hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Adverts

I love the ads. Never thought of changing career before but now I'm thinking about starting my own delivery business with the support of Amazon

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you using the 'Lite' version?
    I don't know because I cant see the bottom of the page due to the ad banner. It's the one with the green header for mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    So is this site now subscription based if you don't want adds poping up everywhere?
    Appears so, quite a shame as it cheapens the feel of the site and will likely push people away.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I love the ads. Never thought of changing career before but now I'm thinking about starting my own delivery business with the support of Amazon
    😂😂😂😂

Ads aren't new. We have had them for well over a decade. They have been added to the mobile skin for the 1st time recently, given this is how many people will now access the site surely this isn't a shock?As has been said we are looking at feedback and trying to get the balance right.

I struggle to think of any sites or apps I regularly visit now that don't have adverts in one guise or another.

This isn't ads related as I don't get them as a PM but since there's talk about the site updates in general on this thread, I thought I would give my thoughts on the changes to mobile view which seems to have taken effect as of this morning. I posted on the technical help forum earlier on but I figured that this thread will get read a lot more than the other one. I almost exclusively use my phone to access this site and I'm not in favour at all of the layout of the mobile version that I now have access to. I understand from the reply I received on the technical help forum that there's an upgrade due soon so hopefully that will improve things overall but in the meantime, I'm not a fan of the layout I'm currently using and, to be honest, it will probably put me off coming on here as much as I usually do until the upgrades are done (some might say that's a plus point!

@hibs.net private member
    I’ve just ordered the worlds first bra free bra.

PM me if you want to buy it - will be going on eBay tomorrow but would prefer to sell to someone on here first.

@hibs.net private member
    Also claimed the free legal last will.

£5 to the first person that PMs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This isn't ads related as I don't get them as a PM but since there's talk about the site updates in general on this thread, I thought I would give my thoughts on the changes to mobile view which seems to have taken effect as of this morning. I posted on the technical help forum earlier on but I figured that this thread will get read a lot more than the other one. I almost exclusively use my phone to access this site and I'm not in favour at all of the layout of the mobile version that I now have access to. I understand from the reply I received on the technical help forum that there's an upgrade due soon so hopefully that will improve things overall but in the meantime, I'm not a fan of the layout I'm currently using and, to be honest, it will probably put me off coming on here as much as I usually do until the upgrades are done (some might say that's a plus point!
    Agree with this. The changes have made the site far less user friendly on mobile.

Hibs.net was a pleasure to read just a couple of weeks ago, but the new banner adds at the bottom of the page are just painful on a PC as i have to close these off every time i want to read a page or change a page. If you drop them, i may be inclined to become a more frequent visitor to the site and accordingly read the many other fantastic adverts on display.

Just started getting hammered with these ads can’t even use hibs.net on mobile anymore. Must get rid

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Must be the " new normal" 😒
    New normal sickens me across the board and now .net. FFS are you guys struggling that much?

How much does it cost to run hibs net over a year?

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColintonHibs View Post
    New normal sickens me across the board and now .net. FFS are you guys struggling that much?
    Not at all.

The adverts pay for all the admins

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    How much does it cost to run hibs net over a year?
    Not as much as they take in - the excess is given to Hibs. A wee annoying advert here and there but all the money goes to Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Not as much as they take in - the excess is given to Hibs. A wee annoying advert here and there but all the money goes to Hibs.
    How much do the annoying adverts bring in?

If you're referring to the mobile experience then the new experience is far from a wee annoying advert here or there. When I open a thread 75% of my screen is covered in adverts.

I also don't understand why adverts are being used in the first place to be honest. I would argue that ruining the site experience for most of its users is not worth any extra revenue, supporters give money to Hibs in a variety of other ways including season tickets, HSL, merchandise etc etc. and this site should be focussed on providing a place for fans to freely discuss Hibs on an easy to use platform.

If it was a massive amount of money for the club then it would maybe be a different story, but I highly doubt it is. I'd also just add that I suspect the running costs for a forum are tiny and likely don't justify any adverts at all considering there is a cost for PM's anyway, particularly not the amount and size of adverts currently in place.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    If you're referring to the mobile experience then the new experience is far from a wee annoying advert here or there. When I open a thread 75% of my screen is covered in adverts.

I also don't understand why adverts are being used in the first place to be honest. I would argue that ruining the site experience for most of its users is not worth any extra revenue, supporters give money to Hibs in a variety of other ways including season tickets, HSL, merchandise etc etc. and this site should be focussed on providing a place for fans to freely discuss Hibs on an easy to use platform.

If it was a massive amount of money for the club then it would maybe be a different story, but I highly doubt it is. I'd also just add that I suspect the running costs for a forum are tiny and likely don't justify any adverts at all considering there is a cost for PM's anyway, particularly not the amount and size of adverts currently in place.
    Regardless of what the site actually costs to run it has been a fantastically run site for years and still remains to be so. The admins give their time to moderate this site and keep on top of any problems it may have, they do a great job and are currently taking steps to further improve the experience and react to feedback. You can pay £10 and not have any issues with adverts and become a private member. If you don’t want to pay £10 or are unable to due to finances then fair enough, but you have to accept that you might be inconvenienced whilst the site develops.

If it was a massive amount of money for the club then it would maybe be a different story, but I highly doubt it is. I'd also just add that I suspect the running costs for a forum are tiny
    I think the site has donated 10k per year over the last 10 years or thereabouts.

As for running costs, it's not cheap. Or certainly wasn't when I was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Regardless of what the site actually costs to run it has been a fantastically run site for years and still remains to be so. The admins give their time to moderate this site and keep on top of any problems it may have, they do a great job and are currently taking steps to further improve the experience and react to feedback. You can pay £10 and not have any issues with adverts and become a private member. If you don’t want to pay £10 or are unable to due to finances then fair enough, but you have to accept that you might be inconvenienced whilst the site develops.
    Don't get me wrong mate I totally agree that admins do a great job on this site and the fact it's been so well run over the past is part of the reason I stick around. Not meaning to have a go at admins at all.

I'm also on the verge of become a PM just to get rid of the adverts, I just don't think that's how the site should function. I appreciate that admins have said previously they aren't trying to force people into PM but that is effectively what is happening.

I'm sure the vast majority of users of this site are not PMs and use mobile to view it, in which case I'm aware that the site experience has been significantly hampered for the majority of people in that case, which in turn is likely to push people away going forward and that's bad for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I think the site has donated 10k per year over the last 10 years or thereabouts.

As for running costs, it's not cheap. Or certainly wasn't when I was involved.
    Fair enough, I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Agree with this. The changes have made the site far less user friendly on mobile.
    I might be wrong but it looks like you now need to use the desktop version to be able to use the multi quote function. I can't see this option anywhere on the mobile version I've had to use since yesterday.

Rest assured we are working on things. We do realise it's not ideal at the moment but we have been trying a few different things.

As for the money we donate to Hibs, it depends what you call a massive amount. I'll try and find a more up to date figure but our £11000 donation to youth development last year took the total we have handed to Hibs in the form of donations, sponsorships etc to over £98000. And that's all down to the members here .
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’ve always used the desktop version on my mobile phone simply because I find it more pleasing on the eye and It’s pretty much the only version I’ve used so anything other than that never feels like reading Hibs.net!
    Have not seen any ads in the period of this thread.

@hibs.net private member
    It’s the mobile I use and I get an advert at the top, the bottom and one after the first post I think.

Also the “remember where I was” function doesn’t work as well anymore.

It’s a bit annoying but that’s all.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Make the £10 compulsory if you want to be able to post something instead of just viewing.

More money to Hibs, no ads and possibly less nonsense!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I might be wrong but it looks like you now need to use the desktop version to be able to use the multi quote function. I can't see this option anywhere on the mobile version I've had to use since yesterday.
    I'm not sure about the other mobile version you were using but you're right that the one you're likely on now doesn't.

I just quote someone then copy the text then paste it above the second person I quote.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I'm not sure about the other mobile version you were using but you're right that the one you're likely on now doesn't.

I just quote someone then copy the text then paste it above the second person I quote.
    I’ve never been able to multi quote using the mobile site.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    There was another mobile version which had been left as an option by mistake. We have now removed it as it wasn't meant to be there.

Apologies to SDG but it was an old skin which had been missed at the last update.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    There was 2 mobile versions. I think the majority of people were using the one that's still here and are still on that. SDG was using the other one it seems and is now on this one which doesn't have, and never has, the multipost function as a button.

But it works with some copy paste.
    Mon the Hibs.