hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Ron has put some thought into the process of increasing the cash flow into Hibs with the target of using that money to increase the quality on the pitch, nothing wrong with that. Will all the ideas work? I doubt it but they may work to a degree where they do attract both supporters and sponsorship. If you are going to set targets then make them stretch targets.
    I go to a stadium which has one of the best light and sound displays in the world, to be honest the first few times it was interesting and now it can all be going off and I barely even notice it but it does look great on TV and therefore attracts interest.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's an impressive guy.

I'm glad he presented his plan to the players first. Thought that was a brilliant touch and will keep them feeling part of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Radge70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That could have been the two Ronnie's until you got the cat involved!
    Lol brilliant

Modern day fitba has to attract new fans, if that means digital boards and advertising and the so called razzmatazz of disco lights then fine by me.
    All seems positive to me, positivity breeds positivity.
    Cant say I have ever been so looking forward to the future of Hibs than now, "ready for take off".

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post

The blingification of sporting events is becoming cringeworthy.
    It might not be that younger people feel the same and I would think the whole experience rather than just the match is a key element in sport in the US and more importantly, their sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He's an impressive guy.

I'm glad he presented his plan to the players first. Thought that was a brilliant touch and will keep them feeling part of everything.
    Yip, perform and you get a rise with the new budget, don't and your replaced by a better quality player

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    There's no doubt that he came across really well at the AGM ... professional, composed and personable.

He outlined a lot of ambitions for the club, but also made it clear that achieving them was dependent on building our income generation capabilities through corporate sponsorship and the fans getting on board too. There were no wild promises about winning the league or even making the group stages in Europe.

You can never be 100% sure about anybody you don't know personally, sometimes not even then. But the vibe you got from him was that he genuinely wanted to take the club to a new level in a considered and sustainable way and that he wasn't just bull****ting.

Of all the aims he outlined the one about growing 13,000 season ticket holders to 17,000 within a few years was the one for me that showed a slight lack of realism about us as a club and Scottish football in general. To get to that level without a major run of outstanding seasons on the park seems to me to be a tad unrealistic ..... Making the matchday experience great can only take you so far without on field success to go with it. If under his tenure we get to 17,000 season tickets by say 2024 never mind naming a stand after Tom Farmer, we would have to name the whole stadium after Ron Gordon.

In short: As a person he came across really well. As an owner the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, its that simple.
    I don't think 17,000 season tickets is *that* unrealistic.
    In 2012/13 I think we had about 8,000 - lady season we had almost 14,000. The Scottish Cup win was a huge catalyst but it's also worth remembering that we'd spent three years in the Championship in the period since then.

Creating an environment where people want to experience it again will grow the support - and keeping a winning team will accelerate that growth.

I likened Ron to Fergus McCann in that he sees a very clear direction of travel to grow the club. What I took from his presentation is that his priority is success on the pitch, which he'll achieve by increasing the income and profit.

To attract sponsors he's set a clear path on the values her wants the club to be associated with, and by extension, who our sponsors will be associated with.

He's making us immensely attractive to sponsors. The greenest club in Scotland - this is a massive hot topic globally so to be at the forefront makes us an appealing option; really meaningful community work - he mentioned a Hibernian Youth Club, again it's a great initiative and one that if you tagged "in association with..." gives real value to sponsors.

There was stuff like that throughout the presentation where Hibs were leading on things that people would naturally want to be involved with, and that goes for the support, too.

Traditionally, the football has been about going to the game and going away again, you're only at the stadium to watch the match - maybe get a pie or whatever, and for some that's book-ended with pints at the pub.

There would have been a time when going to the cinema was just about the movie, now you go and you get popcorn, or a hot dog, a coffee, or a beer. Cinemas made the experience better and now it's normal.

A good team, along with an experienced that is genuinely enjoyable (so no long waits at turnstiles that don't work, or sultry kiosk staff etc) as well as something that is really different, will get people's interest and they'll want to go.

17,000 is ambitious, but if Hibs can deliver what they want to I'd actually be amazed if we didn't hit it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I don't think 17,000 season tickets is *that* unrealistic.
    In 2012/13 I think we had about 8,000 - lady season we had almost 14,000. The Scottish Cup win was a huge catalyst but it's also worth remembering that we'd spent three years in the Championship in the period since then.

Creating an environment where people want to experience it again will grow the support - and keeping a winning team will accelerate that growth.

I likened Ron to Fergus McCann in that he sees a very clear direction of travel to grow the club. What I took from his presentation is that his priority is success on the pitch, which he'll achieve by increasing the income and profit.

To attract sponsors he's set a clear path on the values her wants the club to be associated with, and by extension, who our sponsors will be associated with.

He's making us immensely attractive to sponsors. The greenest club in Scotland - this is a massive hot topic globally so to be at the forefront makes us an appealing option; really meaningful community work - he mentioned a Hibernian Youth Club, again it's a great initiative and one that if you tagged "in association with..." gives real value to sponsors.

There was stuff like that throughout the presentation where Hibs were leading on things that people would naturally want to be involved with, and that goes for the support, too.

Traditionally, the football has been about going to the game and going away again, you're only at the stadium to watch the match - maybe get a pie or whatever, and for some that's book-ended with pints at the pub.

There would have been a time when going to the cinema was just about the movie, now you go and you get popcorn, or a hot dog, a coffee, or a beer. Cinemas made the experience better and now it's normal.

A good team, along with an experienced that is genuinely enjoyable (so no long waits at turnstiles that don't work, or sultry kiosk staff etc) as well as something that is really different, will get people's interest and they'll want to go.

17,000 is ambitious, but if Hibs can deliver what they want to I'd actually be amazed if we didn't hit it.
    I've made the Fergus McCann comparison too, basically saying that if he sells the club in a few years time at a huge profit then that's fine by me as whatever he'd done will have worked.

The targetted increase in ST sales made me think of McCann again. OK, when he came in Celtic were at a low ebb, but throughout the 80s they were doing OK (along with the "new firm") but their crowds for non OF matches were often 20-25k.

Ron isn't looking to double attendances as Fergus did but increase them by about 30%.

It's got to be worth a try.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 28-02-2020 at 07:20 AM.

The comparison with cinema is a good one. I really like going to the cinema and probably go twice a month to see something. Sometimes on my own, sometimes with the kids. When it comes to movies all I want is to watch a good quality movie in 2D. I’m not interested in 3D, moving seats, sitting on sofas, waiter service or any of the other innovations the theatres are coming up with but I understand why they do it. It creates a buzz, people talk about it. They are constantly trying to enhance the experience and offer something new. The quality on the screen will only stay high if they can keep enticing new people to come to their cinemas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Surely the cat has to be called ‘da-do’ ...

Might rail at that.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Surely the cat has to be called ‘da-do’ ...

I see where you’re coming from, it’s Crystals clear

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    I see where you’re coming from, it’s Crystals clear
    I fear the spector of punning is going to overshadow this discussion.

More to the point though, how good is Ron at steering a submarine?
    Last edited by Cataplana; 28-02-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    ...and I thought I was a grumpy old git!

Not grumpy, just givin ma point of view..

if that's all right wi you.

😝

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    what you on about disco lights he never mentioned that once so stop making things up. Let’s getbehind the guy and stop all this Romanov nonsense .

You got P-M-T?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    Yip, perform and you get a rise with the new budget, don't and your replaced by a better quality player
    Absolutely. Keeps them on their toes

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    You got P-M-T?
    and your point is caller

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Is it just me but I’m really really excited about bringing the catering in house
    as working in the trade the offering was “disgusting “
    I know we’re not Tottenham but in today’s world most products are able to be done
    very quickly
    it could generate a lot of money 3-5 mil a season

GGTTH

IN RON WE TRUST

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    Is it just me but I’m really really excited about bringing the catering in house
    I know we’re not Tottenham but in today’s world most products are able to be done
    very quickly

GGTTH

IN RON WE TRUST
    RG stated we would be looking at £600k revenue

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    RG stated we would be looking at £600k revenue
    I think the £600k figure will be based on existing sales (say 15k attendance at 20 matches/season = £2 average spend which would seem about right). There's obviously room to improve in this (better product & service) but it'll never be millions.

Left by mutual consent!
    very quickly

GGTTH

IN RON WE TRUST
    I'm not bothered about a cheese shop, but our own microbrewery is a must. There's a real shortage of microbreweries in the Leith area.

Seriously though, where are you getting £3 - 5 million a season?

A wee Ron song ??
    Ron Gordon for me, Ron Gordon for me,
    If you're no Ron Gordon you're nae use tae me
    Tom Farmer was braw ,Rod Petrie an aw,
    but Peruvian Ron Gordon 's the pride o' us aw. !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    I'm not bothered about a cheese shop, but our own microbrewery is a must. There's a real shortage of microbreweries in the Leith area.

Seriously though, where are you getting £3 - 5 million a season?
    I go with my kids (2)

pizza and coke and sweets each

bovril (auld school) maybe a pie
    no much change out of a £20 (if any)

but here’s my “potential maths”

15,000 x£10 = £150,000

£150,000 x 20 games = £3,000,000

add into this that variety/product is better/awesome then maybes
    add a bevvie or 2 you could easily reach my “potential “ figures

doesn’t mean PURE profits !!

GGTTH

Left by mutual consent!
    I go with my kids (2)

pizza and coke and sweets each

bovril (auld school) maybe a pie
    no much change out of a £20 (if any)

but here’s my “potential maths”

15,000 x£10 = £150,000

£150,000 x 20 games = £3,000,000

add into this that variety/product is better/awesome then maybes
    add a bevvie or 2 you could easily reach my “potential “ figures

doesn’t mean PURE profits !!

GGTTH
    Thanks, those figures seem achievable. I rarely use the kiosks, so I wasn't aware how expensive it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Thanks, those figures seem achievable. I rarely use the kiosks, so I wasn't aware how expensive it could be.
    Those figures aren't achievable at all. That would rely on (assuming a 20,000 sell out) 75% of people purchasing from the kiosks.

Unless we bring in huge numbers of staff, that wouldn't be doable. Also, not a chance 75% of people at game use the kiosks.

And just to note for every bottle that lands on the pitch it makes even harder to get those top level Corporate sponsors he is alluding to.

Fans have a part to play in this, in more ways than one.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03007972 View Post
    With both hands on the shaft..........go!
    Humble brag ...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Those figures aren't achievable at all. That would rely on (assuming a 20,000 sell out) 75% of people purchasing from the kiosks.

Unless we bring in huge numbers of staff, that wouldn't be doable. Also, not a chance 75% of people at game use the kiosks.
    Again all my figures are based on value for money products that will
    make it attractive .
    i do think the lower number is potentially very achievable

As I said before we aren’t Tottenham but if it’s done right (miniature version) people will spend
    tottenham turn over circa £1,000,000 every home match day and
    their stadium is 3x ours

I hope RON has a forward thinking team working on this instead of a “that’ll do “ team

GGTTH

But let’s beg to differ

no point arguing over spilt chips on match day 😜

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    There will always be people that pick on one point, fail to understand that some people want more than just a game of football, fail to look at the bigger picture or just lack imagination.

When I look at the full statement of Ron Gordon’s vision for the club, I am really excited for our future.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

Agreed. Fantasy stuff.

The club have already looked into it and estimate £600k but a random fan 'thinks' millions can be made!!!

Thank Christ we're not doing the Hearts fan owned thing if this is what can happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    There will always be people that pick on one point, fail to understand that some people want more than just a game of football, fail to look at the bigger picture or just lack imagination.

When I look at the full statement of Ron Gordon’s vision for the club, I am really excited for our future.

exactly

GGTTH