hibs.net Messageboard

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said it elsewhere - Stevie Mallan gets absolutely slaughtered for a lot less.
    Imagine that performance without the assist, then you have Mallan. Allan is worth the bad games.

2. Log in to remove the advert

There’s something about Newell that makes me think he’s going to be the first name on the team sheet this season. Always composed, neat and tidy with a good set piece delivery on him. Works hard too.
    Yep, fully agree. He's really growing on me, I think his composure is his best asset, especially in our midfield where I think we've lacked considerably in that department for a few years now.

If he keeps putting in good performances then we'll be talking about contract extensions come January so we don't lose him, here's hoping anyway.

Left by mutual consent!
    Defensively we were good. Porto was terrific.

Newell and Gogic good in centre mid.

Alan was dreadful.

Wright and Nisbet were quiet.

Boyle was difference.

Marciano distribution awful.

Overall good 3 points but huge improvement required if we are going ti challlenge for European place

On that performance there’s no chance we’ll get a place in the Europe League.

Because we’ll be in the Champions League.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Meanwhile over on Kickback they don’t care about Scottish football and hope it goes up in flames and it’s their ball and they’re taking it home because 5-1 big team and they’re not going to watch...but they really wanted Killie to win and are gutted.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Kilmarnock are always a hard team to play but for me they dominated possession far too much, despite all their possession we stayed solid and I can’t remember them creating a chance or Marciano having to pull off many saves.

Couple of points for me;

Why do we have centre mids that can only do one thing or the other? Killie played with Dicker and Tshibola in there today and both were able to compete and play.

Gogic was very good imo and does small things that probably go unnoticed with a lot of people but appreciated by team mates. Tackles, headers, interceptions and covering his team mates was all there to see today and I think he will be a very good bit of business.

Newell showed signs he can play in there and put in some really good tackles and blocks, I would like to see him dictate the play a lot more though as he has the ability.

Allan was incredibly frustrating. The assist aside which was brilliant he was very poor and gave away possession countless times with little/no pressure. He also seemed to want an absolute age to pick his pass.

Hanlon and Porteous were brilliant for me today and never gave them a sniff. Both dominated everything in the air and defensively. Their team mates should be very thankful.

Boyle, well where would we be without him? I actually thought he was really quiet today but scored two goals so I’m not complaining.

Doig got taught a massive lesson off Burke who is a very good winger. On the ball he needs to be a lot more positive and drive forward, he was getting screamed at for being so deep and just giving it back to Hanlon. Think his confidence took a knock early doors. I’d still start him next week but if he continues with performances like that I think he should be loaned out.

Jack Ross deserves credit for changing from a 352 - 433 - 442. All done at the right stages and helped us massively.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post
    Defensively we were good. Porto was terrific.

Newell and Gogic good in centre mid.

Alan was dreadful.

Wright and Nisbet were quiet.

Boyle was difference.

Marciano distribution awful.

Overall good 3 points but huge improvement required if we are going ti challlenge for European place

Agree with all, but Newell needed to get closer to their midfield, including Wright and Allan, gave them too much time on the ball.
    Last edited by gaz1875; 01-08-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Four in a Row:

2017/18 Partick 3-1
    2018/19 Motherwell 3-0
    2019/20 St Mirren 1-0
    2020/21 Kilmarnock 2-1

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    jack ross just said ryan had rolled over on his ankle before HT

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Imagine that performance without the assist, then you have Mallan. Allan is worth the bad games.
    Agree 100%. Allan can be poor for half an hour then beat a man and lay it on a plate for someone to score or even bag one himself. Mallan in his first season was capable of striking a ball from distance after working a couple yards of space but he's not been doing it for the last year other than the derby game.

They're both luxury players who have to do something to justify their position and while Allan wasn't excellent by any stretch of the imagination he set up the winner and that's why we put him out on the park every week. Although admittedly an improvement is required on his showing after the assist.

Simply untrue.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Simply untrue.
    Best way to beat the trolls is to ignore them.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Best way to beat the trolls is to ignore them.
    ah yeah, because you don't like my opinion it's trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Simply untrue.
    I dunno. I don't remember Mallan beating a man and giving an assist on one of his bad days like Allan did today.

Hibs 2 - 1 Kilmarnock (Boyle x2) Full Time

Mallan gets as many assists as Allan. And more goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

I don’t think he does either, but he gives the ball away less.

FWIW I’d play one or other of them every week, and I’m happy to turn a blind eye to weaknesses in their game in favour of seeing the positives - in today’s case a match winning assist. That’s what they bring that other players being much less.

Allan still shading it for me but Mallan is a good player, a handy deputy and not someone that can play elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Does he? Allan has a clearly better G/A to minutes played.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Does he? Allan has a clearly better G/A to minutes played.
    At the moment the is a luxury we can't afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Can we afford Nisbit? He was equally as anonymous but got an assist.

Left by mutual consent!
    His luxury set up a goal that contributed to winning the game though. Who would you replace him with? Halberg and hope he produces for the first time ever?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Kilmarnock are always a hard team to play but for me they dominated possession far too much, despite all their possession we stayed solid and I can’t remember them creating a chance or Marciano having to pull off many saves.

Couple of points for me;

Why do we have centre mids that can only do one thing or the other? Killie played with Dicker and Tshibola in there today and both were able to compete and play.

Gogic was very good imo and does small things that probably go unnoticed with a lot of people but appreciated by team mates. Tackles, headers, interceptions and covering his team mates was all there to see today and I think he will be a very good bit of business.

Newell showed signs he can play in there and put in some really good tackles and blocks, I would like to see him dictate the play a lot more though as he has the ability.

Allan was incredibly frustrating. The assist aside which was brilliant he was very poor and gave away possession countless times with little/no pressure. He also seemed to want an absolute age to pick his pass.

Hanlon and Porteous were brilliant for me today and never gave them a sniff. Both dominated everything in the air and defensively. Their team mates should be very thankful.

Boyle, well where would we be without him? I actually thought he was really quiet today but scored two goals so I’m not complaining.

Doig got taught a massive lesson off Burke who is a very good winger. On the ball he needs to be a lot more positive and drive forward, he was getting screamed at for being so deep and just giving it back to Hanlon. Think his confidence took a knock early doors. I’d still start him next week but if he continues with performances like that I think he should be loaned out.

Jack Ross deserves credit for changing from a 352 - 433 - 442. All done at the right stages and helped us massively.
    Had to read this twice to make sure I didn’t write it! Exactly how I saw the game, spot on

Can’t afford? That luxury provided the second goal which essentially put the game out of reach. It’s like complaining about strikers being poor and ‘only’ scoring. Allan is in the team to find assists, he’s played 1 assisted 1. Went off and then we seen the game out. It’s the first game of the season, we aren’t going to be firing on all cylinders, we won the game and but for a wonder strike would have kept a clean sheet.

Couple of points for me;

Agreed.

Midfield balance is still not right.

Gogic has to start - Newell brings calmness and touch of quality. Allan at times is playing with 10 players but his assists win games.

Felt we got stronger when subs came on.

I kind of wish we knew our best 11 though !

I do feel we need energy in the middle though and Gogic seemed to be doing a lot on his own at times.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright_Hibee View Post
    Tam McCourt usually does the subs boards. Where is he? Its some young lad now
    Is was Finlay Stark, he’s the Clubs admin manager

Doidge showed today in 20 mins what a great striker he is. Not fit, put himself about, involved in everything and got thr teacup the pitch.

Nesbit doesnt seem to have these attributes at this level yet but he will learn so much from Christian.

Porteous was immense. Imagine him fully fit!!

44% possession at home is not great.

@hibs.net private member

Couple of points for me;

A small point but power played today. Dicker was on the bench but didnt get on (not fully fit).

From what i have seen, dicker is a very good player, like a 6ft2 mcgeouch. I'd have liked to have him at hibs and he would have been ideal today when no one in our midfield seemed to be able to put their foot on the ball and keep possesion.

First Team Breakthrough
    First game of the season, Hibs win, match thread gets sidetracked by someone having a go at a player who wasn't even in the squad. How massively, massively tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    First game of the season, Hibs win, match thread gets sidetracked by someone having a go at a player who wasn't even in the squad. How massively, massively tedious.
    It actually got sidetracked by the person who used that player to insult one who did play.

Left by mutual consent! Lex7zero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Off the bar View Post
    FT

2-1 good result. Newell, Gogic and Boyle best of the bunch for me.
    Spot on mate re Newell Gogic and Boyle, I would probably add Porteous to that list. Not a great performance too many passengers re Nisbet and Wright (but sure they will come good) early doors yet and 3 points in the bag. Glory Glory.
    Would have liked to see old Tam on that bench too ( LD and Mathie get it fixed🤬)

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post

I kind of wish we knew our best 11 though !

I do feel we need energy in the middle though and Gogic seemed to be doing a lot on his own at times.
    Agree with your post but particularly these points. We need a Docherty type player in Allan's position. That would give goals and assists but also tackles, hassle and work rate. Ross was having to swap formation regularly as Killie were completely dominating the ball and maybe with a fit Doidge that won't happen as often as we may keep the ball better.

I like the blend of the 3 centre Halfs. McGinn is under rated imo. He doesn't make many mistakes and is pretty decent on the ball. Hanlon is also very good on the ball and then we have the aggressive presence of Porteous to give extra bite and passion. That looks a very good combination with Gogic in front helping out. Our biggest problem is retaining possession and allowing far too many balls into the box. Allan and Newell have to do more to try and help whoever plays LWB and RWB. I felt sorry for Doig at times as he had 2 players to try and mark or win the ball off.

As has been said the star of the team is Boyle. His injury may have been the biggest difference between Heck and Ross last season imo and we will miss him greatly if he goes and we can't get replacements to fill that huge void.