hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ron Gordon, the man

Lots has been written about the future plans, but I thought it would be good to focus on Ron Gordon, the man.

Yesterday was really the first time that I've listened to the man. My god, I was so impressed. He was so positive about our future, though highlighting that we all need to work together. There was almost a tear in my eye when he talked about how great a club Hibernian Football Club is. Also, about what we could become.

I really enjoyed listening to Ron. It's now up to us to back him, which I'm sure that the majority of Hibs fans will do.

Yes there are topics that stimulate many heated debates on Hibs.net, but we need to start trusting Ron and his team to address these in a way that is best for all Hibs fans.

Looking at this message board, the Singing Section generates a lot of discussion. Whatever your views, I've confidence in Ron and the Singing Section to reach an agreement that is best for all Hibs fans. I'm now going to abstain from all debates on this topic because I trust Ron and the Singing Section to get it right. Anything I add is wasted energy.

HSL is another topic that can generate strong opinions. Again I trust Ron and HSL to address this.

I really do feel we stand at a vital stage in the history of Hibernian Football Club. Never before have we had someone present a clear and ambitious plan as Ron did last night. It's time for us to support him 100%, because we may never get another opportunity as this again.

My closing comment is that I would have loved the non-shareholders to have heard what Ron said. Maybe a Hibernian flavoured event during the summer at one of the large venues in Edinburgh might be a good way to do this.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm booking a flight to Bulgaria, to ensure absolute authenticity, but I feel them welling up too.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    It's a shame we don't have a plaza.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I don't know what the procedure is for changing names legally, but in any case I'm going to call both my daughters Ron from now on.

And the cat.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I liked his enthusiasm and ambition, but I'm probably in a very small minority who is still not 100% convinced. My main consideration is what happens on the pitch, by all means improve the catering but I couldn't care less for a jumbo screen and light show.

I'm also unclear where all the extra money is coming from to double our wage budget by 2023, it's easy enough to say we just need to increase our attendances, but they've dropped this season already, is the new match day experience going to make such a difference to our attendances.

Maybe I picked him up wrong, but I got the impression he won't be putting in any more money, unless it's a loan, so up to the fans to do so.

I was also a bit disappointed that he had no plans to attract investment from the US, I had hoped with his background that was exactly what he planned on doing.

I would add though that it was refreshing to hear a Hibs owner talk about having such big aspirations for the future, in my time as a fan I can't remember that ever being the case.
    Last edited by jeffers; 27-02-2020 at 08:12 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    People have complained that we've lacked ambition in the past but that doesn't seem to be something that Ron lacks. Some might not care about his chat about the match day experience, the catering, hospitality but if we want the club to be ambitious and be self sustainable then we have to look at the bigger picture rather than just the amount he invests in the team. If he can bring a bit of razzmatazz to the club then I'm all for it.

I'm the kind of person that judges people on their actions, not words.

We seem to have gone from constant complaints about him, the invisible man, etc... to now he's the saviour, some Messianic figure.

It's all become a bit "Mr Romanov"

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...My main consideration is what happens on the pitch, by all means improve the catering but I couldn't care less for a jumbo screen and light show.
    It's not just you.

I don't want a Celtc Park like experience, all light shows and brain thudding music before the match starts.

Just give me a winning team, playing with style being a bonus, inside a reasonably comfortable stadium.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 27-02-2020 at 07:53 PM.

I liked his enthusiasm and ambition, but I'm probably in a very small minority who is still not 100% convinced. My main consideration is what happens on the pitch, by all means improve the catering but I couldn't care less for a jumbo screen and light show.

I'm also unclear where all the extra money is coming from to double our wage budget by 2023, it's easy enough to say we just need to increase our attendances, but they've dropped this season already, is the new match day experience going to make such a difference to our attendances.

Maybe I picked him up wrong, but I got the impression he won't be putting in any more money, unless it's a loan, so up to the fans to do so.

I was also a bit disappointed that he had no plans to attract investment from the US, I had hoped with his background that was exactly what he planned on doing.

I would add though that it was refreshing to hear a Hibs owner talk about having such big aspirations for the future, in my time as a fan I can't remember that ever being the case.
    I don't think he completely closed the door on trying to attract US investment. I think he just made the, very good, point that it is only going to happen if it makes commercial sense for a US company. They aren't going to throw money at a Scottish football club unless there is something in it for them.

I got the impression his primary focus was targeting local and national businesses in the short term. There was a pretty thinly veiled criticism of the struggles to attract corporate partners throughout the game in Scotland. Getting Edinburgh and Scottish based businesses on board first arguably makes us more attractive to international investment.

I also think the idea behind the big screen, digital ribbon etc was to make us more attractive to and innovative for potential sponsors which would help grow the budget. If I had a business and wanted to sponsor a local sports team would I prefer a hoarding at a 19K capacity stadium, a space at a planned rugby stadium that holds less than 8K or a digital platform at the best and biggest club stadium in the city?

I said last night, and I stand by it, that not every idea will work. No business has ever seen every idea and plan come to fruition. However it's a guy who has come into the club and the league with a fresh pair of eyes and is going to try something different. A dose of healthy scepticism is a good thing and I'd hate to see us reach the kind of sycophantic level Hearts did with Romanov. I'm willing to trust RG for now though; he seemed genuine and passionate and his ideas made a lot of sense in principle.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Just because he didn’t mention the US doesn’t mean he’s not thinking about it.

I think this guy doesn’t want or need to be the centre of attention. I don’t think media attention will go to his head.

Time to see the plan delivered. I think it will be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

We seem to have gone from constant complaints about him, the invisible man, etc... to now he's the saviour, some Messianic figure.

It's not just you.

I don't want a Celtc Park like experience, all light shows and brain thudding music before the match starts.

Just give me a winning team, playing with style being a bonus, inside a reasonably comfortable stadium.
    ...and I thought I was a grumpy old git!

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar

It's not just you.

The blingification of sporting events is becoming cringeworthy.

I'd agree with you. I've heard plenty of plans that have come to nothing so if there's a new way, I'll be the first in line, but it had better work this time is my attitude.

A little OTT.

It's not just you.

All depends on the atmosphere. Do we want the Waterboys with a ripple of polite applause after each song, or the full scale Rammstein?

Admittedly the performance on the park will ultimately determine the atmosphere, but there's no harm in getting it started to give our players that early boost.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I don't know what the procedure is for changing names legally, but in any case I'm going to call both my daughters Ron from now on.

And the cat.
    That could have been the two Ronnie's until you got the cat involved!

Coaching Staff
    Didn't take long for the nae saers to put their heads above the parapet. 😕

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

You’re confusing a few people making a lot of noise on here as being representative of the whole support.

Prior to the AGM most fans were quietly looking forward to hearing Ron’s plans. Now we’ve heard them most fans are quietly looking forward to seeing if he can put them into action.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    You’re confusing a few people making a lot of noise on here as being representative of the whole support.

Prior to the AGM most fans were quietly looking forward to hearing Ron’s plans. Now we’ve heard them most fans are quietly looking forward to seeing if he can put them into action.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post

This

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

And the cat.
    I Christen you both, "Ron and the cat".

Weird.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

It's not just you.

what you on about disco lights he never mentioned that once so stop making things up. Let’s getbehind the guy and stop all this Romanov nonsense .

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Didn't take long for the nae saers to put their heads above the parapet. 😕
    I don't think there's anyone saying it's BS, just that we'll wait until we see how the proposals are implemented before saying how good they are.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't think he completely closed the door on trying to attract US investment. I think he just made the, very good, point that it is only going to happen if it makes commercial sense for a US company. They aren't going to throw money at a Scottish football club unless there is something in it for them.

I got the impression his primary focus was targeting local and national businesses in the short term. There was a pretty thinly veiled criticism of the struggles to attract corporate partners throughout the game in Scotland. Getting Edinburgh and Scottish based businesses on board first arguably makes us more attractive to international investment.

I also think the idea behind the big screen, digital ribbon etc was to make us more attractive to and innovative for potential sponsors which would help grow the budget. If I had a business and wanted to sponsor a local sports team would I prefer a hoarding at a 19K capacity stadium, a space at a planned rugby stadium that holds less than 8K or a digital platform at the best and biggest club stadium in the city?

I said last night, and I stand by it, that not every idea will work. No business has ever seen every idea and plan come to fruition. However it's a guy who has come into the club and the league with a fresh pair of eyes and is going to try something different. A dose of healthy scepticism is a good thing and I'd hate to see us reach the kind of sycophantic level Hearts did with Romanov. I'm willing to trust RG for now though; he seemed genuine and passionate and his ideas made a lot of sense in principle.
    Measured and spot on post.
    I was a bit harsh on another thread about the digital hoardings and big screen,I thought it was a bit of nonsense.
    But in terms of getting investors might be crucial,and not just to turn the stadium into a lightshow.
    I am sceptical myself,but lets see what it brings,at least the guy seems upbeat and motivated to go through with some changes at the club.
    His credibility as a businessman seems outstanding and not as murky as some owners.

I just really hope the fans are listened to in terms of the atmosphere in the stadium but that might work its self out when the seating is graded.

Has Ron"sealed" it??

First Team Regular

And the cat.
    This guy whom I follow on Twitter has beaten you to it
    twitter.com/romms28

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar

It's not just you.

Ultimately that's what we all want but you need to consider that there are other ways to add to the experience in order to pull people in that may want a bit more than 90 mins of football. Not me personally but I'd be inclined to take the Mrs. & the kids along if there's a bit more entertainment, razzamataz decent grub on offer.
    I'm delighted & excited that we're trying to make the all round experience better for people - Scottish football is still in the dark ages entertainment wise & this is something different.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

And the cat.
    Surely the cat has to be called ‘da-do’ ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no doubt that he came across really well at the AGM ... professional, composed and personable.

He outlined a lot of ambitions for the club, but also made it clear that achieving them was dependent on building our income generation capabilities through corporate sponsorship and the fans getting on board too. There were no wild promises about winning the league or even making the group stages in Europe.

You can never be 100% sure about anybody you don't know personally, sometimes not even then. But the vibe you got from him was that he genuinely wanted to take the club to a new level in a considered and sustainable way and that he wasn't just bull****ting.

Of all the aims he outlined the one about growing 13,000 season ticket holders to 17,000 within a few years was the one for me that showed a slight lack of realism about us as a club and Scottish football in general. To get to that level without a major run of outstanding seasons on the park seems to me to be a tad unrealistic ..... Making the matchday experience great can only take you so far without on field success to go with it. If under his tenure we get to 17,000 season tickets by say 2024 never mind naming a stand after Tom Farmer, we would have to name the whole stadium after Ron Gordon.

In short: As a person he came across really well. As an owner the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, its that simple.

I think some people don't realise a video ribbon and big TV isn't just for flashy lights and sounds, it will create revenue.

The best teams and stadiums in the world constantly improve their technology, we have to keep up if investors and advertisers want to take us seriously. Seems the majority get this though.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BobMilne
    With both hands on the shaft..........go!

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Lots has been written about the future plans, but I thought it would be good to focus on Ron Gordon, the man.

Yesterday was really the first time that I've listened to the man. My god, I was so impressed. He was so positive about our future, though highlighting that we all need to work together. There was almost a tear in my eye when he talked about how great a club Hibernian Football Club is. Also, about what we could become.

I really enjoyed listening to Ron. It's now up to us to back him, which I'm sure that the majority of Hibs fans will do.

Yes there are topics that stimulate many heated debates on Hibs.net, but we need to start trusting Ron and his team to address these in a way that is best for all Hibs fans.

Looking at this message board, the Singing Section generates a lot of discussion. Whatever your views, I've confidence in Ron and the Singing Section to reach an agreement that is best for all Hibs fans. I'm now going to abstain from all debates on this topic because I trust Ron and the Singing Section to get it right. Anything I add is wasted energy.

HSL is another topic that can generate strong opinions. Again I trust Ron and HSL to address this.

I really do feel we stand at a vital stage in the history of Hibernian Football Club. Never before have we had someone present a clear and ambitious plan as Ron did last night. It's time for us to support him 100%, because we may never get another opportunity as this again.

My closing comment is that I would have loved the non-shareholders to have heard what Ron said. Maybe a Hibernian flavoured event during the summer at one of the large venues in Edinburgh might be a good way to do this.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Just effing do it! (c/o Nike)

Testimonial Due
    Mister Rongordonov
    He sux Paul Hartleyoff

Just heading out to get my tattoo . . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk