hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar

Vintage Panini Stickers - Mega Hibs Content

I hope you don't mind me posting this here, but this is too good not to share. So, I'm on a mega trip down memory lane, and as part of that journey, I bought three unopened packs of Panini football stickers from 1982. Now, before I opened these, I had two wishes in mind....1) to get a foil badge sticker and 2) to get any Hibs sticker. Without spoiling the surprise, if you skip to 4 minutes and 16 seconds in this video, you will see the money shot.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member s2hart's Avatar
    No video posted!unless I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by s2hart View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No video posted!unless I'm missing something.

It shows up on my desk top, but not my phone, so you are right. Anyway, here's the link to youtube...... https://youtu.be/UC2ohzQ5leY
    Last edited by HFC_NYC; 08-06-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Might have been a year or two after but the badges were the club's nicknames. Can remember ours was a hive of bee's, hearts a plate of jam tarts and Aberdeen a mortar board.

Only ever completed one album and wasted (occasionally chored) a **** load of money getting stickers. Trading piles of stickers for one that you needed always seemed wise at the time

"Got, got, got, need"

Those were the days. That said, was there a combined English and Scottish panini sticker book back in the day?

Certainly were separated by the mid 90's

@hibs.net private member
    Love stuff like this, delighted for you.

I can remember like it was yesterday several memories from around that time as a young child going home and away. Sadly football has changed so much. I was through in Glasgow at Wikes on London Road on Wednesday and drove by Shawfield, was able to tell the wife a story about going there much to her amazement as I can't remember what I done last week in her eyes.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Used to love the football stickers when i was younger, especially when you open the nice shiny club badge :)

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    "Got, got, got, need"

Those were the days. That said, was there a combined English and Scottish panini sticker book back in the day?

Definitely English and Scottish when I was collecting them in the late 70's and early 80's.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    "Got, got, got, need"

Defo combined although I seem to remember the Scottish players got half sized stickers for a least a few editions or maybe I’m mis remembering that!

Brilliant vid tho and love the reaction to the Hibs foil...superb

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Might have been a year or two after but the badges were the club's nicknames. Can remember ours was a hive of bee's, hearts a plate of jam tarts and Aberdeen a mortar board.

Only ever completed one album and wasted (occasionally chored) a **** load of money getting stickers. Trading piles of stickers for one that you needed always seemed wise at the time
    If this was '84/'85 then were we not "high bees", picture of a few stoned looking bees and one of those smokers apiarists use?

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Brought back great memories, remember completing that sticker book, if I remember correctly you send off to panini for the last so many stickers you were missing to complete the album but it cost you big bucks!!😃

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Too old for stickers it was bubble gum cards in my day and it was “got, got, no got” you lot must have gone to posh schools.

Do remember getting the stickers for my kids in the 80s and 90s though.

First Team Breakthrough Fratelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Too old for stickers it was bubble gum cards in my day and it was “got, got, no got” you lot must have gone to posh schools.

Was just about to post the same...in the playground at ‘Pinkie’ in Musselburgh in the early 70’s, it was definitely ‘got, got, no got...’

Great memories all the same...

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    That was brilliant, oh the memories, and what was the chances of getting a Hibs badge!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was absolutely amazing to get the Hibs foil badge in that first packet. Also, I remember the foil badges being pretty rare, so I was shocked to get three in that one packet.

"Got, got, got, need"

I think this was the last to feature both Scottish and English. Fond memories.

https://youtu.be/AuSg9ZX3nos

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post

Ahh..the bubble cards bought from the shop that was next to The Kilted Pig (only shop that sold then in the area) and the only card I seem to remember was Willie Pettigrew. Also remember the football "stickers" for the Argentina 78 album that you had to glue in the book with Prit Stick.

Oxgangs was definitely "got, got, not got" when you were swapping them.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Ahh..the bubble cards bought from the shop that was next to The Kilted Pig (only shop that sold then in the area) and the only card I seem to remember was Willie Pettigrew. Also remember the football "stickers" for the Argentina 78 album that you had to glue in the book with Prit Stick.

Oxgangs was definitely "got, got, not got" when you were swapping them.
    Did you not have to lick them like a stamp ?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I used to love the Panini stickers. Nothing better than getting a pound and tearing off to the newsagents; "ten packs of stickers please". I think they were ten pence per pack in the mid 80s. The anticipation of opening them was immense. Getting the silver crest badge of a club was a thrill, and if you were really lucky, you might get two or three in a pack. Scottish clubs only got wee half size stickers, with two players on each.

Then there was the World Cup special albums; again silver foil sticker with each nation's crest. The World Cup itself number one in the album.

Taking your pile into school, where each boy would flick through his 'spares' that were available for swap. Half a dozen boys concentrating on each sticker, looking for one he required: "got, got, need".... Each boy had a photographic memory of every sticker in his book and which players he still required.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Having 3 brothers and me that were all football daft meant we had loads of these albums over the years in the 70s and 80s. Remember vividly 1 year they got the Greenhoff brothers the wrong way round in the Man Utd team, so that Jimmy's picture was on Brian's sticker and vice-versa.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Great stuff. My first album was football 90

http://www.footballstickipedia.com/p...ker-album.html

As a kid in Wales it gave me my first introduction to Scottish teams.

I'm sure 7 year old me didn't think I'd be watching some random team called Hibernian every week with a season ticket but there you go!

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Defo combined although I seem to remember the Scottish players got half sized stickers for a least a few editions or maybe I’m mis remembering that!

The combined ones did have the Scottish players two to a sticker as opposed to the English ones, you’re right.

I think it was for child protection reasons, given the scariness of Scottish players’ moustaches and hair-dos at that time.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    The combined ones did have the Scottish players two to a sticker as opposed to the English ones, you’re right.

I think it was for child protection reasons, given the scariness of Scottish players’ moustaches and hair-dos at that time.
    Some excellent examples of quite incredible barnets in NYC's video. Special mention to Alan Sunderland's legendary afro. The mousers, worn in combination with missing teeth, were another standard feature.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Did you not have to lick them like a stamp ?
    Nope. Bubble Gum cards were like playing cards or Top Trumps cards.

EZJoe Baker.jpg
    Last edited by eezyrider; 10-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

I defo had combined ones, would be about 79 or 80, I guess. The English teams had double pages whereas most Scottish ones just got a single. Apart from 2, bet you can't guess.

Edit: it was this one, 78. Here's some boy leafing through it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3gQVZveuc
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 10-06-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Off on a tangent slightly.

Did any of the more ‘elderly’ readers here collect the football badges and coins collection given out by petrol stations?

I was given the 1966 England WC squad coin collection and a full set of badges of all the league clubs in the UK, issued by Esso I think.

Here are the notes I made that I was going to use in my video, but eventually decided not to. It does show that the first two Panini albums treated the English 1st and Scottish Premier leagues equally, but after that, we got shafted:-

"The first edition in 1978 treated the English 1st Division and the Scottish Premier League equally with both receiving 14 players, 1 manager, 1 team shot and a FOIL club badge spread over 2 pages. This pattern continued into the 1979 edition with the exception that the club badges were made from FABRIC – the only year that this happened.

However, things changed drastically for the 1980 edition. Whilst there were no changes made for the English 1st Division (with the exception that we were back to the club badges being FOIL), the allocation for the Scottish Premier League was drastically reduced to half of 1 page with half sized stickers containing only 11 players, 1 manager and NO badge or team picture!!!

1981 saw more changes whereby the English 1st Division retained the 2 page spread but this time, we got 12 players, 1 manager, the badge and the team picture which was now made using 2 stickers. The Scottish Premier League continued with the half sized stickers, but was allocated one full page and comprised of 11 players, 1 manager, a full sized badge and a 2 sticker team picture.

Which brings us to 1982 and the stickers we’re about to open. Once again, the English 1st Division teams were spread over 2 pages and contained 12 players, 1 manager, badge and team. The Scottish Premier league was still allocated the one page and contained the 12 players in half sized stickers, club badge, the team picture which was back to being a single sticker and bizarrely, the manager which was featured on a full sized sticker."

The 1989 definitely had double pages with full size stickers. Cant be certain but think 88 was the same.

Here is a link to images of the 89 book

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/...complete-album

You need to click view this lot and scroll to page 55��
    Last edited by beensaidbefore; 10-06-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post
    Here are the notes I made that I was going to use in my video, but eventually decided not to. It does show that the first two Panini albums treated the English 1st and Scottish Premier leagues equally, but after that, we got shafted:-

"The first edition in 1978 treated the English 1st Division and the Scottish Premier League equally with both receiving 14 players, 1 manager, 1 team shot and a FOIL club badge spread over 2 pages. This pattern continued into the 1979 edition with the exception that the club badges were made from FABRIC – the only year that this happened.
    I may be wrong as I no longer have the albums (can't recall what became of them), but it's my recollection that the 1978 album gave the English First Division clubs a double page each (as well as a section for the English Second Division which featured only a badge and a team pic) but only a single page for the Scottish top flight clubs? Although I have a vague recollection that Celtic and Rangers may have been given double pages.

The 1979 version definitely provided a double page for both the English and Scottish top divisions, although as you say the badges were no longer gold foil!

Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post

However, things changed drastically for the 1980 edition. Whilst there were no changes made for the English 1st Division (with the exception that we were back to the club badges being FOIL), the allocation for the Scottish Premier League was drastically reduced to half of 1 page with half sized stickers containing only 11 players, 1 manager and NO badge or team picture!!!

1981 saw more changes whereby the English 1st Division retained the 2 page spread but this time, we got 12 players, 1 manager, the badge and the team picture which was now made using 2 stickers. The Scottish Premier League continued with the half sized stickers, but was allocated one full page and comprised of 11 players, 1 manager, a full sized badge and a 2 sticker team picture.

Which brings us to 1982 and the stickers we’re about to open. Once again, the English 1st Division teams were spread over 2 pages and contained 12 players, 1 manager, badge and team. The Scottish Premier league was still allocated the one page and contained the 12 players in half sized stickers, club badge, the team picture which was back to being a single sticker and bizarrely, the manager which was featured on a full sized sticker."
    Not in 78. It's here in this vid:

https://youtu.be/Ry3gQVZveuc?t=251

Only Celgers got a double page. I remember being outraged as an 8 year old.