hibs.net Messageboard

Manchester City Under Threat Of Champions League Expulsion

It seems that the investigation into Manchester City on potential breaking of the FFP rules has escalated.

"IC members are thought to have formed the view, following a formal investigation launched in March, that if the AC concludes that City have misstated their income to Uefa, as alleged, the offence is so serious as to warrant a Champions League ban."

This relates to investment into the club by their billionaire owner being disguised as Sponsorship.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Sounds like this investigation could be the real deal, not just a whitewash, and City could be in real trouble. However, I can't say I have confidence in UEFA to see it through, if City are guilty. Probably a plea bargain fine or something similar.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Are city also not in trouble for allegedly tapping up young players?

They're all at it. What's the real point in actually enforcing these rules because the real talent isn't on the field, it's the lawyers that work out how they get around these rules. It doesn't really annoy me when I hear about one of these clubs getting caught because it so easily could have been someone else at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like this investigation could be the real deal, not just a whitewash, and City could be in real trouble. However, I can't say I have confidence in UEFA to see it through, if City are guilty. Probably a plea bargain fine or something similar.
    Given how successful English Teams have been this Season it wouldn’t surprise me if there is a Backlash and they come down heavy on city A fine is peanuts to the owners but Maybe The Authorities need a few million

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting story accredited to the NY Times - a major shareholder in Liverpool FC coincidentally

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    It seems that the investigation into Manchester City on potential breaking of the FFP rules has escalated.

"IC members are thought to have formed the view, following a formal investigation launched in March, that if the AC concludes that City have misstated their income to Uefa, as alleged, the offence is so serious as to warrant a Champions League ban."

This relates to investment into the club by their billionaire owner being disguised as Sponsorship.
    Bad news for hibs.net's resident big game hunter.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    Interesting story accredited to the NY Times - a major shareholder in Liverpool FC coincidentally
    fair enough, they must see something in this, and would the FA not be interested in this ?
    No chance they could be docked points ?.....have they spent money they've not got ?.....their owner minted anyway so what have they "got around" ?...the FFP rules ?..if so to have any credibility action needs taken..no ?
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Just can't see any of the big clubs ever being excluded.

Now if a Slovenian team forgets to round up some figures and is E3.60 out, then they'll get hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post

Now if a Slovenian team forgets to round up some figures and is E3.60 out, then they'll get hammered.
    Already happened IIRC. One of the Serbian teams were banned from participating but PSG got their winnings withheld.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post

Yup.

Paradoxically, if you're rich enough you can circumvent the FFP rules easily.

Pity they wouldn't look into the Rangers dealings ,

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The needle returns to the start of the song a we all go on like before...0
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Can only see this ending with them just getting a naughty slap on the wrist and nothing else.

As many have said, if this was a team from Slovenia/Latvia etc, they would get a European ban, transfer ban etc. Virtually everything thrown at them.