hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Positives and negatives from today

Now that the disappointment of losing a late equaliser has subsidised a bit, what can we take from today?

Positives:
    Kevin Nisbet again showed what he’s all about with a terrific goal and some great movement throughout the game
    We found ways to trouble Celtic, and with a bit more composure could have added more goals
    Took a two goal lead at home to the champions
    Didn’t look much like conceding for most of the match
    The majority of the second half we were comfortable
    We defended well for the vast majority of the game
    Marciano

Negatives:
    Didn’t think we were nearly aggressive enough in the first half (improved after half time)
    Not composed enough on the ball throughout - would argue this contributed to both Celtic’s goals
    Basic errors were punished, as you’d expect but we contributed massively to dropping the points

The game was there to be won, obviously the referee gifted them a penalty and a route back into the game but that wouldn’t have mattered if we cleared our lines properly. Ultimately that’s the frustration from today, we should really be sitting back reflecting on a good performance and a great result.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    They still haven’t beaten us in the league at ER since 2014

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Agree with all that especially the last part, would have been a fantastic lift for everyone after recent disappointments. Would add Mackie to the positives think he is a certainty to start midweek.

I'd have bitten your hand off for a point before the game so to get that is a positive. Having observed the level of performance Celtic gave it's a negative to have dropped 2 points.

That was there for the taking and a combination of factors prevented us doing so. There were several good performances but a lack of composure and a bit of panic late on cost us. I said repeatedly on the match thread that we were frantic every time we had the ball and that's contributed to a shanked clearance when there was time to show a bit composure and get it right.

Frustrated more than angry sums it up for me. Plenty positives to take and plenty to work on as well.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd have bitten your hand off for a point before the game so to get that is a positive. Having observed the level of performance Celtic gave it's a negative to have dropped 2 points.

That was there for the taking and a combination of factors prevented us doing so. There were several good performances but a lack of composure and a bit of panic late on cost us. I said repeatedly on the match thread that we were frantic every time we had the ball and that's contributed to a shanked clearance when there was time to show a bit composure and get it right.

Frustrated more than angry sums it up for me. Plenty positives to take and plenty to work on as well.
    Agree with that.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    After the initial extreme frustration of dropping 2 points, it's a plus in the managers column for me.

But we really need to sort ourselves out in the big games. That's Hearts, Aberdeen and now Celtic that we've let ourselves down.

We won't win every game against our rivals but we need to get much better at seeing ourselves games.

Positively need Newell to sign an extension to his contract.

Thought Mallan was a positive today, actually had a but dig about him

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Positively need Newell to sign an extension to his contract.

Thought Mallan was a positive today, actually had a but dig about him
    Mallan had a good game, he’s been in good form this season.

Biggest frustration was that we had a gilt-edged chance to win it at the end but lack of composure did for us again.A tale of two left backs in the opposing penalty areas. One bangs it into the net and the other one skies it over the bag.Pity.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Mallan had a good game, he’s been in good form this season.
    Nonsense. He's pish. I read it on here.

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    Positive was our tightness during open play. It looked like Celtic could’ve played all day without scoring until we gifted them two.

Negative - we lack players to put their foot on the ball and control the tempo and flow of the game.

Also thought today showed how valuable Doidge is to us, nothing was sticking first half.

We’re a Declan Gallagher (nasty centre half) and Alan Campbell (all action, energetic centre midfielder) away from properly challenging aberdeen.

One of the external positives from the game is that it is quite clear Celtic are not going to win 10 in a row.

Of course, the main negative from this outcome is that it will probably be Rangers winning it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Craig75 View Post
    Positive was our tightness during open play. It looked like Celtic could’ve played all day without scoring until we gifted them two.

Negative - we lack players to put their foot on the ball and control the tempo and flow of the game.

Also thought today showed how valuable Doidge is to us, nothing was sticking first half.

We’re a Declan Gallagher (nasty centre half) and Alan Campbell (all action, energetic centre midfielder) away from properly challenging aberdeen.
    Gallagher was hopeless against Celtic before the break and motherwells defensive record is worse than ours. He’s not the messiah.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    The positive for me was the performance level and the acceptance that to get anything from the game, everyone has to be on it. The negative is why we can't do that week in and week out against "lesser " opposition.

Sometimes there will just be more questions than answers!

@hibs.net private member
    Sean Mackie was a big positive. Looks a real prospect and didn’t look out of place against the champions

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    Sean Mackie was a big positive. Looks a real prospect and didn’t look out of place against the champions
    Yeah , I should have listed him in the positives category. I had him as my man of the match, thought he was excellent.

Still pretty annoyed at throwing two points away today. I feel we lost the two points rather than Celtic gaining the point, they were garbage in the second half until the last 10 minutes.

I would have taken a point before the game though but the circumstances of how that draw's come about isn't great.

Everything I’d been thinking has already been said, I’d also add that Murphy was very good throughout in addition to the goal. Definitely more positives than negatives today.

Mackie was our best player for me.

Murphy getting off the mark was also positive.

Negative for me is just general, it just feels like there is something missing. There are obvious gaps in quality but I don’t think we really play with any freedom or enjoyment. Was an odd game because I couldn’t believe we were 2-0 up. But then I couldn’t believe we threw it away once we were!

@hibs.net private member
    Positives thought we set up ok , Celtic with the amount money they spend on players are always going to have the bulk of possession.
    Murphy getting sharper took his goal well. Nisbet back on the score sheet although he missed penalty took his goal well .Very good performance from Mackie.

Negatives loosing 2 goals due to lack of concentration from the 2 centre backs. One a youngster which has happened couple of times recently and one who should know better.
    Six what I would class as big games this season and no wins.
    Celtic P2 D1 L1 . Rangers P1 D1 . Aberdeen P2 L2. Hertz P1 L1 according to the Uber poster crew no Hibs supporter should still be annoyed about getting beat in the Semi final.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Nonsense. He's pish. I read it on here.
    Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different.

With Mackie performance gives us an argument for using Stevenson in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1875 View Post
    Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different.
    Closed people down all game, you obviously see it different.
    He definitely wasn't pish

He played very well

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

His booking was a ‘good’ foul. Absolutely the right thing to do. Something we don’t usually do!

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Closed people down all game, you obviously see it different.
    He definitely wasn't pish
    He closes players down after they've passed the ball, I must see it differently.

@hibs.net private member
    First half particularly, Mallan was the only midfielder to rush opposition players. The rest of our midfield watched from a distance allowing Celtc to get into our final third before closing. Looked to be planned so Ross was at fault there but it did work as Celtc couldn't finish any of the good shooting opportunities we gifted them. Mackie didn't get the memo as he pressed and harried the whole game breaking up countless attacks and also being a threat too.

Nisbet getting back in the goals the biggest positive for me.

You start to worry for him slightly after the pen miss but then one chance BANG goal. What a bonus having a striker like that.

The goalie also had a fine game looked full of confidence after his performance with the national team.

In terms of negatives - for me we were on top having a great spell in the game around the 70 minute mark. There were a few occasions on the break Boyle sticks in my mind where we were on the break and pretty much stood on the ball and tried to retain possession. OK after long periods without the ball - but I really felt at that stage we had it in us to go for a third that would have killed it. They looked totally out of ideas and we gave them encouragement slightly to get back it, however ludicrous the pen award may have been.

Positives to take but Scratching my head at how we managed to throw that away and I am sure JR will be looking at all of that.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Craig75 View Post

I’d take Gallagher as a back up to Hanlon and Porteous. I don’t think he’s a better player though.

Allan Campbell would be a great addition, but I’m pretty sure we’ve missed the boat there.