hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At our level I do not want my keeper “guessing” in a high pressure match versus The Rangers at home

He should be standing tall making himself big at his near post not making Freddos mind up for him by not committing himself to a cross cum shot to the far post that does not come

I seem to remember at the time that The Rangers knew Rocky was dodgy at his near post

Sorry but a howler in my book

Just watched it again #92

Dearie me!
    So what really. You think it was a howler....well it happens to the best. You're making the same point over and over. I don’t think it was a zibbiesque error, but maybe he could have done better, big deal, I’m long since over it.

As for Rangers knowing he’s dodgy at the near post. I doubt very much that was a tactic on the part of Morelos. It was a clever, instinctive finish, nothing more.

Fact is that he’s the best goalie at Hibs since Leighton and that was over 20 years ago. Howler or not, we’re going to struggle to find anyone better.

Simples really

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Understandable to an extent - we were blessed with Rough, Gotham and Leighton so perhaps lulled into a false sense of security around excellent keepers as a norm. I do remember some punters
    Giving Leighton pelters tho. - and that was before any incident as some like to do..:
    Leighton was good for HIBS and HIBS were good for Jim Leighton

Relaunching his Scotland career 22 caps whilst a HIBS player

Another goalkeeper uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and kicking somewhat skewed

Only howlers I recall two howitzers from Paul Wright versus Killie in a snow storm at Easter Road in the Scottish Cup

Legend

Let him go if he truly is manufacturing a move. Yes he had a very good end to the season but he's an average goalkeeper in my eyes.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Let him go if he truly is manufacturing a move. Yes he had a very good end to the season but he's an average goalkeeper in my eyes.
    Won't be a popular opinion on here but I do agree with this, in my post I said he's good but not amazing and stand by that.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Won't be a popular opinion on here but I do agree with this, in my post I said he's good but not amazing and stand by that.
    Agreed. Take the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    So what really. You think it was a howler....well it happens to the best. You're making the same point over and over. I don’t think it was a zibbiesque error, but maybe he could have done better, big deal, I’m long since over it.

As for Rangers knowing he’s dodgy at the near post. I doubt very much that was a tactic on the part of Morelos. It was a clever, instinctive finish, nothing more.

Fact is that he’s the best goalie at Hibs since Leighton and that was over 20 years ago. Howler or not, we’re going to struggle to find anyone better.

Simples really
    As others have said plenty other good keepers out there

If he DOES decide to leave I have no doubt we will get over it

I would gladly take a decent fee now and try to secure Bogdan

Howlers or not he goes with my best wishes

After all we are talking about one brilliant half season out of three

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    As others have said plenty other good keepers out there

If he DOES decide to leave I have no doubt we will get over it

I would gladly take a decent fee now and try to secure Bogdan

Howlers or not he goes with my best wishes

After all we are talking about one brilliant half season out of three
    Of course we’ll get over it.

If there are so many decent keepers out there why have Hibs not signed one in the last 15 years prior to Bogdan and Rocky. Some of the clowns we’ve signed havent had a brilliant half season in their combined careers.

Decent keeper at Hibs, hard to find another on our budget...end of story.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Agreed. Take the cash.

I'd be happy with that.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Brilliant goalkeeper. The save v Dundee at ER last season was the best I’ve ever seen.

No problem with his comments.

This will always happen at hibs. We’ve done well to get 2 seasons out of him.

Good luck from me
    Agreed that save was outstanding, he's made another couple at least this season. His save against killie at home then then away to Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Of course we’ll get over it.

If there are so many decent keepers out there why have Hibs not signed one in the last 15 years prior to Bogdan and Rocky. Some of the clowns we’ve signed havent had a brilliant half season in their combined careers.

Decent keeper at Hibs, hard to find another on our budget...end of story.
    Not a crisis if Rocky was to decide to leave

It was not that long ago in the second place play off at Tinycastle that every kick out from Rocky went to an opposition player or out of touch

Not surprised Lenny lost the plot!

In Hecky we trust

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Leighton was good for HIBS and HIBS were good for Jim Leighton

Relaunching his Scotland career 22 caps whilst a HIBS player

Another goalkeeper uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and kicking somewhat skewed

Only howlers I recall two howitzers from Paul Wright versus Killie in a snow storm at Easter Road in the Scottish Cup

Legend

Jim Leighton’s star had fallen and he had acquired a bit of a reputation as a liability. That is why he came onto Hibs radar in the first place. I think a few fans were very unsure about the signing.

His performances for us were generally great however, he was a fine keeper.

Similar to Bogdan in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Jim Leighton’s star had fallen and he had acquired a bit of a reputation as a liability. That is why he came onto Hibs radar in the first place. I think a few fans were very unsure about the signing.

178 appearances over four seasons

A very good reliable consistent goalkeeper for us and Scotland

Surprised he is not more revered

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

As I remember it, the vast majority of Hibs fans were won over at the time and he is fondly remembered, certainly by me.

I guess though that entire team has faded from memory a bit with time.

Will be gutted if Rocky moves on. But that's football. Imagine we could get a fairly decent figure, even despite 50% of it going to ashdod. I hope he stays, but we'll see.

@hibs.net private member
    Have seen Mrs Rocky, he's punching!:) Then again, most men would be!lol

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Absolutely mate. Good keepers are hard to find. We’ve currently got a top class keeper that’s just as important as having a top class striker. If Rocky leaves we will struggle to find a replacement that will be anywhere near his standard. I fully realise that he might go, but people on this thread saying he can easily be replaced obviously can’t remember the days when we had idiots like zibby and Simon Brown in goals or even worse Graeme Smith.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why do people always say "with one or two howlers in there" as if there has even been or ever will be a goalie who doesn't make mistakes?
    Allison, De Gea, Pickford, Boruc, Alan McGregor......none of those top class keepers ever made one or two howlers have they? Oh wait..yes they have!

Its like saying Leigh Griffiths was decent at times for Hibs, but he missed a few sitters.

Left by mutual consent!
    Rocky is he leaves’ legacy will be shown by who we replace him with. I don’t think we will get Bognan so if it’s back to the same old ***** then it’s a disaster. It does show that there are decent keepers out there though as we got two this year. I would go down the route of an on loan EPL ‘keeper or ask the Aberdeen head of scouting.

As I remember it, the vast majority of Hibs fans were won over at the time and he is fondly remembered, certainly by me.

I guess though that entire team has faded from memory a bit with time.
    Jim Leighton was brilliant for Hibs and everyone loved him as far as I remember. The passback rule was the end of him, he just was no good with the ball at his feet. Great keeper for us though, pretty much as good as Goram had been and that was outstanding.

I remember a penalty shoot out at Firhill in the league cup where he made a couple of the best penalty saves I've ever seen.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I like Rocky, especially the one who came back after his injury last season. I also like Bogdan, who i think is slightly the better keeper but i understand fully why Rocky kept the gloves when Bogdan was injured.

I dont think we can sign Bogdan as i think he'd be looking for more than we can pay, yes i know he's not earning anything now but i'm sure there will be many clubs who can offer much much more than us.

Both are decent keepers for our standard, but we've already proved we can sign keepers who are good enough in these two, we need to make sure we sign ones equally as good should Rocky leaves.

Jim Leighton and Mixu Paatelainen have probably been the two players we've had where my expectation levels and the actual success of the transfer have been most at odds.

Leighton was finished by the time he rocked up with us and I wondered what on Earth Miller was playing at signing him. That was a truly inspirational signing, and the signing of Leighton and what he managed to get out of him must have been one of Miller's biggest achievements as a coach.

I also thought Mixu was over the hill, but it turned out he was just Finnish. Absolutely outstanding player for us.
    Last edited by Smartie; 07-06-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Jim Leighton and Mixu Paatelainen have probably been the two players we've had where my expectation levels and the actual success of the transfer have been most at odds.

Leighton was finished by the time he rocked up with us and I wondered what on Earth Miller was playing at signing him. That was a truly inspirational signing, and the signing of Leighton and what he managed to get out of him must have been one of Miller's biggest achievements as a coach.

I also thought Mixu was over the hill, but it turned out he was just Finnish. Absolutely outstanding player for us.
    Even stranger was his second spell 2002-2003

Bobby Williamson had the troops preseason training up Arthur Seat as you do and Mixu was out for a jog in Holyrood Park and just joined in

29 appearances 7 goals
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-06-2019 at 03:07 PM.

He left under a bit of a cloud IMO - going to Aberdeen on a Bosman left a sour taste considering Hibs had relaunched his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Indeed but I think Bogdan is a better all round keeper.

Not sure how long he has left but I would suspect a fee of around £500,000 to £750,000 will see him move! (Maybe not even as much as that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    He left under a bit of a cloud IMO - going to Aberdeen on a Bosman left a sour taste considering Hibs had relaunched his career.
    That wasn't my recollection, my understanding was that we told Leighton that he wouldn't be first choice keeper and he was free to leave ER?

I may have remembered it wrong as it seems a long time ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    That wasn't my recollection, my understanding was that we told Leighton that he wouldn't be first choice keeper and he was free to leave ER?

I may have remembered it wrong as it seems a long time ago!
    I thought it was a simple as him wanting to finish his career where he started it, at his favourite club. As he'd served us so well we were happy to let him go.

That was the year we lost a few very important players over the summer - Hunter, Leighton and Jackson - and found ourselves relegated a year later when we inevitably failed to replace them with players of anything like the same quality.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Fantastic keeper, the only thing Rocky’s punch above his weight in is with his missus😆

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I thought it was a simple as him wanting to finish his career where he started it, at his favourite club. As he'd served us so well we were happy to let him go.

That was the year we lost a few very important players over the summer - Hunter, Leighton and Jackson - and found ourselves relegated a year later when we inevitably failed to replace them with players of anything like the same quality.
    I remember my dad writing to the Board that it was ridiculous replacing Jackson with Crawford. To be fair, Crawford turned into decent player (mostly after he left us and nowhere near the level of Jackson).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Rewarded by Aberdeen by being booted out by Derek McInnes at the end of the 2014/15 season
    Now works as a Sales Manager with a company linked to the oil industry

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Rewarded by Aberdeen by being booted out by Derek McInnes at the end of the 2014/15 season
    Now works as a Sales Manager with a company linked to the oil industry
    Was he actually a good coach though? The standard of goalkeeping at Aberdeen seems to have improved since he left. No room for sentiment. Ironically replaced by the goalkeeper coach who many wanted punted from Hibs for years.