hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who gives a flying f#k.

Says the guy who bothered enough to post about it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    I always look at the term world class as meaning the player would be selected for any team in the world - hence Messi and Ronaldo are world class. Not too many others when you think about it and whilst Robertson is a genuine quality player he hasn't risen to that level - yet.
    Thats exactly my understanding of it. World class gets thrown around far too often these days

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I always think that if Andy Robertson wasn’t Scottish then Scottish people would rate him more.
    Yup. The Scottish cringe raising its ugly head again.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

Everyone has their own understanding of world class.

I personally see it as looking at the bigger picture - not just a player who hits form surrounded by good players. Many players have had a few good seasons.

But for me for the title of World Class to be given out they need to show consistency playing at the top level (world cup / euros / champions league / domestic league) against equally good players.

That player needs to stand out and be the best if not one of the top 3 in his team.

As I said previously Robertson could arguably be the 4th best Liverpool player - is he better than Trent Alexander as they are very similar and I don't see him being world class.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Augero, Pique, Alba, Alves, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets - these are players which have delivered on the world stage continuously.

Bale is a good example - he dragged Wales to major tournaments. Robertson hasn't done this yet and needs to prove he can do this for me if he is to even get close to be given the World Class tag.

There is a shortage of decent left backs right now which isn't his fault but if Robertson is World Class - what was Maldini in his prime / let alone now when you look back on his career ?

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post

I personally see it as looking at the bigger picture - not just a player who hits form surrounded by good players. Many players have had a few good seasons.

But for me for the title of World Class to be given out they need to show consistency playing at the top level (world cup / euros / champions league / domestic league) against equally good players.

That player needs to stand out and be the best if not one of the top 3 in his team.

As I said previously Robertson could arguably be the 4th best Liverpool player - is he better than Trent Alexander as they are very similar and I don't see him being world class.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Augero, Pique, Alba, Alves, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets - these are players which have delivered on the world stage continuously.

Bale is a good example - he dragged Wales to major tournaments. Robertson hasn't done this yet and needs to prove he can do this for me if he is to even get close to be given the World Class tag.

There is a shortage of decent left backs right now which isn't his fault but if Robertson is World Class - what was Maldini in his prime / let alone now when you look back on his career ?
    Maldini was the best ever, that doesn't make Robertson any less good.

@hibs.net private member

A tad harsh to say that you're not World class if you aren't as good as Maldini. He's probably the best defender I've ever seen.

You're at it!

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    The above all proof that the phrase World Class is completely meaningless since people just make up their own rules

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Andy Robertson and Jordi Alba have been streets ahead of any LBs in the world this season.
    Apart from Lewis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I always think that if Andy Robertson wasn’t Scottish then Scottish people would rate him more.
    Andres Roberto from Brazil and this is a completely different thread.

Probably wouldn't be as good as an Italian left back who retired before Andy was even out of school, so not world class, but not bad.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Probably the best left back in Europe this year. Not many in world football better in his position at the moment.
    Yep, Mourinho was speechless in assessing how good Robertson was in a game earlier in the season against United.

I hate how some idiotic Scots talk down our talent, when it's clear to see from established top football people. It's the idiots fault we're not pulling our weight internationally as much as it is the Doncasters and, recently, Regans of the world.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Book of Kamberi View Post
    Yep, Mourinho was speechless in assessing how good Robertson was in a game earlier in the season against United.

I hate how some idiotic Scots talk down our talent, when it's clear to see from established top football people. It's the idiots fault we're not pulling our weight internationally as much as it is the Doncasters and, recently, Regans of the world.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I thought the Swiss were a peaceful bunch?

World class player in Andy Robertson?????

Had to actually double read people’s posts.

Yes he has improved and is a very good Liverpool team but World Class?!!

Wouldn’t make the top 100 world class players playing around the world right now.
    What does world class even mean in your eyes? It's one of those ridiculous phrases that mean completely different things to different people. For example, I understand ''world class'' as two or three players in each position who are the best at the minute, regardless of trophies won etc. Comparing Robertson (25, first couple of seasons at a huge club) to Messi is ridiculous.

I'm English so I've got no affinity or bias towards Liverpool or Scotland. But, you're crazily wrong about Robertson. Apart from Jordi Alba, I'm struggling to think of better left backs in the world. He's by a country mile the best LB in the Prem. I'd take him over any left back England have got as well.

Really not sure how you can compare a left back to a keeper or a striker either.

Out of interest, is there some sort of feature on this board that notifies you if your posts are quoted?

Scotland (with the right system) should be capable of qualifying for a major tournament. Steve Clarke should be given time and the correct backroom support (like England have tried to implement) that runs through all age groups. Your side at the minute has 1 world class player (Robertson), several very good ones (Fraser, Tierney, Cairney ) and then numerous good players who're all capable of performing at this level. You're in a similar position to Wales who're at least trying to tie down promising players who might in the future make a real impact on their side, for example Brookes at Bournemouth who's an excellent player.

EDIT: Comparing him to Maldini, haha. It's like saying Harry Kane is ***** because he's not Thierry Henry.
    Last edited by MichaelBrown; 17-05-2019 at 01:15 PM.

I think the national team has a lot of really good players and have loads of potential

Robertson had 11 assists this season. More than most “world class” midfielders in the EPL.
    McGinn was voted players and fans POTY at Villa. Ahead of £40m rated English wonder kid Grealish.
    Ryan Fraser was voted fans POTY at Bournemouth. The second most assists in the EPL. He also has Arsenal looking at him.
    Calum McGregor was on the shortlist for the Scottish POTY
    James Forest was voted POTY in Scotland
    The amount of players we have playing regularly in the EPL also.

We just need a manager to can get the right balance. Loads of postitives. I’m sure Michael O’Neil and Mick McCarthy would love to have this squad at their disposal.

Scottish folk are too quick to put the national team. Let’s back them instead.

A half decent manager should be able to make a decent stab of reaching Euro 2020 with this squad.

Scott Bain
    Jon McLaughlin
    Jordan Archer

Stephen O'Donnell
    David Bates
    Scott McKenna
    Liam Cooper
    John Souttar
    Kieran Tierney
    Andrew Robertson

Matt Ritchie
    James Forrest
    John McGinn
    Callum McGregor
    Ryan Christie
    Scott McTominay
    James Paterson
    Tom Cairney
    Greame Shinnie
    Stuart Armstrong
    Ryan Fraser
    Kenny McLean

Steven Naismith
    Steve Fletcher
    Leigh Griffiths
    Oliver McBurnie
    Matt Phillips

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Reading between the lines Clarke has the job? Mcinnes rules himself out today and Clarkes assistant releases he would find it hard to turn down on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    A half decent manager should be able to make a decent stab of reaching Euro 2020 with this squad.

Scott Bain
    Jon McLaughlin
    Jordan Archer

Stephen O'Donnell
    David Bates
    Scott McKenna
    Liam Cooper
    John Souttar
    Kieran Tierney
    Andrew Robertson

Matt Ritchie
    James Forrest
    John McGinn
    Callum McGregor
    Ryan Christie
    Scott McTominay
    James Paterson
    Tom Cairney
    Greame Shinnie
    Stuart Armstrong
    Ryan Fraser
    Kenny McLean

Steven Naismith
    Steve Fletcher
    Leigh Griffiths
    Oliver McBurnie
    Matt Phillips

Good midfielders but I'd say that's a piss poor forwards selection

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Add McNulty to the list!

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieHibs View Post
    I think the national team has a lot of really good players and have loads of potential

Robertson had 11 assists this season. More than most “world class” midfielders in the EPL.
    McGinn was voted players and fans POTY at Villa. Ahead of £40m rated English wonder kid Grealish.
    Ryan Fraser was voted fans POTY at Bournemouth. The second most assists in the EPL. He also has Arsenal looking at him.
    Calum McGregor was on the shortlist for the Scottish POTY
    James Forest was voted POTY in Scotland
    The amount of players we have playing regularly in the EPL also.

We just need a manager to can get the right balance. Loads of postitives. I’m sure Michael O’Neil and Mick McCarthy would love to have this squad at their disposal.

Scottish folk are too quick to put the national team. Let’s back them instead.
    Yep, couldn't echo this more.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    A fit and focused Leigh Griffiths is far from 'piss poor'. If his situation changes and he starts playing again, I predict he'll go on to prove once again how huge a talent he is.

So Steve Clarke is the new Scotland manager.

Not sure I am too comfy with this, there’s no doubting he has over achieved with Killie based on league position.

But, it appears to me that he is taking it for the wrong reasons, he wants to move back down south with his family and therefore can’t have the full time day to day running of a club therefore the national job fits in with that agenda for him.

He is managing at the highest level as international manager, IMO, he should at least be based in the country of the team he manages and not taking it in because it is s better fit for him than club football.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post

Not sure I am too comfy with this, there’s no doubting he has over achieved with Killie based on league position.

But, it appears to me that he is taking it for the wrong reasons, he wants to move back down south with his family and therefore can’t have the full time day to day running of a club therefore the national job fits in with that agenda for him.

He is managing at the highest level as international manager, IMO, he should at least be based in the country of the team he manages and not taking it in because it is s better fit for him than club football.
    Completely agree.

He’s done a fantastic job at Killie and if he can translate that to the Scotland job then terrific. For now though it feels to me like he’s taken this one as he got overlooked for the Fulham job.

Still though, this will be a step up from the Killie job for him and if he does well he’ll be back managing in England within a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Completely agree.

He’s done a fantastic job at Killie and if he can translate that to the Scotland job then terrific. For now though it feels to me like he’s taken this one as he got overlooked for the Fulham job.

Still though, this will be a step up from the Killie job for him and if he does well he’ll be back managing in England within a year or so.
    I think if he really wanted to manage an English club he would bide his time and not be short of offers.

I don’t believe for a second Steve Clarke would take the Scotland job as a stop-gap.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

Michael O’Neil lives in Edinburgh. He’s done no bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Michael O’Neil lives in Edinburgh. He’s done no bad.
    Suppose so, and majority of Scotland squad probably plays down south anyway so he’ll be well placed to go watch some of our players playing for the lower English league dross

It's really not all that hard to travel back and forward between England and Scotland these days.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Does it really matter if he is based in England, it takes as long to get to Inverness as it does newcastle for example

To qualify we generally have needed to win one more game than we had, or avoid a shocker of a result. The improvement needed, is not off the scale. Our squad under someone like Clarke, could achieve that.

Imagine all of Hampden singing the McGinn song.

I don't see Clarke being based in England as a major issue. He can travel up to take in a couple of games over a weekend and it's easy enough to send him footage of the games up here.

Given how he turned Kilmarnock round he'd be a good choice to improve the current Scotland squad, and as the popular choice will be given more time if results don't go his way initially.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.