hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whataboutary Club of the Month for April

Smeltic following sectarian abuse by their fans of Derek McInnes yesterday

Celtic released an ANONYMOUS statement today:
    "Chanting of this nature should have no place in football and we condemn this wholeheartedly," said a Celtic spokesperson.
    "We hope the authorities also take the same interest in offensive chanting directed at Celtic Football Club and our supporters at yesterday's match and other games."

For all those who had a go at Leanne Dempsters statements and complained that she didn't have a go at opposition fans behaviour, this is what it looks like and how it undermines the sincerity of the condemnation of the behaviour of your own fans.

Leanne Dempster acted positively and didn't blame anyone else for our fans behaviour..
    The politicians won't miss this statement and all Celtic have done is stoked the fire. Schoolboy error Victim FC.

Celtic have flagged up that they are part of the problem and will always seek to deflect rather than addressing the issue at hand.

The politicians are comin' to get the arsecheeks..........if brexit is ever sorted out.
    Dempster, as always, one step ahead of the curve.

Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-04-2019 at 12:25 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I can see what they are trying to say. Many clubs are subjected to sectarian chanting and sings from numerous other clubs so why have they decided to investigate this specific incident.

Hopefully it is the start of a clampdown in Scottish football rather than just looking at this one incident.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Hibs and Hearts showing the Glasgow bigots how it's done. That response is infantile and could just as easily have been written by Traynor.

Typical mammy...daddy...polis reaction you’d expect from one of the ugly sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Smeltic following sectarian abuse by their fans of Derek McInnes yesterday

Celtic released an ANONYMOUS statement today:
    "Chanting of this nature should have no place in football and we condemn this wholeheartedly," said a Celtic spokesperson.
    "We hope the authorities also take the same interest in offensive chanting directed at Celtic Football Club and our supporters at yesterday's match and other games."

For all those who had a go at Leanne Dempsters statements and complained that she didn't have a go at opposition fans behaviour, this is what it looks like and how it undermines the sincerity of the condemnation of the behaviour of your own fans.

Leanne Dempster acted positively and didn't blame anyone else for our fans behaviour..
    The politicians won't miss this statement and all Celtic have done is stoked the fire. Schoolboy error Victim FC.

Celtic have flagged up that they are part of the problem and will always seek to deflect rather than addressing the issue at hand.

The politicians are comin' to get the arsecheeks..........if brexit is ever sorted out.
    Dempster, as always, one step ahead of the curve.

“Smeltic”. Are you a child?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    A big bhoy did it and ran away!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    I can see what they are trying to say. Many clubs are subjected to sectarian chanting and sings from numerous other clubs so why have they decided to investigate this specific incident.

Hopefully it is the start of a clampdown in Scottish football rather than just looking at this one incident.
    Nothing gets done because when accused, everyone except very recently us and Hearts just go with the "aye but everyone else is worse" line.

It's not a legitimate complaint, it's a deflection tactic. Celtic and Rangers aren't interested in dealing with their sectarian problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Nothing gets done because when accused, everyone except very recently us and Hearts just go with the "aye but everyone else is worse" line.

It's not a legitimate complaint, it's a deflection tactic. Celtic and Rangers aren't interested in dealing with their sectarian problem.
    This

Sectarianism is too lucrative for Celtic and Rangers to clamp down on. Their supporters are defined by it. They wont bite the hand that feeds them.

Testimonial Due
    The Old Firm do the same thing every time. It's so transparent. They have no interest in tackling sectarianism.

Nobody at Celtc or The Rangers is going to clamp down on sectarianism and risk alienating their core support.

They'll say the absolute minimum required, and only if under extreme pressure to be seen doing so.

The other side will ALWAYS be more guilty.

Celtic’s response was as predictable as it was pathetic. As pathetic as Sevco claiming their fans were entitled to engage with Hibs supporters in 2016 to protect their players. Deflect, Ignore, Repeat.

Seriously, even the most bigoted politicians must now be thinking these two Glasgow clubs are the thickest thickies in Thickville and that something needs to be done about them. The Celtic statement should have been condemned by the media, but they’ve shown time and again they are also part of the problem.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Celtic’s response was as predictable as it was pathetic. As pathetic as Sevco claiming their fans were entitled to engage with Hibs supporters in 2016 to protect their players. Deflect, Ignore, Repeat.

Seriously, even the most bigoted politicians must now be thinking these two Glasgow clubs are the thickest thickies in Thickville and that something needs to be done about them. The Celtic statement should have been condemned by the media, but they’ve shown time and again they are also part of the problem.
    Totally agree but unfortunately I have no confidence in the authorities or government to treat all clubs fairly on this matter. There may be changes or legislation brought in but I suspect that it will still result in the OF being allowed to continue sectarian singing.
    Last edited by neil7908; 16-04-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

Spot on.

People claim to want sectarianism dealt with but they want someone else to do it first. Hibs and Hearts have had a lot of stick from our/their own fans recently but at least the clubs are showing a bit willingness to admit that there is a problem and to try and deal with it.

That statement from Celtic is depressingly predictable. 'Aye we are sort of sorry but other people do it too and some of them are worse than us.' Ultimately if there was a real desire on their part to tackle the issues within their own support it wouldn't matter that others do it too; they would tackle their own issues then look elsewhere with a legitimate entitlement to claim a moral high ground. As said above though there is no desire from Celtic, Rangers, the SPFL or the SFA to deal with sectarianism beyond paying lip service. It's worth far too much money to all involved.

First Team Regular
    It’s depressing to see such a limited understanding of the moral high ground

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    It’s depressing to see such a limited understanding of the moral high ground
    I don’t think anyone has moral high ground in Scottish football when it comes to this issue. We all turn a blind eye to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I don’t think anyone has moral high ground in Scottish football when it comes to this issue. We all turn a blind eye to it.

Our own club included puts pounds over principles.

Left by mutual consent!

Everyone always goes out their way to even stuff up though. If it’s a week of condoning 40,000 shouting vile at Lennon for example they will go out their way to find a story of a Dundee fan smashing up a seat or something.

@hibs.net private member PeeKay's Avatar
    Including McInnes himself, who made no comment when the exact same song that he has complained about was targeted at Gerrard by Aberdeen supporters.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeKay View Post
    Including McInnes himself, who made no comment when the exact same song that he has complained about was targeted at Gerrard by Aberdeen supporters.
    And like Celtic right away you point a finger at McInnes, and there by lies the problem, it's always someone else's fault.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    And like Celtic right away you point a finger at McInnes, and there by lies the problem, it's always someone else's fault.
    With that take, this thread is dead and there is no scope for discussion on this forum which thrives on whataboutery.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Our own club included puts pounds over principles.
    Yes, I have to agree. Let's be honest, the bottom line always wins out at all clubs. However, we must give credit to both Hibs and Hearts for their recent tough action against the nutters; it's something the Old Firm are afraid to do because the scale of the problem is so large.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Yes, I have to agree. Let's be honest, the bottom line always wins out at all clubs. However, we must give credit to both Hibs and Hearts for their recent tough action against the nutters; it's something the Old Firm are afraid to do because the scale of the problem is so large.
    There will be games at Easter Road and Tynecastle between now and the end of the season (and also the visits of both Edinburgh clubs to Glasgow) that will inevitably produce the usual nonsense.

It will be interesting to hear if Hibs and Hearts are keen to continue their hard line on unacceptable conduct.

FWIW I'm very happy with the way both clubs have addressed recent problems and if anything arises then I look forward to their continued tough action and willingness to highlight and tackle unacceptable behaviour.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    There will be games at Easter Road and Tynecastle between now and the end of the season (and also the visits of both Edinburgh clubs to Glasgow) that will inevitably produce the usual nonsense.

It will be interesting to hear if Hibs and Hearts are keen to continue their hard line on unacceptable conduct.

FWIW I'm very happy with the way both clubs have addressed recent problems and if anything arises then I look forward to their continued tough action and willingness to highlight and tackle unacceptable behaviour.

Yes, it has to be a long term battle and not just a token gesture. Time will tell.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member PeeKay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Don't understand where you think I said that the abuse aimed at McInnes was someone else's fault. I have no problem with his complaint against Celtic supporters, which was justified, but feel that it would be strengthened by consistency and therein would most certainly lie the moral high ground. Across Scottish football I think the moral high ground must be a pretty lonely place.

I’m also happy enough with recent steps the club have taken. It’s the problems the club seems happy to ignore that I’m less happy about. We should be making it clear to all fans of all clubs that visiting Easter road is contingent on good behaviour and absence of any sectarian abuse. Otherwise ticket allocations are cut. Our principles should not be for sale unless of course we have no such principles.

I’m also happy enough with recent steps the club have taken. It’s the problems the club seems happy to ignore that I’m less happy about. We should be making it clear to all fans of all clubs that visiting Easter road is contingent on good behaviour and absence of any sectarian abuse. Otherwise ticket allocations are cut. Our principles should not be for sale unless of course we have no such principles.

I agree with you 100%, and the exact words you have used could be refashioned slightly if Hibs wanted to make a statement on this issue.

They won't, as long as there are a few thousand blue pounds to be had though.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    On the Stevie G issue I seem to recall that DMc backed the action but made the statment that he was happy to help out so long as the investigations and punishments were consistant. Making sure that Aberdeen were not going to be on the hook when Rangers and Celtic get off with it time and again.

How can Stevie Gerrard be an Orange B'st'rd if he's a Roman Catholic?

If, as some suggest, it's a sectarian slur against Protestants...then it can't possibly apply to him.

@hibs.net private member
    I agree with you 100%, and the exact words you have used could be refashioned slightly if Hibs wanted to make a statement on this issue.

They won't, as long as there are a few thousand blue pounds to be had though.
    I don't think it is as simple as telling them to behave. We have to be seen to get our house in order first. Then we can take the high ground.