hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Kilmarnock memories

As we head back to league football at Rugby Park this weekend- do you guys have any favourite Rugby Park memories??

One that always stands out for me was Tam McManus late header to get us through in the cup ...in my mind Tam is soaring well above everyone to head the winner in...great support that day , felt like we filled the entire end..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As we head back to league football at Rugby Park this weekend- do you guys have any favourite Rugby Park memories??

One that always stands out for me was Tam McManus late header to get us through in the cup ...in my mind Tam is soaring well above everyone to head the winner in...great support that day , felt like we filled the entire end..
    Similar was the sparky hat trick game in 2013. Incredible support. Quit enjoy going to killie to be honest although we are crap about 80% of games there

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Been twice - terrible defeat near the end of Yogi's tenure in the League Cup and that amazing quarter final in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

That was some day. Don't remember much about the game apart from the winner was very late.

Remember rugby park being our last game of the relegation season and them playing we'll meet again. Think pat mcginlay scored in a 1-1 draw.

The other one that sticks out was a 2-2 draw, which I think was the game where boozy injured himself badly. Some ex killie player came out at half time and gave us some light hearted stick, he was then drowned out by what felt like a full stand singing for the next 10 minutes. Was grand following that mogga team at times.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Similar was the sparky hat trick game in 2013. Incredible support. Quit enjoy going to killie to be honest although we are crap about 80% of games there
    First game I thought of the place was bouncing.

0-3 when Clarke wasn't long there was good as they could've scored a few.

I've not been there for years.

The last time I remember going to Rugby Park was with my youngest brother who has hardly been to any games, ever.

It was some time around Christmas, Colin Nish was playing for them. He had an absolute stormer and scored the only goal in a 1-0 win for them. I remember stating that he was exactly what we were screaming out for at that time - and only a few weeks later he joined us.

On his day he could be outstanding but on too many other occasions he was more than a little bit frustrating.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    25/10/1997

Got there early with my mate.

Got chatting to a Steward behind the main stand.

He let us into the Killie Bar under the stand

Scarfs up the jooks

Great pies

Game not so good

1-2 defeat

Kevin Harper got sent off and Bjarni Larrasson came on to score a late consolation on his debut

Too little too late
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 11-09-2019 at 03:43 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The 3-0 win under Lennon. **** knows how we didn’t concede that night, think it was Clarke’s first game in charge at Killie.

As another poster said the 2013 Scottish Cup QF was brilliant. Stand behind the goal rammed full of Hibs fans. Remember Griffiths being out on his feet but still chasing everything. Brilliant performance. Looked shattered when he was eventually subbed off.

My last game as a single man, 14th February 2009. Drew 1-1 with a deflected Riordan volley. The Monk and Hogg played silly buggers with the ball at the back, not once but twice in quick succession.
    The latter time very nearly resulted in a goal for them and prompted me to unleash a volley of uncharacteristically coarse abuse that was caught on camera by my visiting Canadian friend, who was also - by the length of Easter Road - the most attractive person in the away stand.

That, and the "Homecoming" pies with haggis that were an absolute revelation.

First Team Breakthrough
    First memory was in the early to mid 70's. Remember we were winning 1-0 (can't remember who scored) and they got a late headed equaliser
    by a guy called Dereck McDicken?. The old Rugby Park was a magnificent ground with an awesome playing surface,and huge pitch. At the time better than ER IMO

Next time was on run to 91 LC final and leaving thinking maybe just maybe. Ayrshire was good for us that year.

I think I must have had about 5 or 6 trips there before seeing us win, it became known as my curse.

It's why the song "Joyful Kilmarnock Blues" by the Proclaimers is close to my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    One of my favourite ever Hibs games.

Last 16 of the 1991 League Cup and a 3-2 victory. Hibs down to 10 men I think (cant recall who was sent off) but Keef Keef Keef saved the day.

Beating them 4-2. A jorge claros masterclass. Some celebrations when griffiths put us 3-2 up

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    That was some day. Don't remember much about the game apart from the winner was very late.

Remember rugby park being our last game of the relegation season and them playing we'll meet again. Think pat mcginlay scored in a 1-1 draw.

The other one that sticks out was a 2-2 draw, which I think was the game where boozy injured himself badly. Some ex killie player came out at half time and gave us some light hearted stick, he was then drowned out by what felt like a full stand singing for the next 10 minutes. Was grand following that mogga team at times.
    The last game of the season through there 98 relegation
    Last minute goal from Stevie Crawford to end 1.1
    We were down before the game but Killie went into Europe under Williamson
    Pat Nevin played that day for Killie and they had Gordon Marshall in goals
    I remember singing We’ll meet again and we had a fair number through
    It could only get worse if Hearts managed to beat the H**s in the Cup Final a few weeks later ☹️

Left by mutual consent!
    Roy O'Donovan scoring an absolute screamer.

Left by mutual consent!
    The Scottish Cup Quarters both amazing games. Worst game was losing 6-2 to them grand national day around 2002.

Steven Thicot making his debut on the opening day of the season (I think) he played 45 mins and was taken off with an injury, I boldly predicted after having seen 45 mins of him play that he'd go on to be a Hibs legend, lol...

@hibs.net private member
    I have to confess to saying to my mate, when Boozy went down injured down at Killie - that he wasn’t that bad - he should get up and carry on ....think he was out for about 8 months with a cruciate ligament injury !!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Roy O'Donovan scoring an absolute screamer.
    Was that not also the game Tom Soares scored twice ?? Might be misremembering

Last season. Possibly the worst performance from a Hibs team I've seen and I've seen a few. Floodlights going off and being gutted when they came back on.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

was at the 2-2 game sure it was around xmas time. Remember boozy getting done with a block tackle and you could see it was a bad one .think Gary O’Connor scored the 2nd goal a cracker into top corner. Also was this the game that zibby got sent off
    Last edited by eastterrace; 11-09-2019 at 08:44 AM. Reason: missed out something

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    R was at the 2-2 game sure it was around xmas time. Remember boozy getting done with a block tackle and you could see it was a bad one .think Gary O’Connor scored the 2nd goal a cracker into top corner. Also was this the game that zibby got sent off
    Some old hearts player equalised in injury time. Was just after new year. Think we played hearts at Tynie a week or so later.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Last season. Possibly the worst performance from a Hibs team I've seen and I've seen a few. Floodlights going off and being gutted when they came back on.
    I think the whole away end was praying for them to stay off. Shame they got fixed as we were absolutely rank that day despite being the bookies favourites to take all 3 points

Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    Steven Thicot making his debut on the opening day of the season (I think) he played 45 mins and was taken off with an injury, I boldly predicted after having seen 45 mins of him play that he'd go on to be a Hibs legend, lol...
    was his (friendly) debut not against Barcelona?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Dylan Kerr getting dogs abuse from the Hibs fans at half time was hilarious. Drew 1-1 I think, Chris Hogg equaliser.

Horsed 4-1 under calderwood. Got there late and we were already 1 down. Saw Goc score a beautiful goal then proceed to get hammered for the rest of the game. The mythical phil airey came on but was never seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    Horsed 4-1 under calderwood. Got there late and we were already 1 down. Saw Goc score a beautiful goal then proceed to get hammered for the rest of the game. The mythical phil airey came on but was never seen again.
    That was one of the most dreadful performances i can remember from a hibs side. Genuinely pathetic. Either sean o'hanlon or david stephens put in one of the worst performances i could remember from a centre back. Cant remember which one as i had wiped the game from memory until then.

Sure we lost 2-0 at tynie a week later. Griffiths hibs debut in his first spell. How calderwood survived that August ill never know.