156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go

28 17.95%
  • Stay - Continue as key player

98 62.82%
  • Stay - As a squad player

30 19.23%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I voted stay as a squad player. I like Joe but i'm hopeful we'll bring in better than him with the investment. That's not a dig at Joe as i rate him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Probably not getting the response the OP hoped for so far...

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'd like him to stay, there are a few i'd get rid of before him, but saying that i'd like us to replace him with better.

I hope he becomes a good squad player.

I don't mind him staying but I think he plays a part in our lack of urgency at times. I think the slow tempo and lack of urgency is the thing that annoys me more than anything about Hibs the last few years.

Sometimes he takes too many touches when one or two would do then moving the ball on (I get that involves other players moving off the ball which we arent great at). He's clearly an important player to the team and it's true that if Newell has a good game then Hibs generally do too. I'd also like to see him be more assertive and on the front foot when we don't have the ball. He done it once on Saturday (just after Campbell came on) where there was a loose ball and he got in and drove forward, played it into Marcondes who played a quick ball round the corner to Campbell out wide. More of that kind of football and more of that kind of play from Newell I'd like to see.

Nothing less than 1 million lol

Just seen this and amazed 60% class him as a key player. Imo if we want to be 3rd/4th continously we need better than him playing every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted stay as a squad player. I like Joe but i'm hopeful we'll bring in better than him with the investment. That's not a dig at Joe as i rate him.
    That's where I am with him as well. Nowhere near as good as some on here think and nowhere near as bad either. Really good squad player to have IMO, but not nearly consistent enough performance wise to be a 'first name on the team sheet' kind of player.

First Team Breakthrough
    What a stupid post, yes let’s get rid of our most influential player in past two seasons after finishing bottom 6.

Quote Originally Posted by lugz View Post
    Just seen this and amazed 60% class him as a key player. Imo if we want to be 3rd/4th continously we need better than him playing every week.
    I think we need to improve

1 x goalkeeper
    2 x centre half
    1 x centre forward

Before we think about trying to improve in Newell. Having that around him and NWM would help massively imo.

At the end of the season when Marcondes and Maolida leave too then that’s another attacking midfielder and left winger we need to improve before him, imo.

We’re not not challenging for European places because of Newell, he’s the obvious errors in recruitment and positions we recruit for the past 3 years.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 22-04-2024 at 07:49 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauzee1989 View Post
    What a stupid post, yes let’s get rid of our most influential player in past two seasons after finishing bottom 6.
    No sure this is the win you think it is

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    The situation would be much worse without joe Newell.

I suspect that Joe Newell would get in the Hearts first team in midfield - for me he is better than Devlin or Baningime or Grant. He of course needs to be more consistent and a bit more structured in his play - I do think he does too much some times, partly because his fellow midfielders were not doing their job but that then detracts from his overall performance. If he has quality alongside him (either as a holding midfielder or attacking midfielder) he would shine.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauzee1989 View Post
    The situation would be much worse without joe Newell.
    How much worse?

Joe stays 100%

Surround him with better quality he’ll flourish.

Plenty good qualities.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Newell on his day is one of the best midfielders in the league.

Newell off his game doesn't influence games, but he still works his arse off.

100% keep.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Well, at least we now know the noisy minority is, in fact, a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    Most influential? The influenced - be careful who is doing the influencing!

Totally agree 😂

60% of folk have watched him float round the park , for 5year, and conclude that he’s the guy to bring glory back to ER - frightening

‘Flatters to deceive’ is perfect for a player like Newell

@hibs.net private member
    He's one of the very few in the squad that I'd keep a hold of.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy32 View Post
    Totally agree 😂

60% of folk have watched him float round the park , for 5year, and conclude that he’s the guy to bring glory back to ER - frightening

‘Flatters to deceive’ is perfect for a player like Newell
    I don’t think anyone is saying he’s the guy to bring glory back to ER.

More a recognition that in the attempt to bring back glory, while rebuilding the squad, replacing Newell is far from an immediate priority

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    I don’t think we’re going to be able to carry out as big a rebuild as we actually need in one window. So we’ll need to keep some of the better players we have to fill out the squad. So for that reason I’d be keeping Newell.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    I don’t think we’re going to be able to carry out as big a rebuild as we actually need in one window. So we’ll need to keep some of the better players we have to fill out the squad. So for that reason I’d be keeping Newell.
    Agree.

I’d love us to replace Newell with better. I’d love even more for us to replace the players poorer than Newell with better, which is pretty much all our midfield.

Once we replace them with better, we can think about Newell.

What amazes me is how simple Mowbray made it all look when he was manager. Take the example of O'Connor. He saw he had an important role in the team but there was no cover so signed Morrow as a cheap back up until Fletcher could fill the role to some extent. Then, when O'Connor was about to leave, he signed Killen as a replacement. This kind of planning and replacement happened successfully all over the team, except for the goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Agree, we are not going to absolutely gut the squad in the summer as it's a costly business and we probably won't have the budget to do that anyway.

It takes time over a few windows to do this which brings us back to the managers position in do we stick or twist ?.

Newell isn't one of the players that should be a priority to move on imo , theres others well below Newell on that list.

Only thing about Newell for me is you either get this guy that's playing fantastic or you have a passenger in midfield . I suppose I'd like to keep him though have someone else so we aren't relying on him in every game .

Joe Newell is a typical example of everything that is wrong with Hibs at the moment. Slows play down so much with his backwards passing, yet when he does play on the front foot he's an exceptionally good player. Personally, I've had enough of the sometimes exceptional, mixed with below par or average, performances. We need players who are consistently good in all games - it's one of the reasons why we are so easily beat by many teams. Our best player, probably! But we need better higher tempo players! Time to move on Super Joe.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Joe Newell is a typical example of everything that is wrong with Hibs at the moment. Slows play down so much with his backwards passing, yet when he does play on the front foot he's an exceptionally good player. Personally, I've had enough of the sometimes exceptional, mixed with below par or average, performances. We need players who are consistently good in all games - it's one of the reasons why we are so easily beat by many teams. Our best player, probably! But we need better higher tempo players! Time to move on Super Joe.
    Those players very rarely exist in world football, even rarer to exist in Scottish football. Even rarer-er in Scottish football outwith Rangers and Celtc.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Those players very rarely exist in world football, even rarer to exist in Scottish football. Even rarer-er in Scottish football outwith Rangers and Celtc.
    I know I'll get shot down for this... but think of peak Lewis Stevenson. Or maybe Paul McGinn. These were both very steady, consistent performers who maybe didn't hit the heights that others did but they very rarely dropped below a certain level of performance either.

There's definitely something a bit funny about how hot and cold some of our current players are. Whilst it's fine to maybe have one who is like that, if we're considering Newell and Youan to be amongst our best players and you don't know from one week to the next whether they're going to turn up or not, it removes a bit of the mystery as to why we've been a mid table or bottom 6 side these past few years.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I know I'll get shot down for this... but think of peak Lewis Stevenson. Or maybe Paul McGinn. These were both very steady, consistent performers who maybe didn't hit the heights that others did but they very rarely dropped below a certain level of performance either.

There's definitely something a bit funny about how hot and cold some of our current players are. Whilst it's fine to maybe have one who is like that, if we're considering Newell and Youan to be amongst our best players and you don't know from one week to the next whether they're going to turn up or not, it removes a bit of the mystery as to why we've been a mid table or bottom 6 side these past few years.
    I think it’s a good point about the number of key players we have that blow hot and cold and not enough steady eddies, like prime Stevenson or Paul McGinn, throughout the team to compensate.

Some posters still argue Newell isn’t inconsistent or has been good all season. Off the top of my head I can think of 9 games where we got the version of Newell that didn’t turn up - St Mirren at home x 2, Motherwell at home ( after an outstanding team performance for the opening 20 minutes) x2, St Johnstone home and away, Forfar, Livingston at home. 70 minutes away to Killmarnock until Maolida came on/the red card. That’s 8 league games of the 33 to the split or 24% of our games.

You could make similar lists, or worse in number of cases, for all of the squad, bar Maolida, and it explains yet another season in the bottom 6.

Edit, don’t think Newell played away v St Johnston for the eagle eyed.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 23-04-2024 at 07:47 AM.

Newell is the least of our problems. He's not as good as some posters think but he's above average for our level.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I think it’s a good point about the number of key players we have that blow hot and cold and not enough steady eddies, like prime Stevenson or Paul McGinn, throughout the team to compensate.

Some posters still argue Newell isn’t inconsistent or has been good all season. Off the top of my head I can think of 9 games where we got the version of Newell that didn’t turn up - St Mirren at home x 2, Motherwell at home ( after an outstanding team performance for the opening 20 minutes) x2, St Johnstone home and away, Forfar, Livingston at home. 70 minutes away to Killmarnock until Maolida came on/the red card. That’s 8 league games of the 33 to the split or 24% of our games.

You could make similar lists, or worse in number of cases, for all of the squad, bar Maolida, and it explains yet another season in the bottom 6.
    His last three league games were also a no show The Rangers A St Johnstone H and Motherwell A disappointing from our captain if anything he is inconsistent