hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up Mackie Shield/Leith Cup/ Leith Primary Schools XI

This may have been asked on here before so apologies if it has...but. Did anyone ever play in the finals of the Mackie Shield or Leith Primary Schools cup...and/or represent Leith Primary Schools XI at any stage (the select team that played in the Scottish Cup and v Edinburgh Primary Schools not just the Leith Primary School team) There was also a 6's at Warriston too at some stage.

If so I'd be interested in the competition, opponents, result and year...and for Leith Primary Schools XI just the year. Very little is coming up on Google and I thought it was the sort of thing that would have been recorded somewhere?

Cheers,

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Charlton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may have been asked on here before so apologies if it has...but. Did anyone ever play in the finals of the Mackie Shield or Leith Primary Schools cup...and/or represent Leith Primary Schools XI at any stage (the select team that played in the Scottish Cup and v Edinburgh Primary Schools not just the Leith Primary School team) There was also a 6's at Warriston too at some stage.

If so I'd be interested in the competition, opponents, result and year...and for Leith Primary Schools XI just the year. Very little is coming up on Google and I thought it was the sort of thing that would have been recorded somewhere?

Cheers,
    I was in the Holy Cross team that won the Mackie Shield at Warriston in 1964 (?), then went on to win the Leith Schools Cup the following year.

I can't remember our opponents or the scores!!!!!

I was in the Silverknowes Primary team that won the Mackie Shield in 1982 beating Fort Primary 4-2,wow 30 years ago.

First Team Breakthrough
    I was in the Silverknowes team that won the Mackie Shield in 1978 (Not sure of the result or opposition may have been Fort), we then when went on to win the Leith Cup the two following years 1979 vs St Mary's 3-2 win (after being 0-2 down) and then 1980 vs Granton 4-1.

Blog Entries
    My story's a tad different. I played in the younger Holy X primary team as a centre forward. The wonderful Alan Lugton was goalie for the older team. One day, after playing in my game, Luggy was sick/injured & couldn't play in the next game so I was drafted in as an emergency keeper!! I'd never played there before but had a blinder & we won 3-1. A Leith selector was there so next week I was playing in goal in final trial for Leith schools!! Of course I was s***, we lost 4-0 & my keeping career was over! I probably also ruined Alan's as I'm sure they thought I was him, well for one week anyway!!

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    My story's a tad different. I played in the younger Holy X primary team as a centre forward. The wonderful Alan Lugton was goalie for the older team. One day, after playing in my game, Luggy was sick/injured & couldn't play in the next game so I was drafted in as an emergency keeper!! I'd never played there before but had a blinder & we won 3-1. A Leith selector was there so next week I was playing in goal in final trial for Leith schools!! Of course I was s***, we lost 4-0 & my keeping career was over! I probably also ruined Alan's as I'm sure they thought I was him, well for one week anyway!!

I played in the Leith cup final for Bonnington a long time ago. We get beat by Royston. Still have the medal somewhere. It was probably around 1987 or so I think.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NGP View Post
    I was in the Silverknowes team that won the Mackie Shield in 1978 (Not sure of the result or opposition may have been Fort), we then when went on to win the Leith Cup the two following years 1979 vs St Mary's 3-2 win (after being 0-2 down) and then 1980 vs Granton 4-1.
    I left Silverknowes in '74, we had some great teams right through the 70's winning the Mackie shield and Leith cup regularly. Sad to think the school's not there any more. They couldn't even muster a team in the later days.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Talking about Leith schools is like talking about Sevco. Third division material. Everyone knows that it was Edinburgh Select that was top division. :)

My dad played in the Mackie Shield final for Bonnington against Groathill in 1965 when they lost 5-3.

He played in the Leith Schools Cup Final for Bonnington against Holy Cross in 1966 when they won 2-0.

He also played for Leith schools in the Scottish Cup in 1966 when they lost 2-0 (he thinks) to Fife schools.

Hope this helps.

Was the ^ a side comp for lieth schools not the Gary Stuart Cup

If so I can give you lots of details on this

I played for Leith Schools Select team in the 70,s we played Edinburgh Schools select in the first round
    at Warriston and beat them 5.2.
    We had a fantastic side that beat school select teams all over Scotland eventually getting beat in the Scottish Cup Final
    from Hamilton Schools select.
    Leith Select also got to the final 4 years earlier in the 70,s but also lost.
    At the time these were the only two occasions the Leith Select ever got to the final.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    In true bohemian style I played for Stockbridge Primary 81-82 (the 'big team')

We never won a single game in 2 years the closest a 1-1'draw.
    We did however progress in the Warriston cup - we got a bye - then thumped ;)

We also had a girl who played in goals until someone grasses up. Out bully was also a girl - Stocky was big on equality back then before it became a location, location, location hotspot...

I wasnt scarred cos I'm a winner in life ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

First Team Breakthrough Long suffering's Avatar

Mackie Shield

My brother played for Wardie in the final of the Mackie Shield in 1963 at Warriston. The photo of the Wardie team says the trophy was shared but doesn't say who the opponents were. Think it was a 2-2 draw - no penalty shoot outs in those days!

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    In true bohemian style I played for Stockbridge Primary 81-82 (the 'big team')

We never won a single game in 2 years the closest a 1-1'draw.
    We did however progress in the Warriston cup - we got a bye - then thumped ;)

We also had a girl who played in goals until someone grasses up. Out bully was also a girl - Stocky was big on equality back then before it became a location, location, location hotspot...

I wasnt scarred cos I'm a winner in life ;)
    stocky were a strange team...my eldest played for them a few times even though he doesn't like football...the team was made up of the daughters of raging feminist alkies and the sons of long haired hippy stoners...the boys weren't interested and the girls just wanted to kick the boys in the other team as their mothers had force fed them valerie solanas books.....they never won any games ever and the coach insisted on everyone doing whatever they liked regardless of the fact that no one wanted to be a defender.

like many on this thread i played for holy cross but they'd stopped producing top class players by the time i put on the famous green and gold and i cant remember what any of the tournaments we played in were called...we did produce a few decent ice hockey players though?!

Quote Originally Posted by spudhib View Post
    I was in the Silverknowes Primary team that won the Mackie Shield in 1982 beating Fort Primary 4-2,wow 30 years ago.
    You must have been the game before us that year as I think 82 was the year Wardie beat Leith 8-3 in the Leith Cup Final...Mackie Shield was generally played immediately before I think?

Yeah Mackie Shield was the early game,never got to the Leith cup final as we got pumped by our local rivals Wardie the next year in the first round which was a pity coz both those teams had a shout at being the best teams around.

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    stocky were a strange team...my eldest played for them a few times even though he doesn't like football...the team was made up of the daughters of raging feminist alkies and the sons of long haired hippy stoners...the boys weren't interested and the girls just wanted to kick the boys in the other team as their mothers had force fed them valerie solanas books.....they never won any games ever and the coach insisted on everyone doing whatever they liked regardless of the fact that no one wanted to be a defender.

like many on this thread i played for holy cross but they'd stopped producing top class players by the time i put on the famous green and gold and i cant remember what any of the tournaments we played in were called...we did produce a few decent ice hockey players though?!
    What a fabulous post! Hilarious. Made my day. You should write comedy.

My own claim to Leith School's fame goes back to the late 50's and the social conditions prevailing at the time. I went through Pennywell primary with never less than 54 pupils in the class. Multiply this by similar schools in West Pilton, Granton, Royston, and the main secondary, Ainslie Park, could not cope with intake numbers. It meant that we had to repeat our final year at Primary based on date of birth. In that extra year I was delighted to be selected for Leith Schools. A few days before our game against Edinburgh our 'coach' Mr Dawson came into our class to check my date of birth presumably for registration purposes. Having been too young for Ainslie I was now 2 months too old for the select team. No money, *rse oot the troosers but fabulous days.

First Team Breakthrough grantonhibee's Avatar
    played in 2 finals with granton primary , lost one won one ,all post a pic of it i still have it , also played for edinburgh schools , granton primary in 1988 where a great side won 12 trophies over the 2 seasons .lost one final to hermitage our only loss over the 2 seasons , 4-3 if i rememeber correctly scored a hat trick but lost , once home all pop up the pic

Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post

Cheers,
    I played in the Mackie Shield final for Pennywell Primary against Wardie at Warriston in season 61/62.
    The final score was 2-2 so we got the Shield for six months each.

Quote Originally Posted by Long suffering View Post
    My brother played for Wardie in the final of the Mackie Shield in 1963 at Warriston. The photo of the Wardie team says the trophy was shared but doesn't say who the opponents were. Think it was a 2-2 draw - no penalty shoot outs in those days!
    I played in the final for Pennywell against Wardie but I'm sure the year was 61-62 unless, that is, Wardie reached the final again in 63. We shared the cup for six months each and I do remember it was a midweek game.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by happiehibbie View Post
    Was the ^ a side comp for lieth schools not the Gary Stuart Cup

If so I can give you lots of details on this
    Played for Muirhouse primary about 1970 and won Gary Stuart cup.Think it was first year it was played.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post

Tremendous post dunno how I missed it - was prob around the time my youngest was born so probably cranially challenged ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I played in goals for the Leith Primary School team. In 1984 we won the Mackie Shield beat Silverknowes 7-1 in the final. In 1985 the same team won the Leith Schools Cup beating Ferryhill 5-3 in the final - both games played at Warriston Playing fields. We had an excellent team and from memory we were unbeaten in the 2 years the team were together.

I was lucky enough to be picked for the Leith Schools XI team to play in goals. My best memory of playing for the select team was playing Edinburgh Schools XI before a Hibs v Rangers game at ER for some Challenge Cup. Jackie McNamara Jnr played in the Edinburgh Schools team up front and he scored twice that day. From memory Edinburgh won 4-1.

I remember trying to kick the ball up the slope and it did seem like a big slope  I also remember the Rangers fans trying to put me off when I was in the goal at the Dunbar End  Tam McNiven presented the medals at the end and we got to watch the Hibs Rangers match for free - we were allowed into the enclosure beside the tunnel under the radio Hibs box 

I think the Rangers fans caused loads of trouble that day in the ground the skinheads from memory !! Bunch o Neanderthals !!

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    I played for Wardie against Fort in the Mackie Shield in 1980.

We survived an own goal effort from yours truly when it was goalless to win 4-1.

The Inspectors cup final was played immediately after ours.

Silverknowes Team 1976

Hi guys, I was in the Silverknowes team (wee team) that won the Mackie Shield and I played in the team that also won the Gary Stuart cup (six a side) both games played as Wardie, from memory we beat Granton in the Mackie Shield two nil, and beat Fort by the same score. I have a photo of the team with the Gary Stuart cup, will dig it out and post it up, there were at least two or three good Hibby's in that side! Also remmeber we were being kicked from behind by disgruntled Fort fans as we were collecting our medals after the final whistle and the dressing room windaes got tanned in as well..had to make a quick escape in the managers (John Kay) car! Happy days!!

Gary stuart was my brother I did not win the cup when it was my turn to play got beat on corners NIGHTMARE. the first team to win it was his classmates Kieth summers Alex Mckenzie can't remember anymore for the record he would have been 56 this year unbelievable to think the cup is still around today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by happiehibbie View Post
    Gary stuart was my brother I did not win the cup when it was my turn to play got beat on corners NIGHTMARE. the first team to win it was his classmates Kieth summers Alex Mckenzie can't remember anymore for the record he would have been 56 this year unbelievable to think the cup is still around today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that you Stevie I played in that team Ronnie Hackland.

Quote Originally Posted by drkhibs View Post
    Hi guys, I was in the Silverknowes team (wee team) that won the Mackie Shield and I played in the team that also won the Gary Stuart cup (six a side) both games played as Wardie, from memory we beat Granton in the Mackie Shield two nil, and beat Fort by the same score. I have a photo of the team with the Gary Stuart cup, will dig it out and post it up, there were at least two or three good Hibby's in that side! Also remmeber we were being kicked from behind by disgruntled Fort fans as we were collecting our medals after the final whistle and the dressing room windaes got tanned in as well..had to make a quick escape in the managers (John Kay) car! Happy days!!

John Kay ran the Leith Schools XI in my year 1985 - I remember him driving an auld clapped oot car - I'm sure he had a greyhound dog too 😀😀

Quote Originally Posted by drkhibs View Post

Was this 1982 if so I played up front in your team lol.edit though I'm sure it was played at warriston so maybe not.
    Last edited by spudhib; 29-05-2015 at 07:35 PM.