hibs.net Messageboard

Hillsborough Disaster - 35 years ago today.

Where has all the time gone? 😳

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where has all the time gone? 😳
    I know, I was a mere 21 years old!

RIP 97 YNWA
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 15-04-2024 at 10:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    One of my first football related memories... I was 6. I remember specifically the horrifying photographs in the newspapers over the following days.

RIP to the 97.

I was there with my Dad and Grandfather, as a 9 year old, in one of the pens to the side of where the crush was.

The silence in the car driving home lives with me until this day, as does the relief of my Mother and Grandmother when we got home.

Remembering attending Anfield with my Grandfather to lay flowers a few weeks later.
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 15-04-2024 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I know, I was a mere 21 years old!

RIP 97 YNWA
    5 days before my 18th!

I was in a club down in Blackburn playing snooker when it came on the TV, everyone stopped to watch the unfolding disaster. Drove home next day to go to Hampden to watch Hibs get beat by Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi (3-1 if I remember correctly). 35 years !!! 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    I was there with my Dad and Grandfather, as a 9 year old, in one of the pens to the side of where the crush was.

The silence in the car driving home lives with me until this day, as does the relief of my mother and grandmother when we got home.

Remembering attending Anfield with my Grandfather to lay flowers a few weeks later.
    It wasn't a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. It was obviously pre mobile phones and we didn't realise how bad it actually was, I didn't phone home until we got to York Station which initially didn't go down too well until relief set in that we were ok. I still remember sitting on the terracing at Hampden the following day wondering what it was that I was actually doing there, 3-0 down after about 20 minutes but, not particularly bothered.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 15-04-2024 at 11:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Should never be forgotten of course for the poor souls who died however also for the despicable establishment cover up in the aftermath. God bless the Families Support group who tirelessly campaigned and were treated with deaf ears in the main.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    My Mum and Dad were waiting to go out for their wedding anniversary, of course it was pre mobile phone days so they had no way of knowing if I was safe or not until I got home. The people of Sheffield opened their doors and offered to let supporters use their house phones, if memory serves me right the telephone exchange couldn’t cope and calls were impossible. The most sombre return journey on a supporters coach ever. The wait to see if everyone arrived back at our coach whilst listening to the fatality numbers rising on the radio reports was harrowing. Fortunately everyone on our coach made it back safely. Still bringing a tear to my eyes if watch the dramas or documentaries associated with that horrible day.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Should never be forgotten of course for the poor souls who died however also for the despicable establishment cover up in the aftermath. God bless the Families Support group who tirelessly campaigned and were treated with deaf ears in the main.
    Quite right.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I still remember exactly where I was, who I was with and what we were doing as the TV pictures were coming through. Hibs losing to celtic the next day was almost an irrelevance after what happened. Very sad day for everyone who loves football. RIP

I'd been at a Boro 0-0 draw away at QPR. No internet or mobiles in those days, so all I was hearing from the odd person with a radio was "crowd trouble" at the Liverpool game. With Heysel still fresh in the memory the reaction of most people around me was "bloody Scousers again".
    It wasn't until I saw the Sunday paper in the pub the next day that I even realised what had actually happened. Different times!

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    My Mum and Dad were waiting to go out for their wedding anniversary, of course it was pre mobile phone days so they had no way of knowing if I was safe or not until I got home. The people of Sheffield opened their doors and offered to let supporters use their house phones, if memory serves me right the telephone exchange couldn’t cope and calls were impossible. The most sombre return journey on a supporters coach ever. The wait to see if everyone arrived back at our coach whilst listening to the fatality numbers rising on the radio reports was harrowing. Fortunately everyone on our coach made it back safely. Still bringing a tear to my eyes if watch the dramas or documentaries associated with that horrible day.
    The Jimmy McGovern drama starring Christopher Eccleston and Ricky Tomlinson (amongst others) is excellent. Harrowing to watch and brilliantly acted.

J

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I still remember exactly where I was, who I was with and what we were doing as the TV pictures were coming through. Hibs losing to celtic the next day was almost an irrelevance after what happened. Very sad day for everyone who loves football. RIP
    I was at my Granny’s house in the Inch aged 8. Remember being shocked seeing the news reports flash up. It’s almost one of those JFK, 9/11 type days.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    One of my first football related memories... I was 6. I remember specifically the horrifying photographs in the newspapers over the following days.

RIP to the 97.

Not quite 9 years old at the time, I had prior football memories, but this was the first time I remember football impacting in the real world.

I remember standing looking at the newspapers in the shop in the following days, and wondering how steel fencing could be so incredibly warped and damaged just by human bodies.

Coaching Staff
    Remember getting news of the tragedy on waking up, and later that day going to an Australian v Israel World Cup game at the then nearly constructed new Sydney Football Stadium with Bolton Hibee.

The crowd had been underestimated and was pay at the gate and had it not been for Bolton Hibee and myself helping late comers get over a barrier in place behind the goals there could have been another tragedy as literally hundreds of people were rushing for the remaining seats at our end.

The polis wouldn’t let anybody on the track over the fences and there were more people in the ground, than the full capacity…to this day nobody knows what the true crowd was.

Got my 15minutes of fame and ended up on Channel 10 News the next day..
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 15-04-2024 at 04:01 PM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I'm the same age as you and was there (as well as the same tie the year before) as well.

Very very quiet car home, and similar to you we couldnt actually make the phone calls until well up the road.

Bodies being carried on advertising hoardings and people climbing to the upper tier is what stays with me..........

My parents etc were incredibly worried, but god only knows how the parents of those who died felt - especially as they were demonised by the ******* Sun and ******* Police.

I was reading an interesting piece the other day about the Hillsborough survivors group now working with Nottingham Forest fans who were there that day.

It was forgotten that they were on scene eye witnesses to a tragedy most of us have only seen because of video footage. Many were left with lasting issues because of what they saw and the injuries or bereavements they helped tend to. It was largely a silent trauma and many people have since, not at all surprisingly, been diagnosed with PTSD.

It's almost unfathomable that such an incident was allowed to happen, particularly when there had been such a close call at the Spurs v Wolves game at Hillsborough only a few years earlier. The match referee undoubtedly saved lives that day.

RIP to all the poor souls who went to support their team and didn't make it home.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Was in the St James centre and saw it unfolding on TV in a shop window. Said to my wife that there would be multiple deaths as the fences at Hillsborough were almost impossible to climb to escape the crush. My mind went back to the CS gas incident at Easter Road when people were pinned up against the fence, and the police were slow to act to open the gates.I had to lift a girl so she could get onto the pitch, I climbed the fence. There was no inquiry into the incident at Easter Road, if there was the fences would have been highlighted as a hindrance to crowd safety.

RIP the 97.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I was a young laddie still at school. Hard to believe 35 years have passed, and it’s disgusting the families of the victims had to wait decades for truth to be acknowledged. With good policing it wouldn’t have happened, but there were catastrophic failures in the panic.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I was 9 at the time. I remember being in my bedroom, turning on the TV and Des Lynam saying something like “let’s see how they’re getting on at Hillsborough”. I saw people on the pitch and thought it odd to have a pitch invasion so early in the game. Then I realised what was happening. It’s heartbreaking to think of those 97 people who just wanted to watch their team play football.

He used to be the unofficial 97th victim until the actual passing of Andrew Devine, 32 years after the event.

Stephen Whittle gave away his match ticket for Leppings Lane to a mate. The mate died. Whittle never got over the guilt and grief, taking his own life under the wheels of a train. He left £61000 behind for the Hillsborough Families fighting fund. Tragic loss and now seen as the unofficial 98th victim of the tragedy

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...eadmore-target

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    He used to be the unofficial 97th victim until the actual passing of Andrew Devine, 32 years after the event.

Stephen Whittle gave away his match ticket for Leppings Lane to a mate. The mate died. Whittle never got over the guilt and grief, taking his own life under the wheels of a train. He left £61000 behind for the Hillsborough Families fighting fund. Tragic loss and now seen as the unofficial 98th victim of the tragedy

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...eadmore-target
    That is tragic and shows along with the reference to the Forest fans above the impact of the event despicably
    compounded by nefarious actions of the authorities and politicians to not hold the people and institutions accountable. Thank goodness for the untiring work of the family group and academics like Phil Scraton who eventually got some recognition too late that was for many of the bereaved family members who died in between times.

Link to Phil Scraton on his Queens University page. Short video outlining the truth of what happened.

https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofLaw/pre-law-reading/phil-scraton/
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 16-04-2024 at 08:16 AM.