hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gray & McGregor

Gray & McGregor

One of the few guarantees in squad selection each week is that this pair are always on the bench.

Why are they deemed not good enough to start or even replace an ineffectual player. They could have justifiably replaced McGinn/Hanlon/Porteous today. Gray or McGregor only seem to replace a player if one gets injured during a game.

So if they are not good enough to start or be a substitute in an attempt to improve the team what is the point in them being on the bench. It’s like having 3 goalkeepers on the bench.

in no way do I disrespect Gray or McGregor, they are club legends. It just baffles me why they are on the bench every week but not deemed good enough to play. I know the squad is small. But this highlights why we should be using all the players in the first team squad we have.

If Gray and McGregor are seemingly not good enough they should be moved on.

It just one of the many strange things that is going on at the moment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    After today's performance we are surely looking at CH, hanlon and porteous just not good enough at the moment

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    You’d have thought with the amount of games recently there would have been a need to have at least McGregor in for one or two games

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the few guarantees in squad selection each week is that this pair are always on the bench.

Why are they deemed not good enough to start or even replace an ineffectual player. They could have justifiably replaced McGinn/Hanlon/Porteous today. Gray or McGregor only seem to replace a player if one gets injured during a game.

So if they are not good enough to start or be a substitute in an attempt to improve the team what is the point in them being on the bench. It’s like having 3 goalkeepers on the bench.

in no way do I disrespect Gray or McGregor, they are club legends. It just baffles me why they are on the bench every week but not deemed good enough to play. I know the squad is small. But this highlights why we should be using all the players in the first team squad we have.

If Gray and McGregor are seemingly not good enough they should be moved on.

It just one of the many strange things that is going on at the moment.

Been thinking the exact same myself it’s like having 2 fans on bench never get on.

Left by mutual consent!
    I’d have them both back in the team. They deserve a chance. Although can’t see Jack Ross dropping McGinn for Gray.

And if they are not in his thoughts, get the 2 of them away on loan and use the funds to get others who can push for start.

Asked similar in the match day thread. We are crying out for the forward drive Gray offered us previously. If he isn't capable of playing then we need to go get a new right back that is actually good going forward. We have a half decent young laddie in Doig on the left then zero threat from the right except for Boyle who at the moment is woefully out of form.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Asked similar in the match day thread. We are crying out for the forward drive Gray offered us previously. If he isn't capable of playing then we need to go get a new right back that is actually good going forward. We have a half decent young laddie in Doig on the left then zero threat from the right except for Boyle who at the moment is woefully out of form.
    Marciano

Gray
    Porteous
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Doig

Magennis
    Newell

Murphy

Boyle
    Nisbet/Doidge

3-5-2

It’s lucky Hibs are so loaded we can pay a couple of fans to sit on our bench every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a while since they've been good enough to start. A nice send off if they refused immediate coaching roles was the way to go.

Release them if we can.

The 2 of them were " kept on " to be used as a tool to instill a certain mentality within the squad as they were seen to be born leaders and an example if what Hibs expects of our players. Full of passion, run through a brick wall, hate to lose and able to play a bit as well... doesn't seem to be working !

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It pretty much hits home the perils of operating a small squad. Great when we are on a decent run of form, but too many know they have little threat to their starting place and we are always going to be a few injuries away from being stretched. Gray and McGregor being on the bench with their best days behind them is evidence of the lack of quality and real competition for places.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It’s lucky Hibs are so loaded we can pay a couple of fans to sit on our bench every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They must be on seriously reduced pay though and that would have been one of the things that made longer-term contracts work for both the players and the club.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    If both Gray and McGregor were fit enough sure they would be near enough 1st picks , Gray's style of play and injuries have caught up with him while the sands of time have caught up with McGregor both are the type of players we are missing.
    Contracts were signed before COVID if it's possible time to move them on with Hanlon and Stevenson.

Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    If both Gray and McGregor were fit enough sure they would be near enough 1st picks , Gray's style of play and injuries have caught up with him while the sands of time have caught up with McGregor both are the type of players we are missing.
    Contracts were signed before COVID if it's possible time to move them on with Hanlon and Stevenson.
    McGregor hasn't been better than Hanlon at any point they've both been here. Nothing to do with injury. Hanlon has always been alongside or ahead of him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    McGregor hasn't been better than Hanlon at any point they've both been here. Nothing to do with injury. Hanlon has always been alongside or ahead of him.

It's a matter opinion nobody mentioned who was better , all 4 are Scottish Cup winning legends but have had there time and it's time to move them on .

Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    It's a matter opinion nobody mentioned who was better , all 4 are Scottish Cup winning legends but have had there time and it's time to move them on .
    Three of them need to go. One has been really good this season apart from the last week.

Stevenson and Hanlon are clearly still capable of playing at this level. Hanlon especially has been good this season but was poor this past week. Stevenson is nearing the end of his career and the transition to a Doig or Mackie is clearly starting but he's still of tremendous use to the squad. We just need to stop chopping and changing the LB's so often.

The same can't be said for the other two sadly.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I’d have a fit McGregor in front of Hanlon every time.

By far the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I’d have a fit McGregor in front of Hanlon every time.

By far the better player.
    4 managers have always picked Hanlon. I love McGregor but Hanlon is much better. As footballers there's no contest. McGregor obviously the more aggressive and wins a few more headers but we'll behind Paul in other areas.

Around the time when we won the Scottish cup McGregor was probably at his peak and for me that version of him was better than any version of Paul Hanlon.

Hanlon has been around longer and has been more consistent whereas Darren has a few more miles on the clock and bad injuries caught up with him.

For me peak v peak McGregor is better but got overall consistency over the years it's Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Around the time when we won the Scottish cup McGregor was probably at his peak and for me that version of him was better than any version of Paul Hanlon.

Hanlon has been around longer and has been more consistent whereas Darren has a few more miles on the clock and bad injuries caught up with him.

For me peak v peak McGregor is better but got overall consistency over the years it's Hanlon.
    In the cup final he lost miller twice, once a goal, other hit the bar.

His peak imo was his run in the side in the second half of our first season back up. He was excellent in the back 3 with Efe and Paul doing his passing and him being able to do the basics. Paul is far more complete.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    4 managers have always picked Hanlon. I love McGregor but Hanlon is much better. As footballers there's no contest. McGregor obviously the more aggressive and wins a few more headers but we'll behind Paul in other areas.
    McGregor is to me what being a Hibs player is all about, he’s real captain material.

I also like both of them but think their time is up with us. We need to move on.

@hibs.net private member
    In the cup final he lost miller twice, once a goal, other hit the bar.

His peak imo was his run in the side in the second half of our first season back up. He was excellent in the back 3 with Efe and Paul doing his passing and him being able to do the basics. Paul is far more complete.
    Being a pedant here but it was Stevenson that lost Miller for the header that hit the bar, McGregor was marking Wilson.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ryan Porteous is our weak link. Get him TF!!!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Ryan Porteous is our weak link. Get him TF!!!

You've been over most threads slagging off every defender at every opportunity, do you even support Hibs?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    You've been over most threads slagging off every defender at every opportunity, do you even support Hibs?
    Watch him and learn.

He is AWFUL

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Watch him and learn.

He is AWFUL

That's not what I asked, I've just been reading 3-4 threads and you've slagged off Hanlon, Stevenson and Porteous, I'm just waiting for a Paul McGinn slagging and you'll have done the whole back 4, do you actually support Hibs?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Being a pedant here but it was Stevenson that lost Miller for the header that hit the bar, McGregor was marking Wilson.
    Sorry...but you’re both wrong. Watch the Time for Heroes DVD again...it was David Gray who lost Miller for the header off the bar, he confirmed it on the DVD...

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    They must be on seriously reduced pay though and that would have been one of the things that made longer-term contracts work for both the players and the club.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Yep, I understand they are on a relatively low basic wage which is heavily weighted by appearances.