hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

John McGinn value

Was having a look on transfermarkt, and I noticed SJM,

Link here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-mcginn/marktwertverlauf/spieler/193116

When we sold him to villa, they rated him at £1.58m. They now rate him at £18m. An incredible rise in 18 months. They’re fairly bad for undervaluing players too.

Think we’re gonna make a pretty sell on fee.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He is worth way more then 18 million.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is worth way more then 18 million.

50m

But worth diddly squat with a broken ankle

One for the back burner

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

50m

One for the back burner

Quite. All this chat is redundant until he is fully fit and playing again.

Then it is down to circumstance. I don’t believe McGinn will leave Villa if they stay up (that’s a big if, mind). If they go down, there may be a relegation clause in his fat new contract and he will be open to a move.

Then it is down to the market, and which clubs want to buy him.

If I was Ron Gordon, I certainly wouldn’t be counting any chickens yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

50m

One for the back burner
    Best thing to happen would be Villa now go on a losing run JMc comes back with 6 games to go. Villa then win 3 and draw three with JMc playing a starring role but Villa get relegated. They would be forced to sell him and Hibs get a pay out simples

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Quite. All this chat is redundant until he is fully fit and playing again.

Then it is down to circumstance. I don’t believe McGinn will leave Villa if they stay up (that’s a big if, mind). If they go down, there may be a relegation clause in his fat new contract and he will be open to a move.

Then it is down to the market, and which clubs want to buy him.

If I was Ron Gordon, I certainly wouldn’t be counting any chickens yet.
    I would agree far more likely to leave if they go down but I wouldn’t rule it out even if they stay up. Like at us, he’s a good lad and loyal to the club he plays for, however when a bigger move and deal is on the table, why won’t he turn it down?

And Celtic got 25 million for Tierney. 25 million for an injury prone youngster

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I would agree far more likely to leave if they go down but I wouldn’t rule it out even if they stay up. Like at us, he’s a good lad and loyal to the club he plays for, however when a bigger move and deal is on the table, why won’t he turn it down?

He signed a new contract with them at the beginning of this season. The Villans love him and he’s one of the first picks in the team.

If they stay up I think it’s unlikely he would push for a move. But we will see!

£30m all day long in the English market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Villa fans loved him in the championship last year and he started well this year but more than a few were not his biggest fan for the last few months.

Yes he has exceeded expectations big time but I think he's got a bit more to go to force a move, particularly now he has a major injury.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    As always, he's worth exactly what another club is willing to pay for him.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Villa fans loved him in the championship last year and he started well this year but more than a few were not his biggest fan for the last few months.

Yes he has exceeded expectations big time but I think he's got a bit more to go to force a move, particularly now he has a major injury.
    I think that's a fair summary. He started very brightly but was playing through an injury for a while (I think I read that) and wasn't as effective.

Hopefully he's back from injury sharp and can contribute to Villa staying up and in Scotland's qualifiers. I'm not convinced Villa will sell him this summer regardless of their final league position though - I'm also not sure if, as it stands, he's done enough to convince a big team to come in for him.
    Mon the Hibs.

Testimonial Due
    Remember that time Hearts thought Cardiff would sell CPaterson for £30m and they’d get £6m sell on fee?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocteautwin View Post
    Remember that time Hearts thought Cardiff would sell CPaterson for £30m and they’d get £6m sell on fee?

Now they are dumping their captain into the reserves with no explanation as they sit bottom of the league.

If Villa do go down they’ll have to sell players to avoid being punished for breaking the Championship’s spending rules.

I would guess at least one of McGinn or Grealish will go off that happens.

If McGinn gets sold, it will be for a lot more than £18 million. It would be more like £25-30 million.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If McGinn gets sold, it will be for a lot more than £18 million. It would be more like £25-30 million.
    If Aston Villa manage to stay up I think they could sell McGinn for double that

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar

Villa and hibs fan here, think the general thought amongst villa fans on McGinn is that he could pretty much slot into any team and do well, besides the weird 433 formation that Smith is playing. He was in general still the best of a bad bunch along with Grealish. After his injury villa looked considerably worse in the few games after until the formation was switched. Will need to sell at least 6 of the starting 11 if we go down, and McGinn is one unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    If Villa do go down they’ll have to sell players to avoid being punished for breaking the Championship’s spending rules.

I would guess at least one of McGinn or Grealish will go off that happens.

Grealish would bring in more

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    He signed a new contract with them at the beginning of this season. The Villans love him and he’s one of the first picks in the team.

If they stay up I think it’s unlikely he would push for a move. But we will see!
    I fully agree that he wouldn't be banging on doors trying to get out or anything like that. I just wouldn't be surprised if a big offer came in that Villa and him both ended up having to take.

Granted his recent injury probably makes that less likely now.

That’s not true. Villa fans believed he’d been playing injured for a few WEEKS prior to him doing his ankle- he was still seen as a key player.

He won’t force a move but plenty of teams will want him based on his form for the majority of the season. I have to say though that Jack Grealish will probably go first and it’ll be for an absolutely huge fee- he has been incredible for them after a slow start- pure class.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    That’s not true. Villa fans believed he’d been playing injured for a few WEEKS prior to him doing his ankle- he was still seen as a key player.

He won’t force a move but plenty of teams will want him based on his form for the majority of the season. I have to say though that Jack Grealish will probably go first and it’ll be for an absolutely huge fee- he has been incredible for them after a slow start- pure class.
    It's not untrue, take a look at the Villa forum back from before he was injured and you'll see what I mean. Know a few Villa fans myself and they all think the same.

Don't disagree about Grealish mind you, cracking player and excited to see what he does next.

I have a worry that McGinn's injury has come at the wrong time for him. Villa are under real threat of relegation and he'll be out until the final month or so of the season it looks like at best. I hope that someone's taken notice of him higher up the table but I don't think Villa will get any more than £20million for him if he does go and I doubt it'll be to a top 6 team sadly.

Doesn't help that all the attention will be on Jack Grealish now too.

Yes and I'm sure villa fans would agree

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I have a worry that McGinn's injury has come at the wrong time for him. Villa are under real threat of relegation and he'll be out until the final month or so of the season it looks like at best. I hope that someone's taken notice of him higher up the table but I don't think Villa will get any more than £20million for him if he does go and I doubt it'll be to a top 6 team sadly.

Yes that's a good point RE Grealish, him and McGinn both clicked really well. Perhaps without Grealish there McGinn will not look as good and price could drop...

This injury is looking more and more like a massive kick in the stones for both clubs financially

If he does get a move to a Man Utd or spurs, Villa won’t budge on anything less than £40 million. Realistically if they stay up they could be asking for bids considered only at £50 million plus.

Yes that's a good point RE Grealish, him and McGinn both clicked really well. Perhaps without Grealish there McGinn will not look as good and price could drop...

This injury is looking more and more like a massive kick in the stones for both clubs financially
    Or he may look even better when he is playing in a midfield full of good players instead of just the one.......

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post

£20 million is nothing down there. He has a big reputation regardless of whether his form had tailed off a bit before his injury. Honestly don’t think it’ll be anything less than £35 million and probably a bit more if he comes back playing like he was the first 12-14 games of the season.

Guessing Grealish will be valued at around £75 million now and until
    recently him and McGinn were held in fairly equal regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    £20 million is nothing down there. He has a big reputation regardless of whether his form had tailed off a bit before his injury. Honestly don’t think it’ll be anything less than £35 million and probably a bit more if he comes back playing like he was the first 12-14 games of the season.

Guessing Grealish will be valued at around £75 million now and until
    recently him and McGinn were held in fairly equal regard.

Money is stupid at the top level but I don't really see those type of figures being thrown around for two players that could realistically be playing against Wycombe Wanderers in the Championship in 8 months for a club that will be in real trouble financially with possible fire sales if they go down again. It's probably more realistic that Grealish, despite having zero England caps, is probably valued nearer the £40m and John McGinn a little over half that tops.

We know John McGinn is a class act. But how many clubs have been promoted to the Premiership, had a fantastic player tipped to go for big money, only for them to really just be an average bottom half player?

Charlie Adam's season with Blackpool in the Premiership hits a lot of the same notes as this situation, in fact Adam had an even better season and didn't get an injury the made him miss nearly half the season. He was linked with all the same clubs that McGinn was before his injury and ended up moving to a mid table Liverpool side for a fraction of the price it was quoted to be in the press before being found out.

I do think McGinn is a better natural player and has a better attitude than Adam of course, should he ever get that type of move (say at an Arsenal or Man Utd compared to Adam's Liverpool) then he will do more than Adam ever did at Anfield imo but I just don't see where the dots line up for him being a £40/50 million player at this point.

I hope I'm wrong, I just think maybe if he didn't get that injury it would be more likely. The best thing he/we can probably hope for now is that Villa stay up this season, possibly through McGinn coming back as a breath of fresh air in the run-in before having an absolute blistering season as their main man next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Who told you this?