to donate, won't. There is no compulsion and no shame in not donating. When it comes to owners, the fact is that, unless we miraculously find a Mansoor or an Abramovic, a club our size will have to try to achieve most bang for the buck, and a scheme like HSL can help us do that. We can't force an owner to put in more.
    Totally agree, but we can acknowledge when an owner has put in money.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Totally agree, but we can acknowledge when an owner has put in money.

Yes of course Ron has put in money but he got a load of tangible assets in return.

That’s an investment, this is a donation. Given that the club can’t even be bothered to acknowledge this latest initiative, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for supporters to ask some questions.