hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

30th Anniversary of The FAILED Mercer Takeover

In a few a weeks that will be 30 years since his attempt to end us.Look at both clubs today?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...earts-11866974
    Last edited by Waxy; 23-05-2020 at 09:56 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Jambos should be surprised and delighted if any Hibs fan feels sympathy for their current plight.

No lectures from them on what it takes to save the club you love, thanks.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    30years now?! Wow

2 league cups and a Scottish cup later...

Ron should put in a cheeky bid

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    His takeover offer document, financially backed by BOS, laid out how Edinburgh only needed one top flight team and here they are on the verge of proving him right 30 years later.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His takeover offer document, financially backed by BOS, laid out how Edinburgh only needed one top flight team and here they are on the verge of proving him right 30 years later.

👍😂

One City, One Club!

Bye Bye, Jam Tarts.

Testimonial Due
    Only one team in Embra and they play in the green.

The whole thing still feels sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    The whole thing still feels sickening.
    Product of it's time.

Tory wide boy running a club already heavily in debt gets similarly minded people to use someone else's money to underwrite a takeover and share the profits from that heist.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Funny how history repeats itself, a seemingly successful business person who took over a club and then didn’t realise the implications of their actions or strength of feeling and ultimately, what they were getting themselves into. Also the prospect once again of very severe hardship for one of Edinburgh’s top clubs although in today’s particular case, the big difference is I couldn’t give a flying one ! Mercer passed away early through a terminal illness, usually something to feel sorry about but I’ve got to say I’ve never once felt even a tinge of sympathy for a man who decided he wanted to kill off an Edinburgh institution and my club - that for me truly is karma !

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Funny how history repeats itself, a seemingly successful business person who took over a club and then didn’t realise the implications of their actions or strength of feeling and ultimately, what they were getting themselves into. Also the prospect once again of very severe hardship for one of Edinburgh’s top clubs although in today’s particular case, the big difference is I couldn’t give a flying one ! Mercer passed away early through a terminal illness, usually something to feel sorry about but I’ve got to say I’ve never once felt even a tinge of sympathy for a man who decided he wanted to kill off an Edinburgh institution and my club - that for me truly is karma !

Great minds think alike

Sir Matt Busby

Still loathe the man 30 years on. One and only time I saw my old man in tears was at the rally. He did that.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The front page picture of the fans celebrating with the headline hib hib hooray was taken outside the hibs club. The two young boys sitting on the wall to the side of them were me and my mate.

United we stand here....

As a 4 year old, I remember clearly being on the 25 LRT to Leith and approaching the cowshed on the historic Saturday rally asking my dad why there wasn’t a game, failing to understand why we were there.

The stories I hear from supporters in the middle of it all to this day and the ferocity of how they went to task to save Hibernian still fascinates me.
    Last edited by Power; 23-05-2020 at 08:10 PM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Suggestion: OP/ Admins can we change the title to include “FAILED” in BOLD CAPITALS please?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I was driving past the odeon when I heard it I burst into tears l thought we were finished

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Suggestion: OP/ Admins can we change the title to include “FAILED” in BOLD CAPITALS please?
    I cant change the title for some reason.
    Happy for an admin to do it if they want to.
    Last edited by Waxy; 24-05-2020 at 07:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs probably would have started again in the lower leagues, who knows maybe a smaller fan base? Probably playing somewhere else in Edinburgh? Mercer would have had the rights to hibernian as a name, maybe we would have went back to the name hibernians, one thing is for sure we wouldn't have completely abandoned the club. Hibs would have re started.

Testimonial Due
    I was working for a UK stockbroker in their Edinburgh office at the time. The investment team invited me to the Scottish Enterprise awards dinner. Tom Farmer was there. As the night went on and I got more and more drunk, I plucked up the courage to speak to him. "Mr Farmer is there anything you can do to save Hibs?" I asked. He answered "Don't worry son I am on to it". I got absolutely bluttered that night.
    I really do hope the thieves die.

I was living in Leith when I heard the news on the car radio. Got home parked the car and walked road to the old main stand. There was a meeting going on inside, press and a large crowd of fans outside. We where angry, had been on the radio that we where finished and we would not see our team play again. Feelings where running high as you can imagine.
    We where all invited round to the Hibs Club where there was a hastily planned meeting. There Hands off Hibs was born and the fight began. I done my small bit by handing out leaflets at work and the pubs.
    I will never forget what that man tried to do to our club, and will always be grateful to Tom Farmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I cant change the title for some reason.
    Happy for an admin to do it if they want to.
    Cheers.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

I was working for the DSS on Commercial street when the news spread. Left early to go straight to the stadium for news. My heart sank. I’d lost my father earlier in the year and as someone that fell in love with football late (attended first match at 17) it hadn’t hit me just how much Hibs were a big part of who I am so I was quite taken aback when it felt kind of similar to losing my dad. Brian (RIP) who used to post on here worked there and set about a fund to buy shared and organise. Awful times. Over the years I’ve hardened my stance over the Jambos. Whilst there is a sprinkling of decent ones the majority would dance on our graves - I’m not really big on an eye for an eye (makes the world blind) but there’s a decent case for an exception....

Blog Entries
    Product of it's time.

Tory wide boy running a club already heavily in debt gets similarly minded people to use someone else's money to underwrite a takeover and share the profits from that heist.

Sums it up really. The thing that continues to p me off about the whole debacle was the spin that this was to make one strong Edinburgh club capable of challenging the OF. It was asset stripping, pure & simple. David (Spotty) Rowland who financed the bid & was later appointed Tory party Treasurer, incredibly, he was so toxic he had to forego the job, wouldn't know a football from a sausage roll! While I agree in principle about the Hearts' current plight we should remember the decent Jambos who signed the petition, came to ER & in John Robertson's case, attended the rally at the Usher Hall.

I worked at Sunblest bakery just roon the corner at Lochend, me and another Hibie fae work went straight roon tae ER and met a guy fae the telly,he then interviewed my colleague(live I think?) and I was standing on the fence in the background. Hope hertz go bust.

Sure his kids had to be taken out (fee paying) school

I think they went to Royal High on queensferry, not fee paying. May be wrong though

Was flying back from Corfu on the day it broke. We landed in Glasgow late afternoon and first I knew of it was when I got on the bus to take us back to Edinburgh. The bus had a radio and an advert came on for the next day’s DR with the teaser “meet the men who killed Hibs”.
    As soon as we got back into Edinburgh it was straight for an EEN and taxi to ER. My flat was over from the Four in Hand so cases dumped and round to join the gathering. Hands Off Hibs was born that night.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Sums it up really. The thing that continues to p me off about the whole debacle was the spin that this was to make one strong Edinburgh club capable of challenging the OF. It was asset stripping, pure & simple. David (Spotty) Rowland who financed the bid & was later appointed Tory party Treasurer, incredibly, he was so toxic he had to forego the job, wouldn't know a football from a sausage roll! While I agree in principle about the Hearts' current plight we should remember the decent Jambos who signed the petition, came to ER & in John Robertson's case, attended the rally at the Usher Hall.
    The Jambos in my circle were as triumphalist as they were when Romanov was going to make them champions of Europe. I had one relative who was marginally sympathetic.

Guess I moved in the wrong circles back in the day

Sir Matt Busby

My 1st memory of being at ER isn't a game, it's being at the big stadium rally. Although I had been to games before none of them really register but I have some vivid memories of that day. I particularly remember my Grandad just having this quiet rage about him.

Mercers biggest problem was that he underestimated football fans on every level. He underestimated the passion, the intelligence and the ability to organise. I'm too young to really appreciate what went on at the time but I know what Hibs mean to me now and he tried to kill that, he tried to eradicate over a century of tradition and history for his own ends. **** him.

I was involved in hands off hibs and it was very very close that we died .
    Never ever forgive them for it as about 95% of them were all for it .
    Hope they go bust permanently...