hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Would you keep following Hibs if you could only watch on TV?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, just as passionately as ever

37 47.44%
  • Yes, but with less enthusiasm

23 29.49%
  • Maybe, if there was some way of fans gathering together to watch the TV games

4 5.13%
  • Nah, it wouldn't be the same and I'd likely drift away from football

14 17.95%
    Left by mutual consent!

If football was permanently behind closed doors and you could only see Hibs on TV...

In the (hopefully!) unlikely event that football is never able to host fans again, would you keep following Hibs if your only way to watch them was by buying a subsription to watch them play closed doors games?
    Last edited by G B Young; 15-05-2020 at 04:02 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Football is dead without fans. Being a fan is all about sharing experiences with fellow fans and mocking the opposition fans. It's what makes the game great. Watching matches in a soulless, fan-free stadium is just weird.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Football is dead without fans. Being a fan is all about sharing experiences with fellow fans and mocking the opposition fans. It's what makes the game great. Watching matches in a soulless, fan-free stadium is just weird.
    I agree.

However, would you rather watch in a socially distanced stadium with about a quarter of the usual fans allowed in or just watch on TV? I think I'd probably just opt for TV as the socially distanced atmosphere would be almost as weird as no fans.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    In the (hopefully!) unlikely event that football is never able to host fans again, would you keep following Hibs if your only way to watch them was by buying a subsription to watch them play closed doors games?
    It's not unlikely , it's hugely unlikely that football won't ever be able to host fans again. Alot of people said we won't see football in any form this year , including a few on here , and in less then 24 hours one of the biggest leagues in the world returns.

It might be next year before it returns but to suggest it might never return to hosting fans is ridiculous IMO.

Not fir me it just smacks of desperation to me Have no appetite fir it what’s ever No matter who was playing

Would rather just give the club money to be honest
    Will relive the Cup Final next week though and break out the Jagger from the Freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    If it is the new normal I'd probably get used to it...eventually...

It's Hibs.

I have no problem watching our women's team who don't play in front of 16000 every week, so why should I stop watching the men's team?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

This could be the new normal for some time into the future, we just dont know.

The virus isn't so bad that it is going to wipe out crowds forever.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yep I would watch and take it as it was.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    You would be as well pulling the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    You would be as well pulling the plug.

Did ye ever get in the bath to find out you maybe moved the plug accidentally and the waters gone before you realise..

only sports i can see surviving without supporters is golf and cricket and possibly even tiddlywinks..

Left by mutual consent!
    If I'm unable to attend a game and have to settle for it on the TV then I do so to watch the team, no matter who's in attendance.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I know it’s a hypothetical question but come on, it’s up there with who would win a fight between a lion and a tiger. It’s not going to happen, eventually everyone will be back in their seats in a full stadium.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I know it’s a hypothetical question but come on, it’s up there with who would win a fight between a lion and a tiger. It’s not going to happen, eventually everyone will be back in their seats in a full stadium.
    Spot on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yep I'm sure that will eventually be the case. Just seems a hell of a long time off and I get the sense nobody really knows what to do. I'm especially sceptical about social distancing at stadiums. Who could be bothered with that?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    A tiger.

I'd still support Hibs on the TV.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    The virus isn't so bad that it is going to wipe out crowds forever.
    Has any country yet had a spike that’s worse than the first one The answer is No
    Things are changing g rapidly just now and despite the fact hundreds of new people every day are diagnosed with the virus the numbers in hospital are falling and numbers in critical care falling
    In Scotland I would think we are at the point where more people are dying by not goi g to the hospital through fear
    The fact remains most people who get this virus do t even know they have it , it’s still predominantly affecting the elderly with underlying health issues and those with poor immune systems
    Treatments will improve
    Am not advocating we go back to Normal right now but as we learn from other countries and see what happens there as they come out of lockdown we may be surprised
    There are ways to live with the virus if people ate sensible about it
    By August I think we will have a far better perspective
    I would be more worried about a bad winter and a second spike then

Yep I'm sure that will eventually be the case. Just seems a hell of a long time off and I get the sense nobody really knows what to do. I'm especially sceptical about social distancing at stadiums. Who could be bothered with that?
    If Hibs were playing tomorrow you'd get thousands happy to go along to Easter Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Has any country yet had a spike that’s worse than the first one The answer is No
    Things are changing g rapidly just now and despite the fact hundreds of new people every day are diagnosed with the virus the numbers in hospital are falling and numbers in critical care falling
    In Scotland I would think we are at the point where more people are dying by not goi g to the hospital through fear
    The fact remains most people who get this virus do t even know they have it , it’s still predominantly affecting the elderly with underlying health issues and those with poor immune systems
    Treatments will improve
    Am not advocating we go back to Normal right now but as we learn from other countries and see what happens there as they come out of lockdown we may be surprised

I think its the winter months we have to be more worried about. We may not even be allowed into sporting events until after next winter

Tigers are bigger. No contest.

Just watched a couple of German games today i would keep following Hibs if we had to watch games without fans but to be honest I would probably drift away after a while. I felt today the football was so boring mainly due to the fact there was no atmosphere

i really hope hope we can find a vaccine for covid this year and get back to following our team with a full stadium

c,mon the Hibs

I watched the Dortmund game today.

It's hard to argue they were anything other than very good to watch. However it really hammered home to me why I don't watch a lot of football away from Hibs. I think it's the emotional and social aspect of the game that attracts me far more than the football itself. If the quality of football was the overriding factor I wouldn't be supporting Hibs.

I don't doubt the commitment of the players involved today but without fans roaring the sides on and reacting to tackles, goals, misplaced passes, corners won and so on it just feels a bit like a friendly and all a bit sterile.

To answer the question I'd probably stick with it for a while because it's Hibs but I could see myself drifting away. Football is about rituals, tradition and shared moments. Remove fans from the game and you remove a huge part of that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    I think its the winter months we have to be more worried about. We may not even be allowed into sporting events until after next winter
    If that’s the case there will be very little left.
    There will have to come a time , hopefully not too far in the future, when we can get back to something like normality. After the decision is taken to open things up again, people will have to make their own choices about what they think is “safe” or not. Some will decide they will not attend anything that involves close contact like theatres, cinemas , sport etc. Some will be going about their daily lives behind a mask for years to come. That will be their choice and nobody will be forced to attend football matches.

In answer to the question in the OP, I would say no, if football was just played behind closed doors for ever. But I don't think it'll be like that forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Treatments will improve

The reason the numbers are falling, this is the result of lockdown, you don’t just see that improvement over night, that takes weeks. Despite lockdown rules being relaxed in places strict social distancing is still in place and group gatherings are going to be forbidden for a while. It’s likely that when group gathering rules are relaxed it will only be to allow around 50 folk in 1 place to allow small group gatherings for weddings, funerals etc.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'd still watch Hibs i suppose, but i'd certainly not watch foreign stuff like whats on now. I'd have to have some sort of allegiance one way or another.

Also, part and parcel of the game for me is the social side, and meeting up with friends and the banter of travelling with them is a good part of the day for me.

I dont know if i'd drift away from watching Hibs, but the attraction would certainly be a lot different.

Oh and by the way, a tiger.

You only get one team in your life. Mines are the Gabbage.
    Supported them through thick and thin. Have the scars to prove it!

Football as we know it will return in time. I'll be there waiting.
    Until then if it means I need to watch on TV to get a fix so be it.