hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Alan Stubbs

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was his remit to be promoted when he took over a shambles with rangers and hearts in the league? If it wasn’t then you can’t possibly say he failed.

The following season I don’t even think the board expected him to win the league with rangers in it. So again you can’t say he failed what was expected of him.

In fact, he signed a new improved two year contract the season before we won the Scottish Cup, hardly an indication that the board of Hibernian though he was failing in the job, is it?
    Absolutely his remit was to get promoted. Hearts were in a bigger shambles than us due to Administration and the Huns were also in disarray

We all love Stubbs but he failed twice in his primary objection.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Absolutely his remit was to get promoted. Hearts were in a bigger shambles than us due to Administration and the Huns were also in disarray

Thats not really how I remember it. Hearts were a shambles the year before in the Premier. But by the time the Championship started they had a decent young team who had played together loads and they simply hit the ground running. We on the other hand had ripped it up and started again, pretty much a completely new team. As for Rangers, their budget absolutely blitzed ours.

Was his remit to be promoted when he took over a shambles with rangers and hearts in the league? If it wasn’t then you can’t possibly say he failed.

The following season I don’t even think the board expected him to win the league with rangers in it. So again you can’t say he failed what was expected of him.

In fact, he signed a new improved two year contract the season before we won the Scottish Cup, hardly an indication that the board of Hibernian though he was failing in the job, is it?
    If you think Stubbs was not under pressure in his final season you are wrong. From February to April Played 7 lost to Alloa, Morton, Dumbarton, Queen of the South and Raith. Drew with St Mirren and Beat Livingstion. Did the Board expect him to finish third ? Believe me he was under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Wouldnt waste your time. He will completely ignore everything you will say. As far as he is concerned no promotion = failure. No other factors matter. Our Cup Winning manager is a failure
    If you took the time to read my post I have nothing but praise for "Our cup winning managers" historic achievement however his overall record at Hibs and his highlighted failures since leaving in now way suggests he deserves another shot at being our manager.

P.S. it apears you are completly ignoring what I say it is bit like Hearts fans comfort of 5-1 nothing else matters - Stubbs won the cup nothing else matters.
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 14-08-2019 at 12:21 PM.

It's the year 2040 and the two top threads are still about Neil Lennon and Alan Stubbs.

They weren't. Hearts had 6 months to prepare for the Championship. Bled younger players and trimmed squad of high earners. They hit the ground running whilst we were still reeling from relegation and had about 3 players when Stubbs rolled up.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    If you think Stubbs was not under pressure in his final season you are wrong. From February to April Played 7 lost to Alloa, Morton, Dumbarton, Queen of the South and Raith. Drew with St Mirren and Beat Livingstion. Did the Board expect him to finish third ? Believe me he was under pressure.

If you took the time to read my post I have nothing but praise for "Our cup winning managers" historic achievement however his overall record at Hibs and his highlighted failures since leaving in now way suggests he deserves another shot at being our manager.

P.S. it apears you are completly ignoring what I say it is bit like Hearts fans comfort of 5-1 nothing else matters - Stubbs won the cup nothing else matters.
    Nobody is saying that either, they are saying that the sheer amount of games that piled up due to his successes in the cup plus key injuries meant that we were running on fumes for that entire run.

How would you have managed the issues with fatigue differently?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

If you think Stubbs was not under pressure in his final season you are wrong. From February to April Played 7 lost to Alloa, Morton, Dumbarton, Queen of the South and Raith. Drew with St Mirren and Beat Livingstion. Believe me he was under pressure.

Holy s*it. I have made a huge point of bringing up ALL the other things which I believe make him a success. You know, things like getting to both cup finals, rebuilding the team, bringing crowds back, playing great football, signing some great players etc etc. Where on earth have I said its all about the Scottish Cup?? My whole point was that its NOT all about the cup win.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Nobody is saying that either, they are saying that the sheer amount of games that piled up due to his successes in the cup plus key injuries meant that we were running on fumes for that entire run.

Alloa, Morton, Dumbarton, Queen of the South and Raith.

Fatigue is a good excuse as any I suppose.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    They weren't. Hearts had 6 months to prepare for the Championship. Bled younger players and trimmed squad of high earners. They hit the ground running whilst we were still reeling from relegation and had about 3 players when Stubbs rolled up.
    Love when someone drops this **** in a Stubbs thread.

As if the team that hearts started that season in the championship with wasn’t made up of about 9/10 new signings.

Don’t let facts get in the way though.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Alloa, Morton, Dumbarton, Queen of the South and Raith.

Fatigue is a good excuse as any I suppose.
    Starting in February? Would those teams be fresh would they have big squads

Left by mutual consent!

No it wasn’t, otherwise he wouldn’t have had his contract extended.

Hearts had a settled core of youngsters, they also had Levein and Neilson coming in having just been bought over, Levein had plans in place for months! we had just been relegated through the playoffs and most our squad was being punted. Rangers had just been promoted and had far more money to spend. Stubbs had to build a completely new team and pick the club off the floor after relegation. Now way they would have been told their remit was to win that league.

No it wasn’t, otherwise he wouldn’t have had his contract extended.

Hearts had a settled core of youngsters, they also had Levein and Neilson coming in having just been bought over, Levein had plans in place for months! we had just been relegated through the playoffs and most our squad was being punted. Rangers had just been promoted and had far more money to spend. Stubbs had to build a completely new team and pick the club off the floor after relegation. Now way they would have been told their remit was to win that league.
    Yip. Hearts knew from about February time that they were going to be relegated and started putting on place plans months ahead of the new season.

We on the other hand went into free fall and never really expected to go down , when it eventually happened the club was in a terrible state.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    It's the year 2040 and the two top threads are still about Neil Lennon and Alan Stubbs.

Correct, though I plumped for the year 2035 in my post elsewhere.

Stubbs failed twice to get us promoted though, regardless of the reasons/excuses, just saying.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

As if the team that hearts started that season in the championship with wasn’t made up of about 9/10 new signings.

They did. But the core of their side was in place then you include Busben and Gomis (two players Levein had for years) and an experienced goalie who supported them and they where good to go. Patterson, Walker, Holt, King, Wilson, Nicholson all played loads for them that season as did Gomis Alexander and Bauben. We had no such core and a squad to begin with that everyone wanted punted. We had no choice but to rely of Craig and Scott Robertson in that season, Jordan Forster, Boothy, Danny Handling, Sam Stanton all others that played simply not good enough. Stubbs came into Hibs at the end of June 2014, Levein and Neilson went into hearts the start of May.

Stubbs faced a very difficult task in his first season. It was a perfect storm with Hearts rejuvinated after Administration and able to clear out their dead wood and give youngsters games under no real pressure. Then add in Rangers coming up and one or two promotion spots available.

Stubbs had to build a team, almost from scratch. He managed to steer Hibs to second place but lost narrowly in the play-offs to Rangers. I remain unsure if Hibs would have fared any better in the play-off final than Rangers did.

That left a difficult second attempt at promotion with Rangers still around and again only or or two slots. Stubbs built a good cup team that proved capable of beating the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United, St Johnston and Rangers and come very close to a domestic cup double.

The team were inconsistent in the League losing far too many matches to the likes of Dumbarton and Alloa. Hibs missed out on second place to Falkirk on goal difference and hence had to play an extra two-legged play-off against Raith Rovers before taking on Falkirk. That contributed to the defeat in the semi-final of the play-offs far more than the cup exploits.

The League Cup was long gone by the time of the run-in and I am not convinced that the Scottish Cup run had any adverse impact on promotion. No-one knows what would have happened if Hibs had beaten Falkirk and gone on to face Killie in the Premiership play-off final. There is no certainty as to when the matches would have been played around the cup final.

Could Hibs have gone on to win promotion after the boost from the Scottish Cup win? Or would the play-off have cost Hibs the Cup?

Anyway, I don't hold Stubbs responsible for failing to win promotion but I didn't like him to see him walking away with the job half done. His subsequent failures in management maybe indicates that he is not cut out as a front line manager?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Correct, though I plumped for the year 2035 in my post elsewhere.

Stubbs failed twice to get us promoted though, regardless of the reasons/excuses, just saying.
    Lennon and all other managers have failed to win us the Scottish cup or all failed to win us the Scottish Premiership, regardless of the reasons/excuses/how realistic it is/was.

Groundhog Day reading this thread

I am not a football manager and dont have those skills so I would not know however that is what Stubbs and his team were paid to do.

It may have been impossible I dont know what I do know is no one gives a **** it is all about end results and players, managers whole football clubs live and die on results.

I would like to ask you looking at Stubbs overall record at Hibs and then beyond what makes you think it would be worth Hibs giving him a chance to manage at a higher level now than when he left?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

The problem wasn't the new players, it was the sheer length of time we took to get ANY new faces in the door.

By the time we made our first signing of the summer (Gray) Hearts had made 4. We'd made 5 signings before the first league game of the season, they'd made 8. Our squad clearly wasn't ready (hence us only really getting going by October, when it was already too late), theirs was settled.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I am not a football manager and dont have those skills so I would not know however that is what Stubbs and his team were paid to do.

It may have been impossible I dont know what I do know is no one gives a **** it is all about end results and players, managers whole football clubs live and die on results.

I would like to ask you looking at Stubbs overall record at Hibs and then beyond what makes you think it would be worth Hibs giving him a chance to manage at a higher level now than when he left?
    1 - Two cup finals, one cup victory
    2 - Excellent recruitment of young hungry players who are earning or have earned this club a fair profit in initial investment
    3 - Attractive football
    4 - Conduct befitting of a Hibs manager that lead to dressing room morale increasing
    5 - Results such as the 4-0 win against Rangers, 2-0 against SPL leading Aberdeen etc.

You’re getting hung up on something you concede may not have been possible for him to achieve. Stubbs left Hibs in a much better place than when he arrived, you can’t say the same about Lennon.

I also didn’t say that I want him back but if he were to come back there are plenty reasons why he should be considered.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Lennon and all other managers have failed to win us the Scottish cup or all failed to win us the Scottish Premiership, regardless of the reasons/excuses/how realistic it is/was.
    None of that changes the fact that Stubbs failed to get us promoted out of the Championship. Twice.

Left by mutual consent!
    None of that changes the fact that Stubbs failed to get us promoted out of the Championship. Twice.
    Shouldn’t have finished below or lose to that Falkirk team over 2 legs with the squad that we had

1 - Two cup finals, one cup victory
    2 - Excellent recruitment of young hungry players who are earning or have earned this club a fair profit in initial investment
    3 - Attractive football
    4 - Conduct befitting of a Hibs manager that lead to dressing room morale increasing
    5 - Results such as the 4-0 win against Rangers, 2-0 against SPL leading Aberdeen etc.

You’re getting hung up on something you concede may not have been possible for him to achieve. Stubbs left Hibs in a much better place than when he arrived, you can’t say the same about Lennon.

I also didn’t say that I want him back but if he were to come back there are plenty reasons why he should be considered.
    good post..

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: nervous_pee
    I'd have stubbs back in a heartbeat, even discounting the cup final win,

there was a bit of hope,

a sense that we were heading in the right direction on the park, a joy to watch on many occasions.

He can spot and attract, to the club, a far higher calibre of player than PH

PH honestly reminds me of ian cathro, who wanted to play a very similar type of football, thats how i think this will go...

...eye bleeding football that wont work, he wont or cant change it, in the meantime can someone please get their calculator out and

deduct 5000 from 17000 cause if we keep this clown thats where i see our attendances heading under this guy
    Last edited by Nemo; 02-09-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Alloa had not won a game at home for a year when they beat us !

Yes but they were up against Hearts and Rangers, both on vastly bigger budgets in the first season and against Rangers the second time. The play-off system is heavily weighted against the Champions sides. Only Hibs and Partick have been relegated since this came in.

@hibs.net private member

Your right. Scott Allan has been rubbish expect at Hibs. He failed at West Brom, Celtic, Rotherham, Portsmouth, MK Dons and Birmingham. Why did we bother getting him back? Presumably you want rid given his terrible record outside his time with us?

This is revisionist nonsense. Hibs were third favourites and then second favourites to win the Championship in Stubbs' two seasons.

This is becoming some sort of obsessive mantra for the Stubbs detractors now. Never mind how utterly devoid of context it is, they'll keep repeating it. Pathetic behaviour.

I have looked at his record and noted he has the highest win % of any Hibs manager in history other than Jock Stein who was in the job for half the games Stubbs was.