hibs.net Messageboard

Page 45 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 3414
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you are wrong with that. I and my work are still operating and we have said that there should be no use of public transport, no car sharing EXCEPT if you are being brought to work by a family member from the same household. And that is based in government guidance
    Totally willing to accept I might be wrong, but I haven't seen that guidance and know of at least one police officer who hasn't either.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    The relevant section of the legislation is below for Scotland:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2...ulation/8/made

I obviously don't know where your son works or what his employer has told him, but would imagine the advice not to use public transport unless you have to means if you can't walk, cycle, or drive yourself.
    I think I am fine, just spoke to a cop who happened to be parked up in Morrisons at the Gyle, he said what I am doing is reasonable and in no way endangering anyone else, in fact I am lessening the contact my son has with anyone else so he wouldn’t have a problem if he ever had cause to stop me. A sensible interpretation are the words he used.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Totally willing to accept I might be wrong, but I haven't seen that guidance and know of at least one police officer who hasn't either.
    We have issued letters to all staff regarding this and it is completely acceptable to be driven to work by a close family member from the same household.

We have issued letters to all staff regarding this and it is completely acceptable to be driven to work by a close family member from the same household.
    Of course it is, it poses absolutely no danger to anyone and limits the exposure to key workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I think I am fine, just spoke to a cop who happened to be parked up in Morrisons at the Gyle, he said what I am doing is reasonable and in no way endangering anyone else, in fact I am lessening the contact my son has with anyone else so he wouldn’t have a problem if he ever had cause to stop me. A sensible interpretation are the words he used.
    Of course it is, it poses absolutely no danger to anyone and limits the exposure to key workers.
    As I understand it, the basic principle is that nobody should be leaving their home who doesn't need to, but I totally understand the counter argument. It's not what the law or, as far as I can see, the guidance says though.

Weecounty Hibby - do you know what Government guidance your letters are based on?

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    As I understand it, the basic principle is that nobody should be leaving their home who doesn't need to, but I totally understand the counter argument. It's not what the law or, as far as I can see, the guidance says though.

Weecounty Hibby - do you know what Government guidance your letters are based on?
    No, but I do know that senior execs within our company met with MPs and MSPs last week and outlined every protocol that we have put in place to allow us to operate safely, including how to get to work. The fact that we are still operating and the guidance remains that close family members can drive employees into work makes me think that it was accepted

No, but I do know that senior execs within our company met with MPs and MSPs last week and outlined every protocol that we have put in place to allow us to operate safely, including how to get to work. The fact that we are still operating and the guidance remains that close family members can drive employees into work makes me think that it was accepted
    Fair enough. It just strikes me as being strange because if it's preferrable to other transport options, I'd expect it to be highlighted in the guidance.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Fair enough. It just strikes me as being strange because if it's preferrable to other transport options, I'd expect it to be highlighted in the guidance.
    Certainly seems like a sensible interpretation. Arguably it would be covered under travel for work or voluntary services in the guidance link above.

I'm still working, driving my wee van through to Glasgow, up to Perth and around Edinburgh.

It's an absolute pleasure driving these days without all the nutters on the road! There's hardly anyone cruising in the outside lanes for example. Not much of an issue with lorries overtaking lorries either. Everyone seems to be courteous, getting on with each other very nicely.

One thing I've noticed, particularly on the motorways, is there's a wee line of dirt and dust forming in the middle of some carriageways. Not as bad as country roads where farmers deposit half their field on them but a track all the same.

I really enjoy driving, been doing it for over 40 years and the last couple of weeks has reminded me why.

My wife received a letter from her work at M&S and she got one for me if I had to drive her to work, she'd since been furloughed for 2 months but due the lack of buses I would've had to drive her in if needed, hence the letter for me to carry in case I got stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    My wife received a letter from her work at M&S and she got one for me if I had to drive her to work, she'd since been furloughed for 2 months but due the lack of buses I would've had to drive her in if needed, hence the letter for me to carry in case I got stopped.
    What did it say specifically?

What did it say specifically?

TBH I did say I had a letter, that was wrong sorry, I thought she had one for me if I had to drive her into work, she received her own individual one but seeing as she's been furloughed, one for me is not necessary now.

TBH I did say I had a letter, that was wrong sorry, I thought she had one for me if I had to drive her into work, she received her own individual one but seeing as she's been furloughed, one for me is not necessary now.
    No worries, thanks for replying. If Government are giving different advice to employers (or at least accepting the travel proposals of employers for employees) from the law and published guidance, it's no wonder there's confusion.

No worries, thanks for replying. If Government are giving different advice to employers (or at least accepting the travel proposals of employers for employees) from the law and published guidance, it's no wonder there's confusion.
    When asked about being furloughed, she was firstly asked if she wanted it or wanted to carry on working with an extra 15% on her wage. Travel to work was going to be a problem as she doesn't drive and buses are now very sparse, so her company have taken all these factors and decided who can work and who was being furloughed. AFAIK if she has to work M&S will issue me a letter explaining I am taking a key worker to and from her work, TBH all the police have to do is phone her work and be told my wife is working, surely it's only common sense this will happen re key workers and travel.

When asked about being furloughed, she was firstly asked if she wanted it or wanted to carry on working with an extra 15% on her wage. Travel to work was going to be a problem as she doesn't drive and buses are now very sparse, so her company have taken all these factors and decided who can work and who was being furloughed. AFAIK if she has to work M&S will issue me a letter explaining I am taking a key worker to and from her work, TBH all the police have to do is phone her work and be told my wife is working, surely it's only common sense this will happen re key workers and travel.
    I think there's arguments on both sides, but would agree it seems the most sensible option if the key worker is unable to travel alone.

I've just posted this on the main Coronavirus thread - the situation seems to be getting less clear by the day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52312560

Folk that think because the traffic is so much lighter just now that main roads are Silverstone simulators.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Folk that think because the traffic is so much lighter just now that main roads are Silverstone simulators.
    Yup, just had a hoodlum in a Ford Focus ST (not even an RS) straight-line the Drum Brae roundabout going from Glasgow Road in to St John's Road where the 20mph zone starts and he was doing at least 50 mph.
    There's less traffic on general out there, and less pedestrians about, but I wouldn't be surprised if accidents/fatalities remain at the same level prior to lockdown.
    Ironically, some insurers are handing out token refunds to policy holders due to there being less claims over the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Yup, just had a hoodlum in a Ford Focus ST (not even an RS) straight-line the Drum Brae roundabout going from Glasgow Road in to St John's Road where the 20mph zone starts and he was doing at least 50 mph.
    There's less traffic on general out there, and less pedestrians about, but I wouldn't be surprised if accidents/fatalities remain at the same level prior to lockdown.
    Ironically, some insurers are handing out token refunds to policy holders due to there being less claims over the last few weeks.
    There's been zero fatalities on the roads so far this month for Lothian, Fife and Central.

EDIT: Should have kept my mouth shut as there was a fatality in Fife on Monday.
    Last edited by Future17; 22-04-2020 at 02:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    There's been zero fatalities on the roads so far this month for Lothian, Fife and Central.

EDIT: Should have kept my mouth shut as there was a fatality in Fife on Monday.
    Thankfully then, "we" haven't been too bad but I've read stories elsewhere of cyclists and pedestrians bring seriously injured and killed since lockdown.
    I'm not suggesting their should be zero accidents, but at the beginning the roads were so quiet, I don't understand how the conflict between users could happen.

Just to reiterate my point, a story from the BBC today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52370352

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    People still driving aggressively/bad practice even now.

Examples: Edinburgh bound M9 at around the same time for 3 mornings last week 2 young women in a silver Ford Focus have been doing in excess of 90/100 mph, right up the arse of cars in the inside lane. Stupid speed and aggressive driving.

Cars squeezing past in the overtaking lane and instead of leaving a sensible gap they pull in when they’re past by a couple of inches. Is it a general consensus that it’s safe to pull in when you can see the car in your rear view mirror or is that just me?

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    People still driving aggressively/bad practice even now.

Examples: Edinburgh bound M9 at around the same time for 3 mornings last week 2 young women in a silver Ford Focus have been doing in excess of 90/100 mph, right up the arse of cars in the inside lane. Stupid speed and aggressive driving.

Cars squeezing past in the overtaking lane and instead of leaving a sensible gap they pull in when they’re past by a couple of inches. Is it a general consensus that it’s safe to pull in when you can see the car in your rear view mirror or is that just me?
    I always wait until I can see the other car in my rear view mirror before moving back in

Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    I always wait until I can see the other car in my rear view mirror before moving back in
    Agreed that’s how I was taught by my instructor many years ago.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Agreed that’s how I was taught by my instructor many years ago.
    Ditto.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    And indicate..... Not saying you dont btw. Indicators seem to be a lost art.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Some unbelievable driving in Corstorphine last week, I’m behind a guy who suddenly brakes, I respond and brake too, he then speeds up a bit then brakes and sits about 10mph, so I brake and sit behind him absolutely clueless as to what he is up to. He then starts waving which indicates he maybe wants me to overtake him on the inside, I stick behind him as he speeds up again and then brakes to about 10mph and waves angrily again, all this as he remains in the outside lane. He then speeds up and pulls into the inside lane further on where he winds down his window and screams at me the that the car behind me is following him somewhere and he wanted me to go on so she could get behind him 😂

What a knob, he obviously thought I was a mind reader instead of him just doing the sensible thing of pulling to the inside and waiting for her, absolute clueless driving from him.

Some unbelievable driving in Corstorphine last week, I’m behind a guy who suddenly brakes, I respond and brake too, he then speeds up a bit then brakes and sits about 10mph, so I brake and sit behind him absolutely clueless as to what he is up to. He then starts waving which indicates he maybe wants me to overtake him on the inside, I stick behind him as he speeds up again and then brakes to about 10mph and waves angrily again, all this as he remains in the outside lane. He then speeds up and pulls into the inside lane further on where he winds down his window and screams at me the that the car behind me is following him somewhere and he wanted me to go on so she could get behind him 😂

What a knob, he obviously thought I was a mind reader instead of him just doing the sensible thing of pulling to the inside and waiting for her, absolute clueless driving from him.

What a clown... why not just pull over?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    And indicate..... Not saying you dont btw. Indicators seem to be a lost art.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    There is no requirement to indicate when moving back into your own lane after overtaking.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    What a clown... why not just pull over?
    he was a sweater.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    he was a sweater.
    Purlease.

Did he think the guy following was incapable of keeping track of him?