hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or people take a chill pill and not lose their minds over a derby?
    I suspect most of our players have this mentality going into derbies too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I noticed on the hearts documentary that Scott Wilson saying "As long as we beat Hibs 3 or 4 times a season the fans dont care were we come in the league" Mind blowing stuff. And before anyone says it I know we have fans like that too....but its no way to build a successful team. Thats the way to the poor hoose.
    They beat us 3 times last season if you include the semi and look where they have ended up. If youd offered hearts fans to trade 2 of those hearts wins for hibs wins but they stayed up I wonder what they would take?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    Would you consider finishing 4th at the end of the season as a successful campaign?
    100%

Aberdeen are out spending us (again) (as are Hearts) so 4th would be excellent imo. And also get us a European slot, which is nice

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I think the players have a laugh before the game and say let’s lose today and piss our selves at the reaction on Hibs Net this evening
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 20-11-2020 at 11:04 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Possibly. But I’m not a player. Neither are you.

I think more than anything players **** themselves or fluff their lines. I don’t think it’s particularly a mentality problem.

The 3-1 loss was a tactical **** up imo, time and time again Hearts got joy down our wings where they had overlaps and we didn’t deal with it. Add to that players that were 6-8/10 week in week out had some stinkers.

They were saved by Craig Gordon in the semi.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    When we have finished 4th, we have then had to replace quite a few players who got us into that position.

Of course we then have not been able to replicate that form quick enough for some folk, so its get the manager out, get him gone and lets replace him with someone who's never actually managed to get a side 4th place in their puff.

Here's a radical thought, maybe we could try and give the man who got us that 4th place and what most of us would call a successful season more time. Maybe just maybe, that guy knows what it takes to get us there, and giving him a bad season might be worth it in the long run, rather than getting another manager in who rips the previous managers team up to build his own.

Because when the new guy comes in, any bad result he has is excused because he's new, he's playing with someone else's players, and there's no guarantee he's any good anyway, at least the guy who did manage some sort of success with us, does have some idea how to do it, what's stopping him doing it again?

We seem to have this arrogance about some of our support, who think we should guarantee 4th place at worst, how does changing the manager every couple of seasons help in achieving that?
    For Lennon this argument could be made. Hughes definitely not. He was a poor manager. The last 3 months of his 4th place season was dreadful. He started the next one even worse.

Lennon had a huge budget and signed poorly. You have to pay for mistakes like that.

I don't consider a season a success if we qualify for Europe but have a losing record against Hearts. For example, I preferred season 12-13 (finished 7th but were unbeaten against them) to 09-10 (finished 4th but didn't win a derby).
    Wow....you would consider 3 draws against them a success but qualification for Europe a failure?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Possibly. But I’m not a player. Neither are you.

I think more than anything players **** themselves or fluff their lines. I don’t think it’s particularly a mentality problem.

The 3-1 loss was a tactical **** up imo, time and time again Hearts got joy down our wings where they had overlaps and we didn’t deal with it. Add to that players that were 6-8/10 week in week out had some stinkers.

They were saved by Craig Gordon in the semi.
    Surely ****ting yourself is a mentality problem? Unless of course joy mean literally ****ting themselves which would be a whole different problem

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Surely ****ting yourself is a mentality problem? Unless of course joy mean literally ****ting themselves which would be a whole different problem
    Not before the game, I don't think that our players go onto the pitch in a lesser state of readiness mentally. I just think they get more affected by the fans/atmosphere/missing chances etc.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Wow....you would consider 3 draws against them a success but qualification for Europe a failure?
    I wouldn't consider either season that successful, but I did enjoy the latter more.

I wouldn't consider either season that successful, but I did enjoy the latter more.
    It's all about opinions I suppose but I reckon qualifying for Europe would constitute a success.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    When we have finished 4th, we have then had to replace quite a few players who got us into that position.

Of course we then have not been able to replicate that form quick enough for some folk, so its get the manager out, get him gone and lets replace him with someone who's never actually managed to get a side 4th place in their puff.

Here's a radical thought, maybe we could try and give the man who got us that 4th place and what most of us would call a successful season more time. Maybe just maybe, that guy knows what it takes to get us there, and giving him a bad season might be worth it in the long run, rather than getting another manager in who rips the previous managers team up to build his own.

Because when the new guy comes in, any bad result he has is excused because he's new, he's playing with someone else's players, and there's no guarantee he's any good anyway, at least the guy who did manage some sort of success with us, does have some idea how to do it, what's stopping him doing it again?

We seem to have this arrogance about some of our support, who think we should guarantee 4th place at worst, how does changing the manager every couple of seasons help in achieving that?
    You make a lot of good points, but there’s also a bit of hypocriticallity (if that’s a word) as you’ve been one of the more vocal critics of Collins over the years. He won us a cup and had to replace the golden generation team.

I don’t mean that as an excuse for a snide dig btw as I’ve defended Collins a lot while also been critical of Lennon. I think a big factor, conscious or not, is about whether we like the manager or not in terms of waiting out the sticky period for the long term good.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 20-11-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    You make a lot of good points, but there’s also a bit of hypocriticallity (if that’s a word) as you’ve been one of the more vocal critics of Collins over the years. He won us a cup and had to replace the golden generation team.

I don’t mean that as an excuse for a snide dog btw as I’ve defended Collins a lot while also been critical of Lennon. I think a big factor, conscious or not, is about whether we like the manager or not in terms of waiting out the sticky period for the long term good.
    Hypocrisy is the word you are looking for I think.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Hypocrisy is the word you are looking for I think.
    That’s the one, a senile moment for me there 🙈

First Team Regular
    Maybe I’m in a minority of one, but I’d rather beat Hearts on a regular basis than qualify for Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    Maybe I’m in a minority of one, but I’d rather beat Hearts on a regular basis than qualify for Europe.
    Should be achieving both, they are a basket case.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Agreed. Let's not go down same route as Fartz fans and the club itself, where their sole purpose and mentality in life is to beat the "wee team", at all costs.

It's sad and shows very little aspirations.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

If Hearts lose the final and manage to stay down while we qualify for Europe then I’ll accept that as a good season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    If Hearts lose the final and manage to stay down while we qualify for Europe then I’ll accept that as a good season.

😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Why would how Hearts perform in any way effect how you view our own season? Especially when they are in a different league. European qualification will always count as a good season for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Why would how Hearts perform in any way effect how you view our own season? Especially when they are in a different league. European qualification will always count as a good season for me.
    Sorry for the positive theme but let's just concentrate on us, we've lost 4 games all season, let's get behind the players and management, we are lucky to have Jack Ross and his team

Finishing above Herts.

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    That’s the one, a senile moment for me there 🙈
    Get the odd moment of seniliation myself these days
    More and more I have CRAFT moments when walking into a room and not knowing why.
    Can't Remember A Fecking Thing

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    For Lennon this argument could be made. Hughes definitely not. He was a poor manager. The last 3 months of his 4th place season was dreadful. He started the next one even worse.

Lennon had a huge budget and signed poorly. You have to pay for mistakes like that.
    I suppose Hughes the poor manager just got lucky when taking us to Europe and winning the Scottish cup with Caley.

I suppose Hughes the poor manager just got lucky when taking us to Europe and winning the Scottish cup with Caley.
    I guess its also a coincidence every side he has ever managed has been relegated within 3/4 years of him joining? He leaves clubs in a dreadful mess.

He was extremely lucky with us, yes. We started very well, then utterly fell to bits. From his last 23 league games, we won 4. Sorry but if that isn't getting someone the sack, what is?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I guess its also a coincidence every side he has ever managed has been relegated within 3/4 years of him joining? He leaves clubs in a dreadful mess.

He was extremely lucky with us, yes. We started very well, then utterly fell to bits. From his last 23 league games, we won 4. Sorry but if that isn't getting someone the sack, what is?

The idea of keeping a hold of a manager who was overseeing such a mess is ridiculous. Much the same as NL needed to be punted at the time he was. We were on a shorter but even worse run than John Hughes was if my memory is correct, fell out with plenty and he was making decisions that were almost begging to be sacked.

Both them needed to be binned when they were regardless of where they managed to finish with us the previous season. We were sleepwalking into relegation battles with both of them and something needed to change.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 21-11-2020 at 01:12 PM.