hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

NHC - crazy end to a penalty shootout

https://youtu.be/N9LlUzZ4PlQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    I watched this last night, the referee needs sacked, he let them make a sub in the middle of the penalties and told Orlando they had won when there was still another penalty to go.

I think that ref may find himself 'rested' for a few weeks. Makes Wilie Collum look competent.

Sylar referenced it in the other games thread as it was unfolding. I don’t think there’s an easy way to explain the sequence of events, just bonkers. They need to give some latitude to keepers staying on their line or the exercise becomes a farce.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sylar referenced it in the other games thread as it was unfolding. I don’t think there’s an easy way to explain the sequence of events, just bonkers. They need to give some latitude to keepers staying on their line or the exercise becomes a farce.
    The automatic booking rule needs to be changed.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The automatic booking rule needs to be changed.
    It’s very unfair. If the keeper encroaches twice, fair enough. But I’ve always thought the keeper should be allowed a yard off his line at a pen or he can’t achieve explosive power.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s very unfair. If the keeper encroaches twice, fair enough. But I’ve always thought the keeper should be allowed a yard off his line at a pen or he can’t achieve explosive power.
    Some of the bookings have been given after var has had to zoom in to tell the keeper was off his line. I’ve noticed a few keepers actually standing behind the line in order to allow them to take a step towards the ball.

United we stand here....

Worst bit was allowing Nani’s penalty in normal time to stand. Clearly stops for a good second before continuing run up.

Mad how Scott bain wasn't booked yesterday though a?

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    What happened with the last penalty? Did they all just forget the score?

Some Mickey Mouse nonsense there.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Some of the bookings have been given after var has had to zoom in to tell the keeper was off his line. I’ve noticed a few keepers actually standing behind the line in order to allow them to take a step towards the ball.
    Just after the rule change happened at the start of last season, my son was playing in goal at U13 in a local preseason tournament. His semifinal knockout game went to pens and every pen was scored until the 8th at 4-3. He saves it, everyone goes mental for him, and the ref orders a retake for him having his trailing foot off the line. We looked at video afterwards and it was technically correct by a matter of centimetres, but you know, FFS man You know the ref was just showing off he’d researched the change. They ended up losing the shootout.

I know it’s a very different standard of the game, but this ridiculousness is creeping into every level.

Just after the rule change happened at the start of last season, my son was playing in goal at U13 in a local preseason tournament. His semifinal knockout game went to pens and every pen was scored until the 8th at 4-3. He saves it, everyone goes mental for him, and the ref orders a retake for him having his trailing foot off the line. We looked at video afterwards and it was technically correct by a matter of centimetres, but you know, FFS man You know the ref was just showing off he’d researched the change. They ended up losing the shootout.

I know it’s a very different standard of the game, but this ridiculousness is creeping into every level.
    Unbelievable 😂 likewise the one in the WWC that ultimately put Scotland out. Matter of millimetres, expect players to be able to do whatever they want running up to the ball but won’t let a keeper budge a centimetre off his line without flashing a yellow card at them. They don’t mean to do it, your taught to dive forwards first and foremost, but also to get the spring you need to step forward.

On off the ball yesterday listeners were asked to contact the show with football trivia.One guy text to say the same team in Scotland has taken part in the highest and lowest scoring penalty shoot out, who was the team (he wasn't quite right because the high score record had been beaten recently)

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Unbelievable 😂 likewise the one in the WWC that ultimately put Scotland out. Matter of millimetres, expect players to be able to do whatever they want running up to the ball but won’t let a keeper budge a centimetre off his line without flashing a yellow card at them. They don’t mean to do it, your taught to dive forwards first and foremost, but also to get the spring you need to step forward.
    ...and it’s impossible to get any spring without a forward step!

...and it’s impossible to get any spring without a forward step!
    Really? Quite easy to spring sideways by taking a sideways step imo.

@hibs.net private member
    Crazy stuff from the officials. I'm in two minds about the booking for being off his line. Arguably you would get booked if you came out a wall and encroached within the 10 yards so there is consistency there. When it leads to a sending off in a shoot out, when the match has in some senses finished, it does appear very harsh but then again think of 100m runners. I'd rather the advantage is with the takers myself but I don't agree that zoom etc should be used in the decisions with VAR. That is taking it too far and moving it away from what the ref was capable of seeing. In Scotland we know that old firm keepers and Aberdeen keepers are fine coming off their line at a pen as long as they don't touch the ball before the penalty taker.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    No chance. You’d just fall over. Take a step sideways and then try and spring all in a millisecond to cover that side of goal, you’d be as well giving the attacker a free shot with no keeper. It’s completely unnatural and wrong, especially in a shootout where everyone should be equal. In a game a penalty should be a punishment to the defending side. There’s a reason the laws of the game were changed so only one foot had to be on the line though, so one foot can still step forward and give that spring, but it’s so hard to judge the second foot not leaving the line.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Crazy stuff from the officials. I'm in two minds about the booking for being off his line. Arguably you would get booked if you came out a wall and encroached within the 10 yards so there is consistency there. When it leads to a sending off in a shoot out, when the match has in some senses finished, it does appear very harsh but then again think of 100m runners. I'd rather the advantage is with the takers myself but I don't agree that zoom etc should be used in the decisions with VAR. That is taking it too far and moving it away from what the ref was capable of seeing. In Scotland we know that old firm keepers and Aberdeen keepers are fine coming off their line at a pen as long as they don't touch the ball before the penalty taker.
    A defender coming a couple of inches closer in the wall is never going to be penalised, nor booked. Defender running a yard or more closer potentially, but that’s not the argument here. There should be no advantage in a shootout, no stutters, stops etc, run up, strike, and the keeper tries to save it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    No chance. You’d just fall over. Take a step sideways and then try and spring all in a millisecond to cover that side of goal, you’d be as well giving the attacker a free shot with no keeper. It’s completely unnatural and wrong, especially in a shootout where everyone should be equal. In a game a penalty should be a punishment to the defending side. There’s a reason the laws of the game were changed so only one foot had to be on the line though, so one foot can still step forward and give that spring, but it’s so hard to judge the second foot not leaving the line.
    Everyone would be equal, it's the same for both sides.

Falling over is a tad exaggerated It would be harder for them to save the shot but that's the point

Everyone would be equal, it's the same for both sides.

Falling over is a tad exaggerated It would be harder for them to save the shot but that's the point
    Everyone wouldn’t be equal, the attacker already has the advantage of knowing where he’s putting it. He’s in control. I genuinely don’t think falling over is exaggerated lol, honestly try and step sideways and then In the same movement dive, remembering the ball is being struck fairly quickly, without moving too early to make it simple for the attacker.

That’s strictly speaking true, but it’s almost always the forward, not sideways momentum you need to make a save from a pen because of the trajectory of the ball. You need to come forward to intercept that trajectory.