hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rangers & Celtic don't generally sign Scottish based players on the basis that they want better players than Scotland can provide.
    Exactly!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    What does better players mean?

Really?

I don't think it's a dumb question. Better. It's a pointless word to use.

We've had players that are 'better' than the players if other teams across the park. They still beat us.

It's not about better players. It's about a better team.

You can have a team of the best players in the world and not achieve anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Rangers & Celtic don't generally sign Scottish based players on the basis that they want better players than Scotland can provide.
    Its false logic to think that buying players that ‘know the Scottish game’ is the way forward domestically. Better to find markets that are affordable, absolutely nothing wrong with going fishing in Australia, or the Nordics like Aberdeen are doing. I dont even have a problem with shopping at Rainbow FC, despite our recent history of getting burnt. Football is football, its the quality of the information thats important.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    I don't think it's a dumb question. Better. It's a pointless word to use.

We've had players that are 'better' than the players if other teams across the park. They still beat us.

It's not about better players. It's about a better team.

You can have a team of the best players in the world and not achieve anything.

So ‘better’ is a pointless word to use in regards to players…but it’s ok to use better in regards to a team.

Fair enough mate.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Yep, a good reply and all fair points. I just think that buying up some of the best domestic talent might be a "quick fix" to get us closer to where we want to be. Agreed on the old firm although their budgets allow for a higher standard of player brought in from outside Scotland so less risk.
    In the summer of 2013 we signed 8 permanent players, all from the British Isles. 7 of the 8 had experience of Scottish Football and 6 of them played in the Scottish Premiership the previous season. These players added to a squad that already contained 10+ Scots and a number of others with league experience. During that season we brought in a manager with extensive knowledge of Scottish football.

We ended up relegated - turns out it that where a player comes from or what their experience of the league is doesn’t trump ability. What matters is signing the best players/staff we can irrespective of where they come from.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Yep, a good reply and all fair points. I just think that buying up some of the best domestic talent might be a "quick fix" to get us closer to where we want to be. Agreed on the old firm although their budgets allow for a higher standard of player brought in from outside Scotland so less risk.
    Yep, not against signing Scottish players at all if they are good enough.

Just don’t think we should only look there, to the exclusion of everywhere else.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Recent signings from Scottish league. Gogic Magennis JDH Mackay Tait no doubt others. Bit of a mixed bag to be fair.

Getting from the Scottish market is always a mixed bag, for every John McGinn there's Drey Wright, unfortunately more Wrights than McGinns.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Getting from the Scottish market is always a mixed bag, for every John McGinn there's Drey Wright, unfortunately more Wrights than McGinns.
    Deliberately blanked Drey out of my memory

Interesting that against the backdrop of a clamour for more proven Scottish signings, Maolida has dropped in on loan, hit the ground running and been a resounding success.

Not sure what point I’m trying to make here but when Kamberi came in on loan he was a resounding success as well… then when he returned as a permanent signing with a track record in Scottish football he didn’t do nearly as well.

Every signing carries risk and every market will see successes and failures.

We have a culture of choking when it really matters and an inferiority complex when it comes to Hearts. That's the harsh reality. Our mindset is ***** and has been for years. The culture needs to change but that is a hard thing to change in the short term. That will only change through impressive results and winning games we are expected to win when the pressure is high more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    So ‘better’ is a pointless word to use in regards to players…but it’s ok to use better in regards to a team.

Fair enough mate.
    I think so yeah.

My point was that individuals are not the issue, its the collective that matters.

Anyway, prob missing each others point, as is easy to do on here

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    I think so yeah.

My point was that individuals are not the issue, its the collective that matters.

Anyway, prob missing each others point, as is easy to do on here
    Aye.

Let's call it a 0-0 draw and move on