hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Junk food.

Junk food.

Now I know its not good for you and I do most of the time have a good diet but every now and again I enjoy some junk food,so what everbodys favourite?

I personally love the wee frozen Chicago Town deep dish pizzas the pepperoni ones especially.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I love a McDonald’s every once in a while.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    We're taking our daughters (10 & 14) across to Scotland for the first time next week where they'll be introduced to the delights/horrors of a proper fish supper.

I'll have one too, purely out of solidarity of course.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Stopped off for fish and chips in Biggar on the way home from the St Mirren game last week.

Bit naughty but very nice.

Cant eat Macdonalds make me feel sick every time I've tried it, fortunately Having said that still enjoy a keebab once every blue moon after a few bevvies.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I never eat Kebabs, Macdonald's or KYC etc, but I don't count fish and chips as fast food. Even pizza is on the cusp and Pizza Express is almost health food!.

Mind you, that probably explains a lot.

I've eaten 3 Crispy Creme doughnuts within the past 24 hours.

When they pitched up in Scotland I wondered what all the fuss was about as I've never really been that mad on doughnuts. I never buy them but if they're around I devour them. Folk always seem to buy huge multi boxes of them with more than are required and that for me is fatal.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Subway, Steak and Cheese on Italian bread with red onion, gherkins, jalapeños, lettuce, chipotle or chilli sauce is my go to junk food fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've eaten 3 Crispy Creme doughnuts within the past 24 hours.

When they pitched up in Scotland I wondered what all the fuss was about as I've never really been that mad on doughnuts. I never buy them but if they're around I devour them. Folk always seem to buy huge multi boxes of them with more than are required and that for me is fatal.
    It's only a matter of time before someone deep fries them lol

Fish and chips isn't a junk food and done properly is just wonderful.

I should have had a kebab tonight, a monthly treat, but I didn't really feel like one and as it's a treat needs to be savoured.
    Space to let

Im doner pizzas oot ma heid 😆

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    I love a McDonald’s every once in a while.
    Me too, some of their American taste burgers are awesome.

A jumbo haggis supper from the chippy, a doner kebab and the odd McDonald's are my guilty pleasures.

As an odd treat I don't have any issue with junk and convenience food, it's when people have it as a staple diet that it's a problem.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    My local Chinese takeaway has been making deep fried spring rolls but with the middle filled with Nutella rather than chicken or vegetables. They are very popular it seems.

Surprised no one has mentioned deep fried chocolate bars yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned deep fried chocolate bars yet.
    I once tried a deep fried twix, it was very good 👍

I don’t consider fish and chips junk food either, done well it is a fantastic meal, with a good batter the fish is actually cooked by the heat/steam created within the batter and is fantastic. I have made black bean chicken for tonight but the thought of fish and chips may change my mind. 😁

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Haggis supper with salt & sauce.

If you put a bit haggis, some of the batter & some chips on a heavily buttered roll then you’ve got yourself some absolutely top notch cuisine.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's only a matter of time before someone deep fries them lol
    Erm, the donut is normally deep fried (the Krispy Kreme assembly line @ Hermiston gait is mesmerising).
    If you're talking about doing it in batter before frying then I'm sure there's something in NY that already does something similar.
    If the Yanks can find a way to increase the calories in an already high calorific foodstuff, then they usually will!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Currywurst and chips smothered in mayonnaisome and chilli diced onions to add fuel to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Erm, the donut is normally deep fried (the Krispy Kreme assembly line @ Hermiston gait is mesmerising).
    If you're talking about doing it in batter before frying then I'm sure there's something in NY that already does something similar.
    If the Yanks can find a way to increase the calories in an already high calorific foodstuff, then they usually will!
    Yeah :-)

My friends and I have recently been discussing the merits of a crunchy pizza. Yuck!

Between that and the deep fried Mars bar my thinking was along the lines of a Kruchy Krispy Kreme!
    Space to let

Give me crispy fried party food any day! Samosa's, pakora or spring rolls. With a bunch of dipping sauces to choose from

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Margarita pizza. I like toppings on a pizza aswell but a margarita pizza leaves nowhere to hide, it needs to be good. You can mask a crap pizza by piling toppings on it.

Although in saying that, even bad pizza is good .

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Subway, Steak and Cheese on Italian bread with red onion, gherkins, jalapeños, lettuce, chipotle or chilli sauce is my go to junk food fix.
    Is subway junk food? Oops...

Italian BMT on Herbs&Cheese, onion, lettuce, peppers, jalapenos, with chipotle sauce.

I'd recommend the app if you don't already use it. I've had about half a dozen free subs this year without going to subway particular often.

As for actual junk food: Red pudding supper from the chippy if I'm in Fife. Otherwise, I'm a sucker for a spicy and meaty pizza. Not even necessarily a takeaway pizza, they're such an easy dinner to throw in the oven and munch on over a few hours hot or cold.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Is subway junk food? Oops...

Italian BMT on Herbs&Cheese, onion, lettuce, peppers, jalapenos, with chipotle sauce.

I'd recommend the app if you don't already use it. I've had about half a dozen free subs this year without going to subway particular often.

As for actual junk food: Red pudding supper from the chippy if I'm in Fife. Otherwise, I'm a sucker for a spicy and meaty pizza. Not even necessarily a takeaway pizza, they're such an easy dinner to throw in the oven and munch on over a few hours hot or cold.
    Is it not the sauces in Subway that are really, really bad for you? Sure I read somewhere about folk buying the salads from there trying to be healthy but then covering it in a sauce and it adding like 1000 calories lol. That can't be right though.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Is it not the sauces in Subway that are really, really bad for you? Sure I read somewhere about folk buying the salads from there trying to be healthy but then covering it in a sauce and it adding like 1000 calories lol. That can't be right though.
    Sauces generally are quite bad for you I think so you're probably right that it's the sauce, even if your calorie count is a little off.

I quickly looked it up and the general rule of thumb seems to be 100 calories for a squeeze of the sauce. The BMT itself is 410. Cheese is another 60. So 600+ calories for a small subway, 1200 for the footlong. Not ridiculously high numbers I guess.
    Mon the Hibs.