hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is he staying?

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar

Is he staying?

This is not about whether he should/you want NM to go; rather, the question is whether he will be here for the start of next season or not?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    He absolutely will be. (Sadly)

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He absolutely will be. (Sadly)
    Aye, agree. If he survives finishing bottom six and isn't punted in the next day or so then he'll get the summer window.

If he is at the POTY bash tonight I think that tells us all we need to know. He will be here next season(unless he somehow gets us relegated through the playoffs) at this stage nothing is off the table

I don’t think he’ll be away anywhere between now and the end of the season. Beyond that, I’m not sure.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Yes. It’s a massive mistake though imo and could cause a lot of damage. The support has been remarkably resilient in attending so far but I think STs will take a dip for next season and the mediocrity I predict to follow it will only see crowds drop further.

I doubt we will be able to overhaul as many players as we require to make a poor manager look successful.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Aye, agree. If he survives finishing bottom six and isn't punted in the next day or so then he'll get the summer window.
    Surely there is another scenario? I see little point in appointing a caretaker unless it was someone being considered for the job. Monty's position could easily be reviewed at the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Musselbound View Post
    Surely there is another scenario? I see little point in appointing a caretaker unless it was someone being considered for the job. Monty's position could easily be reviewed at the end of the season.
    Just don't see the point in giving him the rest of the season if we’re cutting ties. Much more likely we'd just punt him and let Gray see out the season.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Just don't see the point in giving him the rest of the season if we’re cutting ties. Much more likely we'd just punt him and let Gray see out the season.
    Fair enough. That's a possibility too.

I think he'll stay. I'm convinced we are going to double down and give him the summer barring a near impossIble disaster in the bottom 6 that ends with us in the play offs.

I'd like to hear some communication from the club either way. Either he goes tomorrow or we come out and say Monty is our man. I doubt it will happen though, the ability to batten down the hatches has persisted regardless of who is running the show at Hibs.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Can’t just keep sacking managers, he will get the summer and and another transfer window.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazu62 View Post
    Can’t just keep sacking managers, he will get the summer and and another transfer window.
    We can especially when they fail to meet minimum requirements. Finishing behind Killie, st Mirren and Dundee is totally unacceptable. I hope it’s in his contract that if he didn’t get top 6 we can boot him out for free or on the cheap

Agree and hopefully he will.

One of the other problems I have with him staying (apart from the obvious) is that I think the start to next season is going to be tough for any manager… and with zero goodwill in the bank it feels inevitable that we’d end up repeating the mistakes of this season by giving him the bullet early next season - thus writing off another season as a transitional season.

When Stubbs had a rebuild this size it took him until about November to get his team playing. Unless Hibs manage to do something they’ve basically never done before, the team we’re going to start the season with is going to be pretty eye-wateringly poor. Whoever is in charge at that point is going to need patience and understanding of some sort - something Monty has no chance of getting.

This problem won’t be on him but he’ll carry the can for it.
    Last edited by Smartie; 15-04-2024 at 09:23 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think the thing to ask is has he improved the team? That's got to be minimum requirement. Yes , we can bang on about VAR and ref's, but these can be overlooked somewhat if the team was improving week on week.

Unfortunately, the answer has to be no, there's been no improvement, probably more regression, and that cannot continue to happen.

Losing out on top 6 has cost us a few million in terms of attendance, hospitality, placings and chance of Europe.
    That will now have to be offset with Foley's money , reducing transfer cash next season

I was expecting him to be away yesterday and it to be announced today. The fact he was at the awards thing has me really concerned that he'll be here next season. Another season with this football doesn't bare thinking about. My enthusiasm for Hibs is dwindling under him.

Are the rumours about his family not settling and wanting to return to Australia true?

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    I'll be genuinely astonished if they move him on. I think they certainly should but I very much doubt they will. Kensell and Gordon

These two guys will in no way want to admit that they got a third managerial appointment comically wrong. So that likely means he gets the summer window and probably the first half of next season to prove that their 'we are such clever boys' appointment worked. Very much like their player wheeling and dealing strategy over recent years.

I really don't know why all other clubs don't also adopt this clever strategy of having people with zero football knowledge putting their fingerprints all over the footballing side of the club. Still, it's another Hibs first so we'll be able to crow about that in years to come...

I think he's going to be here next season if he survives today.

Also think it's a unsustainable situation because as soon as we lose one game next season, rightly or wrongly folk are going to be on his back. It was the same with Johnson at the start of this season.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I think he's going to be here next season if he survives today.

Also think it's a unsustainable situation because as soon as we lose one game next season, rightly or wrongly folk are going to be on his back. It was the same with Johnson at the start of this season.
    I suspect that the only way they would shift him is if there was some kind of significant and sustained supporter reaction. There won't be because we are now in a state of general apathy nurtured and sustained by the entirely dull season, style of play and style of leadership we have been fed over this season and prior to that.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Unfortunately, I think he's going nowhere. As someone mentioned, Kensell and Ian Gordon will double down on this. It has been rumoured that McDermott is on his way out. That'll probably be spun that he's taking the blame for this hellish season. That'll briefly take the heat off Kensell and Gordon until we no doubt have a bad start to the season next season and we are back in a transition season.

I'm really hoping Foley shows some ruthlessness here and brings in his own man.

Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    We can especially when they fail to meet minimum requirements. Finishing behind Killie, st Mirren and Dundee is totally unacceptable. I hope it’s in his contract that if he didn’t get top 6 we can boot him out for free or on the cheap
    What sort of people would move someone from Australia to Scotland then sack them after 6 months. I don't have much faith in the people running the club but surely they feel some sort of responsibility to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    What sort of people would move someone from Australia to Scotland then sack them after 6 months. I don't have much faith in the people running the club but surely they feel some sort of responsibility to him.
    Their responsibility is to Hibernian Football Club before anyone else.

Their reluctance probably stems from the fact that their jobs are now under the microscope too.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Unfortunately, I think he's going nowhere. As someone mentioned, Kensell and Ian Gordon will double down on this. It has been rumoured that McDermott is on his way out. That'll probably be spun that he's taking the blame for this hellish season. That'll briefly take the heat off Kensell and Gordon until we no doubt have a bad start to the season next season and we are back in a transition season.

I'm really hoping Foley shows some ruthlessness here and brings in his own man.
    I can see this outcome a mile off.

So typically Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I suspect that the only way they would shift him is if there was some kind of significant and sustained supporter reaction. There won't be because we are now in a state of general apathy nurtured and sustained by the entirely dull season, style of play and style of leadership we have been fed over this season and prior to that.
    There wasn’t really any supporter action against Johnston. A few grumbles but nothing wide spread or sustained.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    I can see this outcome a mile off.

So typically Hibs.
    How is it typically Hibs when we have been sacking managers in a regular basis recently?

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    There wasn’t really any supporter action against Johnston. A few grumbles but nothing wide spread or sustained.
    The Livi game at ER certainly had levels of anti-LJ chanting that hasn’t been heard since relegation IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    The fans turned on him during his last game and it had that feeling of there not being any way back for him from there. It certainly wasn't sustained but it wasn't insignificant either.

That game had exactly the same "straw that broke the camel's back" feeling about it as Saturday, where many (most) waverers turned.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    So what should we do? Ignore the fact that he's failed to demonstrate an ounce of capability and sit back and watch us continue to plummet just cos it won't be very nice of us to sack him?

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    Yes, yes we can.