hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whelan

Testimonial Due
    To my way of thinking, its Stendal trying to get rid of high wage earners from their books?
    Maybe as relegation is now a distinct possibility being 5 points behind the rest?
    Stendal is after a different type of playing, and they do not fit in, but getting clear of high earners will be the biggest thing at this point!!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

If up to me I would make a tentative enquiry to him. From memory he was quite decent in the derby at ER.

He should be highly motivated with the international play offs in March.

And better still, he would bust his balls in the Derby to put one over on the lesser Klopp.

For a short term deal until the end of the season, it would be low risk financially.

@hibs.net private member
    At Villa last year so we Could get a scouting report from SJM!

When I first read the thread, I was absolutely against it. Maybe for 6 months wouldn’t be too bad.

As long as he said ‘it’s nice to be at a well run, professional big club, with a non bigoted, vibrant support’

Left by mutual consent!
    No chance. Boys legs have gone. Would be just as well having Whittaker in there.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To my way of thinking, its Stendal trying to get rid of high wage earners from their books?
    Maybe as relegation is now a distinct possibility being 5 points behind the rest?
    Stendal is after a different type of playing, and they do not fit in, but getting clear of high earners will be the biggest thing at this point!!!!
    Stendal will go with the young guys he's recalled . If he could empty naismith and Walker he would they don't fit what he wants interesting times at tynie

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I thought he was past it at villa last season but they liked him and he was apparently Irelands best player last season.

Wouldnt be against 6 months, especially if he wants to get it up hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeedonald View Post
    Would 100% take him. 6 month deal. Has a point to prove and was great for villa less than a year ago.

Isn't too old for the position he plays.

Wouldn't read too much into him not being great at hearts as they are ****ed top to bottom.
    Like Milligan? VG in/on his day but got roasted a few times 'cos he'd lost that yard of pace and ability to react quickly. We need better as a priority signing, so to the max bucks, but that will probs only happen after offloading one or two.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    No chance. Boys legs have gone. Would be just as well having Whittaker in there.

@hibs.net private member
    As much as he's endeared himself to me with his comments about our neighbours after being let go, I wouldn't touch him with a barge poll.

Am I missing a punchline from those who are saying they want him?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I’d take him.

Why not? I think he’s done ok and we need someone like him in midfield.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    I thought he was past it at villa last season but they liked him and he was apparently Irelands best player last season.

Wouldnt be against 6 months, especially if he wants to get it up hearts.
    There were many negative comments about him on Villa fans' site. His service was appreciated but most seemed happy for him to go.

Christ, once Sir Craig Levein's contract is up will there be a "Could do a job" thread?

I would rather we had Dylan, proven performer.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I think he'd be perfect for us. I've seen hime 3 times this season and his legs don't look to have gone to me.

He was excellent here, played very well when he came on against Celtic and was also very good v Denmark for the RoI

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post
    Christ, once Sir Craig Levein's contract is up will there be a "Could do a job" thread?

I'd rather we had Messi, but that isn't going to happen either.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post

That would be harsh on Tam McCourt.

I'd take Berra, Levein, Whelan, Halkett, Zlamal and Mulraney. Then give them straight back to Hearts.

I know football is home to a broadchurch of views, but I genuinely can't fathom why we've had two threads stating that the OP would like us to sign old rejects from the worst team in the league.

Absolutely baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I'd take him.
    I Agree with you. if he fancied a 6 month deal at hibs on reasonable wages I wouldn't say no.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    Apparently he was only training twice a week at them and refused to do any media commitments. He is the player we are looking for but not at 35 and not his attitude.

Imagine he’d be one of the higher earners and it wouldn’t sit right with a Slivka sitting on the bench coming in 5 days out of 7 not getting a game then Whelan does 2 sessions a game and is off back down the road to see the family.

I'd take him! If only to put him up from during the next derby when we are 3-0 up to score the 4th.

In all seriousness though, he's a decent DM, was good fornhearts at the start of the season and like others say, will be surrounded by better players. Did well for Villa last season and I'm sure he'd be determined to prove people wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by TimeForHeros16 View Post
    Apparently he was only training twice a week at them and refused to do any media commitments. He is the player we are looking for but not at 35 and not his attitude.

Imagine he’d be one of the higher earners and it wouldn’t sit right with a Slivka sitting on the bench coming in 5 days out of 7 not getting a game then Whelan does 2 sessions a game and is off back down the road to see the family.

Well I agree with this.

Too many stories about Levein allowing senior players more time off than others. Surely you train together, play together and win together as a group?

But if Whelan wanted a short term deal on the same basis as our other senior players, I would be up for that.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Well I agree with this.

Too many stories about Levein allowing senior players more time off than others. Surely you train together, play together and win together as a group?

But if Whelan wanted a short term deal on the same basis as our other senior players, I would be up for that.
    Most teams manage senior players differently. Train a 30 year old like a 20 year old and you may as well get him a season ticket for the physio room.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Most teams manage senior players differently. Train a 30 year old like a 20 year old and you may as well get him a season ticket for the physio room.
    Train differently yes. Turn up to the training ground half as often and then be in the starting XI on a Saturday, no.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Train differently yes. Turn up to the training ground half as often and then be in the starting XI on a Saturday, no.
    Don’t think it’s an issue that....Whelan is very experienced will know his body and prepare well....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I think McGregor and Gray only train 3 days. Darren certainly does a lot of his cardio work on the bike.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Whelan was quite well liked at villa from the majority of the support. Bit like bartley, wasnt needed against the smaller teams but a good player who does a job in the middle. About as much footballing ability as a tattie, but a great player for breaking it up and giving it to the better players.

Whelan is 36 in 4 days time.
    His race is run.
    Don't want to see Hibs with a player that age unless he is a goalkeeper or Ronaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I think McGregor and Gray only train 3 days. Darren certainly does a lot of his cardio work on the bike.
    It's not a problem if certain players are out on the training pitch more or less days than other but for squad harmony I don't think players XYZ can be at the training facility 4 days a week and then players ABC at them only 2 days a week and have players ABC on a relatively high wage and in the starting XI every week (unless it's some extraordinary player like the apparent terms Old Hun offered to Ronaldo back in the day. Remember that )

If certain players spend a higher % of their time at East Mains in the gym/bikes than others for whatever reason then that's fine.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Played for Ireland in the recent Euro 1-1 versus Denmark in Dublin so cannot be dug s#*t

Saw a tweet in which he said he only found out he wasn’t playing against us in the recent derby from a WhatsApp message

He described Hearts as being amateur

Who knew?

At his age it is a no from me same goes for Berra

Time to find new heroes and build a new team to compete at the top

No one said it was going to be easy
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-01-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Works for Dobbie.