hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar

Edinburgh Capitals v Belfast Giants

Anyone who's at a loose end Sunday evening (30/9) should get along to Murrayfield Ice Rink for 6pm. The Belfast Giants have been one of the most successful sides of recent years but haven't had a good start to this season. Meanwhile the all new "get stuck right in to everyone" Edinburgh Capitals are protecting an unbeaten home record from the start of the season.

The Norn Irlanders always bring a good support and there's always a good atmosphere at this game.

I predict a fast and furious clash with a good bit of on ice boxing thrown in for good measure.

Could be old time hockey at its best!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Looking forward to this. The Giants normally bring a good support over

@hibs.net private member Pheona's Avatar
    mutter....mumble..... hmph....

and.....and.....who the hell toldCarson he was a referee....

That was a great advertisement to bring in new fans ... not!
    Anyone who went along for the first time tonight will be wondering why would I bither going back!!!

That was a throwback to last seasons rubbish and the only good things about the night were that we won the two fights and my missus won the 50/50 draw!

Belfast looked distinctly average and the Capitals distinctly amateurish!

5-0 Belfast BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    mutter....mumble..... hmph....

and.....and.....who the hell toldCarson he was a referee....
    He wasn't quite good enough to be clueless! Made Moray Hanson look NHL standard.

Obviously got told off by the Cardiff Devils after getting on their wrong side last week.

Left by mutual consent!
    Was it a sell-out??

my neighbour was taking his lad and the lad asked if Morgan could go withthem and her dad apparently said "yes, that would not be a problem if it wasn't sold out".

I read you were expecting a big turn out from Belfast but wondered how do they get back???

Plane from Edinburgh or bus/morning ferry??

A fair crowd but not a sell out. Espcially considering the NHL opener was also on at the O2 arena.

Usually the bus/ferry, well when Caps go to Belfast, assuming it is much the same when they come here.

Left by mutual consent!
    A fair crowd but not a sell out.
    thought it might have been a bit of parents poetic licence........

@hibs.net private member
    My boys are away to watch Edinburgh Capitals against Newcastle. They haven't been before but are keen. We got a couple of free kids tickets from my sons school and hopefully they will enjoy it enough to go along now and again

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberni-mum View Post
    My boys are away to watch Edinburgh Capitals against Newcastle. They haven't been before but are keen. We got a couple of free kids tickets from my sons school and hopefully they will enjoy it enough to go along now and again
    They certainly weren't lucky mascots Jill.
    Best chance ever to make the Challenge Cup semi finals and the Capitals capitulate 4-0 and once again show zero spirit, zero fight (until young Ross Dalgleish started a fight in the last minute!) and basically zero ability.

Time for the coach to go I fear!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PC Stamp View Post
    They certainly weren't lucky mascots Jill.
    Best chance ever to make the Challenge Cup semi finals and the Capitals capitulate 4-0 and once again show zero spirit, zero fight (until young Ross Dalgleish started a fight in the last minute!) and basically zero ability.

Time for the coach to go I fear!
    Scott loved it! The wee ones were a bit fed up but they are like that at the footy too. I think Scott will be back.

Scott loved it! The wee ones were a bit fed up but they are like that at the footy too. I think Scott will be back.
    Glad he enjoyed it. It's a fantastic sport played at such speed. Unfortunately most teams seem a bit quicker than ours at present!

If he wants to see a proper team, Coventry Blaze the reigning champs and current leaders are at Murrayfield next Sunday. I fear a severe hockey lesson may be dished out!

@hibs.net private member
    Glad he enjoyed it. It's a fantastic sport played at such speed. Unfortunately most teams seem a bit quicker than ours at present!

If he wants to see a proper team, Coventry Blaze the reigning champs and current leaders are at Murrayfield next Sunday. I fear a severe hockey lesson may be dished out!
    He's got a free ticket for that too so I think he'll manage to persuade his dad to take him back

Oh blimey! They picked the wrong time to go because they are not at their best at the moment, lots of problems. They couldn't buy a win at the moment.

It is good that they are trying to encourage youngsters to go. Ross loves it.

This game couldn't come at a worse time really. The defence is really needing something done methinks, and they need a sniper to, start scoring some goals.

He's got a free ticket for that too so I think he'll manage to persuade his dad to take him back
    Good on him, anyway he's a Hibee he'll be used to the feeling of ....um......despair

Fair points F.

If Jeff State did in fact ever make it to the NHL it's not surprising to see why he failed to make it and indeed why he's never made it anywhere else. He's like a big 6ft 8inch pussycat!

Luza is actually well named as he will never be anything else but a Luza!

Stutzel & Crane are two blokes dressed up in a hockey outfit on the ice but then so are the two wee lads who faff around during the intervals as mascots!

Stefischen looks like he's lost if he can't go looking for a scrap ... which was really what was needed early on to gee up the team and fans.

I feel sorry for Hemingway ... or maybe I don't because I suspect he'll be offski shortly just like Silverthorn & Dickenson!

As for Perras ... he'd probably have been safer joining the Army as opposed to playing in net for that lot!

In closing, I also hope the coach has been put on two weeks notice because it's clear that he's either way out of his depth or the players aren't listening to him!

Still we'll likely hear again this week how determined he is to right this ship!

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Taking a comprehensive beating is bad enough but I always think it's twice as bad when your team gets shut out. There's nothing for the fans to hang on to - nothing to cheer. I recall watching the Nottingham Panthers getting beat by Cleveland at home 0-10 one time. It was worse than embarrasing and I couldn't stand it any longer after the seventh had gone in and retired to the bar! (Must be quite humiliating having been scored on seven times ;-) )
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    Taking a comprehensive beating is bad enough but I always think it's twice as bad when your team gets shut out. There's nothing for the fans to hang on to - nothing to cheer. I recall watching the Nottingham Panthers getting beat by Cleveland at home 0-10 one time. It was worse than embarrasing and I couldn't stand it any longer after the seventh had gone in and retired to the bar! (Must be quite humiliating having been scored on seven times ;-) )
    Must be, be we wouldn't know.

For me what was more embarressing is losing not one but 2 short handed goals, 4, if you count last week, which I won't because it didn't happen, I didn't see a thing. I am in denial.

For me what was more embarressing is losing not one but 2 short handed goals, 4, if you count last week, which I won't because it didn't happen, I didn't see a thing. I am in denial.
    At least last night's two weren't within 30 secs on the same powerplay!

At least last night's two weren't within 30 secs on the same powerplay!

See.... there is improvement!

It's when you lose a goal on a powerplay, Chills - now that's embarrassing! (Or is that what they were?)

Ah that old saying - 'you don't win games from the penalty bench'. They never learn do they (thank goodness!)

Don't worry about Coventry. The Panthers beat them 1-0 at home the other week and they're not brilliant! Apparently hard work and good old fashioned two-way skating from the players was the key. You're alwyas in with a chance if you can show that.

Good luck Caps!
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

It's when you lose a goal on a powerplay, Chills - now that's embarrassing! (Or is that what they were?)

Ah that old saying - 'you don't win games from the penalty bench'. They never learn do they (thank goodness!)

Don't worry about Coventry. The Panthers beat them 1-0 at home the other week and they're not brilliant! Apparently hard work and good old fashioned two-way skating from the players was the key. You're alwyas in with a chance if you can show that.

Good luck Caps!
    ooops! that is what I meant to say. .

What they need to do is stop chopping and changing the lines every week as well, they never know who they are playing with.

Here's hoping!

Very surprised to know there was such in-deph analysis on here for the ice hockey!

I used to go to Manchester Storm quite regularly a few years ago (including a 17k sell out against the Steelers...fantastic!) but drifted out of the habit because of Sunday games clashing with the rugby - the Phoenix have risen from the ashes and have a new rink at Altrincham so I might well get along there again although my last game against Cardiff a couple of years ago reminded me exactly why I enjoyed it at 12/13 years old but maybe less so as I get a little older!

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Very surprised to know there was such in-deph analysis on here for the ice hockey!

I used to go to Manchester Storm quite regularly a few years ago (including a 17k sell out against the Steelers...fantastic!) but drifted out of the habit because of Sunday games clashing with the rugby - the Phoenix have risen from the ashes and have a new rink at Altrincham so I might well get along there again although my last game against Cardiff a couple of years ago reminded me exactly why I enjoyed it at 12/13 years old but maybe less so as I get a little older!
    You have an old Edinburgh or should I say Murrayfield favourite there at the moment in the form of Tony Hand.

You'd be surprised bud - there's a few NHL games between us on this thread!

I recall that sell out at Manchester, shame that it couldn't endure. Went there once and it was impressive. I also went to the original Altrincham rink a couple of times and what a place to play hockey that was! Lethal is the word I think. I recall sitting on a very low balcony behind a goal dodging slap shots all night.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

You'd be surprised bud - there's a few NHL games between us on this thread!

I recall that sell out at Manchester, shame that it couldn't endure. Went there once and it was impressive. I also went to the original Altrincham rink a couple of times and what a place to play hockey that was! Lethal is the word I think. I recall sitting on a very low balcony behind a goal dodging slap shots all night.
    Didn't they have netting instead of fibreglass around the rink IIRC? Never went to an Aces game although I always meant to - Blackburn rink is supposed to be impressive although I've never been myself.

The way things worked out with Storm was a huge shame - there was an average of 7,000+ plus for a couple of seasons, and it was heartbreaking to go to games a couple of years on and there'd only be 2-3,000 there, a scenario that meant the club couldn't afford the rent at the MEN and had to look for alternative accomodation, which included playing in Wales at Deeside for quite a period.

Didn't they have netting instead of fibreglass around the rink IIRC? Never went to an Aces game although I always meant to - Blackburn rink is supposed to be impressive although I've never been myself.

The way things worked out with Storm was a huge shame - there was an average of 7,000+ plus for a couple of seasons, and it was heartbreaking to go to games a couple of years on and there'd only be 2-3,000 there, a scenario that meant the club couldn't afford the rent at the MEN and had to look for alternative accomodation, which included playing in Wales at Deeside for quite a period.
    Can't quite remember. There was some netting and perhaps some plexi behind the goals??? It was enough to stop a skied shot going up into the crowd behind that one end. This would have been around 1983-ish and at that time the original Nottingham rink also only had netting behind the goals with the sides completely open to the play. My girlfriend of the time found out how inadequate this was when she collected a d-man's lofted clearance right on the forehead one night.

Yeah it's a great shame about the original Manc team. I rmember that particular era everyone was talking about a new order of 'arena hockey' in the UK. Not only was there Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Newcastle and London but also talk of a Leeds team and what of course became the Oddysey in Belfast. Shame it never really took off in the way it should have.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mglancy23 Wii Code: 5354 5735 9094 1582

Talking

am going to my first ice hockey game tonight

easy win for the capitals against the league leaders

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mglancy23 Wii Code: 5354 5735 9094 1582
    Quote Originally Posted by mglancy23 View Post
    am going to my first ice hockey game tonight

easy win for the capitals against the league leaders
    good call

lets go capitals lets go

Funny that their two week notice period ends tomorrow and they turn in a performance to beat Coventry tonight. Shame they couldn't do it last night against Basingstoke.

A good win but too late for some I fear.