hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got to agree, also without the connection to Hibs in their lyrics would many bother.

To those cheering them on enjoy your Hibs themed day.
    I think that's doing them a disservice. Over the years there have been plenty of local bands with Hibs connections and Hibs related songs but they haven't had the same success as the Proclaimers.

As for their music, I'm a fan but I understand why they won't be everyone's cup of tea.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Another doll troll lol
    Aye. Who was the one that hated Paul Hanlon again? Think they changed their user name a few times after?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    Got to agree, also without the connection to Hibs in their lyrics would many bother.

To those cheering them on enjoy your Hibs themed day.
    That tells me you don't know their body of work....the Hibs " theme" of their Edinburgh gigs are a small part, and by far my least favourite reason for going....history will recognise their writing and harmonies as classics...they are amongst the best of their generation...they work hard and the musicality of their gigs is tight and incredibly professional....worthy of respect as top scottish musicians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel sorry for the Reid brothers as songwriters and artists.
    Let me explain.

They have written a lot of great songs but 95% of the folk that go to their gigs couldn't name 10 Proclaimers songs.
    The same 95% at the gigs couldn't name 3 songs they have released since 2002.

Their Hibs connection including "Sunshine On Leith" guarantees them sell out gigs to Hibs fans and their families, ex pats etc, football fans etc which is great for them financially.
    However, that singalong populist audience are not interested in art or music beyond the songs they have heard hundreds of times.
    Sadly The Proclaimers are now in the Scottish showbiz box with Rod Stewart and are dead to people who love music.
    Tin hat on.

On a positive note, enjoy the Melrose gig today in the certainty that it will be much better than the upcoming Edinburgh Castle date.
    The general rule is. Small venue great. Big venue not nearly so good. Big outside venue, bad. Big outside venue before darkness, very bad.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I couldn’t name 1 song the Rolling Stones have issued since 1992.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Not seen The Proclaimers for years but always put on a good show.

Now The Stones are still head and shoulders above most bands live their desire and enthusiasm to perform is second to none.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I couldn’t name 1 song the Rolling Stones have issued since 1992.
    Neither could they

First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    I’m in Melrose today for the proclaimers gig and I can assure anyone who thinks they are solely promoted and loved by only Hibs fans is wrong. Yes there’s a few Hibs fans down here. In fact there’s probably hundreds but the majority of the pubs are heaving with non football linked proclaimers fans. Yes I’m Hibs mad and I do probably have an allegiance to the procs via Hibs. But go to a concert and you will see that they are supported by mostly Scots who love there music.

Ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Neither could they
    😂 definitely not Keith Richards. He still thinks it's the early 60's and Hearts have recently won the league cup

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    I went to see Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music at the Playhouse in the late 70’s and it was superb. Guy I used to work with went to Germany two weeks ago to see him and said it was a brilliant performance. Age and music has no boundaries.

The Proclaimers have written some amazing songs. Their decision to collaborate with Edwyn Collins a few years back was bordering on genius and gave them a whole new lease of life.

Of course they attract an audience looking to be serenaded with the hits. Very few bands don't but that shouldn't take away from their talent.

I'm at the castle in July and can't wait. I'm heading along with my English girlfriend, her Celtic supporting pal who is bringing her Hearts supporting husband.

Left by mutual consent!
    Cracking gig....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    Cracking gig....
    I think a Proclaimers gig in an intimate venue like Melrose would be awesome. Dead jealous to have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Proclaimers have written some amazing songs. Their decision to collaborate with Edwyn Collins a few years back was bordering on genius and gave them a whole new lease of life.

Of course they attract an audience looking to be serenaded with the hits. Very few bands don't but that shouldn't take away from their talent.

I'm at the castle in July and can't wait. I'm heading along with my English girlfriend, her Celtic supporting pal who is bringing her Hearts supporting husband.
    I was at their castle gig a few years ago, we were surrounded with foreign accents who surprisingly knew the words to a lot of their songs, as opposed to my Wife who just made a lot of them up as she went along 😆 great atmosphere, and a really good gig, oh and it was dry 😆

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post
    They are past it.

Too old.

Brilliant in their day but goodness me, it would be like going to see the Rolling Stones.

Retire gracefully you old fools.
    Have seen them around 8-9 times over the last 25 years, and last years gig at the playhouse was the best I’ve seen them. They are getting better, not worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    While i think the Proclaimers are terrible, the Rolling Stones are still brilliant live. I think some Hibs fans force themselves to like the Proclaimers. Different story if they were Jambos.
    OR, they’re just not to your taste. My 14 year old thinks they’re great and he wouldn’t be swayed just by their Hibs leanings. I also know a few jambos that are huge fans and go to see them regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I feel sorry for the Reid brothers as songwriters and artists.
    Let me explain.

They have written a lot of great songs but 95% of the folk that go to their gigs couldn't name 10 Proclaimers songs.
    The same 95% at the gigs couldn't name 3 songs they have released since 2002.

Their Hibs connection including "Sunshine On Leith" guarantees them sell out gigs to Hibs fans and their families, ex pats etc, football fans etc which is great for them financially.
    However, that singalong populist audience are not interested in art or music beyond the songs they have heard hundreds of times.
    Sadly The Proclaimers are now in the Scottish showbiz box with Rod Stewart and are dead to people who love music.
    Tin hat on.

On a positive note, enjoy the Melrose gig today in the certainty that it will be much better than the upcoming Edinburgh Castle date.
    The general rule is. Small venue great. Big venue not nearly so good. Big outside venue, bad. Big outside venue before darkness, very bad.
    Utter nonsense. Making up your own statistics as well.

Blatant trolling and just looking for an argument.

Laughable.

Left by mutual consent!
    They are past it.

Too old.

Brilliant in their day but goodness me, it would be like going to see the Rolling Stones.

Have you heard The streets of Edinburgh? It’s just sensational.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Have you heard The streets of Edinburgh? It’s just sensational.
    Lovely song.

Catch the official video with a couple of Hibee references:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTbLoyQ23g

Really enjoyed the album. 'Angry Cyclist' as well.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Is there any support acts on this tour?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    https://lnk.to/MagpieBlue

My wife’s cousin, only found out last night when I mentioned this thread in conversation.

@hibs.net private member
    They are past it.

Too old.

You're so right. There's no way at the age they are now that they could still put on the high intensity shows like the late eighties with all that spandex, flashpots going off after every song and running around like banshees playing guitar solos.

They are past it.

Too old.

Ageism

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There were four in Melrose too many given calibre of acts imo

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Had the good fortune to be there with my two boys. Brilliant day/night with the twins knocking it out the park, again. 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Utter nonsense. Making up your own statistics as well.

Blatant trolling and just looking for an argument.

Laughable.
    The stats are ball park guesses but probably not far of the mark.

Picture this,
    Middle age female attending one of the Proclaimers gigs at the Castle later this summer.
    Me: Casually approach, engage her in conversation and ask how many Proclaimers songs she can name? (lets pretend i'm not told to Foxtrot Oscar)
    Her: 500 miles etc, Letter from America, Sunshine on Leith ..................big pause, Let's Get Married .......................another big pause, I'm On My Way .......................King Of The Road (I politely remind her that's a cover) .................cue tumbleweed. Congratulations you have named 5 songs from over 30 years of the Proclaimers.

That would be typical for much of the audience.
    There won't be many folk like Papillon Vert in attendance (posted above) who are aware of the last Proclaimers album "Angry Cyclist" never mind who have listened to or bought it.

This summer the middle age music aficionado's will be mainly avoiding the crowds, singalongs and expensive tickets at the Castle to attend at the Leith Theatre to see the wonderful Teenage Fanclub do their thang. No "putting on a great show", just great music. Bliss.

I say that as someone who owns 6 of the 7 albums the Proclaimers released between 1987 & 2007 and someone who has listened to last years "Angry Cyclist" album. You will be glad to hear i will never attend another of their gigs unless there are no Hibs supporters, scottish folk, ex pats, etc in attendance and they promise not to play 500 ****in miles. Petrie!!!!!!

P.S I wouldn't have liked it but i bet the Melrose gig in the big tent was very good. I also hope those attending the Castle gigs have a great time.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-06-2019 at 11:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

Picture this,
    Middle age female attending one of the Proclaimers gigs at the Castle later this summer.
    Me: Casually approach, engage her in conversation and ask how many Proclaimers songs she can name? (lets pretend i'm not told to Foxtrot Oscar)
    Her: 500 miles etc, Letter from America, Sunshine on Leith ..................big pause, Let's Get Married .......................another big pause, I'm On My Way .......................King Of The Road (I politely remind her that's a cover) .................cue tumbleweed. Congratulations you have named 5 songs from over 30 years of the Proclaimers.

There won't be many folk like Papillon Vert in attendance (posted above) who are aware of the last Proclaimers album "Angry Cyclist" never mind who have listened to or bought it.

This summer the middle age music aficionado's will be mainly avoiding the crowds, singalongs and expensive tickets at the Castle to attend at the Leith Theatre to see the wonderful Teenage Fanclub do their thang. No "putting on a great show", just great music. Bliss.

I say that as someone who owns 6 of the 7 albums the Proclaimers released between 1987 & 2007 and someone who has listened to last years "Angry Cyclist" album. You will be glad to hear i will never attend another of their gigs unless there are no Hibs supporters, scottish folk, ex pats, etc in attendance and they promise not to play 500 ****in miles. Petrie!!!!!!

P.S I wouldn't have liked it but i bet the Melrose gig in the big tent was very good. I also hope those attending the Castle gigs have a great time.
    Any reason you’re being so patronising on this thread?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040

Picture this,

Christ, and to think I got pelters for my post on this thread on Friday night too!

Including the rather charming ‘yam crank’ chat.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    They are past it.

Too old.

Fool! How do you suggest that a gap of 20 years between the twins and Mick Jagger is comparable?

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Any reason you’re being so patronising on this thread?
    As well as writing an essay which describes a situation no different to any other gig with a 4 figure attendance.

Who knows, maybe a few of the attendees at Melrose had all 7 of the albums from the very selective years the quoter plucked out, and would be scoffing at him should he have dared to turn up and enjoy himself.

On another note. I’ve seen the proclaimers and the stones multiple times and both are up there with the best bands I’ve had the pleasure of seeing.