hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Aberdeen 06112020)

Two schoolboy errors and the game was pretty much over at Pittodrie after just thirteen minutes. Hibs huffed and puffed but not only did they fail to blow Aberdeen’s house down, they didn’t even get down the garden path.

After the disappointment of last weeks Hampden outcome, Hibs had a chance to show they merit the support they get as beating Aberdeen would lift them up to second in the table. With Kyle Magennis injured, Jamie Murphy was given a starting berth on the left side of midfield. His place on the bench went to Stephen McGinn.

Interestingly, I thought Hibs started brightly but after just five minutes they conceded a terrible goal. Trying to play their way out of a high press from deep in the left back position, Murphy dallied in effecting a clearance and was closed down by Ryan Hedges. The Aberdeen man found Lewis Ferguson unmarked on the edge of the box, allowing him the time to slide a ball in behind. Scott Wright got his shot away, under no pressure whatsoever and Marciano didn’t have a hope in hell of saving it.

Hibs tried to settle, in the sure knowledge that Aberdeen are masters at defending a lead. Seven minutes after the opener a ludicrous attempt at a pass saw Porteous hammer the ball against the back of Ferguson, the ball rebounding towards the Hibs goal. All of the other defenders were wrong footed, and Sam Cosgrove strolled into the box and provided an exquisite finish with the outside of his right foot. Once again, Marciano was totally exposed and had no chance to make a save.

Two goals down and not even fifteen minutes on the clock and that allowed a frankly turgid Aberdeen to just shut up shop. Struggling in central midfield, where Lewis Ferguson ruled the roost, Hibs were getting little or nothing from the four attacking players. Boyle didn’t take his man on once; Murphy the same whilst Nisbet and Doidge ran around a lot without ever actually threatening the Aberdeen goal.

Around the half hour mark, Murphy did have a couple of half chances, but Joe Lewis was untroubled – a situation that persisted throughout the remainder of the game. Fouls littered the play, with both sides guilty of committing them and that played right into the Derek McInnes game plan. They really are dreadful to watch and on the night weren’t really any better than a poor Hibs side. We gifted them two goals and I hoped a half time talking to might have us come out and attack them with pace. I was to be disappointed as Hibs picked up where they had left off.

In the opening minute of the second half, Hibs defenders were posted missing when the ball reached McLennan on the left hand side of the Hibs box. Thankfully, the youngster sent his effort high and wide of Marciano’s goal.

In the midfield area, Newell and Gogic continued to be dominated and the effect of that was that our strikers were getting little or no service. On the hour mark, Mallan replaced the ineffective Joe Newell but the pattern of play was largely unaffected. In a game littered with free kicks, Josh Doig picked up a deserved yellow and he was followed into the book around five minutes later when McGinn clattered an opponent. Referee Euan Anderson seemed to have forgotten the persistent fouling rule as he let Ferguson and Hedges away with murder at times.

When Drey Wright replaced Jamie Murphy, I hoped for a fresh injection of pace – it never arrived. A corner to Hibs was delivered by Mallan and Porteous connected but steered the ball wide. Jamie Gullan then entered the fray in replacing Nisbet but I’m pretty sure he didn’t even get a touch in the first five minutes after arriving.

With the clock ticking down, Hibs had a very valid claim for a penalty waved aside by Euan Anderson. Boyle was deep in the box and lost his footing, but he still had the ball at his feet and as he tried to stand up, he was blatantly pushed in the back by Kennedy. It was a penalty kick all day long, but Euan Anderson wasn’t interested. Soon after. A long high ball picked out Boyle just outside the eighteen yard box and as he moved to control the pass he was clearly bundled over, Kennedy again the culprit. Once again, Euan Anderson ignored the challenge. To me, it looked as though the foul prevented Boyle from having a clear goal scoring opportunity, but Kennedy was exempted again from any caution.

Porteous then almost repeated his costly error by being woefully short with a pass back. Hedges nipped in and Rocky forced him wide, but the Aberdeen man was able to push the ball to a teammate but thankfully, Porteous redeemed himself by getting back to take the sting out of a shot at goal.

At the death, Hibs had a couple of half chances. Gullan made room on the left and drilled the ball low into the box where Lewis pushed the effort away. The ball rolled towards Boyle around eight yards out but as he hit it, Taylor made a fantastic block.

The only consolation tonight is that I didn’t have to make the usual drive home after a loss at Pittodrie.

The players

Marciano – Rocky could be forgiven for wondering what the hell his defensive colleagues were doing as he had no protection and no chance to save either goal.

McGinn – On a night when selecting a man of the match was close to impossible, I’ve plumped for Paul in remembering what my brother once said to me about him. He said that unless forced to do otherwise, Paul always tries to play a forward pass rather than just hoofing it. Tonight, Paul tried those passes but more often than not the recipient went on to lose possession.

Porteous – When a simple pass would have meant retaining possession, Ryan tried the worldy and seemed to have missed the fact that Ferguson was in direct line of the flight of the ball. A schoolboy error in my book.

Hanlon – I am always quick to highlight how impressed I am with Paul’s reading of the game but it looked to me as though he totally misread the path of the ball at the first goal and as a result was left covering a pass that was never made.

Doig – Very little was seen of Josh in an attacking sense which was disappointing as I like many, feel that is the strongest part of his game.

Boyle – Once again Martin was anonymous for significant spells in the game. If I recall correctly, there were only a couple of occasions when he ran at the Dons defence. I guess he’s a marked man now though and after tonight he will certainly go home marked. The lack of protection from Euan Anderson was scandalous.

Gogic – Probably his poorest performance for us yet as he struggled to break up the Aberdeen play.

Newell – I’ve read that Joe’s great when the game is going our way and if that is true it might explain why he was posted missing tonight.

Murphy – Poor, poor decision not to play the ball away quickly, cost us their first goal. After that, his contribution was pretty poor overall.

Nisbet – Starved of anything to work on, Kev was left running around a lot with nothing to show for the effort.

Doidge – I’ve thought for a couple of games now that the big man seems out of sorts. I still think that.

Mallan – Got half an hour and to his credit he did try to get us on the front foot, but his efforts were wasted.

Wright – Took over the Murphy role, in that he was in that position but didn’t really achieve anything of note.

Gullan – Jamie was on the park for a good few minutes before he even got a touch. Unlike Boyle, Murphy and Wright he actually did drop his shoulder on one occasion and escaped his marker.

Jack Ross – I heard his post match interview and am delighted that he’s going to give his players hell for what was a timid and tepid performance.

Euan Anderson – Someone needs to take him aside and explain that an attacker clearly fouled in the area should be rewarded with the award of a penalty kick. Also, quite how Aberdeen got through that match without any of their players getting booked is just totally baffling. The stats show they committed more than twice the number of fouls that Hibs accrued.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Marciano - Can’t fault his game tonight other than the odd bit of poor distribution.

McGinn - Tried the forward passes and at least attempted to get forward to some degree. Can’t recall Aberdeen troubling us down his side.

Porteous - I’ve no idea who he thinks he is on the ball. Start of the season he was immense and defended and played like he should. Lately his passing and decision making has been very very poor and he’s been fortunate that he’s not been caught out. Today’s was awful, recieves a pass with room to move into yet he then tries a reverse diagonal pass over to the left when Ferguson is right next to him.

Hanlon - Don’t think he was troubled throughout or done much wrong.

Doig - If the best part of his game is his attacking play then that’s concerning as I’ve yet to see it. He gets up and down the line but never to the point he beats his man or puts in a decent cross. That said I thought he was better defensively tonight.

Boyle - Far far to easy to mark him out of a game. He’s one of our biggest players he needs to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen. Not for the first time this season he was non existent and I forgot he was on the pitch.

Gogic - Done his normal role and had the difficult task of picking up Wright and Hedges who played behind Cosgrove aswell as McCrorie and Ferguson. He had a lot to do and a lot of ground to cover so it’s no wonder he fouls so often. Also as he’s just part of a 2 there’s a expectancy for him to create or move the ball well which he’s just not great at.

Newell - Needs to impose himself far more on these sort of games. Far too many passes were back to the defenders.

Murphy - Shocking for the first goal and done nothing after.

Nisbet - Poor tonight from him and his usual standards. Starved of service but even the routine balls to his feet or chest weren’t sticking

Doidge - Genuinley, can’t remember him touching the ball.

The game was finished after 12 minutes, Aberdeen of all teams are happy to sit back and be difficult to break down once they’re infront and that was evident tonight. Aberdeen in fairness pressed very well throughout and forced us back. When we tried to press them they were very comfortable on the ball and retained possession unlike us.

Ross’ game plan was ruined by individual errors after 12 minutes and our options from the bench are poor and not likely to swing it in our favour. Only thing I would have been tempted to do was move to 352 in the second half and get Wright on LWB for Doig with Murphy playing central.

As a team we need to move the ball far quicker and play in the opposition half. All of our possession was in our defence, into Newell or Gogic then back to the defence before a long ball. As a team we need to be braver and take the ball in tight situations in the final 3rd, retain the ball and really get them moving. That was so so easy for them to defend and the reason we never had a single shot (Gullans in the second half was a cross Imo).

Im really unsure what our best formation and balance is to get the best players in the team when everyone is fit. I’d be temoted to try a 433 with Magennis in for Doidge.

Doig for me was motm.

First Team Breakthrough
    Boyle should be dropped. He’s been utterly honking for weeks.

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    We have little in the midfield
    2 guys out wide and both Gogic and Newell playing deep which is leaving a huge hole in the middle of the park
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    A very accurate assessment again JB.

On Jack Ross I would say 2 things:

1. Playing 2 wingers and 2 up front away at Aberdeen is complete lunacy. Aberdeen's strength is in midfield and with Murphy and Boyle being ineffective and starved of the ball, that took 4 Hibs players out of the game. Did our Manager not learn any lessons from the fixture against them at Easter Road, where our tactics and performance was just as bad?

2. Having ranted above, I have to say I was reassured by the Manager's after match press conference. He was very honest and effectively admitted he got it wrong as well as the players being poor.

With the international break there is time for him to reflect and hopefully put things right after 2 consecutive, very harsh lessons.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 07-11-2020 at 01:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHarpy76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boyle should be dropped. He’s been utterly honking for weeks.
    Dropped for who though, that's the problem?

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    Dropped for who though, that's the problem?
    That same point could be applied to most of the players deemed first pick. Our strength in depth just doesn’t exist and going with a much smaller squad is starting to look a risky strategy.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Hibs possession 61%, fouls committed 11.
    Aberdeen possession 39%, fouls committed 23.

Another dismal showing from Hibs up against a typically cynical, but effective Aberdeen side. We lack the necessary class in midfield. Gogic and Newell aren’t good enough to control games against better sides. Hopefully Magennis starts to have an impact soon, because we are lacking.

We have to move back to 352. Gogic was seen at his best then.

First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    It’s very simple. We miss Scotty Allan so much. He can be quiet in games but we miss that creative spark

Not in a position to comment much having only seen the minimal highlights on BBC and Hibs TV but having read about our horrendous defending and gifting them two early goals I would have to say that I was surprised by how much work the Sheep had still to do for both goals. We gifted them possession in a dangerous area both times yes, but tbh they worked and took their goals well. Boot on the other foot, I'd have been absolutely delighted if Hibs had taken advantage of two errors like that to score in such manner.
    Some comments about players slipping a lot. Certainly seemed the case for their first goal. Surface? Wrong studs?
    Lastly, has Boyle now gone in the Scottish referees' player guide as someone to watch for going down to easily? I have been very critical in recent weeks of all the diving going on, including by our own, but I can't see how that push on Boyle wasn't given. Not seen the other incident referenced by JR but if it was as obvious a free kick as he says, with Boyle through on goal just outside the box and denied a scoring opportunity, that's further evidence that Boyle has now got himself a reputation for diving.

Boyle needs dropped.

He's not trying a leg.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I thought Doig was our best player by a country mile. He was one of the very few who was exempt from criticism imo.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Boyle needs dropped.

He's not trying a leg.
    In truth, he's been very poor since he signed his new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Hibs possession 61%, fouls committed 11.
    Aberdeen possession 39%, fouls committed 23.

Another dismal showing from Hibs up against a typically cynical, but effective Aberdeen side. We lack the necessary class in midfield. Gogic and Newell aren’t good enough to control games against better sides. Hopefully Magennis starts to have an impact soon, because we are lacking.
    We need to pragmatic at times and set the midfield IP to go toe to toe with the likes of the Aberdeen midfield in this league. Hopefully Gogic and Magennis can sit in their as part of a 3 with Newell/Allan/Mallan sitting behind the forward line.

We don't really have a forward who can play one up eother.

@hibs.net private member
    The first XI pretty much picks itself, very little competition for places, the major downside of carrying a small squad.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Not in a position to comment much having only seen the minimal highlights on BBC and Hibs TV but having read about our horrendous defending and gifting them two early goals I would have to say that I was surprised by how much work the Sheep had still to do for both goals. We gifted them possession in a dangerous area both times yes, but tbh they worked and took their goals well. Boot on the other foot, I'd have been absolutely delighted if Hibs had taken advantage of two errors like that to score in such manner.
    Some comments about players slipping a lot. Certainly seemed the case for their first goal. Surface? Wrong studs?
    Lastly, has Boyle now gone in the Scottish referees' player guide as someone to watch for going down to easily? I have been very critical in recent weeks of all the diving going on, including by our own, but I can't see how that push on Boyle wasn't given. Not seen the other incident referenced by JR but if it was as obvious a free kick as he says, with Boyle through on goal just outside the box and denied a scoring opportunity, that's further evidence that Boyle has now got himself a reputation for diving.
    2 absolutely appalling decisions especially the free kick and possible red card. Another appalling ref who doesn't understand the game. A minute after the Boyle free Kick Nisbet wins the ball and he gives Aberdeen a foul.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    451 or 352 and our midfield shouldn’t get dominated, like last night.
    Replacing Newall with Mallan was the wrong decision .
    Aberdeen once they get their noses in front, are very good at killing the game. And we didn’t have the creativity to get back in the game.
    Tbh, we could have still been playing the now and wouldn’t have scored.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    451 or 352 and our midfield shouldn’t get dominated, like last night.
    Replacing Newall with Mallan was the wrong decision .
    Aberdeen once they get their noses in front, are very good at killing the game. And we didn’t have the creativity to get back in the game.
    Tbh, we could have still been playing the now and wouldn’t have scored.
    Agree about the sub would have taken Murphy off for Mallan and went to 352 to at least see how it went with 3 in the middle.

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    In truth, he's been very poor since he signed his new contract.
    Yep.