hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar

Dundee Utd = Idiot

Scottish football gets to the strangest places.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/artic...d-b10336e2118e

Apparently in the Yoruba speaking part of Nigeria the phrase "Dundee United" is a synonym for "Idiot". According to the author of this BBC article it comes from when Dundee United toured the country in the 70's, were rubbish (so no real change over the decades), and spent the whole time complaining about the heat and the state of the local pitches.

Obviously we all also know that in some African dialects the word Jambo means "Hello", "Please put back that charity tin" and "Hoof!" depending on the context.

I wonder how else Scottish football has made its mark in world culture?

I know there is some story about Hibs being one of the first football clubs to have been mentioned in the United Nations debating Chamber? Presumably an inquiry about whether the way hertz were treated at the 7-0 game was a breach of the Geneva Conventions?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Is jambo not Swahili for hello and Scottish for Sh**e

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is jambo not Swahili for hello and Scottish for Sh**e

First one is definitely correct.

The second one is absolute nonsense. Do you actually say ‘that’s a lot of jambo’?

Why do folk say things like this?

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    Scottish football gets to the strangest places.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/artic...d-b10336e2118e

Apparently in the Yoruba speaking part of Nigeria the phrase "Dundee United" is a synonym for "Idiot". According to the author of this BBC article it comes from when Dundee United toured the country in the 70's, were rubbish (so no real change over the decades), and spent the whole time complaining about the heat and the state of the local pitches.

Obviously we all also know that in some African dialects the word Jambo means "Hello", "Please put back that charity tin" and "Hoof!" depending on the context.

I wonder how else Scottish football has made its mark in world culture?

I know there is some story about Hibs being one of the first football clubs to have been mentioned in the United Nations debating Chamber? Presumably an inquiry about whether the way hertz were treated at the 7-0 game was a breach of the Geneva Conventions?
    Apart from the 80s when they won the league and beat the likes of Barcelona at the Camp Nou and more?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post

The second one is absolute nonsense. Do you actually say ‘that’s a lot of jambo’?

No off course I don't, it's humour on a football message board

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Hibs tour of Brazil in 1953 was responsible for their World Cup winning team of 1970 and that teams swashbuckling style of football in particular. Fact.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    No off course I don't, it's humour on a football message board
    Lucy is very serious, don't take it personally

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    Apart from the 80s when they won the league and beat the likes of Barcelona at the Camp Nou and more?
    Oh sorry I hadn't realised I'd logged into tangerineterrors.net I'll change my bookmark. To be honest I couldn't care less about Dundee United's faded glories - when I think of them the main things that pop into my head are their greeting faces when Matty jack showed them how to properly interpret the rules around returning the ball, especially after a team full of timewasters have knocked it out of play for an 'injury'. And to a lesser extent their delight in relegating us for the first 'Great Adventure' I suppose

Dundee United = a lot worse than idiot in my own personal version of the Yoruba language I'm afraid.

Lionel ritchie

Left by mutual consent!

Wow

Oh sorry I hadn't realised I'd logged into tangerineterrors.net I'll change my bookmark. To be honest I couldn't care less about Dundee United's faded glories - when I think of them the main things that pop especially after a team full of timewasters have knocked it out of play for an 'injury'. And to a lesser extent their delight in relegating us for the first 'Great Adventure' I suppose

Dundee United = a lot worse than idiot in my own personal version of the Yoruba language I'm afraid.
    Yeah, was at the game and it was such along time ago and TBH you should be moving on.... In the grander scheme of things it wasn't that huge.

As for your question, yes I do say I am going to give birth to a jambo whenever I go for a tom-tit

Whoa there Lucy, lighten up ffs. It is only a wee bit of fun. Jeez some folk take things far too seriously.
    Last edited by Franck Stanton; 22-06-2019 at 10:48 PM.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Brilliant Lucy!

It’s amazing how you reel them in.

You’re de man.

Oh sorry I hadn't realised I'd logged into tangerineterrors.net I'll change my bookmark. To be honest I couldn't care less about Dundee United's faded glories - when I think of them the main things that pop into my head are their greeting faces when Matty jack showed them how to properly interpret the rules around returning the ball, especially after a team full of timewasters have knocked it out of play for an 'injury'. And to a lesser extent their delight in relegating us for the first 'Great Adventure' I suppose

“Delight in relegating us”, you mean their delight in staying up? It was them or us going down, how dare they celebrate!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    Lionel ritchie
    This. All night long.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    “Delight in relegating us”, you mean their delight in staying up? It was them or us going down, how dare they celebrate!!!
    Motherwell was second bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    Yeah, was at the game and it was such along time ago and TBH you should be moving on.... In the grander scheme of things it wasn't that huge.
    No I'm afraid it fills my every waking hour with an equal mixture of joy and fury - jofury maybe? or fujoy? (I wonder if they mean anything in Yoruba?) I'm going to have it playing on huge screens throughout the ceremony when I get married and I've already told the mrs that our first born will be named Alan Combe's Greetin Coupon - even if its a girl. I've also started a campaign to have the colour orange removed from the rainbow and I've written to the council about banning sand. I'll poison their jam and boycott their journalism and if I ever find out what Jute is I'll sabotage that too. I've already stopped reading the Beano.

Are there any other Scottish football teams I should avoid belittling on here? I've got strong views on both Aberdeen and Caley Thistle I'm afraid - though I've always had a soft spot for Cowdenbeath if it helps?

Blog Entries

Methinks Lucy talks a load of jambo.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Motherwell was second bottom.
    If we won, Utd would have had to beat Rangers in their last game to stay up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    If we won, Utd would have had to beat Rangers in their last game to stay up.
    It might be the wine, but they finished 7 points ahead of us mate. If we won we are on 33 them on 34 as they lost to the huns. They where safe the week before and too great delight in us going down. They where never in trouble because of goal difference too. I went to the game and never thought they where in trouble of going down.
    Last edited by The 90+2; 22-06-2019 at 11:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Not a big Arabs fan by any stretch of the imagination but anyone that lived through the eighties will tell you that the New Firm Aberdeen and Dundee United blew the Old Firm away

Dundee Utd winning the SPL and getting to a EUFA Cup Final

Aberdeen won the ECWC and loads more under Fergie

Dundee Utd relegated us late nineties but we had no one to blame but ourselves

They sang in the Changing Rooms at Tannadice when they defeated Neil Lennons HIBS that Christmas but he who laughs last laughs laughs laughs!

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

The second is 100% true

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

Sh*te is an adjective as well as a noun and verb. 'That's a lot of jambo' would be rare but 'sh*te style of football' and 'jambo style of football' are synonymous and commonplace.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Lighten up

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jabis View Post
    Methinks Lucy talks a load of jambo.

Jambo is a qualifier.

Not just *****, but utter *****.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    It might be the wine, but they finished 7 points ahead of us mate. If we won we are on 33 them on 34 as they lost to the huns. They where safe the week before and too great delight in us going down. They where never in trouble because of goal difference too. I went to the game and never thought they where in trouble of going down.
    Yeah but if they lost v us and then we beat (Killie I think) in last game then they would have went down. So it was a huge game for them. Anyway, hardly matters now!! :)

No I'm afraid it fills my every waking hour with an equal mixture of joy and fury - jofury maybe? or fujoy? (I wonder if they mean anything in Yoruba?) I'm going to have it playing on huge screens throughout the ceremony when I get married and I've already told the mrs that our first born will be named Alan Combe's Greetin Coupon - even if its a girl. I've also started a campaign to have the colour orange removed from the rainbow and I've written to the council about banning sand. I'll poison their jam and boycott their journalism and if I ever find out what Jute is I'll sabotage that too. I've already stopped reading the Beano.

Are there any other Scottish football teams I should avoid belittling on here? I've got strong views on both Aberdeen and Caley Thistle I'm afraid - though I've always had a soft spot for Cowdenbeath if it helps?
    Was it drugs alcohol or both when typing that?

I think it generally works on people that didn't have a sense of humour bypass.