hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gray & McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by GreenProfessor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry...but you’re both wrong. Watch the Time for Heroes DVD again...it was David Gray who lost Miller for the header off the bar, he confirmed it on the DVD...
    Daft argument but was 100% Stevenson, hence why he had his head in his hands before Miller even headed the ball. FWIW Lewis is done, Hanlon should be in and around the team but not an automatic starter, Daz and Gray are finished as well. Gray came on against Celtic and his rashness sold the jerseys as he has done often. A lot of work needed to our back 4, and Rocky back in ASAP.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Yep, I understand they are on a relatively low basic wage which is heavily weighted by appearances.
    There is no way of knowing that. One thing for sure, we are not getting value for money employing two players who can’t play no matter how bad things are going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    There is no way of knowing that. One thing for sure, we are not getting value for money employing two players who can’t play no matter how bad things are going.

Both are fit and ready to play if required, they can't help not being picked

They can play but Ross is choosing not to. Where are you getting they can't play from?

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Both are fit and ready to play if required, they can't help not being picked
    Exactly and some of the criticism of the two of them is totally unnecessary IMO and comments about the length of their contracts without knowing the details out of order. It doesn’t matter if they are contracted beyond this season IMO all that I believe should be debated is whether they should have a playing contract for this season and I certainly would have given each of them a deal. What happens next season is another matter.

Until the last few games Porteous and Hanlon along with Paul McGinn have been playing well, Jack Ross has rightly played them with SDG and Daz on the bench to be brought on as required, but in the main you don’t sub your defenders for tactical reasons so neither of them are getting on. I’m sure both of them accept that, although after yesterday’s performance both would have good cause for chapping on the managers door.

The fact is we need cover, both players are being used in that capacity just now.

I’d argue a bigger waste of a wage is Stephen McGinn who I actually like as a player. A position we didn’t need cover in, who the manager appears to have signed more because he actually likes him as a person and he’s good to have around rather than because he has any intention in actually playing him regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I’d argue a bigger waste of a wage is Stephen McGinn who I actually like as a player. A position we didn’t need cover in, who the manager appears to have signed more because he actually likes him as a person and he’s good to have around rather than because he has any intention in actually playing him regularly.

This is rather annoying, not a player we needed and many on here questioned at the time as to why he was signed, jobs for the boys is something you expect to see at Hearts and not Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This is rather annoying, not a player we needed and many on here questioned at the time as to why he was signed, jobs for the boys is something you expect to see at Hearts and not Hibs.
    Totally agree and like I say as I player I quite like him, but listening to his last interview he came across as delighted to have a contract but not overly fussed about actually playing.

Totally agree and like I say as I player I quite like him, but listening to his last interview he came across as delighted to have a contract but not overly fussed about actually playing.

If McGinn had all his badges as a coach and was signed as a player coach to act as cover, then I'd be happy enough for that but that isn't the case.

Re the Gray/McGregor deals, I was of the assumption that the longer deals was to allow them to integrate into the background side of the club by either going into coaching or ambassador roles, I think both have been doing their badges and their leadership skills were important for the squad.

If McGinn had all his badges as a coach and was signed as a player coach to act as cover, then I'd be happy enough for that but that isn't the case.

Re the Gray/McGregor deals, I was of the assumption that the longer deals was to allow them to integrate into the background side of the club by either going into coaching or ambassador roles, I think both have been doing their badges and their leadership skills were important for the squad.
    Who are they coaching? I’m never at HTC now so I’ve no idea what group they are involved in. We don’t have a dev team anymore so it must only be kids? If they aren’t going to play maybe it’s time to have them actively coaching from the sidelines? If we have no leaders on the pitch what’s stopping the leadership coming from 2 yards off the pitch?

Re Gray/McGregor deals thats absolutely my understanding of their deals and how GC described them. Yet it constantly gets brought up as if their longer term deals impacts on this season. IMO it doesn’t, I’d have given both a playing contract for this season with the understanding that it may be more for cover than as regular starters. I don’t think either are finished but it’s not easy to come in with little game time and not be rusty. Every player I’ve ever heard talk about it says there is a huge difference between being fit and match fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Who are they coaching? I’m never at HTC now so I’ve no idea what group they are involved in. We don’t have a dev team anymore so it must only be kids? If they aren’t going to play maybe it’s time to have them actively coaching from the sidelines? If we have no leaders on the pitch what’s stopping the leadership coming from 2 yards off the pitch?

I think Covid has made things difficult right now, there are still youth teams at HTC as far as I'm aware but nearly all Dev players are out on loan due to no league, I don't know if Daz and Gray are doing their badges I heard they were, perhaps that's been suspended during these times. Maybe Ross doesn't want them to be doing that as it undermines his position, TBH I'd like to see a lot more animation from Ross instead of just standing there hands in pockets whispering to his assistant. Leadership comes from the top and I see very little from the sidelines.

Re Gray/McGregor deals thats absolutely my understanding of their deals and how GC described them. Yet it constantly gets brought up as if their longer term deals impacts on this season. IMO it doesn’t, I’d have given both a playing contract for this season with the understanding that it may be more for cover than as regular starters. I don’t think either are finished but it’s not easy to come in with little game time and not be rusty. Every player I’ve ever heard talk about it says there is a huge difference between being fit and match fit.

Also with no reserve league this year it means fringe players have no way of getting game time.

I think Covid has made things difficult right now, there are still youth teams at HTC as far as I'm aware but nearly all Dev players are out on loan due to no league, I don't know if Daz and Gray are doing their badges I heard they were, perhaps that's been suspended during these times. Maybe Ross doesn't want them to be doing that as it undermines his position, TBH I'd like to see a lot more animation from Ross instead of just standing there hands in pockets whispering to his assistant. Leadership comes from the top and I see very little from the sidelines.
    Badges are still going on for sure. Best time possible for them to do it as all the theory is being done remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Badges are still going on for sure. Best time possible for them to do it as all the theory is being done remotely.

I didn't know how they did that, I think due to this years problems our squad is such that both are on the bench as a necessity, if it was a normal season then you might have found they'd be doing more coaching with kids and a couple of new signings were here to challenge for places.
    Last edited by J-C; 03-01-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    I’d have them both back in the team. They deserve a chance. Although can’t see Jack Ross dropping McGinn for Gray.

And if they are not in his thoughts, get the 2 of them away on loan and use the funds to get others who can push for start.
    Mcginn and Mcgregor centre half. Gray RB and Doig LB.

Whole defence apart from Mcginn need dropped.

@hibs.net private member
    It’s lucky Hibs are so loaded we can pay a couple of fans to sit on our bench every week.

We are so light in the squad, due to a long list of injuries and having to cut the player budget due to covid losses, that we could only manage six subs on the bench for the Ross County game. If you can get yourself registered you’ll probably find yourself on the bench at some point this season. We had one suspension and eight first team squad players injured that night and we’re not a lot better off yet.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

It still baffles me, although when I mentioned this on another thread assessing Ross's signings it was shredded by one of our all knowing posters. Why Stephen McGinn was signed will remain an unanswered question for me.

Who knows if Gray and McGregor can still play at SPL level. If they can't then why are they even on the bench? TBF Gray is competing with McGinn, one of our better players this season. A fit McGregor is worth a start. Both Porteous and Hanlon seem prone to conceding simple goals, with Porto compounding this with rash passes, daft tackles and the like.

You wonder what else is going on. It's all a bit odd (like Ross's substitution policy).

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    It still baffles me, although when I mentioned this on another thread assessing Ross's signings it was shredded by one of our all knowing posters. Why Stephen McGinn was signed will remain an unanswered question for me.

Who knows if Gray and McGregor can still play at SPL level. If they can't then why are they even on the bench? TBF Gray is competing with McGinn, one of our better players this season. A fit McGregor is worth a start. Both Porteous and Hanlon seem prone to conceding simple goals, with Porto compounding this with rash passes, daft tackles and the like.

You wonder what else is going on. It's all a bit odd (like Ross's substitution policy).
    My issue with Stephen McGinn isn’t so much why he was signed - but why hasn’t he played more?

He’s actually looked pretty decent to me during his appearances late on in games.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Daft argument but was 100% Stevenson, hence why he had his head in his hands before Miller even headed the ball. FWIW Lewis is done, Hanlon should be in and around the team but not an automatic starter, Daz and Gray are finished as well. Gray came on against Celtic and his rashness sold the jerseys as he has done often. A lot of work needed to our back 4, and Rocky back in ASAP.
    Have you actually watched Time for Heroes? Suggest you take a look and you’ll see David Gray talk about losing Kenny Miller for the header off the bar....I agree, it is a daft argument, especially when the facts are there for all too see on a DVD...

@hibs.net private member

Gray & McGregor

The reason S McGinn was signed is really simple. He is back up, likely a cheap option, there to make up the numbers and be used occasionally if needed.

I’m pretty sure he is also seen as good to have around the dressing room, may do some analysis work on opposing teams..

Was important for squad numbers, particularly when budget was restricted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Ryan Porteous is our weak link. Get him TF!!!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    That weak that he was called up into the Scotland squad. Up until the last week he was having a great season, yes he’s had a couple of errors but he’s strolled through just about every other game this season. Porteous is the least of our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    My issue with Stephen McGinn isn’t so much why he was signed - but why hasn’t he played more?

He’s actually looked pretty decent to me during his appearances late on in games.
    Does anyone else agree with that? Maybe he should play more? I can’t say I’m very impressed by his contribution thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    The reason S McGinn was signed is really simple. He is back up, likely a cheap option, there to make up the numbers and be used occasionally if needed.

I’m pretty sure he is also seen as good to have around the dressing room, may do some analysis work on opposing teams..

Was important for squad numbers, particularly when budget was restricted

We have Gray and McGregor for being good around the dressing room. I’m not sure what this really means? What about Stevenson, Hanlon, Boyle, PMcGinn, etc, etc. Are they all so weak minded they need the presence of a guy who rarely plays to buoy their spirits?

Good for squad numbers isn’t cutting it with me as a signing strategy. We need players who play, when you add Murphy and Magennis into that mix, it’s not that great.

We miss the drive of both of those players but there's nothing to suggest, from the last few times each has played, that they'd be an improvement on the current players.

SDG's passing the last few times he played was utterly woeful, and he left a massive gap on one side of the pitch for the opposition to attack while he was trying to drive the game forward.

@hibs.net private member

Gray & McGregor

Does anyone else agree with that? Maybe he should play more? I can’t say I’m very impressed by his contribution thus far.

We have Gray and McGregor for being good around the dressing room. I’m not sure what this really means? What about Stevenson, Hanlon, Boyle, PMcGinn, etc, etc. Are they all so weak minded they need the presence of a guy who rarely plays to buoy their spirits?

Good for squad numbers isn’t cutting it with me as a signing strategy. We need players who play, when you add Murphy and Magennis into that mix, it’s not that great.
    We were short in midfield, he came in as backup for there...can’t see what’s unclear about it at all.....

We can debate whether it’s worked or not, but the decision to sign him is straight forward

I don’t necessarily think he’s the answer but he might be worthy of further opportunity.

He scored at Motherwell and put a lovely weighted pass through to Stevenson late in the game on Wednesday.

Mallan and Gogic both started yesterday and it really didn’t work. It “hasn’t worked” with either or both of those 2 in a good few attempts.

I stress - I don’t think he’s the answer but in a season where we’re toiling in midfield and our squad is stretched, I’m at the point where he might just be worth a shout.

Totally agree. The combined money for Gray, McGregor and McGinn would be much better spent on one player that we actually see on the pitch from time to time. I know McGinn does manage that now and again but he’s not going to make any kind of proper contribution.

Love Gray and McGregor and it’s not their fault they are in the position they are but it’s three players in our squad every week who simply aren’t going to contribute. And if they do get in at any point they’re going to be so far off the pace. Remember a home game, not long before the original lockdown, where Gray had an absolute disaster and was hooked at half time. Neither of them have played any kind of regular football for far too long now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    We were short in midfield, he came in as backup for there...can’t see what’s unclear about it at all.....

We can debate whether it’s worked or not, but the decision to sign him is straight forward

So we can drop the stuff you posted about being good in the dressing room etc and just focus on his playing contribution then?

I understand the part about being short in midfield and a player being signed as back up. However, given he trained with us for weeks prior to signing I remain baffled by why Ross thought he could contribute and why he was given a year long contract. When the **** hits the fan, like it is now, that is when you start looking at errors of judgement.

I would add Murphy and Magennis to the list of questionable signings, although this starts moving away from Gray and McGregor at increasingly tangential tangents.

@hibs.net private member

Gray & McGregor

So we can drop the stuff you posted about being good in the dressing room etc and just focus on his playing contribution then?

I understand the part about being short in midfield and a player being signed as back up. However, given he trained with us for weeks prior to signing I remain baffled by why Ross thought he could contribute and why he was given a year long contract. When the **** hits the fan, like it is now, that is when you start looking at errors of judgement.

I would add Murphy and Magennis to the list of questionable signings, although this starts moving away from Gray and McGregor at increasingly tangential tangents.
    He's been a captain almost everywhere he has played - so being good in the dressing room is a reasonable point to note...in a year where budgets are restricted, we have had to cut our cloth - I don't see what's unreasonable for us to sign someone simply as back up...that can add value elsewhere too. In previous years we've had 3 or 4 of these, that hardly kicked a ball. That's all that this signing is. I don't see the S McGinn signing being a big error, or an error at all. It is what it is. When results are poor people go on hyper alert to raise anything that might not be working - this time it is the McGinn signing getting it. If those who were playing were still winning, it wouldn't be on this forum.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 03-01-2021 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Totally agree. The combined money for Gray, McGregor and McGinn would be much better spent on one player that we actually see on the pitch from time to time. I know McGinn does manage that now and again but he’s not going to make any kind of proper contribution.

Love Gray and McGregor and it’s not their fault they are in the position they are but it’s three players in our squad every week who simply aren’t going to contribute. And if they do get in at any point they’re going to be so far off the pace. Remember a home game, not long before the original lockdown, where Gray had an absolute disaster and was hooked at half time. Neither of them have played any kind of regular football for far too long now.
    Following that logic, if we don’t have Gray and McGregor what would we do if a centre back or Paul McGinn get injured or suspended ? Be nice to think every player would contribute but we need cover. Until the past few games our centre backs and right back have played well and deserved to keep their place in the team.

My bigger issue is with Stephen McGinn because it’s a position we already had cover for. Cheap or not I still believe would could have got a loan signing from down south who could have contributed, as we did with Barker when he was on loan.