hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Vela

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really want him to come good. There is a very good player in there.
    Agree saw signs away to Aberdeen and Celtic at home. You don't play that many games in the Championship without being a reasonable player.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Deserves another chance.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Vela is no where near as bad as some make out on here. He came in unfit, didnt play well and the team weren't playing well at all. Did anyone really look that much better than him(possibly allan) get him fit and let him show the new manager what he can do, if JR doesnt rate him then move him on in the summer

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Vela is no where near as bad as some make out on here. He came in unfit, didnt play well and the team weren't playing well at all. Did anyone really look that much better than him(possibly allan) get him fit and let him show the new manager what he can do, if JR doesnt rate him then move him on in the summer
    He signed in July. How long does a motivated professional footballer need to get up to speed?

Contrast with Boyle - recurrence of knee problem in July, into rehab etc and back in October, fully up to speed by December, voted POTM.

I have never thought Vela is a crap footballer, but maybe a good footballer with a crap attitude (to being at Hibs).

Did he not have quite a lot of injury problems at Bolton?

Maybe he was still not fully fit after those problems? Maybe he never will be?

He gets a clean slate from me, given how much the likes of Doidge and Newell improved during the 2nd quarter of the season.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Agree he isn't as bad however there have been a number of occasions when he has let himself down jogging back into position and then half heartedly getting nick for Derby winner. Being skinned at hampden then jogging back then subbed at half time. Turning back and not closing when Ross county scored in last minute. He wasn't at all the only one however he certainly contributed significantly to the weakness of our midfield. Looks like he has some talent and could be better under Ross but personally think parting of the ways better for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree he isn't as bad however there have been a number of occasions when he has let himself down jogging back into position and then half heartedly getting nick for Derby winner. Being skinned at hampden then jogging back then subbed at half time. Turning back and not closing when Ross county scored in last minute. He wasn't at all the only one however he certainly contributed significantly to the weakness of our midfield. Looks like he has some talent and could be better under Ross but personally think parting of the ways better for both parties.
    Did he not win the ball to set up Mallans goal in that same derby?

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Did he not win the ball to set up Mallans goal in that same derby?
    Yes he did and has done well in spells but generally imo has been disappointing

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    He signed in July. How long does a motivated professional footballer need to get up to speed?

Contrast with Boyle - recurrence of knee problem in July, into rehab etc and back in October, fully up to speed by December, voted POTM.

I have never thought Vela is a crap footballer, but maybe a good footballer with a crap attitude (to being at Hibs).
    I meant get him fit now seeing as he is injured

I gave him MOTM against Celtic at ER. There is a player there there's no doubt. Some players take longer to settle. Everyone is different. The guy was at Bolton since he was a young kid. Moving up to Edinburgh to a new league is a big change. I've not written him off just yet. Big chance for him now with Mallan out

Yes he did and has done well in spells but generally imo has been disappointing
    As did many of the first team under our previous manager.

I'd prefer to judge him fully fit and in a Ross team, playing in a system/position that suits him, before writing him off. Same with James. Vela played at times as a number 10 at Bolton and done well by all accounts.

Many players have looked suspect early in the ER careers and come good. No reason in my mind why he can't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I gave him MOTM against Celtic at ER. There is a player there there's no doubt. Some players take longer to settle. Everyone is different. The guy was at Bolton since he was a young kid. Moving up to Edinburgh to a new league is a big change. I've not written him off just yet. Big chance for him now with Mallan out
    He was very good against Celtic that day.

As did many of the first team under our previous manager.

I'd prefer to judge him fully fit and in a Ross team, playing in a system/position that suits him, before writing him off. Same with James. Vela played at times as a number 10 at Bolton and done well by all accounts.

Many players have looked suspect early in the ER careers and come good. No reason in my mind why he can't either.
    Do we have the time to wait and see if he does?

Do we have the time to wait and see if he does?
    Yes. He signed a long term deal.

I couldn't care less if there's 'a player in there' if he hasn't got the correct attitude. If he were to think he's just up here to pick up a wage and that it's only a pub league then so what, then he can do one!

Im not saying he is thinking that but we do know that Scottish football and indeed Scotland in general is regarded as some sort of distant backwater and for some players that come up here from England, subconsciously at least, these thoughts are there.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    I couldn't care less if there's 'a player in there' if he hasn't got the correct attitude. If he were to think he's just up here to pick up a wage and that it's only a pub league then so what, then he can do one!

Im not saying he is thinking that but we do know that Scottish football and indeed Scotland in general is regarded as some sort of distant backwater and for some players that come up here from England, subconsciously at least, these thoughts are there.
    There's no evidence that's the case, the best thing to do is to let him come back, give him a chance (FWIW I'd have Joe Newell in my starting eleven now and we had people on here saying he wasn't even lowland league level) and go from there.

It clearly wasn't an easy team to do well in early this season so he deserves a clean slate like everyone else. He's not had a Matt Doherty moment so I think we have to take it at face value.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Would like to see him get a shot under Ross before moving him on, if thats the clubs intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post

Not really sure how to discuss your point any further tbh.

Quite incredible.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    There might be a player in there that others have seen when playing for Bolton, but as a Hibs player we've not seen that player.

JR has not picked him, Eddie May dropped him straight away when we got rid of the last clown. Apparently he's injured now and still at the club, if JR can get him playing well then good, but in my opinion, i dont see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    There might be a player in there that others have seen when playing for Bolton, but as a Hibs player we've not seen that player.

JR has not picked him, Eddie May dropped him straight away when we got rid of the last clown. Apparently he's injured now and still at the club, if JR can get him playing well then good, but in my opinion, i dont see that happening.
    Absolutely spot on. I can't figure out how some people think "there's a player in there'. He is garbage.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Absolutely spot on. I can't figure out how some people think "there's a player in there'. He is garbage.
    Agreed. With the heart of a mouse too.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him under Ross, Really has to perform to save his career

Yes. He signed a long term deal.
    Other option is moving him on and getting better value from someone else.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Agreed. With the heart of a mouse too.
    This continues to one of the most pathetic things people say on here.

Other option is moving him on and getting better value from someone else.
    Only bonus in all this was he was a free agent so only cost us a signing on fee, I'd assume we'd be happy to allow him to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I agree but he's one of those players who runs around a lot without actually doing anything, like a janitor with a screwdriver and a cloth, always looks like he's working

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I agree but he's one of those players who runs around a lot without actually doing anything, like a janitor with a screwdriver and a cloth, always looks like he's working

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Agreed. See it so many times. Newell had it plastered all over him for weeks.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post

Left by mutual consent!
    Yeh I know. Imagine using that as an excuse when your actually injured.
    Wonder if he will play for Shrewsbury this week.